The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tripods again - Gitzo System

carstenw

So, there is nothing like this strap included with Gitzos? I find that sad, this strap is really handy. Note how the bottom is a garotte which stretches over the feet. The top screws into a dedicated threaded hole. It does slowly work its way loose, but this takes so long that I just finger-tighten it once every two weeks or so.

View attachment 24733

Last edited:

carstenw

Thanks Dale, I'll have to browse around a bit and find something I like. The dual garotte might work well, since I can just leave the top on at all times, and let the bottom dangle when in use.

I am leaning towards the 3541XLS, I must admit. I have thought of a 2-series, but with the almost certainty of a 210mm in my future, and the possibility of a 350mm, I feel safer with the 3541. The 5561SGT is really neat, but almost twice the weight, and the difference is most useful in a scenario I don't currently find myself in.

I still have a little time to mull it over though :)

Dale Allyn

Carsten, one good thing about the OpTech strap is that my wife likes it. :) She's always willing to schlep the tripod, though I seldom take her up on it. When I have the strap along I feel less guilty in doing so. :D

As mentioned above, I have a more compact Benro, as well as a Gitzo AL Explorer, but since adding the 3541XLS I've not taken the others out. I use them indoors to hold lights, etc. and occasionally for reflectors outdoors. I brought the Benro back from Bangkok (again) recently because I felt I might like it for some longer hikes, but so far I keep reaching for the 3541. I love the height, and also as mentioned, my hikes are not major expeditions.

I suggest that you consider the collapsed length so that it doesn't catch you off-guard. It's fine for me, but one might feel it a bit longish when collapsed.

carstenw

It is admittedly a bit long (about 10cm more than my 055C), but I don't see any way around that. I want a tall tripod, having been caught out twice recently without enough length in mine. I will remove the leveling head, for a bit less total length ;) I find myself not using it as much as I thought I would.

About the weight, I think that 2kg is low enough that I would carry it just about anywhere. The rest of my equipment weighs much more.

Aaron

Obviously theres no faulting the build quality of the Gitzo system, but i absolutely hate the leg locking mechanism- those damned twisting collett locks, they never seem to want to go the right way, hate them with a passion, may be its just me but if manfrotto had a tripod as solid which used their lever locks i would buy it in a second!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Aaron, that problem was solved to an almost non-existent degree several years back when Gitzo went to the anti-twist leg system. It is very easy to unlock and lock legs now.

Aaron

Aaron, that problem was solved to an almost non-existent degree several years back when Gitzo went to the anti-twist leg system. It is very easy to unlock and lock legs now.
Thanks Jack, i missed that news!
So my problem now is how to 'sabotage' my current ones so i can justify picking up a new one. They're fairly indestructable but my one year old is currently using my studex as wigwam so it could become a permant structure in his play room:D

Hi there!

I'm looking for a new tripod and just wondered if the GT3541XLS is still a good option.
(40MP | 645DF | 28 - 300mm)

Jack: You still like the GT3541XLS most or do you have a new favorite now?:)

Thanks,

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I do like the GT3541XLS a lot and use it regularly. That would be my recommendation unless you need really heavy support.
-bob

I do like the GT3541XLS a lot and use it regularly. That would be my recommendation unless you need really heavy support.
-bob
Well, my biggest lens would be the Mamiya 300mm 2.8 APO. So the GT3541XLS shoud go with that.

Thanks for your help!

claudefiddler

Hi All

This is my first post. I really enjoy the Get DPI forum!

I used a Gitzo Recorder for many years, since 1983, along with an Arca Swiss ballhead, and Linhof IV. This was the only camera and tripod I've used since then. This tripod never died but as I'm now entering the realm of digital MFD I decided to search for a lighter replacement. I did look seriously at a new Gitzo until Really Right Stuff announced their new Versa tripods.

I just purchased the Really Right Stuff Versa 23 after a ton of research. It is absolutely perfect from my point of view. It's light, sturdy, has the right (and adjustable) leg angle, weight hook, easy to turn locks, positive lock, and bombproof in all conditions and terrain.

I do pound the lights out of my equipment. 1979 winter ski of the John Muir Trail, 1983 climb of the West Ridge of Mount Everest to 27,500 feet without supplemental oxygen, 2008 first ascent of east face Mount Isto and first descent of the Jago River , Brooks Range of AK, etc.

Sorry for the brag, but I do need absolute equipment reliability. Fedx isn't coming out with a spare battery, or replacement tripod leg one hundred miles out in the Alaska bush. My Gitzo did sort of fail in Alaska with two legs that would not retract due to stuck leg locks. I tried to get them unstuck with a small pair of channel locks but the squeeze started to buckle the tripod legs. I stopped. The stuck legs weren't too big deal, but were a pain to fit into the inflattable, i.e.do not puncture, two person boat.

The hiking thing with a tripod has come up and I don't know how any one carries a tripod with a sling, or bag, or in their hands. In my book, any walking other than on pavement requires that you put your gear/tripod into a backpack. I never was into the specialty camera packs. That just meant another piece of gear and more weight added to my already over sized load. I always carry my gear in my backpack. At one time I didn't use a camera bag. I just swaddled the 4x5 in a sweater, changed film at night in the sleeping bag, only brought three film holders, one lens, used my jacket for a dark cloth. My pack still weighed 85 pounds with climbing gear, food and other equipment.

That all being said I strapped my tripod on the outside of the backpack. Still do, always will. I can use my hands to scramble, stop a fall, check the time, and most importantly look around more comfortably. I also need a day pack at least for food, water, spare clothes, map, headlamp..... Using a back pack also meant that the four leg, more collapsable version of tripods wasn't a consideration or necessity.

The lighter GT Recorder was never an issue with the 4x5. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the center post of the GT, ran a sling through the hole, clipped my back back to the sling and piled rocks on the pack for ballast. My camera never moved. The one time that I didn't use this method to stabilize the tripod the Linhof blew over 60 miles from nowhere, broke the ground glass and arms that held the assembly to the camera back. I used duct tape to paste the glass together and taped the fix to the camera back to make pictures for the rest of the trip. It worked.

So to the tripod question. As with all equipment decisions, decide what your end is. The what, why and where of what it is you're trying to accomplish. Then buy the means
(who cares what it costs, we're photographers) that get you to that end.

Claude Fiddler
www.wildernesslight.com