Site Sponsors

Thread: Why am I getting multiple whiskers?

Post Thanks / Like

Why am I getting multiple whiskers?

I am shooting a Contax 645 with P30+ shot at 35mm, f/8, 1/60 sec, ISO 800. Here is a resized full frame:

And here is a 100% crop of the whiskers. Why are there 3 distinct lines for each whisker? I understand that there may have been movement of the whiskers during the exposure, but I would expect to see just a blur instead. By the way, he really does have "bent" whiskers; it's his breed.
    Last edited by tom in mpls; 7th May 2012 at 19:28.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why am I getting multiple whiskers?

Tom,
    Just offhand, I would say that looks like motion blur on the whiskers. At your shutter speed, that would not be unlikely in this case. My reasoning for suggesting this, is that the "multiples" look more pronounced at the end of the one whisker you have highlighted, while there appears to be less motion closer to the cat's face on that same whisker. Just my first observation. Things like that do have more motion than we think, and your rig is clearly catching it.

LJ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say motion blur, combined with the translucent nature of the whiskers.

Oh, and awesome cat!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Tom,
    The only other thing that comes to mind with this motion blur is what the bit-depth settings may be. In other words, the more distinct lines for the whiskers could be related to the number of exposures taken with the CCD to get a higher color bit depth. I am not sure how this is handled/resolved on these backs, but it might be a contributing factor.

LJ

P.S. One last thought....the P30+ and P21+ backs are the only ones that have microlenses. I am wondering if there was some sort of prismatic effect from how the microlens handled that bright line movement during the exposure. I am just fishing here, but do not know of other possible explanations on how you would get distinct lines of the whisker versus the smoother blur one might expect with motion. There have to be some separate, but very closely spaced exposure captures (bit depth idea), or some very distinct prismatic effect that delivers separate lines (microlens idea). There could be something else at work, but I am clueless as to what that might be.
    Last edited by LJL; 23rd March 2008 at 10:53.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom,
    I'll go with LJ and say motion blur. Simple to test, take another shot with lights and kick up the shutter speed.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Tom,
    I'll go with LJ and say motion blur. Simple to test, take another shot with lights and kick up the shutter speed.

David
    I'm certain it is motion blur. It came as a surprise to me that it appears as rather distinct lines rather than a "smear".

Post Thanks / Like

I've long since stopped worrying about the optics (and I am a trained physicist!) and just acknowledge that artifacts come in.
    Ever close you eyes after and see a residual image? Note is doesnt 'smear'
    well the man is good at processing out in the brain. Not so dsensors; there is the bayer matrix, scanning overlap, sharpening algorithms etc. Note that the 'non vibrating whisker at top also has '3 lines'

It likely can be explained, but the bottom line is that it is not a problem

as tyhe doc says, when you say "Ity hurts when I xxx..."
    he says
    "Don't XXX...!

Tell the cat not to shake its whiskers the next time you want a portrait!

Regards
    Victor

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't worry me, but it does pique my curiosity.

BTW it is easily visible on the print as well.

I will ask Joey to sit more quietly next time, I'm sure he will be cooperative!

Post Thanks / Like

"...A cat has about twenty-four movable whiskers, twelve on each side of its nose (some cat's may have more). Whiskers are more than twice as thick as ordinary hairs, and their roots are set three times deeper than hairs in a cat's tissue. Richly supplied with nerve endings, whiskers give cats extraordinarily detailed information about air movements, air pressure and anything they touch.

The scientific word for whiskers is vibrissae, a name that suggests their exquisite sensitivity to vibrations in air currents. As air swirls and eddies around objects, whiskers vibrate too. Cats use messages in these vibrations to sense the presence, size, and shape of obstacles without seeing or touching them. Whiskers are also good hunting tools. A cat whose whiskers have been damaged may bite the wrong part of a mouse it's attacking, indicating that signals from these delicate structures provide cats with vital information about the shape and activity of its prey - interestingly, whiskers also help cats smell odours..."

Looks like you are looking into the structure. The center may actually be a cavity with nerves

Victor

Ps have you seen this site

http://www.catswhiskersphotography.co.uk/shape.htm

Post Thanks / Like

All very interesting, but it still does not explain why the image shows the distinct recording of the vibration or whatever the cat is doing. That motion has been captured by the sensor. Is it from multiple exposures by the CCD for color bit depth? Is it diffraction of some sort? (Looks too distinct for that.) Is it the result of something with the microlenses? I did not think these sensors had much in the way of AA filters, so could it just be refraction/reflection off the cover glass? Why not the entire wisker? Whatever is going on, it was caught three times within the 1/60s exposure, and it is most visible at the distal end of the whisker that would have the most movement.

Would be nice to know what has caused this.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom: a possibility... Maybe some fluorescent lights were on nearby which often cycle faster than normal hhld current? The best are up around 20K Hz, so they wouldn't strobe the moving whiskers into three over 1/60th sec, but lesser ones fire at more like 120 or 240 and might cause this very effect... (A white Ott style viewing light also strobes faster than hhld...)
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

jack, i would agree except it really looks like natural light coming from a large glass patio door or something. check the catchlights. i am inclined to think that this is motion blur caused by natural vibration of whiskers.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it's motion combined with double-line bokeh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    double-line bokeh with a 35mm distagon? not possible besides, whiskers are in the plane of focus.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is that not possible?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Tom: a possibility... Maybe some fluorescent lights were on nearby which often cycle faster than normal hhld current? The best are up around 20K Hz, so they wouldn't strobe the moving whiskers into three over 1/60th sec, but lesser ones fire at more like 120 or 240 and might cause this very effect... (A white Ott style viewing light also strobes faster than hhld...)
    Excellent suggestion, Jack, but this was natural light from the window as irakly correctly noted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why is that not possible?
    because this lens never does anything of this kind. i use it almost every day.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irakly View Post
    because this lens never does anything of this kind. i use it almost every day.
    So it's a lens that renders everything in focus, all the time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

maggie, please

Post Thanks / Like

Maggie, I don't know what double line bokeh is, but in this case it would need to be triple line bokeh. I see three distinct images of each whisker.

Post Thanks / Like

anything that vibrates with sinusoudal motion will spend more time at the ends. Ever look at a vibrating object? You actually SEE the object, though slightly blurred at each end. It travels faster between ends.

The fluorescent idea not bad, but I dont see any fluorescent lights.

it is simple motion blur. Since the perisisence of vision is about 1/20 to 1/40 the human eye actually integrates like a camera. or vise versa!

What you are seeing is the whisker- at the two ends of its vibration path, as recorded by the camera.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    What you are seeing is the whisker- at the two ends of its vibration path, as recorded by the camera.
    Victor, the sinusoidal curve idea has some appeal, but again I must ask why I see 3 distinct images of each whisker, not 2.

thsinar

Could you upload a crop of the entire head?

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    Victor, the sinusoidal curve idea has some appeal, but again I must ask why I see 3 distinct images of each whisker, not 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    The whisker has a brighter edge. It is just vibrating about a distance of twice the thickness. you are not seeing three, just the two at the ends of the vibration. Other whiskers seem to have three bright bands even when they ARE in focus. Could be just they are semi transparent . Look at a transparent strw from the side and it will look similar.

notice other things, like it is widest at the ends of the whisker. The inner part isnt vibrating or it is less

trying to explain all the artifacts will drive you crazy.

1. Whiskers vibrate
    2. When they do, you see them at the extremes
    3. you see them at the extremes

QED

wiggle a pencil in your hand-it will look just like the whisker.

BTW, the whisker is pointed at the ends (observe a few) and also is flat (notice a few that twist-some seen edge on others side. So if they are semitransparent, a little flat (or have some other non round cross section) and taper to a point there will be different manifestations

just as seen.

Also if that is a 100% crop on my screen (30'' 2650x1600) there are 10's of pixels across this feature. It will not be a bayer matrix or SW artifact. Gotta look at the optics.
    Last edited by gogopix; 16th April 2008 at 06:23.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thsinar View Post

Thierry
    Mine? his? or the cat's?

thsinar

the 3, since they are 3 visible whiskers!

Thierry

Mine? his? or the cat's?

Post Thanks / Like

the 3, since they are 3 visible whiskers!

Thierry
    Touche'

Post Thanks / Like

http://education.vetmed.vt.edu/Curri...ab15/Lab15.htm

more than ANYBODY wanted to know about animal whiskers!

Note in the image that the hairs have just the features shown, that is, they have a hollow look and appear to have structure. These are likely the things seen

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irakly View Post
    maggie, please
    What?

I honestly don't know how you could say a lens never does OOF bokeh. You've given me two, somewhat snotty, non-answers to a sincere question. If you think conversing with me is beneath you, at least have the dignity to just not reply, instead of being condescending and obtuse.

I'll stay out of the MF forum, as stupid 35mm shooters like me are obviously not wanted. Or is it that I'm female?

Sorry for posting here. I'll leave now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

maggie, i never said that this lens does not have oof bokeh. i said that it never produces a double image when defocused. these lenses just do not do that. and that's why (partly) they are so wanted. it is just your questions sounded like you were pulling my leg
    90% of my students are female, and i've always said that on average women make much better photographers than men.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, guys and gals! Can we call a truce and get back to the puzzle of the multiple whiskers? Although not the biggest issue in photography today, I think my whisker pic has posed a fun problem for us to consider.

Post Thanks / Like

I am with you on this, Tom. There are some things that I would really like to understand about what may, or may not be happening here. We can all agree to motion in the whisker, but few explanations seem to cover the multiple line part.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

the multiple lines ar just the hair structure being seen since it is semi transparent. Look at any transparent vs solid tube and you will seen similar features.
    or..

the cat is really..

an ALIEN!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

the multiple lines ar just the hair structure being seen since it is semi transparent. Look at any transparent vs solid tube and you will seen similar features.
    or..
    Victor,
    That seems plausible for the main body of the whisker that is showing less movement, but it really does not seem to explain that distal end part having three very distinct terminus lines. Maybe there is some optical illusion (or optical contusion more likely) that is taking place. The transparency issue/illuminated tube does not seem to hold up there, unless the end of the whisker is bent back on itself or in some way that we cannot see. Still seems a bit odd to me, and why I had originally postulated both multiple shots for increased color bit depth, and a possible microlens shift issue....both of which could apply to this particular back. That did not seem to resonate with any of the experts here.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

WINNER of the wackiest thread title anywhere on the Internet.

Post Thanks / Like

folowed of course by the dullest, sanest, academic scientific discussion.

:sleep006:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BJNY View Post
    WINNER of the wackiest thread title anywhere on the Internet.
    Thank you. I took some time trying to come up with an intriguing and amusing, yet relevant and succint, title with the hope that people would say, "gotta look at this one, what the heck does it mean?"

Post Thanks / Like

And you have two pages of discussion so far (1.5 if we exclude the sidebars), but still no definitive answer......

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

tom, this is really easy. feline whiskers oscillate. there is a middle point where they stop and two extremums where they change direction. that's exactly what you caught. i don't remember exact biology of it since it was a long time ago, but this is what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Thierry
    here's the link:
    http://www.pbase.com/sparkytom/image/95738337.original

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually Maggie could be correct when she refers to double-line bokeh. This is looking pretty bad too: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...ed=1#post21286
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."