The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Hasselblad H Discussion Thread

carstenw

I would phrase it slightly differently: I wish Hasselblad would take better care of their existing customer base during difficult transitions.

I have no particular interest in Phase or Mamiya, other than to say that adding a Phase back to my Contax 645 remains an open option for the future, especially now that Sinar has pulled out of the digital back market (at least they don't seem to release new backs any more).

G

gdwhalen

This place gives me a headache. Whining, bitching, crying - never ends.

fotografz

Heck, I'm in Chicago and the hotel doesn't even have espresso available in the early AM ... just low test regular Joe in a paper cup ... :ROTFL:

-Marc

G

gdwhalen

And none of it has to do with actually taking photos ;)
Of course not.

I use my cameras to take pics. I think that is a novel idea in here. A shame though as Hasselblad's take great images as do Phase, Leica, Mamiya, Arca-Swiss, etc. It is surprising to me that people that appreciate the potential of medium and large format camera's can't seemingly get passed the nit picky annoyances that every single thing in life have. Everything has a flaw and everything has limitations.

fotografz

I would phrase it slightly differently: I wish Hasselblad would take better care of their existing customer base during difficult transitions.

I have no particular interest in Phase or Mamiya, other than to say that adding a Phase back to my Contax 645 remains an open option for the future, especially now that Sinar has pulled out of the digital back market (at least they don't seem to release new backs any more).
As an existing customer I honestly do not know what you are talking about.

Hasselblad has kept all my legacy gear working into the digital age.

The new cameras are always total kits, not parts because of the integrated philosophy. If you don't like that philosophy don't buy Hasselblad.

You as a non-owner have issues with the D lenses on a H4D/60 ... I as an owner do not ... it's not like I didn't know going in. I made the choice, and it works for me.

What you may not know about are the many special promotions in support of existing customers. For example the CFV bundle that provided the new Zeiss 40IF for a fraction of the price if bought alone, or the H3D-II promo with an Image Bank and 28mm at close to reg. kit pricing.

Different needs and desires lead to different expectations ... but it isn't like any of this info is a secret to those who buy any brand.

carstenw

We can only speak for ourselves, you and I both, whether customers or not. There are people on all sides of these issues. I might have been a customer, had it not been for my perception of Hasselblad's past. I own two older Hasselblads and am very happy with them. Instead I opted for a Contax 645 with Sinar back.

J

jingq

We can only speak for ourselves, you and I both, whether customers or not. There are people on all sides of these issues. I might have been a customer, had it not been for my perception of Hasselblad's past. I own two older Hasselblads and am very happy with them. Instead I opted for a Contax 645 with Sinar back.
carsten I don't understand why you are so bitter about this.
I actually don't agree with a lot of your points. I believe hasselblad made some choices which are smart. I don't really know how truly accurate their ultrafocus or whatever they call it is, but after moving over from Mamiya I've never had focusing problems. When using a Mamiya I was never sure if I hit the focus when I was shooting wide open. Had to tether and zoom in each time.
If they had to lock out all legacy users for that, fine by me.

There are only two manufacturers left making backs. What does it matter that they lock their competitor out? If their whole system is convincing enough then it'll just convince people to buy a H system. that makes good business sense.

The fact that you talk about getting a Contax says a lot. Have you used a Contax next to a Hassy? The Contax looks nice. But autofocus, battery life, viewfinder, all the practical things that photographers actually care about, are problems.

Hassy made a 35-90mm lens. No one else offers this. So it crops abit on a H3d-60. I doubt most people care. How many people will buy the H3d 60? most people I know are looking at the cropped frame H due to price point/sufficient megapixels.
If the crop is an issue, get a 50-110mm.nice lens, good quality.

Hassy's smart, they increased their unique selling points. They're the most innovative medium format camera company out there now and continue to innovate with a system that professionals can trust on a job, and I hope they continue in that vein

carstenw

Jing, I am not bitter. I would have been if I had owned a 203FE when Hasselblad went H, or if I had owned an H2+Phase back when the H3D (II?) came out, or if I had owned a HCD28 or HCD35-90 with the H3DII-39 when the 50 and 60 were announced, but I didn't. As I wrote earlier, it gives me pause to see a company behave this way.

The fact that you are willing to accept Hasselblad ditching legacy users (whether V or H2+Phase, or 28/35-90 owners) as long as they solve your problem is eye-opening to me. for those about to protest, yes, they have since made partial amends.

You are right; today it doesn't matter any more. All the systems are essentially closed. No big deal. But how we got there does matter, at least to me.

I don't have the pressure of a pro, so the Contax is actually a really nice camera. It still has some of the best lenses, I focus manually most of the time anyway, battery life is a non-issue (I carry extras, which are not large or heavy), and the somewhat dim viewfinder is easily fixed with a screen from Maxwell. There are no problems with the system for me. For others, different story. Btw, I don't talk about buying one; I have owned one for nearly a year now.

You call Hasselblad the most innovative system out there. Today I agree, although the Hy6 is certainly a contender. Once the S2 is out, I no longer agree.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I don't have the pressure of a pro, so the Contax is actually a really nice camera. It still has some of the best lenses, I focus manually most of the time anyway, battery life is a non-issue (I carry extras, which are not large or heavy), and the somewhat dim viewfinder is easily fixed with a screen from Maxwell. There are no problems with the system for me. For others, different story. Btw, I don't talk about buying one; I have owned one for nearly a year now.

Carsten love ya but you are talking about compromises that others deal with the Contax system also and this same type of issues are with any other system. Honestly your fighting a brick wall because the same reasons you chose Contax/Sinar are the same systems. There is no perfect system and if you think the S2 is it great but i can tell you right now it is not and it has not even hit the streets yet. It's loaded with compromises just like any system. Sex sells and the damn thing is sexy but it will NOT solve everyones worldly system problems. You may not have the pressure on you but but people that work with these daily are facing death in the face everyday and this stuff needs to work it may not be ideal for sure but getting the image to the sensor is the bottom line . If we lose 5 percent we lose 5 percent. If the shutter lag is the the ****s well we better learn to be on top of that one also. If you sync to only 1/125 than you better bring some real juice to the party for outside fill. Bottom line we solve problems on a minute by minute basis. you need to know what you are buying and know the limitations of it because you will ALWAYS face some work around with any system or any job you are facing. Obviously we can argue this till the cows come home and wait for calfs to be born but in the end it won't solve a damn thing. Marc still has to go out and fight with his Hassy and i still have to go out and wrestler with my Phase to get the image we want. I don't know maybe I'm one of those that just buy and shoot and figure it out but sit and complain about it does me absolutely no good. Just wait until the S2 comes out sure you will have 35mm folks wetting there pants over it and the Sinar , Hassy, leaf and Phase shooters will say what exactly " We told you so ". Hell that won't buy me a loaf of bread, what will buy me groceries if the damn thing works and produces images , does not break down , does not spend 6 months in a repair shop and a million other oh ****s. Frankly innovative means absolutely nothing if you can't produce a winner for the end user. Your using a old not made anymore Contax and so are other working Pro's why because it works. Not because it is innovative. Bells and whistle don't take images they will help the brain behind the camera free there artistic abilities and even that is a stretch if you have a million buttons to deal with.

These MF system are simple and people still can't over the fact I spend this much money on this damn thing and the LCD sucks. Well how many freaking times have we heard that one just because you spent 30 grand people expect it to make popcorn and drive you to the movies in all honesty that is the real bottom line issue is the money spent on these things and people just want to whine they did not include the corkscrew. Personally I have lost total interest debating these points because the end of the day when I wake up my camera will still be the one I went to bed with and i will go out and make my money with it come hell or high water but seriously I have no interest in complaining but i do have a huge interest in help these companies build a better mouse trap and that is where i chose to spend my time is talking about ways to improve it if that is in public or private than than is what will benefit me and other end users the most. Not to point fingers at any one particular forum outside of here not only will I not post anymore but i can't even read it anymore it is so jaded with crap. I don't have a answer for you sure Hassy may have done things different or Phase could have went down a different path and Sinar could have actually worked the US better and leaf could have maybe hung in there a little longer but it is what it is and not sure whatever we decide one way or the other has a damn influence on it.

I'm going in make some popcorn and watch football. Please no offense to anyone or anything at all. Just my afternoon ramble

fotografz

Jing, I am not bitter. I would have been if I had owned a 203FE when Hasselblad went H, or if I had owned an H2+Phase back when the H3D (II?) came out, or if I had owned a HCD28 or HCD35-90 with the H3DII-39 when the 50 and 60 were announced, but I didn't. As I wrote earlier, it gives me pause to see a company behave this way.

The fact that you are willing to accept Hasselblad ditching legacy users (whether V or H2+Phase, or 28/35-90 owners) as long as they solve your problem is eye-opening to me. for those about to protest, yes, they have since made partial amends.

You are right; today it doesn't matter any more. All the systems are essentially closed. No big deal. But how we got there does matter, at least to me.

You call Hasselblad the most innovative system out there. Today I agree, although the Hy6 is certainly a contender. Once the S2 is out, I no longer agree.
I'm sorry but isn't that a double standard? Ask the folks that had a fortune in R gear what they think about Leica dumping the system in favor of the S2? People like me and my DMR which were suddenly abandoned.

The Contax is a fine camera, but now you are making excuses for your choice ... a camera from a company that suddenly abandoned it's customer base and left them with a dead-end system ... people like me ... again.

Hy6/AFi was a good system ... but Leaf screwed every current Aptus owner by locking out their OWN owners from using a Hy6 .... and left them dangling in the wind ... people like ME again!!!!

Hasselblad has been the ONLY one that hasn't stuck it to me.

BTW, the HD lenses fully work on the H4D/50.

-Marc

carstenw

Guy, I am not fighting a battle at all. I made an off-the-cuff remark in another thread, and not wanting to invade that thread any more, I started this one. Since then, I have been responding to one post after another. All of what I am posting is only my opinion, I keep stressing that. All of what I am posting is just thoughts about Hasselblad. I loved the old Hasselblad, and I am not so keen on the new one, although their system is impressive in several ways. I don't have the pressure of being a pro, which frees me up to consider systems like the Contax. I really like the Contax a lot, but it is a dead system, I know.

I am quite happy for people to stop poking sticks at me so that I can become a part of the woodwork, like I used to be :) I will respond to direct comments, but will not take it any further. I think I stated my position in post 1 in this thread, and everything since then has not really been necessary, except that it is a dialogue, and as long as it continues, and as long as it involves me, I will respond.

Btw, I don't think that the S2 will be a killer camera for everyone. I think it is rather cleverly aimed at a non-trivial crack between 35mm and MF, and I think it can succeed. I expect the lenses to be as good as or better than any other 645 DLSR system, but time will show if I am right.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I understand not exactly poking sticks at you nor do i think anyone really else is but it is the industry and how these companies are viewed by the public that to some folks is just frustrating to hear on a daily basis . Ithink truly what most are saying here is there frustration in these matters, we have to work with these and we yes have to struggle throught it sometimes and maybe the last thing people want to hear is negative comments on it on a running dialog how screwed up Hassy is and phase can't get a leaf lens out the door . You know that list goes on forever and ever and that is what you are seeing on this thread. No one is specifically saying anything bad at you directly but just the issue at hand. Most of us understand your points but companies make decisions based sometime more on revenue than end users needs or wants and that is something for end users find hard to understand as well.

hey also I shot the V stuff for years and loved and was not thrilled over the H either but right or wrong that was there direction

Also you know end of the day when we hit the bed we don't want any hurt feelings around here either so please don't feel like that. Again we all spent 30 grand and want the corkscrew too. LOL

carstenw

Marc, you again make some good points, but I do have some replies.

Not making the R is similar to not making the V, you are right. I see some small differences, though. I think the X-Pan is more like the R. It was a non-profitable system which was terminated with an apology. Leica did state right away that there would be an attempt to give R lens owners a way to use their lenses. It took much longer for Hasselblad to try to make any kind of transition for their V owners. Anyway, I am not going to argue that point beyond that.

About the Contax, different situation. You know how complex the situation was there. Anyway, I make no excuses for the owners, I simply bought that camera when it was already dead, knowingly.

Yes, Leaf's move was also nasty. I have no excuse for them either. I have never said that Hasselblad was the only MF company making weird moves. I also find Phase's politics peculiar, to say the least. My particular comment *happened* to be about Hasselblad in that other thread, nothing more.

I presume you mean HCD. Yes, they work, but not completely, in that the outer areas of the image aren't usable to a certain extent. I don't really think you have a point here. By the time the 35-90 was coming out, surely Hasselblad must have known internally that the "new FF" business was going to have to go away. They still haven't really patched that mess up. It doesn't happen to have bothered you, but others aren't so lucky.

Last edited:

fotografz

Marc, you again make some good points, but I do have some replies.

Not making the R is similar to not making the V, you are right. I see some small differences, though. I think the X-Pan is more like the R. It was a non-profitable system which was terminated with an apology. Leica did state right away that there would be an attempt to give R lens owners a way to use their lenses. It took much longer for Hasselblad to try to make any kind of transition for their V owners. Anyway, I am not going to argue that point beyond that.

About the Contax, different situation. You know how complex the situation was there. Anyway, I make no excuses for the owners, I simply bought that camera when it was already dead, knowingly.

Yes, Leaf's move was also nasty. I have no excuse for them either. I have never said that Hasselblad was the only MF company making weird moves. I also find Phase's politics peculiar, to say the least. My particular comment *happened* to be about Hasselblad in that other thread, nothing more.

I presume you mean HCD. Yes, they work, but not completely, in that the outer areas of the image aren't usable to a certain extent. I don't really think you have a point here. By the time the 35-90 was coming out, surely Hasselblad must have known internally that the "new FF" business was going to have to go away. They still haven't really patched that mess up. It doesn't happen to have bothered you, but others aren't so lucky.
Read what you wrote: The HD4/50 that you referred to along with the H4D/60 is not a full frame sensor, only the H4D/60 is ... the HCD lenses fully work on the new H4D/50 version just as they do currently. Hassey has left that decision to the customer. I don't care about a 5% loss if I get the 60.

As Guy says, none of these systems are perfect ... those that actually use them learn the strengths and weaknesses and make it work ... my feelings about cameras aren't theory, they are based on delivery of the goods and I have to say that my Hassey's have delivered, and I haven't been left flapping in the wind with a dead-end system.

If you just wanted to air your negative opinion and wanted no responses you should have said so up front ... not that that would have stopped me :ROTFL: