The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leveling base and new tripod head ?

T

tetsrfun

Is there any way to graft a RRS Lever Action QR clamp onto this head that makes sense?
I just pulled a RC4 plate out of my "junk" box. Securing an RRS QR lever clamp shouldn't be much of a problem. The transverse "slot" in the plate needs to be enlarged a bit for the 1/4" 20 screw. If you have a dual mount clamp then just screw in from the bottom of the RC4; if not then screw from the top with a 1/4" inch nut in the bottom of the RC4 plate. I guess another option would be to drill and tap the RC4 plate for the 1/4" 20 screw but the RC4 plate is cast Magnesium? and seems pretty soft.

If the 410 is a serious consideration for you then I would be happy to get out the tools and see what is the best option.

Steve

T

tetsrfun

Addendum:

I just found my old Manfrotto JTL head with RC4 quick release. The 3/16" screw that come with the RC4, will screw directly into the bottom of an RRS dual mount QR clamp; no modifications needed.

Steve

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I've modfied the EZ Leveler...
I removed the rubber/cork, turned it upside down and mounted it directly on the center column of the tripod. So no pseudo dumping anymore and one component less.
Looks good. I'll see if it works out ...
Thomas

I can understand the removal of the cork plate , but why do you use
the leveler upside down ?

P

philipmccormick

Re: ... geared head ...

Sorry for the digression:

Is there any way to graft a RRS Lever Action QR clamp onto this head that makes sense? Are there any other geared heads in this load rating range (I don't need and couldn't afford an A-S Cube for my gear...) that do not have a built-in QR system?
Kirk do a an arca type plate specifically for putting on top of the manfrotto RC4 plate, but that kind of defeats the purpose as you're still relying on the unconvincing manfrotto quick release system.

T

tetsrfun

Re: ... geared head ...

Kirk do a an arca type plate specifically for putting on top of the manfrotto RC4 plate, but that kind of defeats the purpose as you're still relying on the unconvincing manfrotto quick release system.
FWIW...RRS B2-LLR-II clamp mounted on RC4 system. Very stable with moderately heavy gear. The RC4 plate and clamp interface seems to be very rigid, the problem are the "clunky" plates that mount on the camera. The Manfrotto RC2 quick release system is pure junk, IMHO.

Steve

Last edited:

Godfrey

Thanks for the responses on my question regarding the RC4 plate vs A-S plate. The Kirk adapter seems a viable option.

I'm in the market for a geared head, but it's not a priority as yet.
No rush ... I'll continue considering options for a bit. :)

billbunton

Subscriber Member
If you want to shoot a panopramic up or down, you need to use the turn table below the part which points the camera up or down. So you would need the Cubes lower turn table. However if now the cube itself is not level, it doesn't help at all.
No you don't need a leveling head, if you have a two-way pano setup like the one from RRS, which I do. It mounts on the cube, I can use the cube to do leveling, rotate at the top turntable, and the pano setup lets me tilt the camera up or down. Plus, I get nodal point adjustment as a bonus.

Christopher

No you don't need a leveling head, if you have a two-way pano setup like the one from RRS, which I do. It mounts on the cube, I can use the cube to do leveling, rotate at the top turntable, and the pano setup lets me tilt the camera up or down. Plus, I get nodal point adjustment as a bonus.

Well yes, if you use a panoramic head, than you don't need a second leveling place, however it wasn't really the question.