The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Trade in Policy - Questions

PeterA

I would appreciate a response on the follwing questions please anyone from Hasselblad.

1. What is Hasselblads Euro-dollar trade in price of a H3D11-39 on a H4D-60?
2. What is the Euro- dollar price for a H4D-60?

3. Should these Euro price(s) be expected to be true any time for a given exchange rate conversion at the same time?

4. What do I do if the local dealer does not provide this price - modified for taxes and curency movements?

Thanks
Pete

carstenw

Is the Hasselblad upgrade deal independent of equipment condition? If no, it would not be possible to state a fixed price.

I would appreciate a response on the follwing questions please anyone from Hasselblad.

1. What is Hasselblads Euro-dollar trade in price of a H3D11-39 on a H4D-60?
2. What is the Euro- dollar price for a H4D-60?

3. Should these Euro price(s) be expected to be true any time for a given exchange rate conversion at the same time?

4. What do I do if the local dealer does not provide this price - modified for taxes and curency movements?

Thanks
Pete
Hi Pete,

I am not sure of your motivation in asking. Isn't it easier to just go local in Australia?

I think you would find most Euro dealers would be reluctant to ship and receive equipment over that distance.

Plus anyway, the pricing should be pretty similar.

D

PeterA

Hi David and thanks for responding.

I think I asked some very clear and straightforward questions. These questions are coming from someone who owns every fixed focal length lens in the HC lineup ( except for the 50) This question also comes from a person who owns and shoots with an H3D11-39. All the items above have been bought new in Australia - except for a 300mm lens. I have also purchased new in Australia a CFV11 back to go on a 205CC and a bunch of V series lenses.

I would describe myself as a good customer of Hasselblad.

Unlike a lot of BS artists you get to listen to or read in this and other forums - I have a significant stake in Hasselblad equipment.

All I wish to know is what my back is worth as a trade in on the new H4D body and 60 megapixel back. Why? because I like the new focus lock system - it means a lot to people who like to shoot wide open and hand held as much as they can.

I don't understand the 'secrecy' about pricing and I refuse to pay more for something in Australian dollars converted to Euro or US. Why? Hasselblad is a global brand and it should like all global brands sell for the same price - irrespective of which country you buy it in - adjusting for currency conversion and local taxes.

So I am asking a simple set of very fair questions. As a pretty good customer - am I guaranteed the exact same treatment as far as price goes in Australia as someone in the US or Europe?

If not why not?

I have no other agenda.

Thanks
Pete

Hey Peter,

Sorry if I came across rude - I just wondered what your reason for wanting international prices for.

I certainly know your history and that you have bought a ton of our gear. Thanks! ;-)

We have a global price list in Euros from the factory.

Then each country will convert to local currency and may have to load it more depending on import charges, shipping and so on (as you correctly pointed out). But really these days it does not vary to much country to country.

So there is no secrecy from me.

I haven't got my price list to had yet, but ill let you know when I am back at the desk.

D

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
David,

When I called my dealer..twice in the past week, his list shows the same price to upgrade to the H4D 50 and the H4D 60. What do you think? Is the 60 a better deal? Or could Hasselblad get serious about this and get the correct information to the dealers so that those of us who are interested do not have to play phone tag or get mislead.

Thanks,

Bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm not sure here but I thought there was a lens limitation to one of these. Please correct me if I am wrong, maybe internet rumor. But that may help decide between them based on their differences. David maybe you can address the major differences to help folks

carstenw

The 28mm and the 35-90mm zoom are HCD lenses (as opposed to HC) and won't cover full frame, i.e. they cannot cover the H4D-60, AFAIK, at least not at the same quality level. However, the difference is minimal, so they might still be acceptable for some uses.

Personally, I find it to be an acceptable limitation, although one does have to wonder about Hasselblad management's ability to foresee their own future. In short order they have moved from one full-frame definition to another (at least the 28mm lens's focal length is actually equivalent, on a 36x48mm sensor, and not the real focal length) and then back again, and in the short time in between, released two lenses which are not fully compatible with the latter definition. Not so impressive, but again, not so serious, in this case.

thomas

Actually I don't think that Hasselblad initially thought about a 60MP FF back. Why offer a 50MP 1.1 crop and literally the same back without crop at 60MP? They announced the H3-50 just before the last Photokina. Then Phase announced the P65+ full frame and in return Hasselblad announced a 60MP FF back as well... to be delivered spring after Photokina or so.
There's nothing wrong with that (if true at all)... the H3-50 just doesn't make any sense - it was dated in the second the P65+ and H3-60 were announced. Now you have to live with the crop for the 28mm and the zoom lens on the FF back. But I also see no issue here. Especially as the corner sharpness of the sole competitor doesn't seem to be good... if usable at all.
Lot of speculation... sorry :)

PeterA

Sorry guys - this was a simple thread - with simple questions - purely related to price.

Without wishing to offend anyone but in the interests of frankness - I dont have much interest in non users and non owners questions or opinions regarding Hasselblad quality, full frame versus non full frame, lens quality, corporate strategy or otherwise, in simple straight forward language - unless you have owned / used / own or are using a system - why are you bothering to comment on off topic issues that create noise?

So David has indicated that he will post a link of information regarding pricing.

From which point I can make up my mind about what to do - if anything, and so can a bunch of other Hasselblad users and owners.

Thats all I am interested in with this thread.

Pete

G

gdwhalen

Peter, I thought this was an OPEN forum for people to discuss whatever they wanted to discuss within the boundaries of photography? I see no reason that "non users" can't ask questions. That seems pretty juvenile to me.

And by-the-way, I do use Hasselblad and don't mind hearing other people's thoughts. That is the internet. The internet requires a person to have a "mis-information" filter. Because there is a lot of mis-information in here and in every other tech forum I have ever read. But to limit discussions in a global forum is counter productive even if it does frustrate you.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
David,

When I called my dealer..twice in the past week, his list shows the same price to upgrade to the H4D 50 and the H4D 60. What do you think? Is the 60 a better deal? Or could Hasselblad get serious about this and get the correct information to the dealers so that those of us who are interested do not have to play phone tag or get mislead.

Thanks,

Bob
There IS a question in this thread that has NOT been addressed. So I have to agree Peter this is a open forum and threads get OT all the time. Reason I asked David to clarify and why the discussion went further into the differences between the two backs the 50 and 60. I see nothing wrong with further posts but honestly I thought your second to last post was a little off key. It all falls squarely in the mantra of this forum

"A place to exchange ideas, techniques, experiences AND images,
where the discussions are fun, respectful and geared toward the goal of
helping each other improve all aspects of our photography."

PeterA

I think that my question to Hssselblad representatives was fair, open and well explained. I also think that my asking for on topic discussion on the topic was fair and reasonable.

I shall leave it at that.

David,

Thanks,

Bob
Hey Bob,

Where are you in the US - I can ask someone to give you a call?

D

The 28mm and the 35-90mm zoom are HCD lenses (as opposed to HC) and won't cover full frame, i.e. they cannot cover the H4D-60, AFAIK, at least not at the same quality level. However, the difference is minimal, so they might still be acceptable for some uses.

Personally, I find it to be an acceptable limitation, although one does have to wonder about Hasselblad management's ability to foresee their own future. In short order they have moved from one full-frame definition to another (at least the 28mm lens's focal length is actually equivalent, on a 36x48mm sensor, and not the real focal length) and then back again, and in the short time in between, released two lenses which are not fully compatible with the latter definition. Not so impressive, but again, not so serious, in this case.
Carsten,

Apologies for being a little bit aggressive but this is a muck raking post to me, regarding 'Hasselblad management's ability to foresee their own future'.

People forget that we do not alone make the H4D60. There are existing users of 22MP cameras and not forgetting the current 31,39 and 50 models. Therefore the 28mm and 35-90 are extremely useful to all those customers. They form a significantly larger proportion of users than potential 60 customers.

Should we therefore cancel those two lenses because they are 'only' compatible with 4 out of 5 sensors? No, I don't think so.

Also with regards to the 60 the 28mm only loses about 5% of sensor area and on the 35-90 it is only at the widest setting. There is no issue with quality level.

I have explained this many times before, but if you want to keep mentioning it, please go ahead.

David