Site Sponsors

Thread: Show Studio

Post Thanks / Like

Show Studio

Allowing the public a unique insight into the workings of the photographic studio, this Live Studio space will be used each week by world-renowned fashion image-makers, including Jason Evans, Shona Heath and Simon Foxton, to shoot fashion editorial, portraits and film. The ultimate in tantalising voyeurism, a two-way mirror allows the audience to observe unseen from the exhibition space, while the action is also simultaneously broadcast live on SHOWstudio.com

http://www.showstudio.com/project/fa...evolution/live

For example it seems to be Nick Knight at the moment.

Lady GaGa was shot yesterday.

I mention it as he is using Hasselblad + Phocus.

Might be some interesting people on there I guess!?

Best,

David

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Show Studio

Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Hasselblad View Post
    Allowing the public a unique insight into the workings of the photographic studio, this Live Studio space will be used each week by world-renowned fashion image-makers, including Jason Evans, Shona Heath and Simon Foxton, to shoot fashion editorial, portraits and film. The ultimate in tantalising voyeurism, a two-way mirror allows the audience to observe unseen from the exhibition space, while the action is also simultaneously broadcast live on SHOWstudio.com

http://www.showstudio.com/project/fa...evolution/live

For example it seems to be Nick Knight at the moment.

Lady GaGa was shot yesterday.

I mention it as he is using Hasselblad + Phocus.

Might be some interesting people on there I guess!?

Best,

David
    Thanks David!

I'll take a look when i get a free minute or two.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quite amazing to see how simple the guy works.

You hear so much about critical focus and the need for perfect technique or zero tolerance, pixel peeping wisdom about how only the best af and the best lenses can make a mf back actually produce a sharp picture, etc., etc. and then you see one of the highest paid commercial photographers on the planet with an old hassy, manually focusing and shooting away. Probably nothing critically sharp at 100% on a 30 monitor, but sharp enough for the art director of a fashion mag.

I know that all the landscape guys here need 100 billion pix on a 8 x 10 inch sensor bolted to a boulder with tilt shift using eyepeeling super apo laser razor glass, but I'm scratching my head right now thinking, maybe Mr. Knight is onto something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kipling View Post
    but I'm scratching my head right now thinking, maybe Mr. Knight is onto something.
    Don't scratch too hard....he shoots fashion and celebs and makes images not pixels.
    He's been renting Phase on H1/ H2 for years with a tech attached to the monitor that takes care of checking focus and processing. At that point the shooting process is as simple as shooting film.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    he shoots fashion and celebs and makes images not pixels.
    ... shouldn't we all be making images, not pixels? I don't get the angle on this comment?
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    ... shouldn't we all be making images, not pixels? I don't get the angle on this comment?
    Same angle as Kipling's

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I am lost. The way you wrote it I got the feeling that making images instead of pixels was a bad thing, but this is clearly not the case. I don't get it.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Carsten, my read of the comments is that the goal of making images is all-too-often overshadowed by the tendency of extreme pixel-peeping, i.e. making pixels more than images. I believe that Yair was agreeing that making images is the desirable goal. To me it was a little good natured ribbing, and a reminder that for most of us the goal should be the image, not the pixel. A theory to which I subscribe as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    Don't scratch too hard....he shoots fashion and celebs and makes images not pixels.
    LOL, which is why many will move to the 1DsIV instead of dropping coin for MFD with it's main calling card being exclusivity. Let's put all this in perspective.

I shoot natural light = I use photoshop light.

I see microcontrast = I pixel peep.

I shoot MFD = I have a slow workflow / I shoot celebs / I am independently wealthy / my wife pays the bills.

I bought a p65+ = I will buy a p100+ and blog about it.

I use Leica = I belong to a men's club.

I responds to threads like these = I like to argue.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Allyn View Post
    Carsten, my read of the comments is that the goal of making images is all-too-often overshadowed by the tendency of extreme pixel-peeping, i.e. making pixels more than images. I believe that Yair was agreeing that making images is the desirable goal. To me it was a little good natured ribbing, and a reminder that for most of us the goal should be the image, not the pixel. A theory to which I subscribe as well.
    Ah okay, the comment just went completely over my head I guess. Sigh. I ceremoniously add myself to the "images not pixels" sentiment. I recently decided I would not upgrade either my M8 or my Sinar e54. Both are quite capable machines, and so I replaced my old, cold and annoying tripod with a decent new one instead. I think that will get me much further in the long run. Should be here soon.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new support. A stable platform from which to shoot is like upgrading one's sensor.