The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New PHASE ONE 645DF Medium Format CAMERA

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It's gone now but I must say that even though the new lens is larger, the combo felt very in the same ballpark as the old setup but somehow, despite looking larger, it felt a little smaller and more natural in my hands.
Thanks Tim might be the grip. The current one bugs me because of my hand size.

Christopher

I don't really use PS any more so a workaround is not an option. Just to much time waste. I still don't get it why Phase is limiting LCC files to Phase one raws...

carstenw

Profits? None of us can really know how it would really go if they were to open it up, but I can see why they think that way. Why help the competition improve their products too much? Somewhere they are bound to draw the line.

Steve Hendrix

Profits? None of us can really know how it would really go if they were to open it up, but I can see why they think that way. Why help the competition improve their products too much? Somewhere they are bound to draw the line.

I think this is partly correct, although I don't think it is so much a case of stinginess as it is profitability. The amount of time spent on producing LCC capability for multiple cameras that rarely encounter it is not going to have a payback. So it's not so much keeping the competition down as it is - is there a payoff for the effort itself.

That's my take anyway.

Steve Hendrix

tashley

Subscriber Member
I think this is partly correct, although I don't think it is so much a case of stinginess as it is profitability. The amount of time spent on producing LCC capability for multiple cameras that rarely encounter it is not going to have a payback. So it's not so much keeping the competition down as it is - is there a payoff for the effort itself.

That's my take anyway.

Steve Hendrix
I might be missing something here Steve, but C1's lens tab doesn't know enough about my Schneider 35xl to do any of the corrections it has pre-programmed for Phase's own lenses but as long as the file is a Phase Raw (tif) it will let you make and use an LLC profile. So it could do the same for any camera. I think....:D

Steve Hendrix

I might be missing something here Steve, but C1's lens tab doesn't know enough about my Schneider 35xl to do any of the corrections it has pre-programmed for Phase's own lenses but as long as the file is a Phase Raw (tif) it will let you make and use an LLC profile. So it could do the same for any camera. I think....:D

On the programming and implementation level I honestly don't know enough about what is involved in providing that functionality in the software. It could be really easy. But I still think it's a case of spending time on something that isn't going to have a payoff. Even if it is an easy process, my read is that the engineers have a huge list of priorities and there's a multitude of options, requests, etc that get pushed aside due to the priority rank.

To me, that's always been one of the most difficult elements of the product development process. "It would be great if we could also put in X, Y, Z, but we only have 26 days remaining to produce J, K, L...in order to release on such and such a date, etc..."

Steve Hendrix

Christopher

Well I can't hold it against phase and it certainly is a LOT more important that a 40k back can be used with live preview on BOTH mac and windows. Compared to a small LCC correction for some very few wide angle lenses on Leica cameras.

I just find it funny that Leica now ships with LR which has still no profile and Phase was much faster releasing one.

For the PS thing, yes I work on my fine art prints in PS, but only for prints at the last stage. (resizing and sharpening) Everything else is done in Lightroom.

Import with Lightroom --> Edit, select ---> use C1 as raw converter ---> re-inport 16bit Tiffs in Lightroom --> finish the files in Lightroom

When it comes to profit I think it is the other way around. Now that there are no real SIMPLE solutions anymore to use a 12mm or 15mm NONE-Leica lens, Leica will get quite a few people buying their lenses again. Yes there is PS and Corner fix, but the first is time consuming and the second son far not good enough with the m9.

Edit: Well i too don't know enough about programming, so I can't say if it is difficult or not. Just would be great to have if it is not.

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
There's a new version of cornerfix out as of now and it looks quite a bit better... but I agree, fewer steps and exceptions to workflow is good.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Hmm..... at the risk of :deadhorse:

Still no details on the "groundbreaking" flash sync?

Can anyone confirm that this is a real spec and if it actually works? I'm sure I'm not the only one interested.

While I would love to have seen this for myself and talk to those in the know about it, seems Phase One will be a no-show at Photo Plus.

I found out a few days ago that as a Mamiya Digital dealer, I will have the opportunity to sell the new 645DF with either a 33 or 56MP Leaf back. And, the info to dealers from Mamiya is about as vague as the press release from Phase. In other words, no one seems to know.

David

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Your beating a dead horse just like the S2 the new Hassy and this until they are out to dealers and others certain features and functions will come out. You know this better than anyone and as a dealer should you not be telling us.

thomas

Still no details on the "groundbreaking" flash sync?
Can anyone confirm that this is a real spec and if it actually works?
my reading of Yaya's post on LuLa is that the LS goes up to 1/800:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=38013&view=findpost&p=314448
The next big thing is the ability to use the LS lenses and to operate the focal plane shutter ONLY, thus saving on the leaf shutter life and enabling speeds of up to 1/4000 sec. You can also choose to let it switch shutters automatically: The LS up to 1/800 and then the FP takes over from there

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Your beating a dead horse just like the S2 the new Hassy and this until they are out to dealers and others certain features and functions will come out. You know this better than anyone and as a dealer should you not be telling us.
Guy, the difference is that I have personally field tested the S2. And even before that, I was able to get concrete information from the S2 product managers on features and specs.

I know that some Phase One dealers went to Denmark for the announcement last week. I'd assume that they had a chance to handle the new camera and talk directly to product managers/engineers. I was hoping that they might be able to offer some more details on such an important new feature. I can understand waiting on seeing final results, but given that the 1/1600th sync is a published spec and touted as one of the key features of the new camera. I'd expect that Phase One would be more forthcoming with details on this. Since nobody is sharing, I can only assume that no one really knows and we'll just have wait and see.

David

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I must say, while I love the concept of the S2 and the nice features and handling and all other stuff like Leica glass, I like even more what I see coming from Phase.

Their new concept appeals MUCH MUCH more to what I want (and I assume also many others):

1) removable digi back and thus easily scalable to new sensor generations
2) larger sensor size and more state of the art sensors (DALSA)
3) first time leaf and shutter speed lenses in this size of MF (sorry I do still not consider Leica S2 to be a MF camera)
4) new lenses from Schneider coming - for me at least equally good and great as Leica lenses, especially their new designs (and yes I know that there are some other opinions here ;))
5) The rest you can get very excellent Mamiya glass
6) New camera much faster
7) best flash sync in town - although I personally could not care less for that feature as mainly landscape photographer, but I understand that many are excited about this
8) most flexible system as backs are easily usable with view cameras
9) C1Pro - consider this still the best RAW PPSW together with PS CS4 after looking in the latest and greatest LR version and also Phocus

WRT Leica PM - well David, I m not soooo convinced about what they say and find and prioritize, simply the approach of smaller sensor size, less pixels should be made up by great new Leica processing (which due to their saying neither Phase nor Hasselblad could do better after all their experiences over the last years processing) and Leica glass???? I also talked to their PM in Vienna in September ....

Very big questionmarks and sorry, but sounds to me rather more marketing than really technically proven :thumbdown:

Last edited:

stephengilbert

David,

I think Leica's doing a great job delivering S2 articles. I'm sure yours will be welcomed.

Do they have plans for delivering any cameras soon?

Steve

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy, the difference is that I have personally field tested the S2.
Hi David,

How long ago did you field test the S2, presumably mid-August? Was this a production model or beta review sample? Exactly which lenses did you test with it? Can you please share a few of your test pictures from each lens?

Thanks,

dfarkas

Workshop Member
David,

I think Leica's doing a great job delivering S2 articles. I'm sure yours will be welcomed.

Do they have plans for delivering any cameras soon?

Steve
Still working on my S2 article, actually. The M9 introduction has been keeping me very busy lately and not leaving too much time for writing.

I just spoke with Leica a few days ago and the first delivery of S2s will be in 2 weeks. Depending on customs, the first units to hit the US will be in 2-3 weeks. There should be full production cameras at Photo Plus in NYC.

David