The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phaseone 645DF - got mine today

Tim Ernst

Hmmm, I guess that was my point too - why take the time and bother to insert the cable release and then remove it each and every time you take your camera out of the bag? (not to mention wear and tear on the connection) The camera is designed for a secure threaded fit, just like a Nikon 10-pin, so no reason to ever remove the cable release if you use it all the time. My new release fell out after about a week when I first bought the camera and phase back three years ago, and I've had to keep it taped ever since to keep it from falling out. I just put in another new one today and will see how long it takes before it falls out. Perhaps someone will make a threaded release one of these years to match the threads on the camera, but I realize not all of these things use common sense. Thanks for your input!

kdphotography

Hmmm, I guess that was my point too - why take the time and bother to insert the cable release and then remove it each and every time you take your camera out of the bag? (not to mention wear and tear on the connection) The camera is designed for a secure threaded fit, just like a Nikon 10-pin, so no reason to ever remove the cable release if you use it all the time. My new release fell out after about a week when I first bought the camera and phase back three years ago, and I've had to keep it taped ever since to keep it from falling out. I just put in another new one today and will see how long it takes before it falls out. Perhaps someone will make a threaded release one of these years to match the threads on the camera, but I realize not all of these things use common sense. Thanks for your input!
Tim,
There appear to be several threaded "plunger-type" cable releases for the 645AF/AFD cameras on Ebay. (no experience with those)

The Electromagnetic cable release for the Mamiya 645AF/AFD/AFDII/AFDIII/Phase 645AF is more reliable and worth the investment. The socket spring release holds the cable in well. I use a spacer block on my L-bracket, so leave my electromagnetic cable release attached to the camera, removing it only when necessary.

The RRS L bracket is a bit bettered engineered than the Kirk L bracket.---the RRS L bracket allows easier access to the socket release ring on the electromagnetic cable release when attached to the body.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

UPDATE ON BATTERY LIFE!

I've now reached 325 shots on the DF, and the "gauge" still says full! And this is mostly shooting in quite cold temperatures, well below freezing.

Wow!

Bill

Tim Ernst

Yup, the electromagnetic cable release is what I've been using for three years - it won't stay in and falls out frequently no matter which of my L brackets I use (during a typical day in the woods I may remove/replace my camera to/from the camera bag 35-40 times or more and I don't think anything less than a threaded release would ever stay put through all of that, day in and day out). I still can't believe they don't make a threaded release since the body is already threaded to accept it. Oh well. The plunger type is kind of going backwards and does not allow as smooth a release as the electronic ones do.

I think this dead horse may be beat enough - I really was just wondering if the new Phase One body being talked about in this thread was any better in this regard, but it would appear to not have a threaded release either. No need to upgrade for me...Thanks guys!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Tim:

One last comment on this dead horse, because I have some new info regarding this :)D). Since I simply could not understand your complaint, I confirmed something:

I can lift my complete Phase camera with 80 and P65+ back mounted by the BLACK part of the connector plug for the electro-release when it's mounted to my body! (I didn't try lifting by the cord as I'm sure the weight would rip it out of the plug.)

I have to pull on the SILVER release barrel to have it release. I cannot imagine how a threaded connector could improve on this. I can only assume your spring clip is damaged and you need a new electro-release cable.

PS EDIT: Tim, it dawned on me one part of your original question wasn't answered, threading. I just checked, and my DF's socket does not appear to be threaded at all either.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Oh, and my DF body finally arrived this morning, and why I went home for lunch in the first place!

AF is REALLY fast, and shutter lag is REALLY short --- YEAH!!!!

Bill, VERY cool on the battery life!

Paid for mine today . Hopefully Monday in hand. But I am feeling very guilty I went ahead of Jack and Bob. I have a gig that I really need this for. I will be paying for this one for a long time. Steaks , Hendriks , Kettle One my Johnny Walker Blue label.
If that's the payback for being offended, I've got to figure out a way for you to piss me off, Guy :ROTFL:

Can't wait to see some results from this set up.

I'm still working my way up the food chain.

Nikon pro
soon to be Leica
later to be MFDB

Mamiya was a fav of mine back in the film days.....

Congrats, guys!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
LOL Just got a fresh Johnny Walker Blue bottle , looks like the Salton Sea workshop it will be heading for.:D

adamduckworth

I finally ordered my 645DF, 80mm and 55mm leaf lenses and new p40+ back on December 21. And yesterday they called to say the body, back and 80mm are in stock.
But Britain is under a blanket of snow and I can't get it! Ouch!
Going to be next week now!
Eeek...

carstenw

I am boycotting Johnny Walker Blue ever since I found out that they are using up all the Talisker 18 Year Old to boost their quantity of the more profitable Blue! Talisker 18 is getting more expensive all the time.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Well, while you guys are busy disposing of shots of whisky (an important function, certainly) I'm still shooting my DF with the original set of AA cells. I'm now at 450 shots of photons and the "gauge" still shows full!

For fun, I pulled the batteries and applied a battery tester to them. It says "Good". It's beginning to look as if I'll get at least 500 shots....I'll keep you posted.

How are others doing in this respect?

Bill

Professional

I wish to get it but i am in Hasselblad line too bad, i tested this body while i was in NY and it is really unbelievable AF for MF, but i don't see myself to buy this anytime unless i buy a Phase One DB which is not happen anytime.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well, while you guys are busy disposing of shots of whisky (an important function, certainly) I'm still shooting my DF with the original set of AA cells. I'm now at 450 shots of photons and the "gauge" still shows full!

For fun, I pulled the batteries and applied a battery tester to them. It says "Good". It's beginning to look as if I'll get at least 500 shots....I'll keep you posted.

How are others doing in this respect?

Bill
Hi Bill:

I am experiencing the same thing. I started with a fresh charge on my rechargeables, where I used to get about 200 frames. I've been using that first set ever since I got the camera, have left them in the camera which used to drain them in about a week, and now have about 400 frames with them and they are still registering 2/3rds full(!)

Also, I notice greatly improved back battery performance, lasting about 2x as long. But I switched backs from the P45+ to the P65+ and am not sure how much that affects back battery performance...

I'll repeat that AF is much faster and shutter lag is notably shorter, so all in all have to say this is definitely a "two thumbs up" worthwhile body upgrade for any regular Mamiya shooter!

(In fact, with the pixel binning on my P65+ allowing a very usable 15MP of ISO 1600 coupled with the improved DF body performance, I am seriously rethinking if I even need my Canon kit.)

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
(In fact, with the pixel binning on my P65+ allowing a very usable 15MP of ISO 1600 coupled with the improved DF body performance, I am seriously rethinking if I even need my Canon kit.)
Shoot one volleyball match with it and you'll have your answer!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Shoot one volleyball match with it and you'll have your answer!
Charlie,

Good point, and it probably would not suit me for that. But in my case, my youngest played her last VB game about a month ago, so my needs for uber-fast focus and decent framerates has been eliminated.

But the real point here is it's kind of YOUR fault I'm thinking this way in the first place! I loved working with your little Alpa in Oregon and it made me want a tech camera real bad :ROTFL:

... So if I sold my Canon outfit, I'd have enough coin for a tech camera and a few lenses :D