The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Flash bracket for Hasselblad CFV?

yongfei

Hi everyone,

What is a suitable wedding flash bracket for Hasselblad CFV back? The problem is: the camera is not sitting stable because of the big external battery. Also, I need a tripod hole on the bracket base, so that I can attach a Arca Swiss quick release plate to it.

You may tell me some brands there that have both a "high feet" base, and a tripod hole. Size shouild be as small as possible, as its main purpose is to make the camera stable while it is sitting on a table. Most of the time, I will attach the camera/bracket to a tripod.

fotografz

Hi everyone,

What is a suitable wedding flash bracket for Hasselblad CFV back? The problem is: the camera is not sitting stable because of the big external battery. Also, I need a tripod hole on the bracket base, so that I can attach a Arca Swiss quick release plate to it.

You may tell me some brands there that have both a "high feet" base, and a tripod hole. Size shouild be as small as possible, as its main purpose is to make the camera stable while it is sitting on a table. Most of the time, I will attach the camera/bracket to a tripod.
If you want it to sit flat and not tip over when you put it down you may have to forego the Arca Plate.

I used a Stroboframe flash bracket that was partially designed by the wedding photographer Denis Reggie when he used a Hasselblad. It has the QR plate built into the actual bracket ... but you have to use the Stroboframe QR on the tripod.

However, I stopped using a bracket some time ago after moving to the use of a prism finder. I now use a Hasselblad D40 flash mounted on the prism finder and use a Hasselblad H quick release on the tripod. All 500, 200 and H series cameras have the QR plate built into the base of the camera so they sit flat. Very secure set up.

-Marc

carstenw

I have similar concerns with my 2000FC/M, in that I would like a plate which works with the Hasselblad which is Arca-compatible, since the rest of my setup is RRS/Kirk. Can I unscrew the Hasselblad plate and replace it with something (what?) from RRS?

fotografz

I have similar concerns with my 2000FC/M, in that I would like a plate which works with the Hasselblad which is Arca-compatible, since the rest of my setup is RRS/Kirk. Can I unscrew the Hasselblad plate and replace it with something (what?) from RRS?
I think you can mount any QR plate under most any flash bracket base, including an Arca.

The issue from the OP was getting one that allows you to set the camera down flat.

I know exactly what he is talking about because at a wedding you do sit the camera down frequently. With just about any plate mounted to the base of a flash bracket, it is tippy because the flash up on top of the bracket makes it top heavy.

The only one I know of is the Stroboframe Brackets with the QR built into the bracket base itself ... no tipping. But as I said, that solution requires use of a Strobframe QR on the tripod. The Strobo plate won't work with any Arca tripod QR.

Nothing is ever easy because nothing is standardized.

Marc

yongfei

Marc, thank you for your experienced input. Yes, my concern is how to sit down the camera flat. I don't mind using the camera with bracket (with Arca QR) on a tripod. So if Stroboframe bracket has a tripod (QR) hole in the base, that maybe the solution. From your research, it doesn't seem to have a bracket with three or four (about 1 inch high) long "feet" which will raise the bracket base higher to accommodate the battery height. I use three large (long) Sony FP N970 batteries. So maybe I should also use a battery with a smaller capacity.

Like you said in another thread, the external battery is an inconvenient design, especially when you have to turn the camera 90 degrees on tripod for portrait shot. But the Phase solution needs to sleep the back to reduce the heat.

For the Hasselblad QR plate, I found two providers. ClearSight has more models to choose:

http://www.clearsightusa.com/oscomm...th=31&osCsid=b95ed39ad62d4330794c5412ff24a1ff
http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/P60H.php