The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photo Plus Expo 2009

Sully

I looked at the exhibitor list for the PDN trade show on Oct. 22-24, but did not see Phase One or Hasselblad in attendence. I called Digital Transitions and Capture Integration and both said they would not have booths at the show.
Foto Care has a booth. Maybe they will drag a Hasselblad H4 along with them.
I was hoping to look at the new cameras from Phase and Hassy, but alas a darkling sea spreads out before us. You would think that a trade show in NYC (arguably the city with the most professionals per square foot) would draw some attention from the high end camera manufacturers, but I guess not.
Economy? Malaise? Companies on the edge of survival? Leica will be there with the S2 I guess, but the system is so obscenely priced that a documentary video guy like me can not even seriously look at it. A couple of S2 bodies and a set of lenses costs even more than our "obscenely" priced HD video cameras. For a busy professional, trade shows offer a fast, easy way to see everything quickly in one place without a lot of traipsing around to different venues. I hope my research is wrong and both these companies show up somewhere at the show.

Ciao, Sully

Professional

OH No, i hope i9 will be lucky to be in New York, tomorrow [Saturday] i am flying to NYC, and i was looking for this trade show very much, paid for it so far, and if your news is correct then i will not enjoy it there then, i was looking to look for medium formats shows mostly Phase One and Hasselblad, but if those 2 top high end MF will not be one of the attendees then i think i will not spend long time there.

Ciao, Tareq

etrigan63

Many companies are refraining from attending every Expo that crops up in their field of endeavor, electing instead to go with the one that gives them the most bang for the buck. Apple no longer attends Macworld Expo. Canon is skipping PMA in favor of the Consumer Electronics Show. Mac Group will be at PhotoPlus so I can (hopefully) get a look at the Mamiya version of the 645DF with the new Leaf backs.

carstenw

I think that Canon skipping PMA for CES tells all too much about how they see themselves. Personally, I think it is a very bad move. Not only do they show themselves to be more concerned with the consumer electronics market, but they also show their aces a month before the competition, which could mean that they will constantly be getting the wind taken out of their sails.

Hassy typically has an off-site presence at a near by studio. Look around the web for that. Not sure if they are doing it this year. FotoCare will of course be there too.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hoping for maybe the new Phase 645 for the workshop in Oregon. PMA is really a dealer show than a consumer show and many have bailed out. Also if you have nothing new to show than you have to wonder why spend the money. But working in the corporate world as i do with clients all these shows that they used to attend have been sliced to more than half in attending. Bottom line it is basic economics and it has showed on my books in lost business from big companies. Photo Plus is a nice show but try getting a room in NY for less than 200 dollars per night. Hotel rates in NY have NOT gone down. My wife has to deal with hotels in NY all the time and rates are not on the low end.