The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Changing MF Landscape: What's a Mother to do?

Steve Hendrix

Lance is right.

I'm really struggling with the focal plane shutter concept, as I want a fast sync speed so that I can use strobes for bright daylight fill.

Relative to tilt/shift, I've pretty much decided to just look for a technical camera and get the whole ball of wax including swing. For some of the firearms photography that I do, it has been impossible to get everything in focus regardless of stopping the apertures as far as possible. Using a tech camera yesterday, one of the shots which I just could not otherwise get everything in focus was possible to do using the tilt & swing options of the tech camera. It was also very nice to be able to fix perspective by moving the back end.

I have decided that I want the 39MP back and leaf shutter capability. The issue is going to come down to one of finance along with ease of total use and workflow. The Phase/Mamiya was nice to use and will have leaf shutter lenses at a later date. I'm going to be using a Hassy now, so that I can really make a good comparison on what works best for me.

I'm not willing to go through any real mix and match systems, as I just want a system that works without the headaches of new technology to market (AKA: the M8 launch), or having to deal with multiple companies and tech supports to resolve issues.

I'll let you guys know more, once the Hassy is in hand.

Best,

Ray
Ray:

Make sure you have someone who can competently help you along with the Hasselblad hardare/software so you can see the full potential of the solution. If you don't have someone, feel free to contact me directly.

Steve Hendrix
404-543-8475
[email protected]
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php

fotografz

Ray:

Make sure you have someone who can competently help you along with the Hasselblad hardare/software so you can see the full potential of the solution. If you don't have someone, feel free to contact me directly.

Steve Hendrix
404-543-8475
[email protected]
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php
I'll second that offer Ray. Peter A and I communicate quite a bit as we work through some of the new things offered with Phocus Beta software updates.

You also may wish to join Nick T's forum dedicated to Hasselblad Digital users. Invaluable resource.

http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Ray,
I hate to sound like I am "selling" futures, but with an investment of this size you do have to look into a crystal ball a bit and try to see what is on the horizon and beyond. On the horizon for Phase short term is the availability of newly designed leaf shutter lenses to work with the PhaseOne 645AFD,which will make it the first and only medium format system to feature a focal plane and leaf shutter.What does this mean? Ultimate flexibilty of the choices of lens that are available today (Hasselblad 500 and 200 series, Pentacon six mount, MF Mamiya lenses, AF Mamiya lenses, Sekor Digital)This is just the first of many things you can expect to see on their new open camera system/platform (which is built upon years of Mamiyas experience on the 645afd).
I can only imagine that this camera is only the begining of things to come.
Phase One with their design have left the "doors" open for others to attach any digital backs that has the afd mount/film backs, and allow for legacy lens support.
You may not be looking for other types of lenses today, but it is nice to know that they are out there and hopefully other manufactures will see the market potential of this 'open' platform and be encouraged to come out with solutions for it.
Options are never a bad thing
L