The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Hasselblad H Discussion Thread

bensonga

I would phrase it slightly differently: I wish Hasselblad would take better care of their existing customer base during difficult transitions.
Not H related per se, but I do think Hasselbald took pretty good care of the V-system owners by developing the CFV16 and now the CFV39 backs. They had no obligation to provide a film to digital back transition for V-system owners...and yet they did and continue to improve it. Sure, we'd all love to have the full frame 6x6 sensor, but for many of us (CFV-16 owner here) it's a welcome alternative to shooting film with legacy Hasselblad systems.

Gary

bensonga

...Or go back to Canon...
Hey, I resemble that comment! Nothing wrong with Canon that a Hasselblad won't fix...right? :)

One thing's for sure, if I were to buy a 35mm, full frame, 20+ megapixel Canon DSLR I'd have to sell my Hasselblad CFV-16 right quick....since it's not a REAL medium format digital back. :deadhorse:

Gary

bensonga

Ask the folks that had a fortune in R gear what they think about Leica dumping the system in favor of the S2?
Yeah...and I'm still pissed off about that one! :mad: No matter how good the S2 may or may not be, a digital R10 would have been THE RIGHT THING TO DO Leica and I'm sure there will be some folks (Carsten wannabes) who will never forgive you.

But before I get too worked up about it, I guess I'd better check my receipts from KEH and make sure I bought the R8 system BEFORE Leica announced the R system was dead. ;)

Ah what the heck, the R8's a nice film camera anyways. :thumbup:

Always interesting to come into a thread like this one at the end....it's a totally different perspective. The words of a Bob Dylan song keep bouncing around in my head right now.....something along the lines of "It's all good folks, it's all good."

Gary

Last edited:
G

gdwhalen

and I am pissed off at Leica for their treatment of my R gear is well. That is why I left them and bought into Hasselblad. I was hoping for a 22 mpx R10 and instead got a 37 mpxl S2 that leaves my R lenses without a digital home. Hasselblad at least left a door open for V users. Leica slammed the door and kicked us in the nuts. So, why in the hell would I support their S2?? Not me.

PeterA

The XPan was abandoned due to changes in European environment laws regarding the use of Mercury in soldering. The market was not big enough for a rework of the whole camera electronics...especially since it coincided with massive leap forward in digi back technology.

the lenses where in fact the first co-operation between Fuji and Hasselblad. They are so good that it was this quality that made me initially commit to the H1 system.

As an aside - the Xpan is a great system I regretted selling my first set-up so much I bought a complete system from Woody - and still use it. One of the never to sell camera systems I am lucky enough to have.

The larger chips we have today allow for a nice panoramic crop in digital form - making the Xpan redundant in may ways but as a film camera using 35mm - it is a great travel kit for those so inclined. The bokeh from the 45 and 90 mm lenses makes for outstanding environmental portraits in panoramic mode - sans the usual distortion of 35mm wides - wilst teh sharpness of the lenses makes for a great landscape panoramic shooter using emulsion. I have used this system with great reults for street shooting in panoramic format - where teh lack of distortion delivers a very different perspective to the usual forced wides.

I have had similar experiences to Marc with Leaf - in fact the dealer lying to me flat out about the backs being able to be used with the coming Hy6/Afi system - the only reason I actually bought a Leaf - that company has ZERO credibility with me.

Dont get me started on the Leica R system. I pretty much collected every lens that company made,being reassured constantly by self confessed 'insiders' in this forum who were apparently assured themselves by high up company people @ Leica about the coming R10. I no longer listen to fan boys or company insiders or intenet BS abotu what is coming.

Exiting that system cost me a lot and is the primary reason I dont already have an order for an S2 system - a system btw which I am very skeptical about.

On the other hand Hasselblad has delivered constantly in terms of total system integration and improved backs - just a few years ago there was no doubt that Imacon was second to Leaf and Phase in terms of quality - now no longer the case.

The only naughty thing Hasselblad ever did was slashing the prices of the 39 megapixel back. However the benefits of an intergrated system in terms of DAC and now focus lock - and Phocus and HTS etc etc etc..far outweigh ny negatives.

I bought a CFV11 to use with a 205Tcc and a fast MF lenses - this will be traded soon enough for a CFV-39 an absolute bargain back - once again keeping alive the V system.

Hasselblad is a great company - which makes the best total package MF SLR system out there. I hope that others continue to catch up and even jump over Hasselblad - it would be good to see this level of delivery in a reinvigorated market.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Dont get me started on the Leica R system. I pretty much collected every lens that company made,being reassured constantly by self confessed 'insiders' in this forum who were apparently assured themselves by high up company people @ Leica about the coming R10. I no longer listen to fan boys or company insiders or intenet BS abotu what is coming.

Whoever you listened too was just as shocked as every other R owner. That one came out of the blue with not a warning in sight. Personally they never breathed a word to me or anyone else for that matter. For this one look straight ahead at the leica logo. The S2 was a major secret. And what followed on the R came from space. They changed direction just like a lot of companies do and main reason now most companies do what Apple does announce than deliver immediately . Nikon, Canon, Phase and hassy do this and now the M9 but not the S2 and certainly the R was not expected by anyone . For that one Peter you can talk directly to Leica about, want there number. Believe me no one whispered in your ear about the R going away because no one knew about it.

BTW just for the record i was not shooting any Leica gear when the R announcement came about so i had no clue what leica was up too. I learned of the s2 just like everyone else. I was already into Phase gear a long time at that point

PeterA

All water under the bridge as far as I am concerned Guy, I never count the cost of money down the drain- and what I say is based on my experiences - the information is right here on the Leica forum for anyone who wants to search and look. Merely put on the table in order to put some perspective out there - every company has a 'history' of less than perfect delivery - Hasselblad ( and Phase One ) are clean skins compared to Leica and Leaf and others. People should take care who they do business with.

Sorry if you have a problem with this - I am just stating the facts. Without the sugar blowing up anyones behind.

J

jingq

The H2 works fine.
I'm not sure if anyone noticed but with a firmware update you're actually able to use the HCD lenses on the H2 and H1.

"Firmware version 081222.hbf is a combined firmware package for the H-series camera body, adding support for the following new products:

* HTS1.5
* HCD 35-90 zoom lens
* DC Power Grip

Version 081222.hbf for the H-series camera body, contains the following firmware versions:

Product Camera Body
H3DII, H3D, H2D 2.1.0
H1D, H1, H2 9.5.0
H2F 1.1.0"

Hasselblad is weird. They shoot themselves in the foot first, and then silently backtrack without much fanfare. Hasselblad reps, can you please be abit more aggressive and pushy.

First on the HCD lenses issue, then on the upgrade program (after they've already slashed prices mind you)

So you can continue using your phase back with your H2. I don't see how this would affect you.

Jing, I am not bitter. I would have been if I had owned a 203FE when Hasselblad went H, or if I had owned an H2+Phase back when the H3D (II?) came out, or if I had owned a HCD28 or HCD35-90 with the H3DII-39 when the 50 and 60 were announced, but I didn't. As I wrote earlier, it gives me pause to see a company behave this way.

The fact that you are willing to accept Hasselblad ditching legacy users (whether V or H2+Phase, or 28/35-90 owners) as long as they solve your problem is eye-opening to me. for those about to protest, yes, they have since made partial amends.

You are right; today it doesn't matter any more. All the systems are essentially closed. No big deal. But how we got there does matter, at least to me.

I don't have the pressure of a pro, so the Contax is actually a really nice camera. It still has some of the best lenses, I focus manually most of the time anyway, battery life is a non-issue (I carry extras, which are not large or heavy), and the somewhat dim viewfinder is easily fixed with a screen from Maxwell. There are no problems with the system for me. For others, different story. Btw, I don't talk about buying one; I have owned one for nearly a year now.

You call Hasselblad the most innovative system out there. Today I agree, although the Hy6 is certainly a contender. Once the S2 is out, I no longer agree.

carstenw

So you can continue using your phase back with your H2. I don't see how this would affect you.
Then you probably forgot to think about the future. Everyone wants to move up at some point, to the latest back, the latest camera. The only way forward in the Hasselblad system is all-Hasselblad.

It is an intelligent move from Hasselblad, like their decisions so often are. My quarrel was with how they did it, catching a lot of people off-guard.

Sorry Jing Q (and Carsten)

I think you have misunderstood. HCD lenses are compatible with H2F+CF Back, H2D's and H3D's.

We still of course release firmware updates for the H1, H2 so users can use the newer equipment like the HTS, DC power grip etc etc.

David

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Then you probably forgot to think about the future. Everyone wants to move up at some point, to the latest back, the latest camera. The only way forward in the Hasselblad system is all-Hasselblad.

It is an intelligent move from Hasselblad, like their decisions so often are. My quarrel was with how they did it, catching a lot of people off-guard.
What is then actually the difference to Leica S2 ???? Everyone who wants to move upward is stuck to the S System - all Leica.

There is one caveat though - if there is no way up, then of course it does not matter ......

Typical thinking of a Leica Fanboy

Sorry I could not resist :ROTFL:

carstenw

I guess you haven't been following the discussion, Peter. Even the post you quote has the answer to the question: it is not that they did this, but HOW they did it.

Please stop with this fanboy bull****. We all like our own equipment.

BlasR

Carster,
Are you complainning because Hasselblad don't make digital back for you camera?

Canon, nikon don't do it either.

I have the hassy hd3-50 as I have 35mm lens I din't need the 28 I have 50-110 I don't need the 35-90

I got the 80-150 and 300 so I don't need the 50-100-120- or 210.

I like to have the,HTS 1.5 tilt and shift adapter, but I don't know how is work.

I was ready to try, but they cancel when I was ready to look for my self,.( I think they cancel because I'm spanish, and they were white),(I can't wait to contact obama, maybe he invite as for a cognac to the white house).

But serious why you just don't go with phase, if they make back for your camera?,

even so I think the hassy is better.

I just don't understand why you complain about hassy only.
BlasR

carstenw

Actually, I am not complaining. I have a system and I am happy. I made a comment, that's all. Since then, I have been spending a lot of time answering various comments from people who mostly skimmed my previous postings, which held the answers to the questions they asked.

I also don't like Phase's politics, and if you look in other threads in the archives, you will see why. I don't give a **** (saving the cuss-to-star program some work there and typing the stars in directly) about Canon. I don't like their politics, I don't like their cameras, I don't like their lenses and I don't like their results. I don't like Nikon results much either, nor most of their lenses, but I like their cameras and respect the company. Saving you some trouble, I don't like Sony much as a company, but respect what they are trying to do with the 35mm DSLR range.

My main point here is that of the 4 current MF companies, three treat their customers shockingly poorly from time to time, and the last one is in financial hardship. I welcome Leica to the mix, and hope that their system can show the path forwards in one or two ways, and that it will reinvigorate the MF segment, which has been stagnant for almost ever.

eleanorbrown

I'm an H2/Phase 65+ user. First hasselblad I had was the 503 V system which I loved. I'm heavily invested my H equipment today, including hoarding an extra H2 body which I bought when you could still purchase them. I have always loved Hasselblad cameras and lenses and was not happy when the company decided to close their system. With that said, I also love my P65+ and would not change to the H digital backs. Not only does the 65+ produce incredible images it has the option of Sensor + which I thought I would NEVER EVER use...in fact I joked at the thought of shooting 15 megapixels on a 60 megapixel back. Well the joke's on me. I use sensor + frequently and the resulting images are really gorgeous...and this is something coming from someone who never shot over 100 iso (50 when possible). Eleanor

PS-- actually I'm glad to have an "H" thread here, as I tired to join the Hasselblad sponsored forum and I was not allowed in because I didn't have an H digital back.

actually the systems are not great. Alltogther. All systems are missing certain acessories or lenses or whatever.
"Great" are some of the lenses, the IQ, the look.
As to "mature and advanced" I really have to say (as a Phase user) that Hasselblad clearly seems to be much more advanced than P1 (camera wise). They have different view finders (for me this would be very important), they calibrate the digital backs to the bodies and correct AF for focus shift. The new APL (?) feature is certainly interessting as well. I don't know if all these features work great, I'd assume they do to some extend, but there is simply nothing comparable from Phase (again: I'm talking about the camera side).
I use a Contax and focus manually all the time - so all this is not an issue for me personally. But if I would need AF I'd certainly consider Hasselblad rather than P1 (or an S2 ... if it finally works).

carstenw

Right, and so I think the time is right for me to bow out and contribute to other threads. The negative aspects of my comments went for too long anyway. Have fun, H-ers.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Actually, I am not complaining. I have a system and I am happy. I made a comment, that's all. Since then, I have been spending a lot of time answering various comments from people who mostly skimmed my previous postings, which held the answers to the questions they asked.

I also don't like Phase's politics, and if you look in other threads in the archives, you will see why. I don't give a **** (saving the cuss-to-star program some work there and typing the stars in directly) about Canon. I don't like their politics, I don't like their cameras, I don't like their lenses and I don't like their results. I don't like Nikon results much either, nor most of their lenses, but I like their cameras and respect the company. Saving you some trouble, I don't like Sony much as a company, but respect what they are trying to do with the 35mm DSLR range.

My main point here is that of the 4 current MF companies, three treat their customers shockingly poorly from time to time, and the last one is in financial hardship. I welcome Leica to the mix, and hope that their system can show the path forwards in one or two ways, and that it will reinvigorate the MF segment, which has been stagnant for almost ever.
Carsten I think you are the victim of internet whining and their are thousands of very happy end users that happily shoot their gear without a peep. Seriously I read the forums too and it is the same folks day in and day out that are relentless on these companies be it fair or not you are hearing from a very small group of people. If your are not a direct customer to these companies than how do you really know if the whining has any basis behind it. Nothing is perfect and yes you will hear the whining but do you honestly believe everything you read or hear. My theory believe about 25 percent of what you read unless you really trust someones opinion and more important there subjectivity.

D

David A

Isn't it strange what the likes and dislikes of this system or that system are, some of them are very small. It's also strange what pops into ones head when one sees something new, take the Leica S2, for some reason "Early Learning Centre, My First Camera" popped into my head, I've no idea why :angel:
kidizoom-digital-camera-pink/

David

carstenw

Guy, I have personal extensive experience just with Canon, Leica and Sinar. My IQ comments relate mostly to these brands. I have a number of friends with Nikon gear, and I see the results they get too, so I can make some qualified comments there.

The rest of my comments are about politics, not gear. The politics are out in the open for everyone to see and comment on. I ended up with the brands that I have partly due to the wonky politics in the MF world.

woodyspedden

This thread, to me, resembles what I read so often on DPReview or sometimes on the LUF.

Please guys, we have something special here. let's not turn it into a look alike of all those other threads most of us abandoned when GetDPI became available.

JMHO

Woody