The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica delays S2 shipments until late December

bradhusick

Official Statement from Leica:

The Leica S-System has attracted a great deal of attention among photographers since it was announced at Photokina 2008. Orders for the system have been much higher than expected, and in order to meet this higher demand, we have decided to adapt the S-System production lines to enable a higher daily output. Due to the fact that this cannot be done during running production, and because the process calls for further testing and optimisation at some stages, first deliveries will commence from calendar week 50 (w/c 7 December 2009).

carstenw

Disappointing. I was hoping to see one soon. I hope this is really the truth, but I guess sales numbers will show.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I think it probably is more or less true: I am invited to shoot what I believe will be a production model on the 11th November under studio conditions and I will be allowed to take my Phase kit to compare. I don't think that they'd be doing that if they weren't about ready with the product but.... we'll see!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
So we finally can be happy if we can buy a S2 spring or summer 2010 ....

I think this strategy will for sure not help Leica against their competition :confused:

jonoslack

Actually Leica said deliveries starting 2nd week of Jan 2010
HI Henry
Where did you get that from?
AP and other sources say week 50.

Tim
I agree - especially as they are clearly having difficulties right now getting the M9 production up to speed. Shipping three new cameras in 4 months when you've only done one in the past 5 years must be a bit of a challenge!

G

gdwhalen

This is the same thing that happened with the DMR. In that case the files were great but the sensor was already a generation or two behind. Timelines are different now. Much shorter lifespans for digital products and every delay just opens up the door for being yesterday's news. Keep in mind, that this camera was "announced" over a year ago. And now they are going to wait another two months.

I partially agree that if the files are excellent that it won't matter. But it WILL matter when Phase and Hasselblad introduce their next generation and trump the S2. Something is amiss.

Christopher

I don't know, we will see but right now when I talk to dealer about the S2, they are pretty quite. They are selling quite a few Hassis and P40, but when it comes ti Leica and the S2, you hear nothing. That is not to implies that the camera itself is not good, just shows again, that Leica really has no clue of marketing or anything else. You could prevent some of these current sales, quite easily by finally showing the real quality of the S2. RAW Files ^^ However perhaps Leica just does not care to loose pros, there certainly are enough rich people who want just a symbol. Hey perhaps Leica even manages to delay the larger quantities of shipments until, Canon comes out with a 1DsMkV (IV). That certainly would be interesting.

pcunite

If the camera is so good (and there are not production problems as opposed to production shortages) then why not get it into the hands of the rich and famous so we can desire to be like them? With Leaf introducing an $8,000 back some of us might not have any money left for dream products come December...

robmac

While company apologists (be it Leica, Nikon, Canon or whomever) and PR types will always put a positive spin on the bleakest news, this is not good news and highlights the issue of announcing a product so far ahead of anticipated release.

The timeline of market's reactions (tongue on cheek):

"Holy Cr*p, nice MFD-esque kit, Leica glass+Phase alliance - wicked"
"Oh, oh, what do you mean no Phase alliance?" (about 1 hr after initial press release..)
- time passes-
"Oooh, look at what Hassy and Phase just announced..."
"Ok, where are the S2 pre-production 3rd party reviews?"
"Sweet baby Jeebus, did I read those prices right...!?"
"Hum, delayed, not biggie, I guess"
"Uh, where are the RAW files?...helllooooo"
"Let me know when I can test one... and IF I haven't bought anything in mean time, we'll see..."
"Oh, another delay - something's amiss...."

All in good fun, but...

The explanation as given, makes no sense. That said, reading between the lines, a good guess (of many) would be they are having too high a re-work rate on finished units. That being that too many S2s are having to go back thru production and testing after failing QC or they are seeing too high a variance between units. This slows production down to a crawl and opens up a HUGE potential problem if any percentage of units slip thru the final testing cracks. Thus the need to shut down the line and rework it.

Regardless of the reason, ongoing delays, regardless of spin when entering a new, small market up against Hassy and Phase is not good. That said, given that the vast percentage of S2s will likely sell to enthusiasts vs pros, the delay might not cost them that much.

PeterA

I dont give a fat ratz behind how many 'new' products and 'new' technologies PhaMiyBlad announce before the S2 comes out. I am megapixeled out and dont need to use a 28mm lens at 100 metres to do macro shots of the hairs on flies behinds.

Leica can take as much time as they need to bring out the S2 and the usual naysayers and vetsed interests can bring out a new body and a new magapixel and a new whatever in the meantime - relly changes nothing for Leica people.

What is obvious to anybody - is that the M9 is a major major success as far as demand goes - this so called dead company has come back very strong. M9 for Christmas and an S2 for Easter - thats a good plan dont you think? -:)

S

Shelby Lewis

M9 for Christmas and an S2 for Easter - thats a good plan dont you think? -:)
well... the generations-old question still remains to be answered (this time I'll only put it to leica)... does Easter bring a resurrection or just inky blackness?

:D

G

gdwhalen

I dont give a fat ratz behind how many 'new' products and 'new' technologies PhaMiyBlad announce before the S2 comes out. I am megapixeled out and dont need to use a 28mm lens at 100 metres to do macro shots of the hairs on flies behinds.

Leica can take as much time as they need to bring out the S2 and the usual naysayers and vetsed interests can bring out a new body and a new magapixel and a new whatever in the meantime - relly changes nothing for Leica people.

What is obvious to anybody - is that the M9 is a major major success as far as demand goes - this so called dead company has come back very strong. M9 for Christmas and an S2 for Easter - thats a good plan dont you think? -:)
What is an "Leica people"? I have shot Leica for 15+ years but certainly don't want to ever consider myself a "Leica people".

robmac

Part of my point -- and THE strongest market dynamic Leica has in it's favor.

As for the M9, I was talking about the S2. They be different kettles of fish (a disgusting mental visual, but..)

...Leica can take as much time as they need to bring out the S2 and the usual naysayers and vetsed interests can bring out a new body and a new magapixel and a new whatever in the meantime - relly changes nothing for Leica people....:)

PeterA

What is an "Leica people"? I have shot Leica for 15+ years but certainly don't want to ever consider myself a "Leica people".
Sorry I dont know how to navigate the obviously complicated minefield of your sensitivities. OR it was a humouristic simplification describing the simple notion of a collective who liek to buy and use a leica product(s) OR it was a black satirical poke in teh ribs of the leica tribe of fanatical users OR a thousand other potential post modernist mental torture tests for those so inclienmd to take offence at anything they feel inclined to take offence

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I fully understand that Hassi and Phase are selling very good with their new products. And they both are adding to an already very complete system.

The S2 is completely new, no real system behind for the moment and the biggest issue which was already mentioned here, that the sensor and electronics are already 2 year old designs as per today, if not more than that.

SO when the S2 hits really the streets I expect some very great new stuff coming from Phase and maybe then also from Hassi with some delay. Will everybody need this? NO! But it is also not good for the S2.

I had the same issue with the DMR, and I guess I will be strong enough not to repeat this again.