Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Phaseone 645DF - got mine today

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Phaseone 645DF - got mine today

Here's my first shot with the DF and the 80 mm LS lens - which is outstanding.
    The title is "The campfire is out".

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Caulfeild-Browne; 17th March 2010 at 17:38.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats Bill!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Henry!

The Schneider LS lens is very impressive. Here's an informal couple shot at f2.8 and f4. (I cropped out the foreground to keep the size down.) The right hand edge is at 100%. Processed only with C1 defaults, no extra work.

First is the full scene at f2.8, second is the crop, third is same crop from the f4 shot.

attachmentid=26019&stc=1&d=1261445919http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26018&stc=1&d=12614459 19http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26020&stc=1&d=12614459 19

The jpegs really don't show much of course. On my big screen the 2.8 is very acceptable, the f4 about as good as it gets. 5.6 is a tiny further improvement in contrast, but in truth stopping beyond that point doesn't do anything except increase DOF.

I realize these don't show the corners - something I'll try and rectify in the next few days.

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Caulfeild-Browne; 17th March 2010 at 17:38.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill,

Thanks for sharing these. I plan to get the 110mm LS lens. I was told they'll ship in Feb or Mar 2010.

I'm also deferring my purchase of the Sekor 28mm D lens in case Schneider puts out a wide like 30mm.

As for your samples, I'm guessing if you put the camera on tripod and focus manually you may see the f/2.8 to be even sharper. I find that without the micro-adjustment feature for AF calibration, it is very difficult to have dead on accuracy for focusing wide open shots.

Post Thanks / Like

To Bill and You others giving thumbs up for Phase 1.

I got my DF + Scneider 80mm + P65+ today.

Kirmo

ps. It was the 1st DF for Finland.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kirmo

Congratulations!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill,

I hate to even write this, but the crops you posted do not look very good to me compared to my 80D lens, even wide open in the corners. THe fact that it doesn't get better stopped down is even more troubling. One would think the Schneider design should generally kick butt...

Sorry ,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, you really can't tell ANYTHING from 72 ppi jpegs - the Raws look great. I think the lens is probably diffraction limited by f8. And these were "an informal couple"! (with no processing.)
    I'll do something more controlled soon and make the Raws available.
    Bill

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kirmo View Post
    To Bill and You others giving thumbs up for Phase 1.

I got my DF + Scneider 80mm + P65+ today.

Kirmo

ps. It was the 1st DF for Finland.
    Hi Kirmo - welcome to the site! I'll respond to your email soon but in the meantime it's good to see you here,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    Jack, you really can't tell ANYTHING from 72 ppi jpegs - the Raws look great. I think the lens is probably diffraction limited by f8. And these were "an informal couple"! (with no processing.)
    Bill
    Sounds good -- look forward to your report
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Bill
    I think Jack is right. We have seen some VERY sharp shots on this site. The 2.8 is pretty fuzzy and the f/4 soft.

I am wondering if it isn't just motion blur, or the edge went OOF. AT 2.8 you are going to have a VERY small DOF.

I would caution any conclusions about the lens from the edge under those situations.
    Maybe show the center crop? I find it difficult to focus at the edge in shots like this, so I usually do a focus bracketing. Alternative is to look 100% and pick somewhere on the ground, in the plane of the center.

If not, I would have the lens checked.

Victor
    Last edited by gogopix; 22nd December 2009 at 13:24.

Post Thanks / Like

Have any of you folks out there had an opportunity to use the Mamiya 45D on the DF yet? Tx, Ray

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Absolutely. I'm about to set up a shot of the building to examine sensor+ ISO quality improvements since the last firmware. So I will post my thoughts of that combination in a few!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guys, I think you know I don't just make exaggerated statements. But I have to say, I've just got the first DF body with firmware 1.0.1 with a Leaf Shutter Lens. It is even faster and more responsive than the pre-release firmware version that I played with last month!

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
    RSS Feed: Subscribe
    Buy Capture One at 10% off
    Personal Work

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

in evaluating the sharpness of bill's image, i don't think it is a matter focus bracketing would solve. i don't see any image element at any distance shown in the image as sharp: not the tree way in the back, not the near snow and nothing in between. So i would suspect other gremlins

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ray,

I have tested my 645DF with 45mm D, 55-110mm, 80mm D, 120mm macro, 150mm D, Hasselblad Zeiss 110 f/2. They all came up as good if not marginally better then when used on the 645AF.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Henry, good to know. I'm just in the process of completing a purchase of a DF with an 80D, and I'll be picking up a 45D in the next few months, so I look forward to hearing thoughts and observations from you and others about how you're like the lenses. Thanks, Ray

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ray CONGRATS on your new system. Glad i could be of some service to you in helping you figure it all out.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We've posted a step by step guide on setting your DF body so that the Autofocus is activated by the rear button and NOT the shutter release.

Phase One DF Body Autofocus Article

Personal Work

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    in evaluating the sharpness of bill's image, i don't think it is a matter focus bracketing would solve. i don't see any image element at any distance shown in the image as sharp: not the tree way in the back, not the near snow and nothing in between. So i would suspect other gremlins
    I've had another look at the posted jpegs vs. the raw and perhaps the problem is that I'm not properly processing 100% views, because the jpegs on my screen don't do justice to the raw file.

I think I need educating - how does one best provide a 100% view from C1 for uploading to this site?

Tomorrow I hope to do a proper controlled test but I do need to make sure my technique for posting is correct.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill take it up to 100 percent in CS4 than take a 900 x900 pixel section from that . Convert to srgb and post

I use the Rectangular marquee tool and set it for fixed size 900 by 900 take a section copy it ,than make new 900 by 900 paste and save that
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guy, thanks for the congrats! I'm now in the middle of searching on all kinds of info, lens reviews, "set up" questions, all kinds of stuff I can obsess about! And, I will indeed hit you guys up on the set up stuff etc. Take care, Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ray,

download the 645DF user guide and you can learn about your camera even before you receive it.
    http://tinyurl.com/ylkq6xw

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Henry, but the link's expired. Darn!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jack! Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure folks remember my last post on shutter motion and not even sure where I talked about it but just a update on the 300mm lens with the new DF. Have to say it still is miles above the AFDIII on this one little area alone

Okay I did the 150 D lens and could not pick up any shutter motion or motion blur on any shutter speed especially in 1/30 ,1/15 range but going to the 300mm lens I did pick it up at only two shutter speeds 1/40 and 1/30 but it is a lot better than the old AFDIII it is very slight but still there at those two speeds and surprisingly 1/20 and 1/15 which where basically unusable with a 300mm those two shutter speeds are excellent. If I had to make a call I would say with a 300mm avoid 1/40th but have to say this is really in the pixel peeping arena and not nearly as bad as the AFDIII and it did NOT show up with a 150mm just the 300mm. Obviously all locked down mirror up and 4 second timer. This was with the new Arca P1 ball head which I am finding a very excellent ball head by a country mile.

If I get a chance this week I will do a little update on this new Ball head from Arca but I will already make the call it is a cube with friction motion. It locks down like a rock. Purely ARCA

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here just to show . Watch the cross bar at 1/60 no motion at 1/40th you see ghosting and this is the worst shutter speed is 1/40th the 1/30 and 1/20th shutter speeds extremely slightly there but not worth avoiding. Yes it's that slight we are in microscope land.We need to remember this is a 300mm lens and i do not see this in the 150D. Frankly i think damn good over the AFDIII by a country mile.

Full image at 1/60th, than crop and than 1/40th crop. I will add 1/20th than 1/8 it is just as clean as the 1/60th. Personally i will not avoid 1/20th or 1/15th. not worth thinking about

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Next week the DF gets a heavy dose of a full workout with shooting runway. Actually so does the P40+. In many ways I wanted both the P40+ for exactly this stuff with sensor plus. I shoot thousands of images that get posted on 20 ft screens usually after a couple hours of shooting. So need fast processing and consistency through the whole process. Honestly I have done this with the P25 and P30+ backs and nailed everything. It only gets FASTER from here and the new DF body just screams with much better AF and speed all around. Can't wait.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, thank you very much for posting the shutter speed shots - looks great indeed, and very promising after the 645 AF. Cannot wait to put my hands on the new body, though I will have to wait probably until mid January to see that happen

On another note, having gotten the Cube and having seen A-S quality at work, I am very interested in your thoughts on the P1 - it might be worth to add a ball to the Cube for those times when you need it, to replace my old Markins which is a little lightweight to play with the MF big guns...

Thanks again, and happy shooting with your new toys!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vieri I really like the P1 so far and I am pretty picky in regards to ball heads. I have gone through several the BH54 was nice but camera's would accidentally slip from not tightening the drag and topple over and hit the tripod. The Gitzo I just had although not it's fault the pano clamp I almost lost the camera 3 times due to not tightening down. My fault really but I want idiot proof on these . Sometimes I just go too fast and miss something and can't have that. So need a head that can save my bacon. This P1 you can't help get the release closed properly and it's a two stage to open so it tells you you need that extra step to get it off. If the drag is too lose it won't topple over into the tripod legs. Big one also on this you can set the tripod in any rotational direction down and the drag is always in your hand with no knob to rotate over to say your left hand. And it's a rock

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Vieri I really like the P1 so far and I am pretty picky in regards to ball heads. I have gone through several the BH54 was nice but camera's would accidentally slip from not tightening the drag and topple over and hit the tripod. The Gitzo I just had although not it's fault the pano clamp I almost lost the camera 3 times due to not tightening down. My fault really but I want idiot proof on these . Sometimes I just go too fast and miss something and can't have that. So need a head that can save my bacon. This P1 you can't help get the release closed properly and it's a two stage to open so it tells you you need that extra step to get it off. If the drag is too lose it won't topple over into the tripod legs. Big one also on this you can set the tripod in any rotational direction down and the drag is always in your hand with no knob to rotate over to say your left hand. And it's a rock
    Thank you very much Guy, much appreciated and helpful I definitely see what you mean in respect to being able to trust your ball head, the Markin I have and used bf the Cube was good enough for the D series (with a 70-200 max), but definitely not good enough for the Phase or for the view cameras - plus, the toppling problem always being a threat especially when working under pressure and on a fast pace. The Cube is definitely a great solution for it, but at times having the convenience of fast adjustments that a ball head can provide is a life saver so the P1 looks like a great add to one's kit. A quick search on the net produced this link to a brochure with very sparse information, so I was very curious to hear first hand from someone I trust thanks again!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Jef74400

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Here just to show . Watch the cross bar at 1/60 no motion at 1/40th you see ghosting and this is the worst shutter speed is 1/40th the 1/30 and 1/20th shutter speeds extremely slightly there but not worth avoiding. Yes it's that slight we are in microscope land.We need to remember this is a 300mm lens and i do not see this in the 150D. Frankly i think damn good over the AFDIII by a country mile.

Full image at 1/60th, than crop and than 1/40th crop. I will add 1/20th than 1/8 it is just as clean as the 1/60th. Personally i will not avoid 1/20th or 1/15th. not worth thinking about
    Thank's Guy, that's exactly what I am waiting for...
    I have too much troubles with the 645 AFII, P45 and the 210 and 300mm at low speed even with a heavy tripod...
    Best regard's
    Jeff

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anybody else noticed the substantial increase in battery life for the DF? Mine came with 6 Sony Alkalines and I'm now at 225 exposures with no sign of expiring. (My AFD III struggled to get 100 exposures from Eneloops.)

I wonder if it's the lack of any film advance mechanics that account for this?

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

YES I will know more next week shooting all day long for several days

Post Thanks / Like

I would really like to know if it kills the batteries when not in use like the AFDII does!

Anyone noticed this yet?

I occasionally forget to pull out the battery holder when I put the AFDII in the bag and the next time I go to use it, dead as can be..... I am using NiMh so it's not a huge deal. Really just a minor annoyance but it would be nice if the DF does not have the same problem.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No, it does not kill batteries like the AFD II. Mine have been in for 18 days and 225 exposures and the "gauge" still shows "full".
    I'll let you know when they die!
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From my time with the Phaseone 645AF, I noticed that you need to set the battery type correctly in the Custom Function if you want to get better battery life. I believe this has to do with the fact that Alkaline cells are 1.5V whilst NiMh are 1.2V. Thus far, battery life on my 645DF using NiMh has been great. The battery chamber on my 645DF is also tighter than on my 645AF body.

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone tell me if the cable release locks/screws to the body? I've never found a way to keep the release from falling out on the 645II and the Mamiya release is not threaded. I assume there is a new release for this body. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

No, it does not kill batteries like the AFD II. Mine have been in for 18 days and 225 exposures and the "gauge" still shows "full".
    I'll let you know when they die!
    Bill

Thanks for the info Bill! One more thing to look forward to when I can finally get one.

Happy New Year!

Ron

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Goh View Post
    From my time with the Phaseone 645AF, I noticed that you need to set the battery type correctly in the Custom Function if you want to get better battery life. I believe this has to do with the fact that Alkaline cells are 1.5V whilst NiMh are 1.2V. Thus far, battery life on my 645DF using NiMh has been great. The battery chamber on my 645DF is also tighter than on my 645AF body.
    Battery Life is not effected. Only the accuracy of the "low battery" indicator.

Personal Work

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ernst View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the cable release locks/screws to the body? I've never found a way to keep the release from falling out on the 645II and the Mamiya release is not threaded. I assume there is a new release for this body. Thanks!
    Tim,

I assume you mean for the Mamiya electro release? There should be a spring-clip on the newer one that kind of has it click in place -- mine seems to hold pretty well, but as you suggest, it's not great: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gnetic_1m.html

If you use a release a lot, the better solution IMO is the wireless remote since there is no tension on the cable for the receiver end. Also great for product work when the cam is up on a ladder as the range is like 90 feet. Anyway, I happen to have one and I almost never use it, so would be willing to sell it if you're interested -- I'd let it go for say 60% of new or $300: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Set_RS402.html

Cheers,
    Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the electro release and find it HARDER to detach from the DF! In fact I leave it on almost all the time. I bought the long version because it's harder to lose - I mislaid a couple of the shorter ones in the field and it was getting expensive!

Happy New Year, everybody,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    Battery Life is not effected. Only the accuracy of the "low battery" indicator.

Personal Work
    Thanks for clarifying this for me Doug. Appreciate it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Has anyone been able to operate the "Interval Timer" on the DF? (I assume this is for time-lapse photography.)

Page 59 of the manual (the electronic one, I don't have a paper version) describes the process. It talks of the "interval button"; the illustration shows the self-timer button. It also talks of turning the front dial to the "repeat" position. I can find no such position - all I can get is the self-timer, which works just fine.

Could it be that the manual is describing something the camera cannot in fact do? (The manual I have is V 0.9 "pre release")

Anyone any wiser on this?

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if this has to do with the fact that the current hardware/software leaves the camera unable to power up the back. Since most of the time the back's power saving setting is set to power off automatically, that would prohibit time lapse automation. I can only foresee this working in a tethered/always on scenario.

(btw I think that since we now have a body that is totally designed for this back that it's ridiculous for us to have to power on both independently!)

I haven't even tried time lapse work on my D3 yet, which is quite easy.... hmm, I think I need an excuse to try it out!

-CB

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Jack - I assume the wireless remote still does not have a threaded attachment, or does it? If not then I'm back to square one anyway with the thing falling out and no good way to tape it. I attach my cable release once and never take it off since I use it for every shot, but the Mamiya electro one is not threaded, even though the socket on the camera is - I'm wondering if anyone makes a threaded cable release for this camera? If anyone knows I would love to hear about it. Doesn't sound like there is one available for the new camera either, is this correct? Thanks for any info!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ernst View Post
    Thanks for the info Jack - I assume the wireless remote still does not have a threaded attachment, or does it? If not then I'm back to square one anyway with the thing falling out and no good way to tape it.
    Tim,

The electro cables are supposed snap into those threads -- perhaps you're not pushing it in hard enough, or perhaps the clip end of your cable is worn? At any rate, since the wireless receiver mounts to the flash shoe on the camera (has it's own hot shoe on top so you can still flash), the cable isn't subjected to any tensions since it moves as one unit with the camera body. Make sense?
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jack. I think I've had the same issue with my release ever since it was new so probably is not a worn issue, although I also have another new one that I will try and see if it works any better. I am pushing it in all the way, and also have it taped up as best I can, but it doesn't hold all the time. I don't understand why the camera is threaded but the release is not. The only real way to keep one of these in place day in and day out is via a threaded match (like, for instance, the Nikon 10-pin). Since I use a release for every shot I've ever taken with this camera, there is never a reason to remove the release. I see folks doing that all the time with other cameras (plugging a release in every time they shoot, then removing it after every time they shoot) and wonder why! Guess I'm weird that way (not a guess, just fact) I was hoping that perhaps they had solved this problem with the new Phase body - threaded camera and threaded release - but I've still not heard from anyone if this is the case or not. I don't have a dealer anywhere near me to ask but was hoping one of the friendly dealers here would be able to chime in....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm, well I guess that was my point: while it doesn't feel perfectly secure, I've never had my electro release fall out, and in fact have to tug it a bit to free it from the camera. But then I don't leave it in when I put my camera back in my bag either...
    Jack