The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New from Alpa

O

Optechs Digital

Dear Forum friends,

I thought some might be interested in these newly available items from Alpa.

First, the "PGS" ProGridScreen, is a new focus screen with 4mm grid etched in the glass. These grid markings are nicely visible but are very unobtrusive while trying to see your composition. But the main thing of note here is that the grain in this glass is almost non existent so critical focus with a loupe pops in and out of focus with no interference from a grainy glass. These are available as a complete kit with frame, GG and fresnel to fit any Alpa 12. Or the GG can be purchased separately for those that already have an older style Alpa GG kit.

Secondly, Alpa has improved on their ingenious zero to 6 degree Tilt and Swing adapter by doubling its range to 12 degrees ( or as some would say 24 degree. 2 directions X 12) . It works exactly as the original does with short barrel lenses of 80mm focal lengths and longer. These are available now.

These two new products along with the already announced LC software equals some pretty exciting times for old, new and future Alpa users all.

S

smei_ch

http://www.pdnonline.com/virtualtradeshow

An interesting opportunity to have a live chat today and tomorrow with the people from Alpa....
Somehow it doesn't surprise me that they are the only manufacturer in this segment doing this. It's called professional communication.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I would LOVE to have an ALPA tech camera and a few assorted lenses, but oh the prices!!! So it's going to have to be a "lowly" Cambo or Arca or Sinar for me... :ROTFL:

S

Shelby Lewis

I would LOVE to have an ALPA tech camera and a few assorted lenses, but oh the prices!!! So it's going to have to be a "lowly" Cambo or Arca or Sinar for me... :ROTFL:
I still think the 12 TC is a pretty affordable camera for the minimalist... but, yeah, once you get into the max and swa (and all the accessories), man the price moves up in a hurry!

The alpa tech cameras seem to be the "Mies" chairs of photography, lol. You can believe that so little can cost so much until you try them (which I haven't... at least with Alpa :D).

carstenw

Have you seen the 12TC without anything on it? It is a frame, nothing more. The most expensive hole in the world :) I think one of the Optechs movies shows it.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Paul - thanks for the info.
You can add to the list of new products the soon to be released new handgrip for the TC which could be a nice improvement. I feel the current TC handgrip does not feel as good or as balanced as the grip on the WA or SWA.

. . . but oh the prices!!!
That's what I kept saying to myself but I just wouldn't listen! :bugeyes:

Carsten - Yes, perhaps the most expensive hole in the world but very refined. :) One example: The interior edge has baffles which I guess are there to prevent stray light from bouncing around. You can't get that with any ordinary hole! So if you want a hole with baffles it'll cost you extra! :eek:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
A hole that does not allow light to escape?
Man, what is its mass?
-bob

nice gold plated cable release connectors, no really!

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
yeah baby! that's what I'm talking about... sssiiimmmpppllleee.....

LOL Shelby. Alpa's motto is: "Things are simple at the top"

The way you expressed it above does add some character to it - rolls off the tongue with more verve and flair!

O

Optechs Digital

Paul - thanks for the info.
You can add to the list of new products the soon to be released new handgrip for the TC which could be a nice improvement. I feel the current TC handgrip does not feel as good or as balanced as the grip on the WA or SWA.

Thanks CMB,

Here is a picture of the new grip. I think it looks fantastic. Should be available soon.... and thats how to build a better hole:)

Best,
Paul

View attachment 25419

carstenw

Don't get me wrong, that thing is pure sex (for Gary: camera), but the WRS is a bunch more attractive to me, for the T/S options, the handles, the price (!), and so on. For Alpa fans, note that "and", there is no "or" ;) It will be a while until I go in that direction, if ever, but the WRS would be the primary candidate (unless I won the lottery and could afford an arTec). There is a WRS in my local Calumet and it looks really really nice.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
SWA just dropped off my wish list...need a new grip for my TC!!!:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Don't get me wrong, that thing is pure sex (for Gary: camera), but the WRS is a bunch more attractive to me, for the T/S options, the handles, the price (!), and so on. For Alpa fans, note that "and", there is no "or" ;) It will be a while until I go in that direction, if ever, but the WRS would be the primary candidate (unless I won the lottery and could afford an arTec). There is a WRS in my local Calumet and it looks really really nice.
Carsten here is how I look at these tech cams personally . I have the system already with 28 through 150 at the moment, now I have the wrong back per say but not really, One reason to upgrade to the P40+ but anyway the real reason in my mind for any tech camera is WIDE ANGLE and wider than my 28mm. So if i ever go this route I want a 23mm but it's a 23mm do I really need to worry about tilt for DOF , heck I would just stop down to F16 and worst case do focus bracket. Now shift is a little different since i could be a higher angle and lower lens. But how much can you really shift a 23mm to make a big difference in look. Than you have a package to carry around along with all the other gear BUT a little TC with a 23mm on it and bam fits right in a lens section of your bag. Now this is Guy and what would be my idea of it plus a TC and one lens is not that bad price wise. To me this I would regard as cheating the real tech cam and it's prices. LOL

stephengilbert

And if you want to focus an ALPA, Kapture Group is developing a sliding back adapter that will allow mounting the back along with a (Maxwell) GG. Focus, then slide. It will also allow the back to be rotated from portrait to landscape without being removed. Keith at KG estimates two or three months for development of the adapter.

A similar product for use with view cameras is here: http://www.kapturegroup.com/phase/phase.html

Last edited:
S

smei_ch

And if you want to focus an ALPA, Kapture Group is developing a sliding back adapter that will allow mounting the back along with a (Maxwell) GG. Focus, then slide. It will also allow the back to be rotated from portrait to landscape without being removed. Keith at KG estimates two or three months for development of the adapter.

A similar product for use with view cameras is here: http://www.kapturegroup.com/phase/phase.html
After looking at my Alpas this sounds like a very bold statement. Seeing is believing. I'm curious about the outcome.

markowich

this is interesting. alpa has always refused to do so because they claim that their high standards for accuracy cannot be satisfied by sliding adapters.
i do recall a few years ago when i had a linhof...two weeks of work were ruined because the sliding adapter got somehow bent slightly.....
curious about the capture group adapter though. maybe this will force alpa to rethink...
peter

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I must say I am getting more and more impressed by the Alpa lineup, I must admit I did not check prices so far :eek: