The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUN WITH LEICA S2 IMAGES

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJL

I was hoping that Phase would put the DAM features into C1 5, but apparently not!
Jono,
We can keep asking and prodding, and it may come into consideration.;) Phase has a pretty powerful app in C1, and it could become the most preferred if it started to offer a few more of those features.

Like you, I still have too many other things (books, Web pages, etc.) tied up in Aperture, which is really nice to have, so I do not really want to abandon it either. One way to manage the conversion, as was mentioned, would be to export a master with metadata and all, then import into LR3 or whatever else. That still does not solve those other problems. Instead, I may keep Aperture for doing just those selected things as needed....importing finished stuff from C1, LR3, PSD files, etc., and use it that way, while doing the heavy lifting with the others, if they do a better job. Right now, Aperture is doing a better job on many files compared to LR2, but unless they start to update things more fully, they will lose some followers.

LJ

carstenw

When Apple were a few months behind with cameras, I was just irritated, but these days they seem to be years behind (still no support for the d-lux4, G1 etc.) it wouldn't be so bad if they actually gave us some information about it, but it's silence as usual.
My feeling about Apple is that their recent success means that they are de-emphasizing their pro programs, and are moving more mainstream.

carstenw

Thanks for that - I hadn't asked the question, but the fact that they had an M9 early on in the process suggested to me that they would have an S2 as well.
I don't think that necessarily follows. I presume that Phase's primary business is still backs, and not software. As such, the Leica S2 is a threat, and I don't think that Phase will make full support, like for their own backs. The 35mm FF SLRs are a different matter, in that they don't really compete in the same market.

PeterA

The starting thread title was inflammatory - perhaps the whole thread could have been stopped by simply removing the topic as it started.

The types of discussion we are now having in the forums is far less friendly than a year ago - oh and FAR less interesting or informative.

A year ago I knew who actually used what gear and at least had the sense that this or that person was talking from experience... these days?

People should understand that here are many reasons why people choose this or that versus this or the other thing. RESPECT for people and their right to make their own decisions should be the first rule of engagement.

I think all the companies should be treated with respect and encouraged to participate in the forum. Poeple should be allowed to make specific and technical criticism of this or that thing - however broad based cultural criticism of ANY company or fairy floss talk about eg STRATEGY and other BS - should be minimal.

i come here to learn from other people's true experiences and share my own -frankly local yokel commentary on business strategy from peanuts that dont even own any gear - just makes me angry because it tells company reps to stay away from yet another crackpot inrternet forum.

We dont ewant that do we?

David K

Workshop Member
The types of discussion we are now having in the forums is far less friendly than a year ago - oh and FAR less interesting or informative.

A year ago I knew who actually used what gear and at least had the sense that this or that person was talking from experience... these days?
Have to agree with you Peter and it has me scratching my head as to why this is the case...particularly here in the MF forum.

pcunite

i come here to learn from other people's true experiences and share my own -frankly local yokel commentary on business strategy from peanuts that dont even own any gear - just makes me angry because it tells company reps to stay away from yet another crackpot inrternet forum.
Companies don't brutally compare their cameras with other cameras shooting the exact same scenes under the exact same circumstances... most owners don't or can't do this either. That leaves us with all this ongoing emotional feelings about what we've spent vs. what other people have spent (or invest) or what we didn't spend vs. what someone else spent. Thus forums have become a place for people to beat their chests such that he who has spent the most is chief among us.

Manufactures can participate by answering questions about their offerings or comparing their systems to others and give us real rock hard evidence about the differences. They have chosen the former and is probably the best path for them to take. Brands need people to be emotional about them in the face of what they and their customers really need after all.

In short I think that everything is going according to human nature just fine. There is nothing that anyone is going to do to change unless HasselBlad, Mamiya, Phase, and Leica turn into charities to ease the sufferings of photographers. And unless photographers see each others as brothers (picture all of us locked arm in arm singing) then there is going to be ruffled feathers because we don't all own the same things largely because of financial differences.

Who among us would not have at least one 1Ds Mark III or Nikon D3x, with a Phase p65+ or H4D-60 and a Leica M9 in our bag? Three cameras for every need. Well I think you know why nobody on this board has that. As financial tensions in our industry (from all the free work) along with economic tensions in our world increase these forums are only going to get more heated.

It used to be that a man could afford his tools. I think it is fair to say that this is not the case for the photographic industry currently. All the skill and eye and whatever in the world does not earn one a p65+ when you just bought a P30+ two years ago now does it?

Ahhh but is photography a trade or a hobby... that brings us a whole wash of persons not looking at things the same way... makes for even more emotions.

Take care...

paulmoore

Any images from Photo Plus East yet?

Robert
I popped off a few shots today with the s2 and have been looking at them via lightroom then into ps tonight.
they had a model and a briese parabolic set up..shot with the 70 and 180
and had it tethered to a macbook pro 15'' with lightroom.. images came up in about 5 secs low res on..then took about another 5 seconds to sharpen up to full res. they copied the shots onto the cf card I brought.
the files are large.. 76mb as dng
Leica said I could use/share as long as not in any advertising, I am open to suggestions on how to make available a couple of them here if others would like to check out.
my feeling is the camera felt great and was quieter than I remember.

paulmoore

okay, I will use my yousendit acct and link to my dropbox
there are 2 shots, one from the 70mm and one from the 180mm, straight from camera to lightroom and exported as dng..
keep in mind that I just walked up and was handed the camera and fired away..
the made it easy with a tech there and lighting was already set, iso 160 which their baseline.. I did not try a pull to 80 or a higher iso's - maybe someone else can show a higher asa shot.
background was blk foamcore about 5 ft behind the model and was not pure black.

Last edited:

mtomalty

frankly local yokel commentary on business strategy from peanuts that dont even own any gear - just makes me angry because it tells company reps to stay away from yet another crackpot inrternet forum.
See how easy it is Peter.
You've just contributed, exactly, the type of inflammatory comment
that makes you angry.

Yes, the thread title is suggestive but hardly inflammatory.
A fair bit of BS has floated to the surface but, with it, some useful
information and, hopefully, within a few hours people will include some
actual S2 images for review.

Mark

www.marktomalty.com

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If we get S2 support in C1, then the whole game will become totally different - at least for me.

I know there are different opinions around, I am also using Aperture and LR, but I really like C1 and CS4 and this became my preferred workflow, regardless if some features are supported better in Aperture or LR.

So end of the day the whole story might end up fine, have a S2 for light MF shooting and a Phase P40+ for the real MFDB flexibility if needed.

I see one will end up with multiple systems also in the future :D

carstenw

Yes, the thread title is suggestive but hardly inflammatory.
I agree with Peter here. Opening a thread with this title long before images are available just feels like a dig, and when I saw the thread pop up, my first thought was "here we go again". There are so many people willing to take a swing at Leica it isn't even funny, but in the end the "fanboy" moniker is used much more often, counter-intuitively.

Personally, I would be happy to see this thread getting deleted, and perhaps Paul Moore starting a new one with the images he has posted.

jonoslack

I agree with Peter here. Opening a thread with this title long before images are available just feels like a dig, and when I saw the thread pop up, my first thought was "here we go again". There are so many people willing to take a swing at Leica it isn't even funny, but in the end the "fanboy" moniker is used much more often, counter-intuitively.

Personally, I would be happy to see this thread getting deleted, and perhaps Paul Moore starting a new one with the images he has posted.
HI Carsten
Perhaps the controversial posts should be deleted rather than the whole thread?

I'd be quite happy for that to happen, and I guess Peter would as well. It's pretty clear which are the offending, and which the constructive posts.

Perhaps I'm too sensitive, but I find the 'fanboy' term really tricky, with it's combination of patronising and aggressive implication.

carstenw

Thus forums have become a place for people to beat their chests such that he who has spent the most is chief among us.
This has never and will never be the case. The guy who buys massive amounts of expensive equipment but cannot make top-notch photos has no stature whatsoever compared to the people making beautiful shots.

Brands need people to be emotional about them in the face of what they and their customers really need after all.
I disagree again. There is no need for this kind of chest-thumping. People buy systems to get work done or to enjoy their hobby, end of story. I see emotions about equipment as being similar to religion, it is a very personal thing, and going public with it is highly inappropriate. Chatting about appreciation of equipment is fine, but there is a fat line in the sand between that and proselytizing.

And unless photographers see each others as brothers (picture all of us locked arm in arm singing) then there is going to be ruffled feathers because we don't all own the same things largely because of financial differences.
I disagree yet again. Ultimately even the most expensive equipment is not above almost all of our reach, if we prioritize that way. Photo equipment just isn't that expensive. I realized yesterday that I could buy a H3DII-50 for 500/month for 3 years. Not exactly hardship, if I prioritize that way. Of course, most of us don't want to prioritize that way, but it isn't because we can't.

Who among us would not have at least one 1Ds Mark III or Nikon D3x, with a Phase p65+ or H4D-60 and a Leica M9 in our bag? Three cameras for every need.
Most of us on this forum, I bet. Having too much equipment is like too much bread and not enough butter, it dilutes our creativity. I deliberately chose to have only Leica M and MF, skipping the A900 I was lusting for, precisely because I don't want to be in a situation of choosing between systems for any given project. Look at others too. Guy is always trying to find the system which does everything he needs. 1 system. Jack also uses only MF, I think, or perhaps there is a second camera there somewhere. And so on. A few collect more, but interestingly, they also post less photos. Too much equipment dilutes you.

It used to be that a man could afford his tools. I think it is fair to say that this is not the case for the photographic industry currently. All the skill and eye and whatever in the world does not earn one a p65+ when you just bought a P30+ two years ago now does it?
The upgrade price is within reach, if the need is there. I would say that if the need is there, the income to manage the payments would also be there. I think that fiscal conservatism is more likely behind the decision not to upgrade than any actual barrier.

carstenw

HI Carsten
Perhaps the controversial posts should be deleted rather than the whole thread?
I just skimmed the thread, and on page 1 there are two useful posts, one each from Woody and Peter A. On this page there is some interesting commentary, but about LR and Aperture, not about the S2. Then there are the images from Paul Moore. A total of three, useful, on-topic posts in an entire thread. I am still for the deletion of it. The three useful posts will be recreated very fast.

fotografz

Jezzo-pezzo guys, give it a rest.

Wait until YOU can get your hands on one, or wait until someone YOU respect does. If it isn't until next year, so what?

Man, nothing seems to inspire bickering like the word "Leica".

Peace on the forum. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.