The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Whats the new MF camera?

This always seemed to me to be the logical way to sell a ton (relatively speaking) arTecs, i.e. provide a Mamiya mount, or at least contribute to the path. As Peter suggests, it's now even more logical for Sinar to offer the arTec in as many mounts as possible.
Yes, I contacted Sinar about the future possibility of a Contax mount for the arTec and was told with Swiss certainty that since Contax hadn't been manufactured for years that there would not be a mount created. I would have purchased an arTec in a heartbeat, but as it stands now it seems that the P2 that I bought in 1989 will be the last new Sinar piece I ever purchase.

As for Arca Swiss, they seem to have that mystical "almost available" image; no real web site, spotty availability, accessories that may some day arrive, at least in the States. The sightings seem to be so seldom that it might be considered a 'holy grail' piece of equipment (didn't Dan Brown tie in Arca Swiss to some part of the puzzle in one of his books ....... :rolleyes:)

T

tetsrfun

you could shoot a digital back with Hassy V lenses. Oh what fun.
I think shooting a 110 f/2 FE with a digital back is fun.

Steve

yaya

At first, I dismissed the HartCam - it just seemed clunky, ugly, expensive, and you could shoot a digital back with Hassy V lenses. Oh what fun. But then I realized many of the 35mm lenses, apparently including the 17mm Canon T/S, as well as the Superrotators, have large enough image circles to work with many digital backs. That changes things, and provides some additional options, especially for landscape, architectural shooters. I'd like to see it about $3,000 less expensive, but....

Steve Hendrix
And as the EOS protocol is supported, you can control aperture and shutter speed from the body (or a remote maybe)

We're supposed to have one for demos next week at Peartree's Manchester open day next Thursday, we'll try to get some Canon lenses as well...

Steve Hendrix

you could shoot a digital back with Hassy V lenses. Oh what fun.
I think shooting a 110 f/2 FE with a digital back is fun.

Steve

Oh I agree! But if that was all the HarCam could offer, I don't know that it would be the best camera to do that with.

Steve Hendrix

yaya

I feel like tossing 'em all out and starting again - probably with Phase just waiting on Sinar to deliver alternative mounts on an artec ( H mount & Phase) - which is the piece of kit I am really wanting.
Peter you should check again with Sinar...

That's a Mamiya/ Phase mount. I can give you the contacts of the Spanish Sinar & Leaf dealer who sells them.

Yair

gogopix

Subscriber
At first, I dismissed the HartCam - it just seemed clunky, ugly, expensive, and you could shoot a digital back with Hassy V lenses. Oh what fun. But then I realized many of the 35mm lenses, apparently including the 17mm Canon T/S, as well as the Superrotators, have large enough image circles to work with many digital backs. That changes things, and provides some additional options, especially for landscape, architectural shooters. I'd like to see it about $3,000 less expensive, but....

Steve Hendrix
Peter. That is a very interesting idea and design. If it really works as advertised --- quite brilliant.
Actually the concept has been around for years-just not picked up. Keith at Kapture Group said my Leica "R" was the first he EVER did. (and it was a 2 cam!:ROTFL: he had to redo with a real R mount from an adapter!)

The limit in the concept is the shutter. You can alway measure and mill aluminum for a 'dumb' interface between any lens and any back, including film as long as you get the registration correct. With a "camera" (like the ALPA) that is just a $2,000 piece of 1/4" aluminum that's all you need

... except a shutter
the COPAL shutters of any size are limited to 1/125 s speed. Not good for long lenses. If they really CAN get a 1/8000 or even a 1/1000s shutter to work with a back, that alone is worth $5k.

Victor

carstenw

I didn't know you were interested in the arTec, Jack. I think it is a really neat camera which solves a very specific problem very well. Ironically, Rainer Viertlböck, who designed it with Sinar, is using Canon more and more, according to posts on LL.

Nick-T

I admire Stefan but that Hartblei is a solution that was needed 10 years ago when I was looking for something to put my 3020 on.
I don't know why Michael is saying it will "knock your socks off"...

Nick-T

carstenw

Looking at the soap opera that has been the Hartblei story for the last few years, I have no idea why anyone is getting excited in advance. A lot of hype and little real. Some of their lenses turned out much more expensive but no better than their classic stuff, and it seems that nothing much is getting delivered. I recall getting into a discussion with Stefan once about the lenses, and he ranted a lot but gave no real answers.

The 40IF is a very sharp lens, but it is only a 40. They really need wider lenses. There is also some distortion to correct, but I am not aware of any Hartblei software, so you are on your own there, unless that situation changed.

gogopix

Subscriber
I admire Stefan but that Hartblei is a solution that was needed 10 years ago when I was looking for something to put my 3020 on.
I don't know why Michael is saying it will "knock your socks off"...

Nick-T
well, if they really cmeras do thisan do MF FP shutter at 1/4000 (of course OTHER cameras do this) that IS a big deal. All other systems have copal/schneider shutters with 1/125 or 1/500 MAX speed (and latter only for small aperture lenses)

everything else is just milled alumoinum.

Victor

yaya

well, if they really cmeras do thisan do MF FP shutter at 1/4000 (of course OTHER cameras do this) that IS a big deal. All other systems have copal/schneider shutters with 1/125 or 1/500 MAX speed (and latter only for small aperture lenses)

everything else is just milled alumoinum.

Victor
It's got a Mamiya shutter similar to the one in the 645DF (1/4000) and an EOS mount that can actually talk to the EOS lens for changing aperture.
It is also planned to have the full Mamiya interface to sync with the back. At the moment you still have to use a sync cable.

I'll try to get some shots with it next week, with an Aptus-II 10 and the Canon TS/E lenses.

gogopix

Subscriber
It's got a Mamiya shutter similar to the one in the 645DF (1/4000) and an EOS mount that can actually talk to the EOS lens for changing aperture.
It is also planned to have the full Mamiya interface to sync with the back. At the moment you still have to use a sync cable.

I'll try to get some shots with it next week, with an Aptus-II 10 and the Canon TS/E lenses.
well
if they caould talk to the Contax 645 AF lenses THAT would really be a WWOOOOOWWWW!:D

Christopher

Well Hartblei I think is often underrated quite alot. Their three TSE lenses for DSLRs are better than anything out there. Nothing from Nikon or Canon comes even close. I have the 85 and it is just amazing how sharp it is.

When it comes to the Hartblei cam, well I don't really know much. I am more interested in an arctec, I would certainly love to try one once I'm back in Germany. (Only in Phase/Mam. mount)

gogopix

Subscriber
there is a difference in Hartblei 35mm DSLR vs MF. The former I believe were made in a coop with Zeiss and used Zeiss designed glass, whereas the MF 45mm super-rotator was Hartblei. I have it and mine is quite sharp from their main plant (Czech?), but others have said those from the Arsenal factory were not so good.

victor