The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Leica S2 System and Image Quality

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Have to agree , to me it is a nicer composition. Also agree once you shoot 4:3 it is really hard to go back. I shot 3:2 for a million years it seems and far less time at 4:3.

G

gdwhalen

Always prefered 3:1 myself.

In my opinion every shot needs it's own ratio unless the end use is project dictated by a client, but in those cases you ARE shooting to meet a pre-determined dimension standard and therefore you can organize the concept in your mind to meet those requirements. But when shooting, on my time, every shots finished dimension is dictated by the image, not the other way around.

gogopix

Subscriber
Boy, this thread is like the energizer bunny...

...just keeps going and going and going

wonder what will happen if the S2 gets released!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
What actually would happen if the S2 does finally not get released ????

I hope that will never happen :D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I think he meant if Leica doesn't release it, one decision option is removed and he can go ahead and purchase an MF outfit ;)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Okay I got two models for Jack and I to shoot on the 9th. One blonde and one brunette with excellent complexion for our test, also hair and makeup artist. Renting a studio for this and Jack is flying over . Also this is being paid for by US so that is our disclaimer on all of it. Just thought people should know this is out of our pockets to do this. BTW if any forum member wants to donate to our efforts you can certainly do that. Contact Jack for that info. We also have a a P40+ and new DF body being sent in from Capture Integration for our tests and that is the kindness from Dave and his crew to support our efforts.

I actually think it would only be fair if we act like a community and share the expenses (flight tickets and so on) for the test of the new Leica S system, and even in comparison with a P40+ and the new DF body. So many of us will benefit from having the test done.

Though it may very well be very interesting and also great fun to try out the system it is still a lot of hard work to plan the strategy and systematism, get to know the new system, do the tests, present the results in words and in a variety of uploaded file formats, and afterwards participate in the discussions about results and methods. Oh, and not forgetting: moderate nervous quarrels.
Easily a full time job for the rest of the year ;)

Personally I am, out of simple curiousity, looking very much forward to see what the GetDPI test will reveal.

So I have just made my contribution to help covering the expenses and the work by transferring an amount via PayPal to: jack-at-getdpi-dot-com (with the correct email notation of course).
Maybe others with interest in this new format and system would consider to do something similar. Of course in no way an obligation, just meant as an inspiration for the sake of fairness :)

All the best, Steen

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Steen,

Thank you very much for your generous contribution as it certainly will help offset costs we will incur for the test.

Much appreciated!

Guy Mancuso

Ditto Steen we really appreciate this. This is our test at our request and we want to provide a very good basis for comparison in the MF market.

David K

Workshop Member
Steen,

That's a lovely thought... it speaks well of you and of the kind of people this forum attracts. You've motivated me to follow your leader and I'll send a little something myself. I hope others follow your example as well. Heck, if it catches on maybe Jack and Guy will buy Leica (the company) and get things on the right track :)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Great David :thumbup: I do hope it catches on like you say ...
The S2 review is actually a really great effort and finally we have a lot of original RAW files to play with. I for one have been waiting for that.
Right now I'm processing some of the S2 and P40+ files with Raw Therapee.

David K

Workshop Member
Steen, I hope so too. The time and effort that Jack and Guy put into this forum have made it what it is... a great community with a shared passion for photography looking to learn and/or help others to learn. I've made my modest contribution... perhaps enough for one steak dinner and a couple of drinks. We need to keep their strength up so they can continue to spend enormous amounts of energy on our collective behalf :)

Guy Mancuso

You guy's rock. Thanks

Steen love to hear more on how the processing of the S2 files are coming out in RT. Maybe post on the review thread if you get a chance. Thanks