Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Phaseone 645DF - got mine today

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Phaseone 645DF - got mine today

Hmmm, I guess that was my point too - why take the time and bother to insert the cable release and then remove it each and every time you take your camera out of the bag? (not to mention wear and tear on the connection) The camera is designed for a secure threaded fit, just like a Nikon 10-pin, so no reason to ever remove the cable release if you use it all the time. My new release fell out after about a week when I first bought the camera and phase back three years ago, and I've had to keep it taped ever since to keep it from falling out. I just put in another new one today and will see how long it takes before it falls out. Perhaps someone will make a threaded release one of these years to match the threads on the camera, but I realize not all of these things use common sense. Thanks for your input!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ernst View Post
    Hmmm, I guess that was my point too - why take the time and bother to insert the cable release and then remove it each and every time you take your camera out of the bag? (not to mention wear and tear on the connection) The camera is designed for a secure threaded fit, just like a Nikon 10-pin, so no reason to ever remove the cable release if you use it all the time. My new release fell out after about a week when I first bought the camera and phase back three years ago, and I've had to keep it taped ever since to keep it from falling out. I just put in another new one today and will see how long it takes before it falls out. Perhaps someone will make a threaded release one of these years to match the threads on the camera, but I realize not all of these things use common sense. Thanks for your input!
    Tim,
    There appear to be several threaded "plunger-type" cable releases for the 645AF/AFD cameras on Ebay. (no experience with those)

The Electromagnetic cable release for the Mamiya 645AF/AFD/AFDII/AFDIII/Phase 645AF is more reliable and worth the investment. The socket spring release holds the cable in well. I use a spacer block on my L-bracket, so leave my electromagnetic cable release attached to the camera, removing it only when necessary.

The RRS L bracket is a bit bettered engineered than the Kirk L bracket.---the RRS L bracket allows easier access to the socket release ring on the electromagnetic cable release when attached to the body.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

UPDATE ON BATTERY LIFE!

I've now reached 325 shots on the DF, and the "gauge" still says full! And this is mostly shooting in quite cold temperatures, well below freezing.

Wow!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, the electromagnetic cable release is what I've been using for three years - it won't stay in and falls out frequently no matter which of my L brackets I use (during a typical day in the woods I may remove/replace my camera to/from the camera bag 35-40 times or more and I don't think anything less than a threaded release would ever stay put through all of that, day in and day out). I still can't believe they don't make a threaded release since the body is already threaded to accept it. Oh well. The plunger type is kind of going backwards and does not allow as smooth a release as the electronic ones do.

I think this dead horse may be beat enough - I really was just wondering if the new Phase One body being talked about in this thread was any better in this regard, but it would appear to not have a threaded release either. No need to upgrade for me...Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim:

One last comment on this dead horse, because I have some new info regarding this (). Since I simply could not understand your complaint, I confirmed something:

I can lift my complete Phase camera with 80 and P65+ back mounted by the BLACK part of the connector plug for the electro-release when it's mounted to my body! (I didn't try lifting by the cord as I'm sure the weight would rip it out of the plug.)

I have to pull on the SILVER release barrel to have it release. I cannot imagine how a threaded connector could improve on this. I can only assume your spring clip is damaged and you need a new electro-release cable.

PS EDIT: Tim, it dawned on me one part of your original question wasn't answered, threading. I just checked, and my DF's socket does not appear to be threaded at all either.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh, and my DF body finally arrived this morning, and why I went home for lunch in the first place!

AF is REALLY fast, and shutter lag is REALLY short --- YEAH!!!!

Bill, VERY cool on the battery life!
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

my guilty feeling is gone now.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Oh, and my DF body finally arrived this morning, and why I went home for lunch in the first place!

AF is REALLY fast, and shutter lag is REALLY short --- YEAH!!!!

Bill, VERY cool on the battery life!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    my guilty feeling is gone now.
    ...now, if only mine would show up!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like

Paid for mine today . Hopefully Monday in hand. But I am feeling very guilty I went ahead of Jack and Bob. I have a gig that I really need this for. I will be paying for this one for a long time. Steaks , Hendriks , Kettle One my Johnny Walker Blue label.
    If that's the payback for being offended, I've got to figure out a way for you to piss me off, Guy

Can't wait to see some results from this set up.

I'm still working my way up the food chain.

Nikon pro
    soon to be Leica
    later to be MFDB

Mamiya was a fav of mine back in the film days.....

Congrats, guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL Just got a fresh Johnny Walker Blue bottle , looks like the Salton Sea workshop it will be heading for.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL Just got a fresh Johnny Walker Blue bottle , looks like the Salton Sea workshop it will be heading for.
    Hmmm... Excellent start!

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Figured you would like that. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I finally ordered my 645DF, 80mm and 55mm leaf lenses and new p40+ back on December 21. And yesterday they called to say the body, back and 80mm are in stock.
    But Britain is under a blanket of snow and I can't get it! Ouch!
    Going to be next week now!
    Eeek...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow, I'm so far away, but I have Remy Martin Cognac Louis XIII 750ML for xmas, so I will ok with out the Blue for now

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I am boycotting Johnny Walker Blue ever since I found out that they are using up all the Talisker 18 Year Old to boost their quantity of the more profitable Blue! Talisker 18 is getting more expensive all the time.
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, while you guys are busy disposing of shots of whisky (an important function, certainly) I'm still shooting my DF with the original set of AA cells. I'm now at 450 shots of photons and the "gauge" still shows full!

For fun, I pulled the batteries and applied a battery tester to them. It says "Good". It's beginning to look as if I'll get at least 500 shots....I'll keep you posted.

How are others doing in this respect?

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wish to get it but i am in Hasselblad line too bad, i tested this body while i was in NY and it is really unbelievable AF for MF, but i don't see myself to buy this anytime unless i buy a Phase One DB which is not happen anytime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    Well, while you guys are busy disposing of shots of whisky (an important function, certainly) I'm still shooting my DF with the original set of AA cells. I'm now at 450 shots of photons and the "gauge" still shows full!

For fun, I pulled the batteries and applied a battery tester to them. It says "Good". It's beginning to look as if I'll get at least 500 shots....I'll keep you posted.

How are others doing in this respect?

Bill
    Hi Bill:

I am experiencing the same thing. I started with a fresh charge on my rechargeables, where I used to get about 200 frames. I've been using that first set ever since I got the camera, have left them in the camera which used to drain them in about a week, and now have about 400 frames with them and they are still registering 2/3rds full(!)

Also, I notice greatly improved back battery performance, lasting about 2x as long. But I switched backs from the P45+ to the P65+ and am not sure how much that affects back battery performance...

I'll repeat that AF is much faster and shutter lag is notably shorter, so all in all have to say this is definitely a "two thumbs up" worthwhile body upgrade for any regular Mamiya shooter!

(In fact, with the pixel binning on my P65+ allowing a very usable 15MP of ISO 1600 coupled with the improved DF body performance, I am seriously rethinking if I even need my Canon kit.)
    Jack

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

(In fact, with the pixel binning on my P65+ allowing a very usable 15MP of ISO 1600 coupled with the improved DF body performance, I am seriously rethinking if I even need my Canon kit.)
    Shoot one volleyball match with it and you'll have your answer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    Shoot one volleyball match with it and you'll have your answer!
    Charlie,

Good point, and it probably would not suit me for that. But in my case, my youngest played her last VB game about a month ago, so my needs for uber-fast focus and decent framerates has been eliminated.

But the real point here is it's kind of YOUR fault I'm thinking this way in the first place! I loved working with your little Alpa in Oregon and it made me want a tech camera real bad

... So if I sold my Canon outfit, I'd have enough coin for a tech camera and a few lenses
    Jack

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay 0ver 1400 shots in Sensor Plus at pretty much at maximum shooting speed. This thing is just damn quick. Basically model walking down runway getting 4 or 5 shots at a good pace but I could push it even harder if needed. Battery level never went down after that many frames . I just for the sake of safety switched the next day but could have went more. I also noticed my P40+ back is taking less energy than my P30+as well. So my complete system now not only extremely fast but with a actual gain in battery life. So some serious improvements. The whole week I was really just flying except I DID have buffer issues with my older CF cards and just ordered the new 60mg EXtreme Sandisk cards. Actually I had camera shutdown as well which I really think the new firmware on the DF is setup for these new cards better but I will go back and test this out and hopefully it is not the DF itself but related directly at the cards.
    Bottom line any thoughts of a Canon or Nikon is completely gone and will proceed on building this system more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Heading home tomorrow so will give a mini review on the DF and P40+ with sensor plus. WOW

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Bill:

I am experiencing the same thing. I started with a fresh charge on my rechargeables, where I used to get about 200 frames. I've been using that first set ever since I got the camera, have left them in the camera which used to drain them in about a week, and now have about 400 frames with them and they are still registering 2/3rds full(!)

Also, I notice greatly improved back battery performance, lasting about 2x as long. But I switched backs from the P45+ to the P65+ and am not sure how much that affects back battery performance...

I'll repeat that AF is much faster and shutter lag is notably shorter, so all in all have to say this is definitely a "two thumbs up" worthwhile body upgrade for any regular Mamiya shooter!

Yes, Jack, this body is a real winner! I'm now at 518 shots on the original AA cells...this is number 518, a postcard from frigid Ontario...
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill Caulfeild-Browne; 17th March 2010 at 17:39.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay a little OT but this is the P40+ at 1600 ISO with sensor plus. Much more of a report coming but a good tease. I am pretty much at defaults here since I was processing for speed at the time. Also back set for tungsten , typical stage tungsten lighting. I AM extremely pleased with these results. I might have even pushed these a little. Have to actually sit down at home on my 30 inch and reprocess for optimum results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

THIS IS MEDIUM FORMAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy

If I finally decide to upgrade to P40+ it'll be your fault!

Thanks for sharing these bud

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just got a 645AF how much is it to upgrade?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joe I think you have had to buy a new back and AFDIII to get the 1500 dollar upgrade price. Check with CI though to be sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay a little OT but this is the P40+ at 1600 ISO with sensor plus. Much more of a report coming but a good tease. I am pretty much at defaults here since I was processing for speed at the time. Also back set for tungsten , typical stage tungsten lighting. I AM extremely pleased with these results. I might have even pushed these a little. Have to actually sit down at home on my 30 inch and reprocess for optimum results.
    Hi Guy
    May I just check my understanding of the catwalk images? Using P40+/Sensor+ at ISO 1600 means they are the rough equivalent of 10MP? If that is so then those images seem amazingly clean and even the resolution (allowing for on line viewing...etc) looks pretty good. Can you confirm? Thx.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes they are 10 mpx raw files withSensor plus it bins them down 4 times . So from 40 to 10 and yes very clean ISO800 is amazingly good and 1600 is very acceptable

Post Thanks / Like

Guy
    thank you for posting these
    so how big are the raw files shot full res and then in sensor + megabit wise (aprox)
    Thanks in advance
    am

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well just got home from 10 days in LA. About a million things to catch up on but the Sensor Plus files are approx 11mgs each,. It varies slightly given data in image and on the full res the raws are between around 38 and 42 mgs . This is before any processing of course.

After processing 16 bit Tifs on Sensor Plus are 57mgs and full res 240.

Post Thanks / Like

THIS IS MEDIUM FORMAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Guy, the 645DF and P40+ sooooooo had your name all over it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea and those are handheld to boot. LOL