The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Okay MAMIYA 645AFD shooters, share your Lens knowledge..Please!!

Dale Allyn

Depending on one's expectations, purchasing used Mamiya glass (pre-D models) until the budget allows the upgrades is not very expensive. Some of the lenses are only a few hundred dollars and can be resold for near what one pays. Consider any loss a light rental fee, though a loss is always needed to sell.

John Black just posted a the lens which Guy mentions above (150 f3/5) for $250. That's cheaper than most, but offers an idea.

Correction: it's still available and maybe the lowest price I've seen this lens go for (can't really recall).

KETCH ROSSI

Thanks Dale, you are right, and was considering just that, possibly getting at list a used 210 since I will have a 80 "D" coming with the system.

Dale Allyn

Ketch, I have a 210 and I'm very happy with it. I have only shot one copy of it, and that is on the very "forgiving" P25+ (9 micron pixels). I like the overall character of the lens, and mine is quite sharp. The 210 is generally very highly regarded, but now with the P65+ all previous evaluations must be reconsidered.

I agree with Guy about starting slow and building. Typically we have a few focal lengths that are sort of "must have" and the others are less urgent. I seem to use all of my lenses, but find that the 45mm is least used on my 1.1x sensor. And then on a recent outing I was really, really glad I had it in the bag. (BTW: I'd avoid the older non-D 45mm if you shoot wide-open or nearly so. My use of it is stopped down. The new "D" would be the way to go now.)

kdphotography

John Black just posted a the lens which Guy mentions above (150 f3/5) for $250. That's cheaper than most, but offers an idea.

Correction: it's still available and maybe the lowest price I've seen this lens go for (can't really recall).
I feel that I just about gave my 150mm 3.5 away---since having acquired the newer 150mm D series. But as pointed out before, by selling here, you avoid potentially costly Ebay listing/selling fees---and the lens does get to stay in the GetDPI family.

:)

Don Libby

Ketch - Welcome to the wonderful and often daunting world of medium format! You picked a great back in the P30+ and I'm certain you'll get great results from it. I used the P30+ along with the Mamiya AFD II then the Phase until I decided to go strictly with a technical camera and moved to the P45+. I used the 28mm which turned out to be a favorite as well as the 35mm, 75-150 and 300. My two most used lens were the 28 and 75-150. I think if you keep with your wish list of "D" glass you really should go wrong.

Best of luck!

Don

KETCH ROSSI

Thanks again all of you, this is such a great filling, being welcomed so warmly!

definitely will stay with "D" glass series only, at list till the new lenses come out and will see if they will be as good or better, and what use I can make of the faster sync speeds.

The 210 in Portrait for me is one if not the most lens Focal I will come to use, as in the 35mm world, the "L" 135, was the most used one, followed by the "L" 85, unfortunately I see that the 210 does not come in the "D" series :(

Dale Allyn

As an owner and lover of the Canon 135mm f/2.0 L (and the 85 L), I doubt that you'll find the missing "D" on the 210 a problem. Note however, that IMO you are not going to experience bokeh character of the 85L or the 135L with the Mamiya 210. This has nothing to do with "D" or no D, but the wonderfully absent AA filter on the P1 back and so many other factors.

One feature that is appreciated with the "D" lenses is the AF/MF clutch on the lenses, and the 210mm ULD has this feature as well.

KETCH ROSSI

Not sure I understand your point on the Bokeh:confused:

Surely there will be differences as they are with the 1.6 cropped sensors vs. the FF 35mm sensors, and so there will be differences cause of the much larger MF sensor, but what about the AA filter absence, and how those this effect the bokeh? Positively I imagine.

Shooting Portraiture and High Fashion when outdoors Bokeh is a very important aspect of my photography work, especially as I like to shoot WO.

Dale Allyn

Not sure I understand your point on the Bokeh:confused:

Surely there will be differences as they are with the 1.6 cropped sensors vs. the FF 35mm sensors, and so there will be differences cause of the much larger MF sensor, but what about the AA filter absence, and how those this effect the bokeh? Positively I imagine.

Shooting Portraiture and High Fashion when outdoors Bokeh is a very important aspect of my photography work, especially as I like to shoot WO.
Ketch,

I didn't mean to startle you. ;) Just that since you referred to the Canon 85 and 135, and since I particularly like the bokeh from both, I thought I would mention that there will be differences. I don't know the optical physics at play regarding the differences, but I do consider the Canon 85 L to produce some mighty buttery bokeh that is not typically the look we get (or at least "I" get) from MFDB. The lack of AA filter is a huge plus for image quality IMO, but that wonderful clarity may also be contributing to the differences I see in the bokeh. It really depends on how one shoots, the geometry of the setting, etc.

I don't own it, but the Hassey 110 has some mighty buttery bokeh and can be fitted to the Mamiya body with an adapter. And the Mamiya 150 D looks darn nice too, though different. Bokeh is very subjective, as well as being affected by many factors, as I'm sure you know.

Don't worry. Maybe just temper your expectations (if needed) until you make some images with your new kit. :)

KETCH ROSSI

Hehe, no arm done Dale,

and yes I like to shoot WO when possible, and the Bokeh plays a large role in my style, the 85L is f/1.2 so in order to get similar Bokeh with MF will have to be no less then an f/2.8 lens like the 150 :D" which I will be getting o doubt.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Ketch you will get that look with a 150 just get your softening brush out. The 150 is killer sharp at critical focus point. Since you are in Vegas my bet is you may like to gamble a little . I say a dozen donuts has you just about falling off the chair when you see the detail on your monitor. You will be floored. LOL It's that good when you jump into MF land. BTW 1.2 on a Canon is about a 2.8 or F4 on a MF lens. Test this DOF out . That shot at 1.2 you just showed us really is about F4 in MF . 2.8 is razor thin

Dale Allyn

I did a portrait session (outdoors) a couple of weeks ago. I shot mostly with the Phase back, but mixed the Canon w/85 L and 135 L lenses in a bit too. To be honest, while the client was happy with any and all, I hated the very visible difference between the two kits (loving the P1). I know the differences between the kits, and normally just shoot one or the other, but mixing in the same shoot under the same conditions left me wishing I'd not wasted the time with the Canon.

Still, I'm no bashing the Canon stuff. I don't like that type of forum play. Just that I really appreciate the visible differences. Of course this was all shot at lower ISOs, so one needs to keep a broad view when considering this different gear choices.

KETCH ROSSI

No gamble, no drinking, no drugs Guy..just Girls "D

Yes the above shots was made with the 1Ds III & 70-200 WO @ 2.8, and can't wait to see what I can do in MF world!

Well Dale. I did enjoy my Canon gear, but now with the jump in to MF I have sold it all, and hope never to look back!!

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

The 75-150 zoom is excellent, and select copies of the older 55-110 and 105-210 can be very good. 55AF is generally excellent, but 45 AF's don't usually cut it on full-frame -- however, may be just fine with your crop P30+. Ditto 35. 80 D is excellent, 150 2.8 D is perhaps the best lens I have ever owned period -- it is stunningly excellent. Older 150/3.5 is also very good, and excellent once stopped down a few. 120 Macro is excellent, 210 ULD is excellent, and 300 is stellar.
I really wish you'd SHUT UP, Jack! I've been hearing about that darn 150 2.8 from you for some time now, and tonight I finally broke down and ordered one.

Can I send you the bill? (Like I don't know the answer to that!)

I'll report on it when it arrives and if its really really really good maybe I'll forgive you.

Bill

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Good at least Jack is getting the crap this time. i get blamed for some many lens purchases it's scary. LOL

Go get him Bill don't let him off the hook that easy. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

John Black

If seeking bokeh and narrow DOF, then the Mamiya 200mm F2.8 APO is worth looking at. It too is quite sharp wide open and on tight head shots the DOF will be very thin.

KETCH ROSSI

Thanks John, She is on my list :) Evens o I must admit this time I'm trying to stay away from the BIG whites :) Had all of them for my Canons, and just want to try end avoid them all together if I can, truly hope for a 210 replacement with the "D" and at 2.8 as well, but Black.

Henry Goh

I really wish you'd SHUT UP, Jack! I've been hearing about that darn 150 2.8 from you for some time now, and tonight I finally broke down and ordered one.

Can I send you the bill? (Like I don't know the answer to that!)

I'll report on it when it arrives and if its really really really good maybe I'll forgive you.

Bill
Bill you fell into Jack's web. I had thought you were safe from it all by using that 75-150mm zoom but curiosity got the better of you.
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: