Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Leica S2 System and Image Quality

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The Leica S2 System and Image Quality

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Well, since some folks are preliminarily impressed and don't mind saying so, I guess it's okay to say I'm preliminarily not.

It looks like a Canon 1DsMKIII shot to me ... except you can blow it up a bit more, or crop it more. I don't like the foreground camera right hair at all ... detail looks smoothly blocked up and a bit waxy. Looked at in ACR and C1-Pro.

It's all preliminary. So, it means nothing yet. But, I don't like the direction.

Frankly, I was hoping for a DMR on steroids.

-Marc
    marc,
    from what I have seen of the dozen or so shots I got from few minutes of shooting..it is like my dmr on steroids. This was just one tiny sliver of the possible shooting conditions that we deal with..yet it meant something and was confirmation of the ease of shooting and the quality of the lens.. more so for me, as I saw the the set, lighting, model,makeup and wardrobe first hand. I would like a through testing with it to see how it holds up to all the conditions I shoot in, but from my tests the other day I am so far impressed.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by paulmoore View Post
    marc,
    from what I have seen of the dozen or so shots I got from few minutes of shooting..it is like my dmr on steroids. This was just one tiny sliver of the possible shooting conditions that we deal with..yet it meant something and was confirmation of the ease of shooting and the quality of the lens.. more so for me, as I saw the the set, lighting, model,makeup and wardrobe first hand. I would like a through testing with it to see how it holds up to all the conditions I shoot in, but from my tests the other day I am so far impressed.
    Yeah, the whole "shooting experience" part of the equation is missing when just viewing a few "studio" files. That is a fair portion of the S2 appeal.

I really need to get one of these in my hands.

Pixel peeping aside, ALL of these cameras look good when shooting in the studio with great lighting ... or outside in perfect "fat" light. I'd love to have some properly exposed files shot in less ideal light using a SF58 with a bounce diffuser @ ISO 400, 500, 640 and 800 using the dragging the shutter technique in lower light ... which is how I would most likely use the S2 at least 80% of the time. I don't need the camera for low available light, nor do I use the Nikon D3X or Sony A900 that way ... I use fill flash 80% of the time on and off camera. The M9 and all the super fast M lenses are my available light tools.

I just don't see this camera as replacing my MFD system ... but I'd gladly abandon most all of the 35mm DSLR gear if it could perform in those conditions reasonably well. I know from direct experience in my shooting scenarios that a wide, 70 and the 180 would be all that's needed.

What I have and what I actually use are two different things. Looking at the exif info collection from 1000 shots in Bridge reveals the truth of the matter.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

FYI, I looked at the images in all four of the latest versions of C1 and Aperture, as well as LR 2.4 and LR 3 beta. For me, both C1 and Aperture showed maze patterns and other artifacts, which neither version of LR did. Maze patterns especially are a sign of the raw converter not being tuned to the peculiarities of the camera. So I'd suggest not making any conclusions from anything you're seeing in either C1 or Aperture.

Sandy
    Last edited by sandymc; 24th October 2009 at 07:58.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    It looks like a Canon 1DsMKIII shot to me ... except you can blow it up a bit more, or crop it more. I don't like the foreground camera right hair at all ... detail looks smoothly blocked up and a bit waxy.
    I'd agree. But I think it's more the lighting here...?

Quote Originally Posted by sandymc View Post
    For me, both C1 and Aperture showed maze patterns and other artifacts, which neither version of LR did.
    yes, C1 produces a lot of artifacts. Too, the blacks are much more noisy than in ACR... finer noise but more noise. It's always the same with unsupported files in C1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

2 in-camera JPGs: http://www.photoscala.de/Artikel/Lei...-echt%E2%80%9C
    again shot at small apertures...

Post Thanks / Like

I downloaded and looked at the DNG files in ACR and must say that we're pretty spoilt for resolution and detail these days if these files, not even properly supported by the standard raw converters yet, can pull out so much detail and tone and not be best in class. I've no doubt the P65+ etc is better but, man, the S2 seems a great tool for those of us who value size and weather sealing over an interchangeable back.

I think when it's finally released properly to the public the only real valid criticism of its performance, aside from other system issues, will be its high price point on spec. I'm only a lowly photographer but I think a product like this, considering its specs and current comparative technology, should be 1/4 cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Photo East is a couple of hours from closing and we haven't,
    exactly, seen an avalanche of S2 files.

The files we have seen certainly show the S2 as competent but nothing
    that makes one get in line to wait

I don't know if I've missed another thread but, surely, there must be
    more variety of samples available somewhere?

Even the Leica Users Forum doesn't have a single new thread
    dealing with S2 images coming out of NYC this weekend

If nothing more is forthcoming I'm going to see if I can get clearance
    from Amy, at Leica, to make available a couple of my outdoor test files
    that better illustrate the S2's performance (good) in rendering detail in
    a subject that might be more useful for a scenic oriented photographer

Mark

www.marktomalty.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There were a lot of people at the S2 shoot last Thursday, but there wasn't much variety of things to shoot - it was in a studio. The only choices were the model and skyline out the window. I was only able to get one shot out the window. Others got more including comparison shots whith a Phase 65 and 80D lens. I saw the Phase 65 and S2 files side by side in C1 and LR respectively and the S2 held it own. I was surprised it compared so well with the 65. Of course I don't expect anyone to believe it until they can make the comparison themselves. There was anotherperson comparing the S2 against their Hassay system, but I didn't see those files. I will say that I was impressed that Leica allowed customers to shoot comparisons with their rigs with the model and studio lighting. They weren't hiding anything about the S2.

I don't know if it has been mentioned elswhere, but the studio shoot was shot with the S2 tethered to a computer running LR using beta software which dumped the image into LR. It worked pretty well. Another thing worth mentioning is that I suspect a lot of the people at the shoot may not be on the forums. Hence, the shortage of images.

Mark

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In hindsight I should have brought a macbeth chart..Leica should have one there.. I didn't ask..maybe they did..
    The tethered set up, limited time, single light source and subject matter did not lend it self to a wide test.. also in hindsight I should have pushed to try other stuff, other iso's, should have brought in a bag of prop stuff and done a quick still life on the model's stool..or opened the black out curtains and do an available light portrait..lots could have, should have been done.. though another guy was waiting to shoot.
    I too was surprised at the other cameras there and leica's open attitude.
    Now that there are some production models out there I am sure they will put one or two in good tester's hands for at least a day of shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

With Capture Integration announcing that they are going to be carrying Leica now, I would like to see a more balanced and objective comparison (than what has been available so far, even in discussions without disclosure). I'm always skeptical of comparisons made between say a Phase back and _________ camera/back when the person doing the comparison can't wring the most out of the Phase. Same holds for Hassey files, etc. I believe that Doug at CI would be well equipped to make side-by-side comparisons of backs from P30+ to P65+ and the S-2 when they get the camera. And I also think that Doug should be given a bit of time to learn how to best finish the S-2 files before jumping to conclusion.

For me, all of the backs produce great results, so it boils down to need (and budget), workflow preferences, etc. I expect the S-2 to do well too, but if I were to be honest, I expected a bit more of the early files. My guess is that we aren't really seeing the best results yet, i.e. various sets, environments, processing, profiles, etc. And also to me, the S-2 is nothing of a "Phase Killer" as some started to spout, but a potential alternative for some who prefer the form-factor, weather sealing, etc.

Bottom line is, I'd like to see those real images of a variety of subject types, and then I'd like to see some properly processed comparisons. Not comparisons done with butchered Phase or Hassey files in comparison.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Allyn View Post
    With Capture Integration announcing that they are going to be carrying Leica now, I would like to see a more balanced and objective comparison (than what has been available so far, even in discussions without disclosure). I'm always skeptical of comparisons made between say a Phase back and _________ camera/back when the person doing the comparison can't wring the most out of the Phase. Same holds for Hassey files, etc. I believe that Doug at CI would be well equipped to make side-by-side comparisons of backs from P30+ to P65+ and the S-2 when they get the camera. And I also think that Doug should be given a bit of time to learn how to best finish the S-2 files before jumping to conclusion.

For me, all of the backs produce great results, so it boils down to need (and budget), workflow preferences, etc. I expect the S-2 to do well too, but if I were to be honest, I expected a bit more of the early files. My guess is that we aren't really seeing the best results yet, i.e. various sets, environments, processing, profiles, etc. And also to me, the S-2 is nothing of a "Phase Killer" as some started to spout, but a potential alternative for some who prefer the form-factor, weather sealing, etc.

Bottom line is, I'd like to see those real images of a variety of subject types, and then I'd like to see some properly processed comparisons. Not comparisons done with butchered Phase or Hassey files in comparison.
    If this helps getting some free time for Doug to run this comparison test - I fully back this idea !!!!

I would aldso like to see the Hasselblad 60MP and 50MP in this comparison then (basically all 6 micron backs - latest generation sensors).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Allyn View Post
    With Capture Integration announcing that they are going to be carrying Leica now
    do they? smart move.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If Capture Integration is going to start selling the Leica S2, then I think that is a validation of the S2 itself. I look forward to seeing their comparision between the Phase One and S2 systems. The CI reps have previously stated on this and other forums that they would evaluate the S2 when it becomes available and decide whether they wanted to start selling it.

Can one of the CI reps confirm whether they are going to sell the S2 and the results of their comparison? It would be good to know since there is a CI office only 2 hrs away from me.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, it was announced (by Guy) during the Oregon workshop, that CI was officially adding Leica to their stable. I'm sure the M9 has something to do with this decision as well (or at least I suspect so).

To be clear, I enjoy David Farkas' enthusiastic representation of the S2 et al, but comparisons to an iffy jpeg from a P65+ is not what I'm hoping to see going forward. I'm not really indicting David, just looking forward to more people, more skilled techs working the files to show us what each can really do. It does little good to work one file with great finesse and a comparison kit with less that similar technique.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry I missed Guy's announcement of Capture Integration's decision to carry Leica. Did I also miss their S2 / Phase One comparison? I ask because I really want to see other people's opion of how the S2 stacks up. I have seen only one raw file comparison between the S2 and PO P65, but it was hurried and not nearly enough to draw final conclusions - just initial impressions

Mark

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As announced at the workshop we met with Leica at our Atlanta office and had hands on time with the S2 and as a result of that meeting have placed our dealer-startup order with Leica.

Anyone hoping for immediate comparisons will be disappointed.

Upon public release of the system (they say firmware is final now - but there are no guarantees until the system is shipping in meaningful quantities) it will be a top priority for us to evaluate the system from top to bottom and make as many relevant comparisons as possible (not just IQ, but, for instance shooting speed while tethered) in real world situations. The sorts of shots that manufacturers release rarely include those which are difficult for the camera (e.g. mixed lighting, higher ISO, handholding, long exposures, dark subject matter in shadow with low frequency detail etc etc). In fact I still remember seeing the Nikon D3 images from the motorcycle racing at ISO25,600 which rocked my world. We also need to work out where the weaknesses in the files lay (pardon me for suggesting there could be anything but perfection ) and how to avoid them. This sort of thorough evaluation is going to take weeks to do right. Comparisons against technical cameras, Leaf, Phase, Canon, will take time. Frankly, if you don't have time to do that sort of thorough examination yourself, or to wait for others to do so on your behalf then --- well I don't know --- but you should take that time!

This will also mean learning-by-doing in regards to processing. In this regard I plan on consulting closely with this forum in an open-source sort of way to both speed the process of evaluation as well as increase the quality of that evaluation. Which raw processor will handle the files best at low ISO? at high ISO? What sharpening settings work best for it's grain structure? etc etc.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
    RSS Feed: Subscribe

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All that said... I'm *really* excited to work with this system. Good part of my job :-).

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, I don't think that there are any public comparisons yet. My hunch is that Dave Gallager made a business decision which was considerate of more than just the S2 details.

Here's the GetDPI post where Guy mentions it: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpo...3&postcount=78

Edit: Doug beat me to the punch.

Post Thanks / Like

Doug puts a nice point on my comment regarding giving CI/Doug enough time to ramp up on the processing quirks of the S2 (or anyone else doing such work). It serves no one, least of all CI clients, to make "comparisons" between files which are not each processed to the best potential outcome. This is a major pet peeve of mine, when we see some crappy file "x" compared to a pristine file "y".

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    If Capture Integration is going to start selling the Leica S2, then I think that is a validation of the S2 itself. I look forward to seeing their comparision between the Phase One and S2 systems. The CI reps have previously stated on this and other forums that they would evaluate the S2 when it becomes available and decide whether they wanted to start selling it.

Can one of the CI reps confirm whether they are going to sell the S2 and the results of their comparison? It would be good to know since there is a CI office only 2 hrs away from me.

Mark
    It's a business decision for sure by Dave and one I encouraged between both parties. It adds the dealer support that will be needed for the S2. Plus it will hopefully add to the rentals in South Beach which does see a lot of fashion shoots. I gave Doug and Dave the M9 demo for the day to play with and get to know it. Hopefully I will get a S2 for review myself pretty soon here from Leica.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    As announced at the workshop we met with Leica at our Atlanta office and had hands on time with the S2 and as a result of that meeting have placed our dealer-startup order with Leica.

Upon public release of the system (they say firmware is final now - but there are no guarantees until the system is shipping in meaningful quantities) it will be a top priority for us to evaluate the system from top to bottom and make as many relevant comparisons as possible (not just IQ, but, for instance shooting speed while tethered) in real world situations. The sorts of shots that manufacturers release rarely include those which are difficult for the camera (e.g. mixed lighting, higher ISO, handholding, long exposures, dark subject matter in shadow with low frequency detail etc etc). In fact I still remember seeing the Nikon D3 images from the motorcycle racing at ISO25,600 which rocked my world. We also need to work out where the weaknesses in the files lay (pardon me for suggesting there could be anything but perfection ) and how to avoid them. This sort of thorough evaluation is going to take weeks to do right. Comparisons against technical cameras, Leaf, Phase, Canon, will take time. Frankly, if you don't have time to do that sort of thorough examination yourself, or to wait for others to do so on your behalf then --- well I don't know --- but you should take that time!

This will also mean learning-by-doing in regards to processing. In this regard I plan on consulting closely with this forum in an open-source sort of way to both speed the process of evaluation as well as increase the quality of that evaluation. Which raw processor will handle the files best at low ISO? at high ISO? What sharpening settings work best for it's grain structure? etc etc.

Invaluable. Absolutely invaluable.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post

Absolutely great news!

Whatever support (if any) you can get from us here I will be one of the first to do so

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually Leica called me this morning and we chatted about the workshop and also about CI which they are excited they now are a Leica dealer and going forward looks like to be a winner for both of them. They also want me very much to get a S2 in my hands soon here to do a review on it as well, like I did with the M9. One catch is getting these production units around so I will most likely get one for a day to test out and according to them the sooner the better. So hopefully soon here we can get some balanced reports out with data to help people.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, I look forward to your thoughts on the S2. Hopefully, you will get to try one out soon. I predict you will really enjoy it. So far, high ISO noise is the only thing that concerns me (for how I want to use the camera) based on the little bit I have shot and seen S2 files. I expect improvements in ISO useability once the camera has been out a while and file processing is sorted out.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Depending on your needs ISO 640 should be fine since that is pretty common with CCD and the latest 6 micron sensors. Getting to ISO 1250 will be more of the challenge given the raw processor and how it does on noise. That is something we will have to see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking forward to your 'balanced' report Guy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Based on my limited shots at ISO 640 it looks like it will be perfectly useable for what I want. ISO 1250 is another story.

Post Thanks / Like

I would hope that the S2 will also deliver ISO 1250 with decent quality with a future FW version and better RAW profiles. This would add the additional margin to use this camera also not only for tripod landscape photography but for available light MF photography.

I am really looking forward to your test and findings Guy (and of course Doug) since I am still free to buy in whatever system which suits my needs best

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug, don't forget to add "Leica" to your signature line!
    Great seeing you in Oregon.
    -Brad

gdwhalen

Guy, don't forget about my prediction by Christmas!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

NOT. LOL

I'm actually very happy with my system but certainly always looking for the next best thing. I like the P40+ back and i do like the concept of the S2 but keeping a open mind on this stuff is more important. Coming back from Oregon shooting these backs including my own you realize just how good MF shooting is with the files. The detail is just amazing. Most people will look at the s2 at the detail and make their decision what they don't realize is all the backs and systems do the same thing. One point that people don't realize as well is the S2 is a smaller sensor and with that 5.6 is not the same compared with a bigger back so 5.6 maybe more like F8. We all know this in 35mm going up to MF that that difference maybe a good two stops or more. So a normal lens like on the S2 compared to a bigger sensor like a P45 or 65 will be totally different just in the DOF and same aperture. I say this because I already am reading some ill informed comments from some folks on other forums. Same applies to corner sharpness 5.6 or F8 will be different animals on different size sensor systems.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.photographyreview.com/mfr...1_3127crx.aspx

Talk about the S2 polarizing the photog community!

SEVENTEEN reviews!

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Victor,
    The link you sent shows 17 folks had offered a 1-5 star quick "rating" on the S2, but there are no reviews yet written/submitted for it in their presentations.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

exactly,
    17 people who will grade something they haven't seen.[mostly 1's and 5's..)

gdwhalen

It's ridiculous for anyone to give that poll any credibility and it is stupid to even run the poll in the first place. At least until the camera is released. What is the point?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gdwhalen View Post
    It's ridiculous for anyone to give that poll any credibility and it is stupid to even run the poll in the first place. At least until the camera is released. What is the point?
    I am agreeing with you here, and hence my asking what the point of the posting was all about. There is nothing to review. It is nothing more than folks casting a vote on something they may think or feel about the camera. Heck, there are more than 17-20 folks on this forum that have done the same, but maybe with a lot more words supporting their positions. That poll is NOT a list of "reviews" as was suggested. I think it worthless also. Just more static....

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Update i will have camera in hand full production model the first week of December. Will know exact dates next week so i can schedule some shoots with it for testing.

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Update i will have camera in hand full production model the first week of December. Will know exact dates next week so i can schedule some shoots with it for testing.
    Fasten your seat belts!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Guy,

I am really waiting for your test and comparisons!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, you may want to brush up on your Lightroom skills because I think you will find it to be better with the S2 than C1. Then again I haven't tried C1 ver. 5 with my S2 files so maybe it's different now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll download a trail version when it gets close but by than I expect updates to both programs. Trying to bring Jack over for these tests as well so we can do it together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds like a good idea. I am sure you already have an idea of certain things you want to test out on the S2 as you have on other cameras you have tested. I am especially interested in comparison to other similarly priced MF systems in terms of ISO performance, dynamic range, lens performance (e. g., corners, distorsion, etc.), and slow shutter speed hand holdability. I got to try the S2 myself in NYC last week, but only a few minutes with the camera is not enough time to pass judgement. As a result I wil do a more in depth hands on and read as many other reviews as possible before I commit money to the system. What I have seen so far looks promising.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Coming up with a plan as we speak on what I want to shoot. Also looking at getting a P40+ back from the CI folks to use besides my P30+. Would like a 6 micron back for this and basically same sensor size. Makes comparisons on a more equal and balanced level. Very hard to compare systems to begin with so keeping it simple is the ticket.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

P40+ vs. S2 sounds like a good match. Might even want to throw in an H3DII-50 to test Leica's claims Which lenses? The Leica 70mm is a lot more expensive (and presumably therefore in another league) compared to most normal lenses, which are old designs mostly. It would be great to compare the Leica 180mm vs. Phase 150D.
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    P40+ vs. S2 sounds like a good match. Might even want to throw in an H3DII-50 to test Leica's claims Which lenses? The Leica 70mm is a lot more expensive (and presumably therefore in another league) compared to most normal lenses, which are old designs mostly. It would be great to compare the Leica 180mm vs. Phase 150D.
    If you test a H3D-II/50 ... use the HC 100/2.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica 180mm vs. Phase 150D. NO QUESTION

Maybe by than the new LS 80mm will be out

Marc shooting white lace just for you bud

Jack and I will come up with a good plan that makes sense for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm still pretty confident that the Phase 80D will hold up quite well to the Leica 70 ;-), No need for the new 80D LS

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't think so either but hey no one believes these lenses even exist never mind be good at anything.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, if you want to compare the 80D and Leica 70mm, don't forget to test at the near limit, and test the corners wide open, in addition to the usual stuff. I would be surprised if there was not a noticeable difference, but let's see.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well The s2 will no doubt given the same F stop will have sharper corners because we are dealing with a smaller sensor and reason why I want a P40+ since the difference is only 8 percent sensor size. This gets a bit tricky since they are not identical. Question is will 8 percent size make a difference here. This is the closet size to the s2 any other back like a H50, P45,P65, H39 we throw in a curve ball. Most people are not even thinking about this situation.