The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Changing MF Landscape: What's a Mother to do?

David K

Workshop Member
Marc,

How do you like the bokeh with the Hassy (Fujinon) lenses. I've seen some not too great examples and heard this issue raised as a negative vs Zeiss glass.

fotografz

Marc,

How do you like the bokeh with the Hassy (Fujinon) lenses. I've seen some not too great examples and heard this issue raised as a negative vs Zeiss glass.
Tell you what David, here's two shots from two different H/C lenses done for different jobs ... one is the proprietor of Muddy Creek Cowboy Rain Gear for a commercial shoot (H/C 300/4 @ f/5.6) ... and the other is a flower girl wedding candid (H/C 100/2.2 @ f/2.2.)

You tell me if the OOF Bokeh is nice and the subject looks 3D.

One thing I can say, the specular highlights aren't Chrysler Logos, and 99% of wide aperture shots I take are in focus : -)

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
Marc,
Well, that answers that question :) Beautiful captures, both of them. The shot of the flower girl is really impressive at f/2.2 and why I want AF with my fast glass. Really nice work on these.

LJL

Marc,
You are making all of this even tougher for me ;-) These are great captures, and yes, both lenses are delivering a lot of dimension. The flower girl shot jumps off of the screen. I am imagining this shot in print.....outstanding. Wonderful......just wonderful.

LJ

fotografz

Marc,
You are making all of this even tougher for me ;-) These are great captures, and yes, both lenses are delivering a lot of dimension. The flower girl shot jumps off of the screen. I am imagining this shot in print.....outstanding. Wonderful......just wonderful.

LJ
Thanks LJ.

I've found these lenses to be suspect by those who never used them. Those that do use them think highly of them ... obviously including me : -)

Here are two shots that demonstrate the versatility of the integrated H3 system. The first shows the excellent AF abilities of a H/C 150/3.5 and 1.7X extender mounted on a H3D/31 @ ISO 400 ... a horse running at me, shallow DOF due to shooting wide open (250mm @ f/5), and the camera helped me nailed it. This image was printed 6 feet square for a horse riding equipment trade shoe booth, so people were viewing it up close and personal. Spectacular prints.

Then I can turn around and in-studio shoot tethered to a computer, adjust lighting with a live view on a 30" monitor, and quickly pop off a bunch of catalog shots of wheels using the HD3, but this time with a 80/2.8 stopped down. How MF helps here are that the handling of tonal gradations and specular highlights is far superior to anything available in 35mm DSLRs. This is an un-retouched shot of a brushed metal wheel using Profoto strobes.

Last edited:

LJL

Marc,
This kind of stuff works for me!! Really like the shots, and have an appreciation of both your skills and what the gear can do in capable hands.

The entire concept of a well-performing and integrated system is not lost here, and the HC glass is not giving much up. The wrestling match I keep having in my own thoughts right now are how much trade-off one really is getting by chasing parts versus a more integrated system. Not saying that things are not able to be used with other combinations, but from a utility and effective working perspective, there is something to be said for using gear that gets out your way and let's you work. (Some will argue that selecting the right lens/body/back/adapters/cables/etc., part is very important, and I will not dispute that. But maybe spending a lot of time finding and assembling those combinations for each shoot may not ultimately deliver any more than being able to spend more time shooting with stuff that just works together well and delivers.)

LJ

P.S. I realize the horse/rider shot had a specific purpose, but I had to smile to myself a bit. Great capture with the horse "gathered up", and tough to get without good AF on camera for sure. Now picture doing this kind of shooting with young Argentine polo players coming at you at 35+mph, hanging out of the saddle, and trying to whack a ball down the field toward you, that you may have to dodge to keep from getting hit!! That is part of my action shooting world. Maybe not suited for MF, but then I have the Canons for that ;-)

gogopix

Subscriber
Marc

When did you take that cowboy shot? I swear I saw a Ron Riddick painting in the claggett rey gallery in Vail a few years ago, with EXACTLY that scene, even to the dog in the backgriund!

except of course, it was with the obligatory YELLOW slicker:ROTFL:

Great shot!

regards
Victor

LJL

I am about to get in big trouble here I think. Details later:D
Guy,
If you have not already done so, you might want to scan that other thread we have going also. Just about the time I thought I was getting things figured out, bam, another 2x4 to the head to shake some more cobwebs loose :shocked:

This is really becoming quite interesting and more than tempting in so many ways, especially after seeing some of the images, reading some of the discussions, and actually thinking about what may be a direction to head.

So, share your next impulsive decision with us :clap:

LJ

LJL

Frankly I think I just got my 3rd system . Just too hard to ignore. I'm toast
And what are you going to do when Marc talks you into a Hasselblad, and David and others talk you into the Sinar Hy6?? NOW you are seeing the crisis I have been staring at. These bad boys can do some serious damage to your wallet and your eyeballs once you start down the path :shocked:

Hey, Marc has been having somewhat of a fire sale lately, cleaning his gear closet out, I may soon follow with a bunch of Canon stuff (and a kidney or so) to get the coin together for these toys :grin:

LJ

fotografz

I'm hiding from Marc. LOL

Mamiya ZD is what i am getting. Demo from Camera West
Way to go Guy !!!!!! Welcome to MFD Land.

Don't buy any lenses, I have some killer AF ones for you !!!! And a few things no one else has : -)

Best prices for you my friend.

WaHooo !

mark1958

Marc. I would like to echo some of your comments. I have been very impressed with the 100mm HC in regards to bokeh. I would love to get my hands on the 300mm HC at some point

David Klepacki

And what are you going to do when Marc talks you into a Hasselblad, and David and others talk you into the Sinar Hy6?? ...
LJ
LJ,

For the record, I am not promoting the Hy6. My position is that one camera does not do it all for me. I believe you need both leaf shutter and focal plane shutter capabilities, and I happen to prefer the freedom of Sinarback adapters as they let me use multiple cameras and support the Hasselblad 200 series better than Hasselblad. If you do not need AF, then the Hasselblad 203 or 205 will fit the bill for many people, as it can accommodate both leaf and focal plane shutters. If you need AF, then your only other option is to go with the Phase/Mamiya AFD III or ZD camera, and just wait for their announced leaf shutter lenses to appear...but then no waist level finder....

Don't get me wrong, the Hy6 is still a wonderful and extremely capable camera, and like anything else, it takes a little getting used to. But, the flexibility of the Sinarback system is what rocks for me.

Last edited: