The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Mamiya DM22 / DM28

carstenw

Well, I'll be damned. What is happening to Hasselblad and Phase? Are they running scared or did they plan to do 90% of their price-cuts in a single year all along? It is like everyone's prayers in the last 10 years came true this year (as long as everything ships eventually, that is).

Oren Grad

Yes, the DM22 appears to be the same kit as the new Leaf Aptus II-5 package. Evidently MAC wants to hold on to a piece of the action even as Phase One swallows up all the pieces.

Uaiomex

Great blog David.
The pics of the blonde with the silver bracelet really makes my 5D2 ordinary in comparison. I realize the S2 will be amazing as expected. I can't understand how a lot of photographers can't tell the difference between 35 and MF. In the case of the S2 is so obvious! When I opened the 100% crop I was petrified for 10 seconds. It redifines "sharp"
Thanks
Eduardo

Yes, these cameras use the 22 and 28MP Leaf backs.

There will also be 33 and 56MP Mamiya cameras coming soon as well, also sporting Leaf backs.

David

pcunite

I can't understand how a lot of photographers can't tell the difference between 35 and MF. In the case of the S2 is so obvious! When I opened the 100% crop I was petrified for 10 seconds. It redifines "sharp"
There has never been a doubt that MFD looks better at 100%. The question is how much of that improvement makes it into prints smaller than 16x24 and small web viewing for the normally $30K asking prices.

Uaiomex

Well, I can't say because I have no digital back for my 500CM yet. What I really meant was that I usually can see from the average pics posted here and in other forums the superiority of the bigger sensors. Sometimes I can't tell really.
Once in a while I think that maybe it is because better photogs prefer MF? Or it's because the bigger sensors? Both?
We knew in the film era that bigger film gave beter quality images. Digital sensors are different but the law of physics still apply, don't they?

This is the way I see it:
Real things in life are as big as life itself. When we capture something photographically we fit all that information in tiny areas either chemically or electrically. That is a form of compression.
When we decompress that info to make a print or view on our computer screens, we are already missing information because in the process some information is lost and some of the information kept becomes fuzzy and/or modified.

Music recording is analog to this of course. I imagine mp3 storage analog to point&shoot cameras, AAC to 4/3 cameras, wav to ff dslr's and so on.

Following this logic, bigger sensors should keep more and better quality information when used to record the visual part of real life.

Often I can tell the difference between mp3 and wav even if the audio system is not acceptably good. With good audio systems it is the same story.

I'd love to hear opinions and thoughts over this.
Eduardo

There has never been a doubt that MFD looks better at 100%. The question is how much of that improvement makes it into prints smaller than 16x24 and small web viewing for the normally $30K asking prices.

carstenw

No one pays $30k for a system only to do web images or small prints. Apart from that, there are other images characteristics than sheer number of pixels and sharpness at the pixel level, such as dynamic range, smooth transitions and lack of Canon-typical CA. All of these together make a pretty big difference that you would be able to see even in smaller prints than 16x24 on occasion.

Steve Hendrix

No, the DM 28 uses a smaller sensor.

Correct.

Mamiya
DM22: 22 MP, 48X36
DM28: 28 MP, 44X33
DM33: 33 MP, 48X36
DM56: 56 MP, 56X36

Leaf
Aptus II 5: 22 MP, 48X36
Aptus II 6: 28 MP, 44X33
Aptus II 7: 33 MP, 48X36
Aptus II 10: 56 MP, 56X36

Steve Hendrix

C

canon5dshooter

I would love to see some samples from the DM22, especially with the new 110mm lens.