The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Linhof Techno

I am at a V system event here today in the UK.

One of our customers brought along his relatively new Linhof Techno to show me with a Rodenstock 23HR.

He uses it with the H3D50 back for interior/architecture photography.

I don't hear much speak of this camera on getdpi so attach an image for your interest.

I think it is rather nice. Any questions on it I will do my best to answer today!

Best,

David

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
David thanks , NOW this I like a LOT. David obvious questions . Degree's of swings and tilts. What mounts will it take for backs. BTW this would be exactly what lens I would buy with it. Any details he can provide would be awesome and please ask him to join the forum as well. Okay how much and where. LOL

YES gear sluts we are. LOL

Christopher

As soon as I am in Hong Kong tomorrow I will try to answer some questions as well. I have been working with a preproduction model from Linhof and a P65 for 6 months now.

Currently I have with me and use the Rodenstock 40HR-W, which is by far the best lens I have ever seen. Next to it I have the Rodenstock 90HR-W and the Schneider 150mm. I had the Rodenstock 23HR in back home but sold it again, because I am really interested in the new Schneider 28 when it comes out.

A few thoughts on the camera. The finish is great and it works very well. I like ti a lot, but I don't know if I will keep it. Here is the main reason for it. I think for this type of camera one needs a sliding plate, which Linhof offers, the problem I have than is, that the whole thing is getting bigger and bigger. That would be no problem if I only shoot architecture, but I also like to hike a lot. Here I think a Alpa or Cambo would be a better choice. However owing both type of systems is just not an option. Tilt works really nice, but the question is how often one really needs it. I think in the 6 months time I just used it for some creative effects and just 20-30 times to really extend dof.

The camera can take every lens from 23mm to 210mm and one great part certainly is, that one saves a lot because no expensive lens mount is needed.

I think the main reason why we haven't heard much of that camera is because it was delayed over and over again. I hope once I am back in Munich, to really test it against some other cameras. ( Alpa, Cambo, Sinar, Arca ) Just trying to get in contact with all companies to get the cameras at the same time.

Some data:

Horizontal parallel shift 10 mm left, 10 mm right
Vertical parallel shift 20 mm up
Swing ±10°
Tilts ±10°

Rear rise and fall is 20mm
Rear shift depends on the sliding adapter

Last edited:
Thanks for the tech data Christopher.

Sean had never had much luck with sliding adapters so prefers to use Live Video.

I guess if you were in the field that is harder to do!

David

David thanks , NOW this I like a LOT. David obvious questions . Degree's of swings and tilts. What mounts will it take for backs. BTW this would be exactly what lens I would buy with it. Any details he can provide would be awesome and please ask him to join the forum as well. Okay how much and where. LOL

Sean has an H mount but I think you can pretty much fit anything to it.

It is very nicely made and I happen to like it a lot!

Ill ask Sean if he fancies joining.

David

Christopher

Well I can understand him quite a bit. I don't like the sliding thing to much either. I would much prefer live view, but well, I just can't carry laptop in addition to everything else. As I said so many times before the first company, Phase, Leaf, Hassi or whoever offers me a back which can give me LV as Canon and Nikon does, will get my cash right away. For me this camera and liveview would be the PERFECT tool. Until that day, I am still not sure. I just find it a lot easier to focus with a helic. mount like cambo or alpa, especially if one does not want to use sliding adapter or can't use a laptop for live view.

David just curios I was under the impression that the H3D50 did not have any LV so far ?

Now back to the Linhof. As far as I know david is correct that one can mount every back onto that camera.

Well I can understand him quite a bit. I don't like the sliding thing to much either. I would much prefer live view, but well, I just can't carry laptop in addition to everything else. As I said so many times before the first company, Phase, Leaf, Hassi or whoever offers me a back which can give me LV as Canon and Nikon does, will get my cash right away. For me this camera and liveview would be the PERFECT tool. Until that day, I am still not sure. I just find it a lot easier to focus with a helic. mount like cambo or alpa, especially if one does not want to use sliding adapter or can't use a laptop for live view.

David just curios I was under the impression that the H3D50 did not have any LV so far ?

Now back to the Linhof. As far as I know david is correct that one can mount every back onto that camera.
Today I was testing an LV for the H3D50, it looks very very good, nicer detail than the 39MP.

Sean had a lot of lenses from another Linhof, so decided it was a good cost saving not to worry about helical mounts.

D

Don Libby

Michael Reichmann did a write-up March 2006 of the Linhof M 679cs which really got me interested in digital technical cameras. I re-read that article several times each time seeing how that would work for me landscape photography. I compared it to the Cambo Ultima which thanks to Capture Integration I had an actual chance to test. I still very much like the entire concept with the only negative being the weight. I quickly found that I'd need to either have a pack animal or assistant to help carry the gear - something that just wouldn't work in the long run. Then I found the Cambo WRS which came very close to fulfilling the same end results as either the 679cs or Ultima without the burden of the weight and have been very happy.

This being said, I just pulled up the PDF brochure for the Techno. Lust!

I'll admit that this is truly the first design that I've seen that I like better than the WRS.

Guy - you hit it on the head -
Don

archivue

"I still very much like the entire concept with the only negative being the weight."

About th M line two : lightweight camera weighing barely over 2kg (4,4 lbs)

Is that bellows focusing on the Techno? Same for Arca. No thanks. Thats torture to focus. The helicals are so much faster and more repeatably accurate. I used an F Metric with my first Phase back and while the camera is a delight to use and beautifully made its very difficult to get it to focus so much so that you hesitate to change lenses since it will be more torture to focus the next lens. I think if anyone is coming out with a new technical camera it needs to be helical focusing. The demands of digital are way too high for a camera with 2 standards.

Christopher

Well while I agree that focusing with a helical mount is faster ir works well with a bellow version as well. Never had a problem with focusing.