The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P65 ISO comparison (sensor+ and 5dii)

Christopher

Well I wanted to do it for a long time, but never found the time. After reading Jack's posts again, I got inspired to sit down and do a quick test. It certainly is not perfect and the light slightly changed. It should be noted that it is not a resolution test. The P65 was used on a LF camera and the 5D was shot with a 24-70 zoom so that wouldn't be fair at all. However it doesn't matter much to get a feeling for the noise.

The image was exposed for the highlights. So that nothing important was clipped. The shadows were slighlty brightened in C1. NR was off and sharpening was just 25/0.4 in PS

The first attachement is the full view of the image. The rest shows all crops at Sensor+ size.

The order is the following: (first three crops P65 full res at 200,400,800 than P65 sensor+ at 400,800,1600 after that 5Dii at 400,800,1600,6400)

Edit:
Just saw that the Shadow crops are missing the 5Dii ISO 200 file. (must have forgoten it)

Edit 2:

Here are the crops at full P65 size:
http://www.hauserbankus.com/photos/P65/normal02.jpg
http://www.hauserbankus.com/photos/P65/dark02.jpg

Last edited:

carstenw

Very interesting. For some reason, I prefer *all* the P65+ results, except the ISO 1600 shot. The 5D shots start looking weak already at 800, to me.

Very interesting. For some reason, I prefer *all* the P65+ results, except the ISO 1600 shot. The 5D shots start looking weak already at 800, to me.
I agree with Carsten. I thought my D3 had better low light behavior. I'll have to give Sensor+ another shot.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
400 and 800 on the P65+ seem better than my H3DII 39....wonder if the H4D 60 will approach this level. My D3 did and my D700 does seem better than the 5DII at least from this comparison.

Bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Here is a test I did when the P40+ first came out http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8090 but it was a older version of C1 I forget what version BUT Version 5 has improved the noise levels. The P40+ shows up today for the S2 review and if I get a chance I can post some separately but most definitely when the review comes out with the S2 and P40+ that is part of our testing as well. Frankly many people see Sensor Plus as a gimmick I see it it in a whole different light, It eliminates me buying a 35mm DSLR completely for the different types of shooting I do. I want a ISO 800 11mpx file for PR work and if I can squeeze 1600 out of it than so much the better. I was really hoping the S2 had binning.

Christopher

Well I have to admit I was suprised myelf. Especially about ISO 800. I have never used it before, because just looking at 100%, was just very noisy. I always thought I would be better of binning or using the 5DII, however this is only the case as long as you print smaller. Even though binning and the 5D have a lot less niose than the full size P65, the resolution difference is still there.

It certainly would be interested to print some stuff at 12in, 18in, 24in, 30in and see what does better at that size. I expect that the low res solution win until a certain size, but after that I would bet on the P65 after my current tests.

Terry

Christopher -
I'm confused...how are all the crops the same size? I would have thought a 100% crop of the P65 without binning would would be larger (if you wanted to show the exact same portion of the shot) than the binned version and then the 5DII has a different resolution.

Christopher

Clarifying the files: The two smaller crops are attached in the orginal post and the larger ones can be fond by using the links in the post itself.

For me 100% crops don't say a lot if not in a good context. So the crops are in to versions. the small version is the same crop at P65 binned size. So the full res P65 file was down sampled as well as the 5DII file. (With the 5D the down sampling wasn't much and so noise did not improve really) The larger version shows the 100% crop of the P65 file and all other crops are up sampled to match it.

Now here are my thoughts behind this method. I don't really care how both files look at 100%, because it doesn't give me any information. I need some information which I can use for printing. For that purpose all files should be similar in size. This shows me, that if you print at the native resolution of the 5D or P65-binned they are better than even a full P65 file downsampled. HOWEVER, once we reach the point above that, for example if one wants to print 20x30 or larger, the P65 file beats the smaller files.

So I would say that while there is a lot of noise in a full size P65 file, there still is enough detail to beat lower res files. Just as a counter point if you would push a P65 file to ISO 3200 and compare it again against a P65 binned file or the 5DMk2, the two files with the lower pixel count would even win at print size at 40x60in.