The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax 210mm f/4 vs. Hasselblad FE 250mm f/4

carstenw

I ended up risking it all and getting the 250/4FE, as well as the 50/2.8FE. Added to my 110/2FE I have a nice threesome for my V-kit, and also three lenses which fill in gaps in my 35/80/120 Contax 645 lineup, so it all works together really well.

I haven't had the chance to shoot anything yet, since work is frantic and on the home-front we were all ill for a spell, but hopefully sometime soon this will work out. I have spent some time looking through the 2000FC/M with the 250/4 on it, and focusing at different distances, examining the out-of-focus-blur as well as I could, and I must admit that the lens appears to render very nicely.

The only flies in the ointment are that 1) it appears I am missing the front half of the two-piece hood for the 50/2.8, so I can't use filters as is, and 2) the lettering is coming off the otherwise really clean 250/4. What on earth was Hasselblad/Zeiss thinking when they went to silk-screened letters on lenses this expensive???

gogopix

Subscriber
carsten
I am curious why you got the FE, not just a 250 F or CF
are they not available? On the Contax I think they all behave the same no? I have avoided the CFE based on extra cost and was told the CFi were actually not as robust.
The 250 I think you will like. For really long reach you might want to consider the 2x Mutar (I do think you can mix FE and CF Mutar, yes?

Victor

fotografz

carsten
I am curious why you got the FE, not just a 250 F or CF
are they not available? On the Contax I think they all behave the same no? I have avoided the CFE based on extra cost and was told the CFi were actually not as robust.
The 250 I think you will like. For really long reach you might want to consider the 2x Mutar (I do think you can mix FE and CF Mutar, yes?

Victor
He said his goal is to eventually get a 203FE ... thus the FE.

CFEs (E data Bus contacts) are more valuable because they also auto index on the 200 series camera when set to F ... and the CFEs also auto index on the H camera when using the CF adapter ... the H camera instantly recognizes which lens is mounted ... where all others, including the CFis have to be manually programed in.

Just curious, who told you the CFi lenses were not as robust? CFs were made well but the sync port was prone to need replacement (been there, done that), and CFs are a bit more prone to flare ... both of which were addressed in the CFi and CFE versions with the newer sync port lock and better internal flare suppression ... along with some stronger springs and a better shade mount finish. I also noted that the focus grip material doesn't come loose on the CFi/CFE like a number of CFs did on me.

-Marc

gogopix

Subscriber
who told me? likely somebody on some forum.
Just 'rumor'
What I do remember is hints at 'cost saving' via more plastic? but hardly seems worth it.
the 'i' was supposed to be 'improved' vs 'E' for electronic. That makes sense in carsten's case.

all in all, I have had over a dozen V and 200 lenses and all seemed pretty fine. still have the 50mm F (from Graham actually) 100, 110 FE, 180, 250 and 350. latter SA
actually also the 30, 40 IF and 500/8

I'm in the market for a SAFE!:ROTFL:

M

martin

Hello, I just joined this forum and got very interested in the opinions on this thread...I use a 503cw and have had a Contax 645 system (with 210/4) which I sold off, and I'm still not sure why. I was a bit ambivalent about my 210/4. It made some very nice landscapes, but I was always looking for just a little more reach.
I wanted the 250sa but initially could only afford the 180/4 cfi. I now have a 250/5.6 sa cf for small landscape views and plan to sell the 180 because I don't need both. The sa has much more than mere sharpness, in my opinion...the 4-colour corrected lens also gives nicer out of focus areas, colour saturation and, dare I say it, 3d realism than all the others except the C120ApoMakro, but it is expensive, and must be used on a very solid support to maximise its potential. I guess for portraits you can always Softar it, and use a tube to bring its 3m minimum focus in a bit, although I don't do portraits much myself. Lastly I would add that practical comparisons often go further than mtf chart differences.
I haven't let go of my C120 Apo Makro yet, as some of its images are real beyond all others I have made (not meaning to wax lyrical, though). Officially, Zeiss confirms that it outperforms the 100 and 120 Hasselblad lenses at all distances. Because of this lens alone I am tossing up buying another Contax 645, with a Novoflex for other Blad lenses. One of my issues would be for its simplicity of use, especially close up and semi auto aperture priority exposure, but offsetting this, it is a dead system with now limited service backup, and sadly a reply I recently received from Zeiss said they are unlikely to find a camera maker willing to risk taking over the C645 production as it is too small a niche even in the medium format market.
I would be grateful to hear some other opinions on this as I'm quite happy with the 503 system, but keeping 2 systems is a bit extravagant for me, and I keep thinking, yeah, but what about that 120Apo?...

gogopix

Subscriber
Dear Martin

I actually like the cONTAX 645 better for the V lenses than the hasselblad - you get focus confirm and the AE isnt automatic but by changing the speed you can see directly the degree of under or over exposure

Neat!

Also for long lenses the 2sec delay for shutter acts like 'mirror up'

Victor

PS If you think the 250 SA is a great lens, you should try the 350mm SA!

fotografz

Dear Martin

I actually like the cONTAX 645 better for the V lenses than the hasselblad - you get focus confirm and the AE isnt automatic but by changing the speed you can see directly the degree of under or over exposure

Neat!

Also for long lenses the 2sec delay for shutter acts like 'mirror up'

Victor

PS If you think the 250 SA is a great lens, you should try the 350mm SA!

Not to mention flash metering in-camera and 1/4000th shutter with the C645 :thumbup:

Personally, I still prefer the 203FE for it's brighter viewfinder, and auto stop down aperture focusing and shooting. The C645 is okay if you shoot everything wide open. Focus Confirmation works okay on the C645 IF the aperture is wide open ... stop down some and it ain't so hot. ;)

Marc

gogopix

Subscriber
actually had a used version and returned, wasnt in good shape.
maybe-arsenal has one of the last new
can be had for $37,000

For real speed I have a 300mm f2Schneider with hassey mount made for military
no wTHAT is a fast lens (and 16 lbs )