Site Sponsors

Thread: desire to build Frankenstein Mamiya digital camera

Post Thanks / Like

desire to build Frankenstein Mamiya digital camera

Love my AFD III with P45 back (of course, now I want a DF camera.. but that is another thread)

I am fascinated by home built cameras and I would love to build a simple box camera to attach my p45 back. Then on the front I could attach different lenses, pinholes etc..
    Not really interested in going an expensive view camera route.

Anyway.. I got to thinking, won't the P45 attach to older mamiya manual cameras? Such as the M645 pro?
    If so, where could I find a broken one to dismantle and play Dr. Frankenstein?
    I imagine I could remove the mounting plate from the back of a broken camera and use that to attach my p45 to anything I desire.

any thoughts?

ITS ALIVE!

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: desire to build Frankenstein Mamiya digital camera

Why not just attach it to an old view camera where you can even more easily attach anything you want up front AND retain the ability to easily move it in or out for focus?
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Why not just attach it to an old view camera where you can even more easily attach anything you want up front AND retain the ability to easily move it in or out for focus?
    Wanted to keep it small and homebuilt.
    Kinda super cheapy alpa tc.
    Can you recommend small view camera with mamiya mount that would be cheap for experimenting?

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Eric, there's a thread here showing a wooden "Alpa" as you're describing. It's a few months old.

Found it: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...ight=wood+alpa

Post Thanks / Like

I will share this with you. A client of mine who bought Lightphase 11 years ago did this. I had taken a Digiflex to show him one day. I also had the Truewide with me.He looks at both, decides that he cannot afford to buy so he just creates one in his shop. To start with he bought an extra dust cover because he noticed that it fit very well together. He then drilled a big hole an mounted a Copal Shutter to the mounting plate with a Nikon lens flange where he would mount various nikon lenses and pin holes modules. His interest is in wide angle with his early LP. He entire setup was V so he had a ground glass for a Superwide C that he would put own to focus. And he got sharper images, as sharp as we remember the LP being. LOL

I have an extra dust cover for Mamiya if you decide that may be a good starting place for you. Jack has a good idea on the view camera but the sliding backs are the majority of the cost. Used Flex adapters for around 1495 or less then the camera and lenses. If not shimming is going to be the tricky part to get the film plane to focus and allow you to use wide angle which is easy and longer lenses which is harder.

So that should get you thinking.

Chris Snipes
    Phase One Reseller
    Phase One Test Studio
    www.imageprduction.com
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by faneuil View Post
    Love my AFD III with P45 back (of course, now I want a DF camera.. but that is another thread)

I am fascinated by home built cameras and I would love to build a simple box camera to attach my p45 back. Then on the front I could attach different lenses, pinholes etc..
    Not really interested in going an expensive view camera route.

Anyway.. I got to thinking, won't the P45 attach to older mamiya manual cameras? Such as the M645 pro?
    If so, where could I find a broken one to dismantle and play Dr. Frankenstein?
    I imagine I could remove the mounting plate from the back of a broken camera and use that to attach my p45 to anything I desire.

any thoughts?

ITS ALIVE!

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have you seen the Paq Pro camera? Starting with an old Graflex body, you can end up with a hand-holdable MF camera. I don't know how expensive it would be to make a Phase adapter for it, but the camera itself is cool: http://www.skgrimes.com/paqpro/index.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Have you seen the Paq Pro camera? Starting with an old Graflex body, you can end up with a hand-holdable MF camera. I don't know how expensive it would be to make a Phase adapter for it, but the camera itself is cool: http://www.skgrimes.com/paqpro/index.htm
    Very cool and in target price range.
    Only issue is adapting for a digital back.
    Any solutions? I have asked the maker of paq pro too. no response yet.

Eric