The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Well, it's official....

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well it has a lot of check marks to hit after the purchase as well and than all the backup stuff that goes along with it all. But yes generally speaking it looks fairly good so far. Real issue is the raw processors handling the files properly.

Christopher

Although I think pinning is an interesting solution to some MFD problems, I'm also interested to see how it compares to simply downsampling with an equiv. file of the same scene without pinning. Pinning seems a great option to have in a pinch but I guess I would never make use of the feature as my shooting is 99% between 100-200ISO, and occasionally at 400ISO. I'd rather have the full res file and spend the time massaging it to make use of the full pixel count if that makes any sense?

See http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12403, I think at ISO 800 I would still prefer the full sized P65 file compared to the binned one. As long as I print large. If I stay in the range where the binned resolution is enough it has some benefits. If you want any specififc larger crops just let me know.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
For me I want the actually smaller size when I use the binning because usually in my case it is process 800 images for a show, so 3 or 4 seconds to process is huge in my case for time saving. BTW I'm like 9.5 x12.5 300 dpi with the the binning on the P40+ which is pretty good. But I agree having that ISO 800 at full res has some real power in it. Honestly I never go over 1600 anyway so this seems like it will work out great for me.

Christopher

Yes that is the main point I tried to make and will do once I am back home and have access to a printer. Up until a certain point a ISO 800 binned file or DSLR file, will look a LOT better than a full res. P65 file, however once there is a certain print size reached the full res. P65 file will beat the other options.

Without being able to actual print I would say that size is around 20x30in.

vieri

Guy & Jack, first of all thank you for all the work you did & do for us all - I know it's tough to have about 100K of equipment to play with :ROTFL: seriously, review work is a PITA so a big THANK YOU! :D

One question for you guys, did you have a D3 available around for some high ISO comparison between the Nikon & the P40/P65 in high ISO mode? That would be really interesting for me (and - together with the new DF body - seriously dangerous, too!) in that I might be able to drop my Nikon gear altogether and go for an all-MF solution. Any thoughts on how these might compare? Thank you in advance! :D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Vieri:

We did not use any DLSR's in the test of the S2 -- High ISO noise comparisons between DSLR's and MF cameras is its own subject. And when it's done, one will have to compare overall color rendition at the same time.

vieri

Hi Vieri:

We did not use any DLSR's in the test of the S2 -- High ISO noise comparisons between DSLR's and MF cameras is its own subject. And when it's done, one will have to compare overall color rendition at the same time.
Hi Jack, thank you very much for the explanation. Of course comparing such different sensors is something else altogether, and I sorta knew you wold just do a Pxx vs S2 test - I was just wondering if you had a D3/D700 at hand as well and if you did (out of curiosity) some comparison, even informal, or if you have any feeling re: the results of the P65+ at high ISO vs the Nikons out of using both, even if at different times. I will have to do this myself if & when I will have a P65+ available for trial here - which I am not sure will ever happen in my local :D