Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Okay MAMIYA 645AFD shooters, share your Lens knowledge..Please!!

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Okay MAMIYA 645AFD shooters, share your Lens knowledge..Please!!

Quote Originally Posted by KETCH ROSSI View Post
    He he, this forum is FUN, and you guys sorry to say but really are a bit nuts
    Ha! You haven't sen anything yet.

Just wait until the 645DF and the new leaf shutter lenses hit the streets and Guy springs into action. You'll have to refresh the Buy & Sell every 30 seconds (or less!) to stay current and he'll have a 10 page thread field report on each new piece of equipment jam packed with tons of info and images for everyone to review before the dealers have time to cock their shutters and check their inventory!.

You can tell Guy is getting the itch by the small rumblings in the buy and sell from him now. I am sure he is losing sleep thinking about 1/800-1/1600 sync speeds just for starters.

Submitted with the utmost respect and admiration

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Damn I am that obvious i have a serious itch going. LOL

And Charlie i luv ya too. LOL

Trying to get a DF for the workshop
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

He he!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Damn I am that obvious i have a serious itch going. LOL
    I think listing the six pair of slightly-used socks for sale was the tip-off, Guy.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, Jack, I ordered mine from Harry's Pro Shop already so I can't take advantage of yours.

Actually, I see "long" and find I use the 75-150 at either 75 or 150, but rarely much in between! And then I'm looking at the P65 in future and suspect that the zoom simply won't do it as much justice at the long end. I may end up just using primes - the 28, 55, 80, 120 and 150. (And of course the 300.)

Fact is, I used the 150 3.5 a lot and only sold it when I got the zoom, so I expect to get lots of use out of the D version.

Enough of the rationale - I am and always have been a gear slut anyway.

But I'll still blame you - and Guy too....

Incidentally, Happy Birthday to DPI!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post

But I'll still blame you - and Guy too....
    Well, I blame Guy too, so by inferential logic, it IS all Guy's fault!

Oh, and anything I can't blame Guy for, I can usually blame on Bob Freund, Terry, Mike Hatam or Don Libby!

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can't shift the blame like that without some compensation. Okay i will take all the heat but i want a steak out of this deal. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Man I already see that Guy LOVES stakes

You know Guy in Italy we have the some of the Best stakes and its called Bistecca alla Fiorentina (Porterhouse), served with sautee' spinach in extra Virgin olive oil and roasted garlic..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Had it, love it want one right now. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

He he, sorry I reminded you its delicious flavor! I miss Home so much, you know all the usual things..the girls..the food..oh and the family

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Well, I blame Guy too, so by inferential logic, it IS all Guy's fault!

Oh, and anything I can't blame Guy for, I can usually blame on Bob Freund, Terry, Mike Hatam or Don Libby!

At least I'm in good company!

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

What about stopped down with some of these lenses on a P-45+? Is there much image quality difference when shooting at f8, f11 or even f16 range? I never shoot wide open so that doesn't concern me. I shoot quite a bit with the 35, 55-110, and 105-210 - mostly for stitching multiples - but find I need a 45 and would like to skip the longer zoom on some hikes but a 150 would be useful.

45mm manual, vs. AF, vs. D
    150mm f2.8 or f3.5 manual, vs. f3.5 AF, vs. f2.8 D

Thanks for any thoughts...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

45 manual is a older lens I would avoid it . My D is very nice even wide open but F8 is the sweet spot. The AF are some corner complaints but never owned that one

150 2.8 excellent wide open and just adding DOF after wide open
    150 3.5 comes to life around 5.6/ f8

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, the 45mm AF (pre-D) can vary from copy to copy. Reports suggest that the 55mm AF is more consistently better than the 45 AF, and that reflects the results from my kit too (I have both, and have not shot the new 45).

Stopped down, my 45 AF is OK. I have gotten some great results from it, but wide open it does get a little mushy (mostly in the lower-left corner). For most landscape it has not really been an issue though. I don't recall where you're located Tim, but you'd be welcome to shoot mine sometime.

And I like my 150mm f/3.5, but I would rather have the new f/2.8 because of it's stellar performance. I have never been disappointed with the 150 AF f/3.5 though. I have used it for landscape to great success, and used it together with the 210 ULD for an outdoor portrait session where it would have been fun to have the new 150 D, but the humble f/3.5 AF performed fantastically. I don't think it's really fair to compare the last two versions of the 150, as the new "D" is so special, but I do feel that the 150 3.5 AF is a good performer for the money. There may be copy variation (I don't know), and if so, I got lucky the first time around on mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your thoughts guys (and for your offer to loan me a lens!). I needed both lenses in the couple of hours since my last post (and seem to every time I shoot), so I'll have to get them in the next day or two if I"m going to utilize them for the three new book projects I'm working on. (We have some spectacular fall color going on now in Arkansas, with plenty of water too, which is rare for us, so I only get to sit at the computer for a few minutes at a time, then run back out and shoot for an hour or two before making another commute for quick office work.)

One item that always sort of puzzles me is when comparing one lens to another. My high-water mark is to produce large prints that look like real life - in other words, the rock or leaf or moss-covered log should look just as sharp and colorful and detailed in print as the real thing does. Is it possible to get better than that? If so I don't know what that would be. For instance, the 150 D lens is a terrific lens no doubt, and I'm sure it would beat the others when shot wide open. But can I get the cheap 150 af 3.5 lens to reproduce real life when stopped down? If so, then I have no reason to pay through the nose for the D version. If the cheap lens would not be able to produce real life, then I would not be interested in it even if it was free and I would want the D version. Does that make sense?

Same deal with the 45mm af vs. D - can the 45 af reproduce something as real in print? If so then I don't see any reason for a person like me to pay for the D version if I'm always going to be shooting it stopped down and with manual focus - unless there is something better than real life? But if the af version won't do this and I need to get the D version, that is fine. Spending the money isn't an issue, spending it on something I don't need is silly though. I don't actually care what things look like at 100% on screen, only in a large print or in a book.

Thanks again for any thoughts. Back out to the woods....

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, I think that in your case it would make sense to shoot the lenses side-by-side. I don't think that anyone can give you a definitive response without the risk of subjective interpretation, processing skills factoring in, etc.

The previous model lenses can be purchased used and resold with little loss in price, so it's a relaxed way of "renting" IMO. Unfortunately, you may play a bit of "hit and miss" regarding specific copies, especially concerning the 45. But if money is not an issue I would probably buy the 45 D and perhaps the 75-150mm D since landscape seems to be your primary use, but that's just me.

As for "real-life" reproduction (or better than real life maybe ) one of my favorite images to stand in front of and admire the results of what medium format can do is a four shot horizontal stitch of vertical frames to create a high-res file using the 210 mm ULD. It's a complex scene that reproduced beautifully. There is a discernible difference between this image and anything I have done with my 45mm AF.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ernst View Post
    What about stopped down with some of these lenses on a P-45+? Is there much image quality difference when shooting at f8, f11 or even f16 range? I never shoot wide open so that doesn't concern me. I shoot quite a bit with the 35, 55-110, and 105-210 - mostly for stitching multiples - but find I need a 45 and would like to skip the longer zoom on some hikes but a 150 would be useful.

45mm manual, vs. AF, vs. D
    150mm f2.8 or f3.5 manual, vs. f3.5 AF, vs. f2.8 D

Thanks for any thoughts...
    Tim, keeping in mind I use Phase for landscapes where I need ultimate detail and corner sharpness, I find f11 is generally the best image quality for most Mamiya lenses. In my case, that means the 28, 35, 55, 75-150 and 210. Diffraction hasn't started to move in yet at that f-stop, whereas at f16 you might (just might) see a little. F22 or smaller is not good.

F8 is pretty much indistinguishable from f11 except for DOF, and if there is a difference it will be found in the extreme corners.

The big exception is my 300 APO, which is at it's best at 2/3 stop less than wide open. Further stopping down only increases DOF. (From what I hear - and hope to see for myself very shortly, the 150 f2.8 D is much the same. Likewise, the 120 Macro D is in that league.)

I did have a 45 mm and wasn't very impressed, although I only really sold it because Mamiya announced the 45-90 zoom - which of course never materialized. I also rarely use the 35 mm because the 28 mm is so good; I'd rather use it and crop!

My unsung hero is the 55 mm which has become my walk-around lens for casual stuff like shooting the grandchildren! It's light, sharp and has nice bokeh - though mine is pretty soft wide open. Again f8 and f11 are its best stops.

Hope all this helps - F11 is best!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Had it, love it want one right now. LOL
    Our first or second night's dinner in Oregon Bud -- steak will be on!
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Bill - yup, I shoot most everything at either 11 or 16. And Dale I also shoot most everything as 4-8 shot stitches no matter what the field of view or lens. I've never been a lens-testing kind of guy, and hate to send anything back, especially something new that I have used - I also hate to receive a lens sold as new that has been "field tested"! Most lens tests I've seen online are crap shoots in themselves - can't believe folks still try to judge image quality shooting handheld, in changing light, etc. It is rare that you can make exactly the same image using different lenses outside in the real world. Guess I'll just have to flip a coin and see what happens! Now I'm really back out into the woods. thanks...

Post Thanks / Like

Oregon? Never been to Oregon.. + steak dinner with new friends..Hum

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ernst View Post
    Hey Bill - yup, I shoot most everything at either 11 or 16. And Dale I also shoot most everything as 4-8 shot stitches no matter what the field of view or lens. I've never been a lens-testing kind of guy, and hate to send anything back, especially something new that I have used - I also hate to receive a lens sold as new that has been "field tested"! Most lens tests I've seen online are crap shoots in themselves - can't believe folks still try to judge image quality shooting handheld, in changing light, etc. It is rare that you can make exactly the same image using different lenses outside in the real world. Guess I'll just have to flip a coin and see what happens! Now I'm really back out into the woods. thanks...
    I agree with you about lens returns, etc., Tim.

Happy shooting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Our first or second night's dinner in Oregon Bud -- steak will be on!
    Scary I'm already packing. I kid you not

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Me too!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Hey now.. don't forget about me.. I was a CHEF for 15 years BTW

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oregon? Never been to Oregon.. + steak dinner with new friends..Hum
    We have one slot left and be happy to put your name on it! Plus, your new dealer will be there, along with a bunch of toys and C1 training. PLUS, you're right, this is a great group of folks on this workshop and we always have a bunch during the evening meals! (Not to mention some great photographic opportunities!)

If you want to come, please tag me ASAP as we're there next week!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey now.. don't forget about me.. I was a CHEF for 15 years BTW
    Guy says pack your recipe book!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Next week??? S$#@! I would not be able to come then

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Next week??? S$#@! I would not be able to come then
    Bring your work with you and shoot them on the beach!

FWIW, Official workshop is Wednesday through Saturday
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, please you or Guy PM me all the details on it..just in case

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, just fund it on your signature.. It does sound fantastic, but not this time

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

were you able to attend the workshop, even for a day, you would have all your questions addressed and I mean all, plus a large variety of gear to test first hand.

Post Thanks / Like

I can only imagine, but unfortunately it just isn't possible for the timing is completely in contrast with previous engagements

I'm a Film Producer/Director as well and that and photography have to run in harmony, some times Photography takes the priority but this month the Film industry has me by the B$#@!

Post Thanks / Like

New gear to play with.
    Last edited by KETCH ROSSI; 3rd November 2010 at 05:58.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that a Scarlet? I didn't realize they were already out. I am not very good at recognizing them yet.

It is hilarious wathing Guy and Jack talk about stuff. Every fifth sentence is "let's get steak"
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If that is a Scarlet you really have to tell us how she does. Looks lovely ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

NO that is the RED EPIC S35 which as you know will shoot both 5K Ultra HD and will take Stills just like any other 35mm DSLR camera.

But what I will soon post will be something to blow all our minds as far as MF future goes.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I really wish you'd SHUT UP, Jack! I've been hearing about that darn 150 2.8 from you for some time now, and tonight I finally broke down and ordered one.

Can I send you the bill? (Like I don't know the answer to that!)

I'll report on it when it arrives and if its really really really good maybe I'll forgive you.

Bill
    Well Jack, I have to say you're forgiven. The 150 D is indeed a gem. I tested it today and as you say, very sharp at f2.8, perfect at f4 and diffraction limited by f11.

I then put the P45+ on ISO 400 and left the lens at f4 and just wandered around and shot hand-held. Every one was pin sharp. I'll post some serious stuff next week.

Enjoy Oregon!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well Jack, I have to say you're forgiven. The 150 D is indeed a gem. I tested it today and as you say, very sharp at f2.8, perfect at f4 and diffraction limited by f11.

I then put the P45+ on ISO 400 and left the lens at f4 and just wandered around and shot hand-held. Every one was pin sharp. I'll post some serious stuff next week.

Enjoy Oregon!

Bill

Glad you like it --- it is a very sweet lens!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Black View Post
    If seeking bokeh and narrow DOF, then the Mamiya 200mm F2.8 APO is worth looking at. It too is quite sharp wide open and on tight head shots the DOF will be very thin.
    John,

I'll see your 200mm and raise you 100mm.

Now, if I could just get it to focus on the right spot. Perhaps the f/4 version with the autofocus would be better for me.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Greg - I agree that the 200m APO is a demanding lens when focusing wide open. My keeper rate went up substantially after using the RRS monopod head w/ a Manfrotto monopod. It was very easy to carry with a total weight probably less than 2 pounds. Without that set-up my keeper rate was probably less than 20%; with it, the keeper rate was easily 80% or higher. By keeper, I just in mean it was well focused. Looking above I see that Tim is headed in the opposite direction talking about F11 and F16; I don't think any of my lenses have ventured past F8! LOL But if someone is looking for a lens where backgrounds just melt-away, the 200mm APO on a 48x36mm sensor is sublime. And just to buck the trend here, this was handheld (gasp!). I just loved the bokeh on that lens. I think Cindy Flood bought mine..., I still miss that lens.

It also has a nice 3D feel to its renderings -

SecondFocus

Interesting thread...

So out of the AF (not D) 150, 105-210, and 210 which would you say was the sharpest best image producing lens.

Just curious as to your opinions, I have all three.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SecondFocus View Post
    Interesting thread...

So out of the AF (not D) 150, 105-210, and 210 which would you say was the sharpest best image producing lens.

Thanks!
    I had all three lenses, and sold all three lenses, not for any reason other than not using them enough. The 150mm was the best of the bunch for me. I replaced it with the 150mm D series, which is heaps better.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not used all three, but I would vote for the 150mm F3.5 AF based on its aperture. Given that most digital backs start at ISO 50, having the added aperture speed is a saving grace when shooting outdoors and light is fading. Of course, that argument also makes a case for buying the F2.8 version.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SecondFocus View Post
    Interesting thread...

Thanks!
    I think I'd go with the 150, though my 3.5 was not as sharp as the 2.8D.

I've never used the zoom so can't comment. The 210 is a very sharp lens too, but while I carry it a lot, I hardly ever use it!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have the zoom, but do have the 150 f/3.5 and the 210 ULD. Of those two, I feel the 210 has the edge, but both are quite good. I don't think that anyone disputes the superiority of the 150 f/2.8 D though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have a 150 2.8 but still buying a 200 2.8 AGAIN.

glenfoxman

Okay MAMIYA 645AFD shooters share your Lens knowledge Please

I very informally compared the Schneider 80N against the Mamiya 80 af, but not D, and the 55-11080. The quality of the images was in the same order.

Im not sure that its fair comparing the 55-110 against the Schneider; its like comparing an MPV against a Ferrari. A Ferrari can go quick, but where do you put the kids?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I had a Ferrari the kids stay home , end of story. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Well I like to thank every one here that has share their knowledge of the MF with me, but at this time I have decided that I will remain with 35mm, since is a media to which I'm very familiar and use it for both Cinematography and Photography projects, especially now with the New RED EPIC, so again thank you, but I have decided not to upgrade to the DF and actually sale the P1 645AF body/Lens as well.