The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New PHASE ONE 645DF Medium Format CAMERA

yaya

Some of the nice (and practical) new features:

LS lenses: through custom functions 17 and 18 you can set the body to switch from leaf shutter to focal plane shutter automatically as soon as it goes beyond 1/800 or to force it to stay with the focal plane shutter (to save shutter life). It is interesting to hear the sound changing as it switches shutters but it works really well.
AEL and AFL buttons can be swapped.

There are less custom functions and they are simplified, plus there are 3 "C" settings for say fashion, outdoors and still life...you can programme these to use different shutter settings, different mirror behaviour etc. The main dial does not have a lock button so you can switch settings/ modes with your thumb.

645DF Vs 645AF:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Some of the nice (and practical) new features:

LS lenses: through custom functions 17 and 18 you can set the body to switch from leaf shutter to focal plane shutter automatically as soon as it goes beyond 1/800 or to force it to stay with the focal plane shutter (to save shutter life). It is interesting to hear the sound changing as it switches shutters but it works really well.
AEL and AFL buttons can be swapped.

There are less custom functions and they are simplified, plus there are 3 "C" settings for say fashion, outdoors and still life...you can programme these to use different shutter settings, different mirror behaviour etc. The main dial does not have a lock button so you can switch settings/ modes with your thumb.

645DF Vs 645AF:

I love the 3 custom functions on the dial without lock. I never knock those off anyway so a lock is not needed but shooting events I can make 3 custom functions for jumping in and outdoors . Same for wedding guys and others as well. I like this idea

I see a new eyecup but more important I see some change in the grip. It looks wider at the thumb area and in the front looks different , now it could be the angle this was shot as well. The changes in the little buttons looks better as well and easier to maneuver .

Thanks for posting this, it helped me see it better.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
plus there are 3 "C" settings for say fashion, outdoors and still life...you can programme these to use different shutter settings, different mirror behaviour etc.
We have that now -- that is 3 user custom sets -- just they are not direct on the dial, but all three under the CF icon on the dial. Actually it's 4 with user 0 as factory defaults, then 1, 2 and 3 for differing sets of custom functions.

yaya

I love the 3 custom functions on the dial without lock. I never knock those off anyway so a lock is not needed but shooting events I can make 3 custom functions for jumping in and outdoors . Same for wedding guys and others as well. I like this idea

I see a new eyecup but more important I see some change in the grip. It looks wider at the thumb area and in the front looks different , now it could be the angle this was shot as well. The changes in the little buttons looks better as well and easier to maneuver .

Thanks for posting this, it helped me see it better.
The grip yes it is a bit different, the rear part is a bit wider and the bottom is narrower (less rubber) so at least for my (small) hands it feels more secure. I walked with it around Barcelona last night for 2 hrs and did not get any cramps:)

The focus confirmation beep is quiet enough not to disturb and works well also with V series lenses

Guy Mancuso

I also have small hands and this sounds so much better. I suffer with arthritis and a thinner grip was what I was hoping for. This just became a no brainer for me. Upgrading immediately

Christopher

Another question regarding C1 5.0. Will we finally be able to use LCC files or the new Uniform Light tool for none IIQ Files ? For example to correct color casts from other cameras. ( Right now I'm especially thinking about the Leica m9 and wide non Leica lenses, which as for now seem to be unusable.)

thomas

Another question regarding C1 5.0. Will we finally be able to use LCC files or the new Uniform Light tool for none IIQ Files ? For example to correct color casts from other cameras. ( Right now I'm especially thinking about the Leica m9 and wide non Leica lenses, which as for now seem to be unusable.)
you can correct color cast in Photoshop. Of course it would be handy in C1 but at least there is a workaround...

Guy Mancuso

Hope I am reading this correctly here is the size and weight of the DF

Size
W, H, D // 6, 5, 7.2" // 153, 128, 184mm
Weight
35 oz. / 1030g. w/o batteries

Now the AFDIII

Size
6"(W) x 5"(H) x 7.2"(D) (153 x 128 x 184mm)

Weight
61oz. (1730g). w/o batteries / 1730g

Now that is a big difference in weight

Here is a P40+ with DF PDF

Than a link to the AFDIII
http://www.mamiya.com/645afd-iii.html#Specifications

kdphotography

Hope I am reading this correctly here is the size and weight of the DF

Size
W, H, D // 6, 5, 7.2" // 153, 128, 184mm
Weight
35 oz. / 1030g. w/o batteries

Now the AFDIII

Size
6"(W) x 5"(H) x 7.2"(D) (153 x 128 x 184mm)

Weight
61oz. (1730g). w/o batteries / 1730g

Now that is a big difference in weight

Here is a P40+ with DF PDF

Than a link to the AFDIII
http://www.mamiya.com/645afd-iii.html#Specifications
Too much difference in weight. My guess is that one of the measurements is the camera with a MFDB attached.

Is it too much of a coincidence that the link you provide is the DF with a P40+?? Tell us when it's on the way... :D

Guy Mancuso

I agree that is a major difference in weight and something maybe off on the AFDIII which sounds pretty heavy. I wonder about this.

P40+ is on the radar screen and so is the S2 . So is me going to jail from robbing the bank. LOL

tashley

Subscriber Member
I have asked Phase for this very feature....

Oren Grad

Too much difference in weight. My guess is that one of the measurements is the camera with a MFDB attached.
The 1730g specification for the AFDIII on the MAC website comes from Mamiya Japan's product brochure, which spells out that it includes both the 80/2.8 lens and a 120/220 rollfilm back. I'd guess the P1 645DF specification is body only, no back, no lens.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
I'm still curious on the flash sync spec. No one wants to take a guess at this?

If the camera has a custom function that switches from leaf to focal at speeds higher than 1/800th, where is the 1/1600th coming from? Certainly not from the leaf shutter. And if the camera was able to sync this high electronically (ie. using the CCD), why the need for leaf shutter lenses anyway?

Doug? Yair? Care to chime in? Do you guys have any details on this?

David

tashley

Subscriber Member
Great Tim. By chance any idea on weight does it feel lighter at all. I tend to think not but those numbers above are throwing me off.
It's gone now but I must say that even though the new lens is larger, the combo felt very in the same ballpark as the old setup but somehow, despite looking larger, it felt a little smaller and more natural in my hands.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I'm still curious on the flash sync spec. No one wants to take a guess at this?

If the camera has a custom function that switches from leaf to focal at speeds higher than 1/800th, where is the 1/1600th coming from? Certainly not from the leaf shutter. And if the camera was able to sync this high electronically (ie. using the CCD), why the need for leaf shutter lenses anyway?

Doug? Yair? Care to chime in? Do you guys have any details on this?

David
that, my friend, is smart analytical thinking! Kudos...