The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phaseone 645DF - got mine today

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
The new manual is in typical poorly worded translation, so it remains unclear. For sure we can swap the AFL and the AEL buttons front and rear, so we can move AFL to the rear, but what we don't know for sure is if one of the CF 12 options focuses before it locks. My guess is it will be the same as the current AFD3 body, sorry...
Please excuse me if I misunderstand what you are saying. I've been using the DF body for a while now.

With the DF body, you can set either the front or rear button to AF. I tried the rear button, but do not like the ergonomics of it, so I use the front button, and actually like that choice better. (that's the default).

You can also disable the shutter release from focusing. Once you've done this, pressing the AFL button will then focus the camera for you, not just lock the focus in place.

This is something I could never figure out how to do with the AFD3 body ... now I know why. It didn't do it.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Bill:

I think the whole setting the DF body from the P40/65+ backs needs a firmware update before being implemented.
That's too bad. I know Michael Reichmann was using this feature on a camera at PODAS , so I assumed they would get this implemented before shipping.

Unfortunately the only way to do a firmware update is shipping the body back. They are designing a grip/battery replacement that if you happen to own will allow updating your own firmware, but this is a ways out.

This would mean all DF owners would have to ship their bodies back to PhaseOne to get this really useful firmware upgrade. I guess it just wasn't ready for prime time and they just couldn't delay shipping any longer.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You can also disable the shutter release from focusing. Once you've done this, pressing the AFL button will then focus the camera for you, not just lock the focus in place.
Wayne, that's awesome news! But how do you disable the shutter focus?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Yes, Wayne, it was Michael who told me about the settings via the back - and I suspect you're right about the firmware. I'd have thought that all backs being shipped now should have had the latest installed.

I'll talk with my dealer tomorrow and report back!

Now, another question. The Configuration Menus incldes a screen "Camera Mode", with choice of Normal, Mode 1 and Mode 2. What are these?

Bill

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
That's too bad. I know Michael Reichmann was using this feature on a camera at PODAS , so I assumed they would get this implemented before shipping.

Unfortunately the only way to do a firmware update is shipping the body back. They are designing a grip/battery replacement that if you happen to own will allow updating your own firmware, but this is a ways out.

This would mean all DF owners would have to ship their bodies back to PhaseOne to get this really useful firmware upgrade. I guess it just wasn't ready for prime time and they just couldn't delay shipping any longer.
Mind you, that is only what I've heard -- I don't have my DF body yet so I don't know for sure. Maybe Bill can confirm when he gets his working.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yes, Wayne, it was Michael who told me about the settings via the back - and I suspect you're right about the firmware. I'd have thought that all backs being shipped now should have had the latest installed.

I'll talk with my dealer tomorrow and report back!

Now, another question. The Configuration Menus incldes a screen "Camera Mode", with choice of Normal, Mode 1 and Mode 2. What are these?

Bill
I had to ask too -- Normal is normal, Mode 1 is if you're using Rollei electro shutters and Mode 2 is if you are the Air Force and connecting the back to an aerial camera (seriously :D)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Paid for mine today . Hopefully Monday in hand. But I am feeling very guilty I went ahead of Jack and Bob. I have a gig that I really need this for. I will be paying for this one for a long time. Steaks , Hendriks , Kettle One my Johnny Walker Blue label.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Paid for mine today . Hopefully Monday in hand. But I am feeling very guilty I went ahead of Jack and Bob. I have a gig that I really need this for. I will be paying for this one for a long time. Steaks , Hendriks , Kettle One my Johnny Walker Blue label.
Well let's see -- a case of Hendricks, a Bottle of Johnny Blue and two or three steak dinners and I just may forgive you...

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Guy, you must get over these feelings of guilt - it's a dog eat dog world out there and if you've got the first bite in then you probably deserve to be the top dog.

After all, I'm ahead of most of you getting my DF and as I sit there looking at my shiny new kit, I don't feel the slightest twinge of guilt. And I'm savoring a nice single malt this evening as well. (I was at Ruth's Chris for a great steak last night too - and I don't feel guilty about that either.)

So either get therapy or just play the part of the soon-to-be Alpha male DF owner....
(It's a shame we live so far apart or we could get together for a shoot on Monday and invite Jack and Bob to come and watch.)

Bill

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Guy, you must get over these feelings of guilt - it's a dog eat dog world out there and if you've got the first bite in then you probably deserve to be the top dog.

After all, I'm ahead of most of you getting my DF and as I sit there looking at my shiny new kit, I don't feel the slightest twinge of guilt. And I'm savoring a nice single malt this evening as well. (I was at Ruth's Chris for a great steak last night too - and I don't feel guilty about that either.)

So either get therapy or just play the part of the soon-to-be Alpha male DF owner....
(It's a shame we live so far apart or we could get together for a shoot on Monday and invite Jack and Bob to come and watch.)

Bill
It is because Jack and I let him :D
oh, and we have no time to watch, we are too busy doing....

Guy Mancuso

LOL Yes Bob and Jack graciously let me jump in front but that does not mean I am off the hook for one second .This WILL cost me in the long run. LOL

I just hope another shipment hits the docks soon

KETCH ROSSI

Ha ha, I really wish I could keep my DF, since I know that by selling it, I'l miss been part of this crazy P1 shooting Gang :D, and btw for all those steak dinners I might have as well let you jump in front of me Guy, LOL

But I truly hope we can organize that nice Las Vegas Work Shop once I reo-open KETCHFRAME, and have all the new BIG toys brought over so that I can properly be tough how to use them and have them for few days of fun before choosing so to do things right this time around, before spending 50K on a system!!

BTW, I'm sure you guys know that Vegas has some really mean Steak houses..

Guy Mancuso

ONE word fast and I just can't feel the lag at all. I am going to run a shutter test tomorrow. And I need to figure out exactly some of the custom functions. Now I know many may not think much of this upgraded body but coming from a AFD,AFDII and a AFDIII this one sings and certainly worth every penny. All the niggles I had are gone. With the DF and the new P40+ i am one screaming happy camper. I am noticing a nice improvement in all area's

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
ONE word fast and I just can't feel the lag at all. I am going to run a shutter test tomorrow. And I need to figure out exactly some of the custom functions. Now I know many may not think much of this upgraded body but coming from a AFD,AFDII and a AFDIII this one sings and certainly worth every penny. All the niggles I had are gone. With the DF and the new P40+ i am one screaming happy camper. I am noticing a nice improvement in all area's
Oh, okay... Rub it in, rub it in...

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: