The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

If you had to buy...

djonesii

Workshop Member
I have bought ....twice in fact .....

With the limited amount of this kind of shooting that I do, I choose one of the Fuji fixed lens medium format cameras, and horror of horror film ..... When properly scanned, slide film has very good IQ.

You can choose your format, 645,6x7,6x8,6x9. You can have AF and zoom in the 645 versions. I have used a Fuji GA645i, and a GA645ZI, and they are excellent. You can also choose lens versions from wide to normal in fixed, or with the ZI, wide to slight tele.

I do only have a Nikon D300 but even with my lowely Epson V700, I get excellent images when compared tot he Nikon.

Light, cheap, and rudged, perfect for dragging along!

YMMV

Dave

Don Libby

I just found this thread so I guess it shows I've been away for too long.

Shelby - here's my take on your original question taking in account you want a kit that will work with film today and digital when you turn 75. And this is from (somewhat) personal experience...

You may want to consider the Cambo WDS. Why? It allows for growth into digital. And yes I know other kits will do the same however I can only speak from my experience with the Cambo line. The WDS allows you the freedom of using film backs as well as digital and offers great movements.

One lens for landscape? I'd say you have a choice of either a 35mm or 47mm. Either lens will give you a large enough image circle for movements as well as limited reach. You might also want to consider a 72 for the same reason. I have Schneider lenses; 24mm, 35mm, 72mm, and a 120mm. I'm also considering a 47mm.

A viewfinder might be okay however it can be costly and a PIA much the same as a groundglass (which I have and use). While I don't have a Cambo viewfinder I do have a director's viewfinder which I just pickup and it does look promising.

WDS kits are available out there and they are cheap so you should consider looking at them with the idea of future growth in mind.

What ever you decide on buy smart and buy once otherwise....

Again sorry for the delay in adding my 2¢ worth.

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My newest, most wanted chunk of gear: Cambo WRS with new Rodenstock Digiron HR 40mm in the Cambo TS mount, with a P65+ out back :D. Next addition would be the 70 HR Digiron in TS mount -- and I could be very happy with just that kit. Though possibly a 120 would be a consideration later.

Don Libby

Tempting Jack.

I'm more tempted to a 47 TS than the P65 then again I can better afford the 47.

I did a vignetting test of my Schneider 120 for Chris and was able to go out to 20 x25mm shift and raise without encountering problems.

Then again that P65 looks awful good.

Ultimate gear slut - Pick up the P65 and have my P45 converted to IR :D

Don

Now if I can only get NatGeo to call me to do a shoot....

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
One big advantage to the P65+ over the P45+ on a tech camera -- more accurately the Dalsa sensor over the Kodak sensor -- is Dalsa is more tolerant of lens movements than Kodak, requiring less LCC correction. This is one main reason I just sprung for the upgrade deal...

S

Shelby Lewis

ok guys, you all are talking wwaaaayyyyyy outside my budget, but please keep on talking. Functionally, I'm a minimalist... but inwardly I'm a total gear slut, lol.

One thing I didn't mention is that I am keeping my 5dmkii kit (of course). I get ok results with it. This possible purchase is one that I want build upon later on... thus the single lens to begin with.

l'll look into the wds. As it stands I think I'm looking at the 47 as a starter.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
One big advantage to the P65+ over the P45+ on a tech camera -- more accurately the Dalsa sensor over the Kodak sensor -- is Dalsa is more tolerant of lens movements than Kodak, requiring less LCC correction. This is one main reason I just sprung for the upgrade deal...
Jack

Congratulations on that!

Might go next year for the H4D 60 upgrade, which is actually the same sensor.

One question - why do you prefer Rodenstock lenses, here in Europe the thinking is that Schneider glass is better. I personally have absolutely no idea nor preference but am interested as I might go a similar tech camera path with the Cambo WRS.

carstenw

Erm, in my part of Europe *cough* the Schneiders and Rodenstocks are both meant to be excellent, the newer Rodenstocks should be be sharper from wide open, whereas the Schneiders need stopping down a little, as a rule of thumb.

PeterA

ok guys, you all are talking wwaaaayyyyyy outside my budget, but please keep on talking. Functionally, I'm a minimalist... but inwardly I'm a total gear slut, lol.

One thing I didn't mention is that I am keeping my 5dmkii kit (of course). I get ok results with it. This possible purchase is one that I want build upon later on... thus the single lens to begin with.

l'll look into the wds. As it stands I think I'm looking at the 47 as a starter.
The Canon with one of their new tilt shift lenses is quite capable of delivering outstanding results at a fraction of teh price ofthe stuff the guys are quoting. Also the added advantage of live view

Check out this dude who uses a 35mm set-up...

www.chrisfriel.co.uk

How about a nice xPan. ;-)

carstenw

The X-Pan is very cool, and I almost decided to buy a nice one at a good price, but in the end, I decided against it and will order a 50/2.8 FE and 250/4 FE.

Marc, in case you are reading, I have switched my choice back; I want to know what this lens is like, and the 180 I was considering can wait until I decide I need one, and then I will get the CFE180. The extra reach, and the promise of a nice look to this lens, as opposed to the unusual sharpness of the 180 were what tipped the scales. I also saw more favorable comments on the 250/4 on hasselbladinfo, which helped me get over my fear here :)

vieri

Erm, in my part of Europe *cough* the Schneiders and Rodenstocks are both meant to be excellent, the newer Rodenstocks should be be sharper from wide open, whereas the Schneiders need stopping down a little, as a rule of thumb.
Another difference is, when considering ultra-wides, in the image coverage vs lens size; Schneider lenses are generally much smaller & lighter, but do cover a smaller image circle - Rodenstock 23 vs Schneider 24 mm, Rodenstock 28 vs Schneider 35 mm, Rodenstock 50 mm vs Schneider 47 mm are good examples of this.

Also, Rodenstocks are generally slightly faster than Schneiders; last, while Schneiders are generally very consistent quality-wise, the last Rodenstock seem to suffer of a bit of QC problems when it comes to element alignment/misalignment. You can find reports on this on the net, on my part I can add that I had a Rodenstock 50 mm to try and, while very sharp WO overall and with a very high IQ, it was affected by a soft lower right corner.

At the end, comparing features & for my needing, and because I am not set on getting all lenses from the same manufacturer, I ended up with:
- 28 Rodenstock (image coverage is very much necessary for me for camera movements, I can sacrifice portability here);
- 47 Schneider;
- 90 Schneider;

Still waiting on the first two, which I will get at the end of next week; the 90 is a great optic as far as I could see so far.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
One question - why do you prefer Rodenstock lenses, here in Europe the thinking is that Schneider glass is better.
When doing LF-style lens comparisons a lot depends on the series, so you need to pay attention to that... I would agree that the Schneider Digitar line is generally better than the Rodenstock Digital series. However, the newest Rodenstock Digiron HR line, are phenomenal performers. Most of the Digiron HR "S" series have smaller IC's than their Schneider counterparts, however the HR "W" series -- like the 40 and 70 I mentioned above -- have large image circles, as does the 23 compared to the 24 Schneider for example.

Note that image circle is not only important as it respects ability to shift, but also as it respects ability to tilt, and especially as it respects the ability to both at the same time...

Don Libby

I like the Schneider lenses I have and choose them over the Rodenstock due to their apparent better quality. That said Rodenstock offers some very good lenses and would certainly consider them if they offered a 47 T/S

Don

T

tetsrfun

I decided against it and will order a 50/2.8 FE and 250/4 FE.
The 50/2.8 FE is also good for improving physical fitness...it weighs ~1330 gms. :>)

Steve

S

Shelby Lewis

The Canon with one of their new tilt shift lenses is quite capable of delivering outstanding results at a fraction of teh price ofthe stuff the guys are quoting. Also the added advantage of live view

Check out this dude who uses a 35mm set-up...

www.chrisfriel.co.uk
This is something I struggle with. I think I mentioned in another thread how I really haven't cared for the 5dii as a people camera... but I'm really liking what I see from a landscape perspective. Live view is incredibly helpful for me... so, yeah, i do keep the idea of staying all canon in the back of my head.

Have you seen this guy? His long exposure work is very similar to what I have in mind and he shoots a 5dii... but i've only seen his work on the web. What i do worry about is printing really large. I'd like to. I'd bet the 5dii files will handle it pretty well... but I just don't have enough experience in landscape work to know. I do know they don't have much "bite", as pretty as they are.

Lastly... to get the quartet of canon t/s lenses (if you go with the two new ones) would set you back almost as much as a basic cambo kit and a used DB (p25 or similar).

I have to admit... this whole inquiry is also about the general look of the files from LF lenses/tech cameras. As with anything, we can argue about whether it's real or not, but I personally love the "look".

Tough call. Luckily, my pocketbook is willing to let me wait (as always :D)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
When doing LF-style lens comparisons a lot depends on the series, so you need to pay attention to that... I would agree that the Schneider Digitar line is generally better than the Rodenstock Digital series. However, the newest Rodenstock Digiron HR line, are phenomenal performers. Most of the Digiron HR "S" series have smaller IC's than their Schneider counterparts, however the HR "W" series -- like the 40 and 70 I mentioned above -- have large image circles, as does the 23 compared to the 24 Schneider for example.

Note that image circle is not only important as it respects ability to shift, but also as it respects ability to tilt, and especially as it respects the ability to both at the same time...
I like the Schneider lenses I have and choose them over the Rodenstock due to their apparent better quality. That said Rodenstock offers some very good lenses and would certainly consider them if they offered a 47 T/S

Don
I think you two need to meet in Tombstone and just have a shoot out.:D

Getting boring around here today. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Better explain that story to our international friends.
Tombstone Arizona is home to the well known shoot out at the Ok Corral back in 1881 . Very famous historical place and time plus several movies about it

http://www.ok-corral.com/

Don Libby

Sounds like fun! And just to make it easier on Jack – I’ll be returning to Yosemite late February we can meet there …

Of course we'll need Guy and Ken standing by as seconds :)