Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Whats the new MF camera?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Whats the new MF camera?

Maybe better than having a tech cam.

Interesting
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Well about a year ago I sold all my camera gear and invested heavily in gold... on margin no less. Then I woke up

I'd call that nice dream a nightmare ... at least after waking up.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markowich View Post
    yes, yaya is right. my little birds tell me that MR is testing the Hartblei CAM. and it seems that he has extremely knowledgable support staff for the test---))))
    this for a change is interesting.
    peter
    confirmed. very interesting!
    peter

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Gentlemen - check out the Hartblei site - worth the effort...

http://www.hartblei.eu/en/hartbleicam1.htm
    What's the US $$$ for the hartblei cam. I've really found the concept compelling from the get-go... but @ 5K Euro (currently $7500 USD), it might prove to be a bit less of a bargain than it's advertised to be if the us price is just the euro price at current exchange rate.

The blue (sealed?) soft touch buttons crack me up (visually).

BUT.... it (possibly) solves a lot of problems for some photographer.... and all in a single package. Cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Gentlemen - check out the Hartblei site - worth the effort...

http://www.hartblei.eu/en/hartbleicam1.htm
    well, I have a similar device, with Leica R mount and P65!
    called "Truewide"
    except limited to 1/125
    can get an image like this from 200 ft away (sorry forgot to convert color for web) with Modular 800mm Leica "R" and the P65 MPs

:-)

Victor
    Last edited by gogopix; 25th January 2015 at 17:23.

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking at the Hartblei supposed to have ALL mounts, back and lens (incl Leica R)
    also 1/8000 electronic shutter
    not sure will synch with the Phase though
    the truewde is fine, but R lenses vignette (duh!)

Victor

PS The BIG issue is stability
    Notice I nhave virtually an 'optical bench' with RRS 28" long camera bar
    Last edited by gogopix; 25th January 2015 at 17:23.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope you have Leica glass in your window
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    I hope you have Leica glass in your window
    well, if the light rays can get through the lens cap, I don't sweat the window glass!

Actually, WIND is another issue, (and we are appraoching winter here!)
    so window stays closed till something is in field.

I haven't tested, but in general with 800mm lens not likely to get much degradation from 1/8'' glass
    the DIRT is another story (this is our 4th fl attic; my prowling grounds.)

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Peter. That is a very interesting idea and design. If it really works as advertised --- quite brilliant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    Peter. That is a very interesting idea and design. If it really works as advertised --- quite brilliant.
    At first, I dismissed the HartCam - it just seemed clunky, ugly, expensive, and you could shoot a digital back with Hassy V lenses. Oh what fun. But then I realized many of the 35mm lenses, apparently including the 17mm Canon T/S, as well as the Superrotators, have large enough image circles to work with many digital backs. That changes things, and provides some additional options, especially for landscape, architectural shooters. I'd like to see it about $3,000 less expensive, but....

Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica 19mm R lens comes to mind. Nice lens
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

if it's the Hartblei, it isnt' a real news...

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...light=hartblei

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Allyn View Post
    This always seemed to me to be the logical way to sell a ton (relatively speaking) arTecs, i.e. provide a Mamiya mount, or at least contribute to the path. As Peter suggests, it's now even more logical for Sinar to offer the arTec in as many mounts as possible.
    Yes, I contacted Sinar about the future possibility of a Contax mount for the arTec and was told with Swiss certainty that since Contax hadn't been manufactured for years that there would not be a mount created. I would have purchased an arTec in a heartbeat, but as it stands now it seems that the P2 that I bought in 1989 will be the last new Sinar piece I ever purchase.

As for Arca Swiss, they seem to have that mystical "almost available" image; no real web site, spotty availability, accessories that may some day arrive, at least in the States. The sightings seem to be so seldom that it might be considered a 'holy grail' piece of equipment (didn't Dan Brown tie in Arca Swiss to some part of the puzzle in one of his books ....... )

tetsrfun

you could shoot a digital back with Hassy V lenses. Oh what fun.
    I think shooting a 110 f/2 FE with a digital back is fun.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    At first, I dismissed the HartCam - it just seemed clunky, ugly, expensive, and you could shoot a digital back with Hassy V lenses. Oh what fun. But then I realized many of the 35mm lenses, apparently including the 17mm Canon T/S, as well as the Superrotators, have large enough image circles to work with many digital backs. That changes things, and provides some additional options, especially for landscape, architectural shooters. I'd like to see it about $3,000 less expensive, but....

Steve Hendrix
    And as the EOS protocol is supported, you can control aperture and shutter speed from the body (or a remote maybe)

We're supposed to have one for demos next week at Peartree's Manchester open day next Thursday, we'll try to get some Canon lenses as well...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tetsrfun View Post
    you could shoot a digital back with Hassy V lenses. Oh what fun.
    I think shooting a 110 f/2 FE with a digital back is fun.

Steve

Oh I agree! But if that was all the HarCam could offer, I don't know that it would be the best camera to do that with.

Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I feel like tossing 'em all out and starting again - probably with Phase just waiting on Sinar to deliver alternative mounts on an artec ( H mount & Phase) - which is the piece of kit I am really wanting.
    Peter you should check again with Sinar...

That's a Mamiya/ Phase mount. I can give you the contacts of the Spanish Sinar & Leaf dealer who sells them.

Yair

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post

Steve Hendrix
    Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    Actually the concept has been around for years-just not picked up. Keith at Kapture Group said my Leica "R" was the first he EVER did. (and it was a 2 cam! he had to redo with a real R mount from an adapter!)

The limit in the concept is the shutter. You can alway measure and mill aluminum for a 'dumb' interface between any lens and any back, including film as long as you get the registration correct. With a "camera" (like the ALPA) that is just a $2,000 piece of 1/4" aluminum that's all you need

... except a shutter
    the COPAL shutters of any size are limited to 1/125 s speed. Not good for long lenses. If they really CAN get a 1/8000 or even a 1/1000s shutter to work with a back, that alone is worth $5k.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you can live without autofocus this looks really exciting!

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post

That's a Mamiya/ Phase mount. I can give you the contacts of the Spanish Sinar & Leaf dealer who sells them.
    Okay, I'm paying attention now...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know you were interested in the arTec, Jack. I think it is a really neat camera which solves a very specific problem very well. Ironically, Rainer Viertlböck, who designed it with Sinar, is using Canon more and more, according to posts on LL.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

I admire Stefan but that Hartblei is a solution that was needed 10 years ago when I was looking for something to put my 3020 on.
    I don't know why Michael is saying it will "knock your socks off"...

Nick-T

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the soap opera that has been the Hartblei story for the last few years, I have no idea why anyone is getting excited in advance. A lot of hype and little real. Some of their lenses turned out much more expensive but no better than their classic stuff, and it seems that nothing much is getting delivered. I recall getting into a discussion with Stefan once about the lenses, and he ranted a lot but gave no real answers.

The 40IF is a very sharp lens, but it is only a 40. They really need wider lenses. There is also some distortion to correct, but I am not aware of any Hartblei software, so you are on your own there, unless that situation changed.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter you should check again with Sinar...

Yair
    Thanks Yair - very interesting.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-T View Post
    I admire Stefan but that Hartblei is a solution that was needed 10 years ago when I was looking for something to put my 3020 on.
    I don't know why Michael is saying it will "knock your socks off"...

Nick-T
    well, if they really cmeras do thisan do MF FP shutter at 1/4000 (of course OTHER cameras do this) that IS a big deal. All other systems have copal/schneider shutters with 1/125 or 1/500 MAX speed (and latter only for small aperture lenses)

everything else is just milled alumoinum.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    well, if they really cmeras do thisan do MF FP shutter at 1/4000 (of course OTHER cameras do this) that IS a big deal. All other systems have copal/schneider shutters with 1/125 or 1/500 MAX speed (and latter only for small aperture lenses)

everything else is just milled alumoinum.

Victor
    It's got a Mamiya shutter similar to the one in the 645DF (1/4000) and an EOS mount that can actually talk to the EOS lens for changing aperture.
    It is also planned to have the full Mamiya interface to sync with the back. At the moment you still have to use a sync cable.

I'll try to get some shots with it next week, with an Aptus-II 10 and the Canon TS/E lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

It's got a Mamiya shutter similar to the one in the 645DF (1/4000) and an EOS mount that can actually talk to the EOS lens for changing aperture.
    It is also planned to have the full Mamiya interface to sync with the back. At the moment you still have to use a sync cable.

I'll try to get some shots with it next week, with an Aptus-II 10 and the Canon TS/E lenses.
    well
    if they caould talk to the Contax 645 AF lenses THAT would really be a WWOOOOOWWWW!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well Hartblei I think is often underrated quite alot. Their three TSE lenses for DSLRs are better than anything out there. Nothing from Nikon or Canon comes even close. I have the 85 and it is just amazing how sharp it is.

When it comes to the Hartblei cam, well I don't really know much. I am more interested in an arctec, I would certainly love to try one once I'm back in Germany. (Only in Phase/Mam. mount)

Post Thanks / Like

there is a difference in Hartblei 35mm DSLR vs MF. The former I believe were made in a coop with Zeiss and used Zeiss designed glass, whereas the MF 45mm super-rotator was Hartblei. I have it and mine is quite sharp from their main plant (Czech?), but others have said those from the Arsenal factory were not so good.

victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thats's why I noted DSLR. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The DSLR lenses use V-Series Zeiss glass

Post Thanks / Like

Is the HartCam similar to something that was shown many years ago by Jenoptik and also the Kapture Group as mentioned by Victor? I recall seeing that product at the Photo Plus Expo. I think that Horseman has a similar product too? These type of digital cameras are more suited for studio work and not so much for portability for outdoor use. Not to imply that it can't be used, but I could imagine the setup required!

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Evanjoe610 View Post
    Is the HartCam similar to something that was shown many years ago by Jenoptik and also the Kapture Group as mentioned by Victor? I recall seeing that product at the Photo Plus Expo. I think that Horseman has a similar product too? These type of digital cameras are more suited for studio work and not so much for portability for outdoor use. Not to imply that it can't be used, but I could imagine the setup required!

Evan
    The nearest thing to the Hartblei I would say was the Sinarcam (I, II and III) that allowed you to use Nikon or Hasselblad V lenses with a built-in LCD shutter (for Live View) but that was a studio only camera, with power supply, cables etc.

The Hartblei works off of One Sony battery so in terms of "setup" it is no that different to any other medium or large format solution.

Yair

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    Ironically, Rainer Viertlböck, who designed it with Sinar, is using Canon more and more, according to posts on LL.
    Interesting Carsten, I did not know that and am surprised to hear he's moved to Canon. I always thought Rainer's images were excellent, top of the heap architecture and that step seems strange. As you know I also shoot with a Canon 1Ds3, and while it's certainly a very good camera, it leaves a lot off the plate when compared head-to-head with my Phase files. The new Canon 17 and 24 TS lenses are certainly compelling, but the net file differences remain significant IMHO...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Yair,

Thank you for the explanation. What is Kodak's outlook on the future of the professional flatbed scanners? I'm using a Jazz+ and also an Eversmart Pro II. Will there still be future software development for the Supreme & IQSmart scanners?

Thanks in advance,

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yair,

Thank you for the explanation. What is Kodak's outlook on the future of the professional flatbed scanners? I'm using a Jazz+ and also an Eversmart Pro II. Will there still be future software development for the Supreme & IQSmart scanners?

Thanks in advance,

Evan
    You need to ask the Kodak GCG people in your country:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yelpxq5

Yair

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Red (a guess)
    As a Registered REDUSER and owner of two R1's and been considered as early Beta testers for the new RED EPIC (TATOO) I can say that the current ASIC sensor that is in the final stages is that for the S35 and that the RED EPIC 645 will not come available for testing till later in 2010.

The RED EPIC (TATTO) in picture below (actual picture) is shown with a Canon mount, and it will also take NIkon and off course its native PL mount for Cinematography as this is primarily a cine camera with very Bad A$#@! Still capabilities.

Lens mount options currently shown (from left to right ) Nikon, Cine PL with RED PRO Cine Glass and Canon, interchangeable off course.
    Last edited by KETCH ROSSI; 3rd November 2010 at 05:58.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the "Glock" of cameras.

I would hate to be stopped by a cop with THAT in my hand in London!

Post Thanks / Like

I would hate to be stopped by a cop with THAT in my hand in London!
    He he, then you would definitely not want to carry the FF RED EPIC/Scarlet with one of this set ups, its called "GUNNER

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm moving to Hollywood I want one of those bad asses to shoot. Ultimate gear slut. LOL

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yair,

What's a scanner and how does it help me with my digital camera?

I did a documentary project to examine the future of pro film scanning:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Interesting Carsten, I did not know that and am surprised to hear he's moved to Canon. I always thought Rainer's images were excellent, top of the heap architecture and that step seems strange. As you know I also shoot with a Canon 1Ds3, and while it's certainly a very good camera, it leaves a lot off the plate when compared head-to-head with my Phase files. The new Canon 17 and 24 TS lenses are certainly compelling, but the net file differences remain significant IMHO...
    He never left Canon, the balance just swung a bit, and this is mainly due to the new 17 and 24 T/S lenses. They are apparently much improved over previous Canon lenses. He belongs to a special group of people in that he shoots slower and makes less shots, and therefore can spend more time in processing. If I understand his comments correctly, he freely admits that the Canons need more processing, but in his opinion, it gets there in the end. I think he uses the 5D2, not the 1Ds3.

Personally, I find it hard to believe, but have nowhere near the experience he does, so I cannot debate it. I suppose there are two mitigating factors. One is that his stuff is generally sharp front-to-back, and under those circumstances, many advantages of MF are gone. Secondly, he may be considering the final output medium when he says that he can get the results to the same place.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I'm moving to Hollywood I want one of those bad asses to shoot. Ultimate gear slut. LOL
    No need to move to Hollywood Guy, I'll pay you a visit to let you play with or we do a Group shoot out at my new place in Vegas

Btw, when time comes I'll ask you if we can do a RED section were to post all the Still stuff from their cameras I will be shooting with, specs as some of you know are just insane, shooting with the 645 and 617 from 30 FPS full resolution to 250 and 350 FPS scaled, it will be a tremendous and insane new world of MF photography!!

.. and you can build it up as much as you want in any way you want, and if the 3" Live view in current cameras is not in off try focusing on a 30" cinema display connected right on to the camera placed any were away form it.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW.. the camera can be fully operated from the distance while looking at a monitor of your size preference, while wirelessly controlling almost every function, for those times when you want to put the camera any were you can't be or can't go, all by the REDMOTE or REDMOTE PRO (on back of Scarlet).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I LUST over one of those things.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I LUST over one of those things.
    -bob
    Which one Bob?? The REDMOTE or one of the cameras

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KETCH ROSSI View Post
    No need to move to Hollywood Guy, I'll pay you a visit to let you play with or we do a Group shoot out at my new place in Vegas

Btw, when time comes I'll ask you if we can do a RED section were to post all the Still stuff from their cameras I will be shooting with, specs as some of you know are just insane, shooting with the 645 and 617 from 30 FPS full resolution to 250 and 350 FPS scaled, it will be a tremendous and insane new world of MF photography!!

.. and you can build it up as much as you want in any way you want, and if the 3" Live view in current cameras is not in off try focusing on a 30" cinema display connected right on to the camera placed any were away form it.

Ketch you do a Red Review Jack and I will put that in the new review section. Just post it in MF and we will move it there for you.

Next time in Vegas I am there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

if you want to have packed workshops start planning some red ones..
    it makes the whole leica buffer discussion kind of silly.
    that new ff35 should be a sight to behold.. I'd be happy with just the red matte box!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    What's a scanner and how does it help me with my digital camera?

I did a documentary project to examine the future of pro film scanning:

If that had been shot on film it would look nicer ...

(Just kidding ... maybe).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It sure as heck does!
    Jack