The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New PHASE ONE 645DF Medium Format CAMERA

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Elinchrom skyports are good up to 1/1000th both directions. The Ranger S heads max duration is 1/1150 IIRC and the Quadra is 1/1300th... So bottom line is your limitation would be the skyport. If you wanted 1/1600th, you'd have to connect directly and maybe use a speed head to insure its longest duration was less than 1/1600th. For me, having just 1/1000th available for my battery strobe fill is AWESOME...
Just a quick technical note:

It's NOT essential that the flash duration be 1/1600th or faster.

Flashes curve up, and curve down, and the flash duration is usually quoted as either the point where 50% or 90% of the flash power has been put out. If your flash duration were a bit longer than 1/1600th you would lose some power, but there should not be any ghosting or artifacts.

Most flash units have shorter flash durations as they are turned down, so if need be you could simply dial the flash to half power.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Understood Doug, but you could lose a chunk of the flash's output power if it's duration is say 1/1150th and you are shooting at 1/1600th...

LJL

Jack,
That was my point about timing of flash sync. The next important part to know is when the flash power peaks. Some build and peak late, others peak early and trail. (Those are the "curve up and curve down" things Doug mentions.)

Doug,
The issue of ghosting can still occur if there is a slow shutter duration coupled with a long duration flash. That was my point about the focal plane shutter speeds. The leaf shutter speeds, being able to be much faster, should significantly reduce that problem.

As it looks now, the new lenses should be capable into the future a bit more.....at least until sync devices catch up on transmission speeds.

Is there a hardwire (sync cord) feature on the lens or is it the camera body that controls everything? (I would hope that latter, but worth asking about.)

LJ

J

jingq

uh.
you already see some flash fall off at 1/400th of a second using a Pro 6 pack ,progressively getting worse as flash sync goes up.
1/1600th of a second is great but it being practical?I don't know.
Even my still life friends who shoot pin sharp water droplets don't need such a flash sync.

either way, good job on getting a new body out. albeit USD$6000

Dave Gallagher

Used the DF and LS lenses this weekend and honestly was really impressed. I truly believe that Phase and Hasse are now on an even playing field after the DF body and LS lenses ships.

My Impressions:

Lag is improved dramatically. It was almost undetectable. Focus was 30-40% faster than the older unit. In my eyes, the AFD II and III were not applicable cameras to fashion or lifestyle shooting. However, this unit finally is. The camera will have 1/800th flash synch and 1/1600th with certain new Phase backs attached. That gives this body a range of 1 hour to 1/4000th of a second exposures. It has the ability to use manual hasse lenses, 645 manual lenses, 645 AF lenses, and all of the new D line. This is a huge range of options.

We only had a few minutes with it but it is worth the wait. Some features that have been improved: Mirror up mode, custom function sets,focus trap, enhanced bracketing, programable exposure lock and focus buttons. And the vertical grip looks great! However, it will not be out this year. I took pictures of the grip (not made of wood this time) and was asked not to show them. It should have built in Pocketwizard, and use both lithium Ion and AA's.

The 80mm LS (Leaf Shutter) and DF body will be available this month. The 55mm LS available by December and the 110mm LS by first quarter. But most importantly..... the Schneider glass looked very impressive. The glass was made and designed in Germany but assembled in Japan. Strong sharpness and beautiful bokeh.

Capture One 5.0

It will be available on October 28th (hopefully)

- All present Leaf cameras will be compatible but no word on older ones. (my guess would be yes though)
- Live Preview is back
- Focus tool is improved with multiple focus points and small focus window and can float.
- Focus Mask tool , works like exposure warning but highlights areas that have sharpness in each thumbnail
- Metadata now has unlimited customizable entries
- Dust eraser in raws
- Uniform Light tool replaces LCC's and is applied. Also fixes up to 4 stops of falloff!
- Indivdual RBG channel mods is back
- Vignetting on crops
- strong Watermark tool
- Simplified and corrected Importer from CF cards with activity monitor (yes, you guys will be happy with this)
- Customizable tabs. You can eliminate all the tabs if you want to or add new ones.
- Local "apply all" on each tool
- improved noise reduction
- Session tab pull down menu added

OK, thats about all I have for now. On a plane back home in the AM.

LJL

hmmm....I can smell another "Mancuso kit swap" coming.....

AFDIII for 645DF
P30+ for P40+
80mm f2.8 for the 80mm f2.8 LS

Just cannot imagine Guy NOT wanting to do this ;-)

LJ

thomas

Capture One 5.0 ...
Focus tool is improved with multiple focus points and small focus window and can float.
great! Does it replace the second viewer or is this an inhanced viewer?
Metadata now has unlimited customizable entries
very good
Dust eraser in raws
for all cameras or only DBs?

Uniform Light tool replaces LCC's and is applied. Also fixes up to 4 stops of falloff!
could you please describe this? Does that mean we don't have to shoot LLC shots anymore?
I assume we can switch off the light falloff correction?

Indivdual RBG channel mods is back
finally!

Vignetting on crops
that's fine

Local "apply all" on each tool
"apply all" in the sense of copy&paste adjustments to a selection of images? That would be great!

improved noise reduction
hopefuly they fixed the bug with the preset as well

what about the stitcher? It has been said it will come back "vastly improved".

Some good news, thanks for sharing!

Dave Gallagher

Forgot to say....

The $1500 upgrade to the DF still applies to anyone who bought from September 2008 to 9/25/09.

Dave Gallagher
President
Capture Integration
http://www.captureintegration.com

Phase One, Leaf, Cambo, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo, & More

Atlanta (404) 522-7662
Miami (305) 534-5701
National (877) 217-9870
Cell (770) 846-5223

Paratom

sounds like great news for phase owners.
Schneider glass and leaf-shutter - 2 advantages of the Hy6 system now also available for Phamiya. (just kidding) seriously, sounds like good news.

Ben Rubinstein

customizable audio feedback e.g. on focus lock
Sorry, this made me laugh... :ROTFL:

OK so you get one stop better sync with the very very few flash heads that can actually do it and only with certain P1backs. I'm sure the 'blad folks are really worried.

Sorry guys, still seeing pretty much nothing to ever pursuade me, a 35mm shooter, that this camera has anything to do with the past almost decade of camera design from this century. I'd even add the last half decade from the past century to that.

lovep

I'm glad I sold my AFD II and Leaf back last week. Shoot Nikon for a couple of months, then transition to the PhaseOne w/ leaf shutters by the end of Q1, 2010!!! YES!!!!!!

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Dave, thanks for the Capture One 5.0 info. Hopefully this is for both Mac and Windows - correct?

Can you provide a little more info on the Uniform Light tool replaces LCC's and is applied.

What about compatibility with Windows 7 (release date October 22) 64 bit machines?

Much appreciated.

October 28 release for 5.0 - just a few days after we return from Oregon so we can all give it a workout processing the files from the trip!!!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
C1 version 5 sounds really nice . Looking forward to that upgrade. I think it was a 100 dollar upgrade to previous 4.0 owners but we will have to see what that pricing will be. Certainly I am going for it as well as the new body. But I'm a gear slut so what does anyone expect me to do . LOL

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Dave, thanks for the Capture One 5.0 info. Hopefully this is for both Mac and Windows - correct?

Can you provide a little more info on the Uniform Light tool replaces LCC's and is applied.

What about compatibility with Windows 7 (release date October 22) 64 bit machines?

Much appreciated.

October 28 release for 5.0 - just a few days after we return from Oregon so we can all give it a workout processing the files from the trip!!!
Maybe we can hopefully see a demo first hand Charlie at the workshop , that would be a nice addition.