The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

645 DF

gsking

Krikey....1/1600 at ISO50. At Sunny 16, that's f/2.8 with full sync. No unusable apertures left on the dial.

B

bdeshazer

"Please note that the leaf shutter lenses will also work on older firmware-updated 645AF and 645AFDIII models, but without the 1/1600 top sync speed."

Hmm, that appears to be news or has this been reported/discussed in other threads and I've missed them?

T

tetsrfun

"Please note that the leaf shutter lenses will also work on older firmware-updated 645AF and 645AFDIII models, but without the 1/1600 top sync speed."

Hmm, that appears to be news or has this been reported/discussed in other threads and I've missed them?
Here is an explanation by Doug Peterson (CI) from the LL thread..

"Correct. The technologies employed by Canon and Phase to accomplish high sync speed are NOT the same. One is using a stroboscopic effect to create effectively continuous light during the entirety of the focal plane travel and the other is dealing with the timing of the sensor.

The upside of the Canon method is you can get down to the ludicrous 1/8000th speed. The downside of the Canon method is the ammount of flash power you're able to produce is extremely limited at 1/8000th and you can only use a select number of compatible flashes.

The upside of the Phase method is you can use FULL power of the strobe and you can use a variety of strobes. The downside of the Phase method is you're limited to "only" 1/1600 (though that's really way more than you need 99.9% of the time) and you must use a leaf shutter lens and a digital back engineered.

Of note of course is the fact that Phase's Schneider Leaf Shutter Lenses will sync at 1/800 with any digital back. Only the 1/1600 sync requires a 65+/40+.

Doug

gsking

Doug,

That explains basic HSS flash technology (also used on Nikon and Sony, btw).

I think he was referring to the ability to rejig older cameras for the leaf lenses.

Not that I'd be able to afford the lens, though...so I'll have to stick with 1/400 on my RZ. ;)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
It has always been the goal to make the LS lenses work on previous bodies - the only question/hurdle was technical. MR apparently either knows more than I do, or is willing to translate "we're working on it and are pretty sure it will work" into a statement of "will also work".

Until some member of my company has their hands on a working AFDIII/LS lens lens combo I will continue to state that it's a goal they are working on and feel pretty good about.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off

kdphotography

It has always been the goal to make the LS lenses work on previous bodies - the only question/hurdle was technical. MR apparently either knows more than I do, or is willing to translate "we're working on it and are pretty sure it will work" into a statement of "will also work".

Until some member of my company has their hands on a working AFDIII/LS lens lens combo I will continue to state that it's a goal they are working on and feel pretty good about.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
From the LL man himself:

I have a question, do i have to buy a PhaseOne DF camera to use the new LS lenses or can i use the new lenses with my "old" PhaseOne 645 camera?

From my review....

Your local Phase One dealer will be able to do the firmware upgrade for you.

And by the way, something that I forgot to mention in the review is that the new vertical grip (645DF only) will have a USB port, and will allow camera firmware upgrades in future by the user.

Michael

Nice to know if indeed true. Makes having an older body a nice back-up to the new 645DF. But I'll rely on Doug here and wait for his confirmation....

ken

p.s. You need to come out to California, Doug..... :)