The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Re: Leaf

David K

Workshop Member

Yair, nothing to apologize for... not a hint of offense in your post. While I would have liked to have had the option of a current Leaf back for my Hy6 I can see why it might be less than compelling for Phase to offer it. Just a shame that all the R&D that went into developing the AFI/Hy6 has had such disappointing results. With the benefit of hindsight I sure wish Phase would have been part of the original group that was able to use it. IMHO, it's a great camera with the ability to use superb lenses.

carstenw

Yair, now I am confused. You mean that Phase One decided to pay for the AFi after all? All indications at the time were that they didn't really want to and saw nothing in it. And did you really mean to phrase it the way you did? You make it sound like Sinar doesn't own the Hy6 rights.

I am guessing that the statement could be clarified as follows: Phase One/Leaf Imaging have the non-exclusive rights to manufacture and support the AFi camera. Is that right?

yaya

Yair, now I am confused. You mean that Phase One decided to pay for the AFi after all?
I did not say that

You make it sound like Sinar doesn't own the Hy6 rights
Since this is a Leaf thread, I'd rather stay on topic, if possible. I guess Sinar can/ should answer this question. AFAIK Sinar is committed to support the AFi and Hy6 bodies and lenses.
Actually I'd rather focus on current products rather than on discontinued ones...

Last edited:

yaya

And as promised the Leaf Capture Remote software for the iPhone/ iPod Touch is now available FREE from the App Store and the server side is available for download from Leaf's website

Enjoy!

Paratom

I did not say that

Since this is a Leaf thread, I'd rather stay on topic, if possible. I guess Sinar can/ should answer this question. AFAIK Sinar is committed to support the AFi and Hy6 bodies and lenses.
Actually I'd rather focus on current products rather than on discontinued ones...
This here sounds a little bit like Leaf would not care that much about the customers from yesterday. I think however that this could be a mistake in a longer term. Yesterdays customers could be customers for tomorrow as well.
But I think one would have to trust to get a longterm partner and not to be forced to buy a new camera body and lenses for each new back.

yaya

This here sounds a little bit like Leaf would not care that much about the customers from yesterday. I think however that this could be a mistake in a longer term. Yesterdays customers could be customers for tomorrow as well.
But I think one would have to trust to get a longterm partner and not to be forced to buy a new camera body and lenses for each new back.
Focusing on current products has no relation whatsoever IMO to caring/ not caring about yesterday's customers.

If you bought your AFi camera from a Leaf dealer you will still go to a Leaf dealer for service or repair.

I do not know of any company in our business that has ever forced anyone to buy anything. For example Leaf never made backs for the Rollei 6000 series so users of that camera had the choice to buy their backs from other vendors.

The picture might have been different had F&H and the project been still running strong when Leaf Imaging was set up but this as I said before is a dead horse IMO.

Yair

Paratom

I just thought it is interesting that Leaf backs are now available for different mounts but can not be adapted for the AFI but you explained before it seems to have technical reasons. In this regard I am still impressed with Sinar backs which are quite flexible.

Focusing on current products has no relation whatsoever IMO to caring/ not caring about yesterday's customers.

If you bought your AFi camera from a Leaf dealer you will still go to a Leaf dealer for service or repair.

I do not know of any company in our business that has ever forced anyone to buy anything. For example Leaf never made backs for the Rollei 6000 series so users of that camera had the choice to buy their backs from other vendors.

The picture might have been different had F&H and the project been still running strong when Leaf Imaging was set up but this as I said before is a dead horse IMO.

Yair

carstenw

Yair, part of my confusion arises from you continually writing "AFi/Hy6". Leaf has never had specific access or rights to any Hy6 that I know of, just AFi. The Sinar Hy6 is a current model and is not discontinued. I think it may not be currently manufactured, but Sinar has enough for now, and it is an open question what they would do if their stock ran out.

paulmoore

having an open forum on topics is great unless there are those who won't be open and transparent.. for obvious reasons, I guess we have to take the cons as well as the pros when it comes to reading and partaking of this forum..kinda like going to the shrink and thinking that they really are your friend and have just your well being in mind.
Sorry but this thread reads like a press release from the new and open white house.

arashm

Yair

can you give us any news or clues on the new backs?
I'm just inpatient that's all :D
Thanks
am

stephengilbert

"Sorry but this thread reads like a press release from the new and open white house."

Huh? I thought this thread began because Guy suggested it would be a good idea to have information about Leaf's products. Yair did just that, and then responded to critics who didn't like what was offered. I guess you can't please everyone.

etrigan63

Forgive me if this has been answered before but, do the current Leaf Aptus-II backs require a wakeup cable on technical cameras?

yongfei

I'd like to ask a more technical related question: do you think it is possible to produce a back for AFI/HY6 using flash sync socket only? That is, a generic back with an AFI/HY6 interface? The camera designer should make that possible as compatibility is always the weakest point of those electronic cameras. That will be kind of last resort of work-around....

paulmoore

"Sorry but this thread reads like a press release from the new and open white house."

Huh? I thought this thread began because Guy suggested it would be a good idea to have information about Leaf's products. Yair did just that, and then responded to critics who didn't like what was offered. I guess you can't please everyone.
my not-so-important point was that we get fed info here..and in varing degrees of transparency, it was just a reminder to me of that and when it come to getting info about products I would rather hear it from a fellow photographer who is not embedded with a manufacturer.. I am sure yair and the other "reps" do their best to relay as much info as they can.. but as I said, for obvious reasons they can't really write here the truth as they know it or even guess at it, whereas shooters such as myself and spout off how we see reality..may not have any worth either! my point other not-so-brilliant point about the whitehouse, they talk about openess and transparency but it seems they are open about just what they want to tell, not what the folks what to know about...time for me to use the deadhorse too.:deadhorse:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

my not-so-important point was that we get fed info here..and in varing degrees of transparency, it was just a reminder to me of that and when it come to getting info about products I would rather hear it from a fellow photographer who is not embedded with a manufacturer.. I am sure yair and the other "reps" do their best to relay as much info as they can.. but as I said, for obvious reasons they can't really write here the truth as they know it or even guess at it, whereas shooters such as myself and spout off how we see reality..may not have any worth either!
Paul,

Unlike on most other forums, we respect the manufacturer reps that participate here. If you take time to read what they post, you'll see that most of them are true professionals interested in sharing accurate information about their products. Moreover, as has been stated already, WE asked Yair to post this information for the benefit of our readers, not the other way around!

yaya

my not-so-important point was that we get fed info here..and in varing degrees of transparency, it was just a reminder to me of that and when it come to getting info about products I would rather hear it from a fellow photographer who is not embedded with a manufacturer.. I am sure yair and the other "reps" do their best to relay as much info as they can.. but as I said, for obvious reasons they can't really write here the truth as they know it or even guess at it, whereas shooters such as myself and spout off how we see reality..may not have any worth either! my point other not-so-brilliant point about the whitehouse, they talk about openess and transparency but it seems they are open about just what they want to tell, not what the folks what to know about...time for me to use the deadhorse too.:deadhorse:
Hi Paul,

I think I understand your point of view as it is hard to get a complete picture without having access to the actual agreements between the few parties that are involved.

Specifically in this case, there is a lot more going on that cannot be shared and it will be irresponsible on my part to provide information that is not meant to be public. but that's life as they say...

This has less to do with wanting to be transparent and more to do with having to keep the integrity and continuity of those agreements.

Anyway, I've been asked to provide info on the current offerings and was "dragged" into this AFi discussion...to be honest I was expecting it and I have no problem answering as many question as I can, but obviously I do want to try and serve the interest of customers as well as the interest of the companies involved.

As many said before, there is no substitute to having 1st hand experience with the product and no matter what others (reps, colleagues, mates or whoever) say, you should be making your decision only after you have tried it yourself, if possible.

Best

Yair

paulmoore

Hi Paul,

I think I understand your point of view as it is hard to get a complete picture without having access to the actual agreements between the few parties that are involved.

Best

Yair
glad you got my non-hostile intent.
we photographers are sometimes left holding the bag when it comes to this equipment ..knowing that some, not implying you, have info which could make in some cases thousands of dollars difference if all info was available before purchases were made can be frustrating. I guess unavoidable even in this age of information. sorry for running off track from your leaf thread
but keeping up with who is doing what with whom back-wise can be a full time job.

etrigan63

Ok everyone missed two things:

1. my question from 6 posts up and
2. the incredibly obvious pun in the title of the thread.