Site Sponsors

Thread: Leveling base and new tripod head ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leveling base and new tripod head ?

Well I get straight to the point. I am looking for a new leveling base and tripod head. The leveling base is the most important part. It should be used with both of my Gitzo tripods (2 series and 5 series) Right now I have a old leveling plate which is most probably would more call a ballhead. What options are out there ? I have searched a bit but haven't found to much. Am I missing something ?

Now the seconds part is a new head, I am a little sick of ballheads and while I will keep mine, I'm looking for something different. The first stuff that comes to mind is the Cube, which won't happen. I don't see myself spending 1700EURs for it...... Than there is the Man. 405 which costs around 400 which i think is more realistic. I probably would have bought it already, however I really hate the cheap top of that thing. I mean Is the quick release really stable once one puts a RRS clamp on top ?

Besides these two options are there any more ?

I would appreciate your input, experiences and opinions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leveling base and new tripod head ?

Acratech makes a nice leveling base. It's relatively inexpensive ($149) and light weight (1/2 pound). http://acratech.net/product.php?prod...3&cat=2&page=1

I use mine with a Really Right Stuff panning clamp. http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Item...=PCL%2D001&Tp=

Both of these items are well made and work well. The only downside, compared to the Cube, is that you have to fiddle a bit to get things level; no geared adjustments. But you get a nice setup that allows you to level your camera and then pan if you want. You can use these with or without a tripod head. I don't normally use a head at al. (Or, as some have said, I don't use my head at all.)
    Last edited by stephengilbert; 14th December 2009 at 06:50.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gitzo 3870 Ball head and RRS panning clamp. That is what i use and it works really well. The Gitzo has friction so when going left or right it is very hard to push it over to the sides , but up and down it is very easy to work. Reason I like this is I never had a head with camera on it tip over which is about as nerve racking as someone with finger nails on a blackboard . You should really read about how it works

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    ..... I am looking for a new leveling base and tripod head.... sick of ballheads......
    For what it's worth [I'm a stray here and don't belong] I have stripped the Manfrotto levelling base from it's clunky QTVR rig and have it underneath the smaller of Manfrotto's geared heads. I can't stand ball-heads, I love geared heads, my arrangement [on a Manfrotto tripod] suits me fine and it makes a very efficient kit for how I shoot [which includes multi-row panoramas]. Whether the small geared head is suitable for your camera gear; you may already know.

.............. Chris

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the Acratech, and while it is nice for what it is, it is a ballhead with all the advantages and disadvantages that implies. That means that when you tighten it, it moves ever so slightly. If I were buying a leveling head today, I might look at the Manfrotto one listed above. If you decide on the Acratech, I will sell you mine. It is in perfect shape, other than possibly a little wear on the top and bottom plates, where it meets my ballhead and tripod. If you are ever in Berlin, drop me a note and you can have a look at it.

I have the RRS BH-55 and while it is nice, it is a ballhead, with all the advantages and disadvantages that implies. That means that when you tighten it, it moves ever so slightly. Get the drift? I am buying a 405 tomorrow. If you are ever in Berlin, you can drop by and take a look at it, if you want to try before you buy. Kirk offers a special adapter which is like a Manfrotto QR plate with a built-in Arca-style clamp, and that is what I will get when my money frees up a little again, after my recent shopping spree.

http://www.kirkphoto.com/SQRC-3271_M...ase_Clamp.html
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the Acratech Levelling Base and find it to work well for me. I usually use a ball head (Acratech Ultimate Ball Head or Markins Q3) on it.

For more precise work, I plan to get one of the Manfrotto geared heads, and fit a RRS focusing rail assembly to it. I'd love a Cube but can't justify the cost for my needs ... the Manfrotto heads and RRS focusing rail are good enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the Gitzo Leveling Base and the Gitzo 2270 pan tilt head on a Series 3 Gitzo tripod. The level base and pan tilt head works great together. Still alot to be said for a well made pan tilt head.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use the Gitzo leveling base under the Arca Swiss cube.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for all the input. I think my first step will be to get the gitzo or manfrotto leveling base and try it with my burzynski head. If that still isn't enough perhaps I really have to look at the cube :@

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for all the input. I think my first step will be to get the gitzo or manfrotto leveling base and try it with my burzynski head. If that still isn't enough perhaps I really have to look at the cube :@
    there's another leveling base by Nodal Ninja:
    http://www.nodalninja.com/products/ezlevelers.html
    http://www.pano-store.de/shop_shpLvl...oduct&prdID=95
    It's smaller and lighter than the Manfrotto and the screws are likely smoother to handle.

BTW: which view camera are you using?
    Last edited by thomas; 25th December 2009 at 05:44.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    there's another leveling base by Nodal Ninja:
    http://www.nodalninja.com/products/ezlevelers.html
    http://www.pano-store.de/shop_shpLvl...oduct&prdID=95
    It's smaller and lighter than the Manfrotto and the screws are likely smoother to handle.

BTW: which view camera are you using?
    does anybody already have experience with this leveling base?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    I've ordered one. I will come back on this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In my experience three screw leveling bases are a POA to level. Surveying instruments use four screws.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    In my experience three screw leveling bases are a POA to level. Surveying instruments use four screws.
    Exactly -- just like trying to level a tripod to begin with
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

depends on how you mount it! when it's mounted straight aligned with the tripod legs (respectively aligned with the camera) you use the 2 rear screws for horizontal leveling and the front screw for vertical leveling. it's easy, fast and accurate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    I have the Gitzo Leveling Base and the Gitzo 2270 pan tilt head on a Series 3 Gitzo tripod. The level base and pan tilt head works great together. Still alot to be said for a well made pan tilt head.

Gary
    I had one of those Gitzo leveling bases (221?). It's not very strong - after a few weeks in the field it was all bent and useless. I also don't like the construction with the cork pad - not enough transmission of vibration from the camera down to the legs. It might be ok with a light setup but don't put anything really substantial on it. I now use a Burzynski ball head as leveling base for my 8x10 monorail.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use the Gitzo setup for my Hasselblads and Pentax 67. For my 4x5 view cameras (Ebony 45SU and Sinar P), I use the wooden Berlebach 3032 Leveling Ball 2 section tripod with a Bogen 3049 Super Pro head. No center column and wood supposedly dampens vibrations about as good as anything out there.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

epends on how you mount it! . .
    But you usually can't align the tripod to the image axis on non-level ground because you put two legs downhill on an isocline and one leg (often shortened) uphill regardless of which way you are going to point the camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    But you usually can't align the tripod to the image axis on non-level ground because you put two legs downhill on an isocline and one leg (often shortened) uphill regardless of which way you are going to point the camera.
    either way. As long as one of the 3 screws is straight to the lens it will work fine; see for instance here:
    Last edited by thomas; 26th December 2009 at 16:29.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the Gitzo G2270m here. The movements of this head are so super-smooth you will hardly miss a geared head! I also have a Manfrotto 405, but I would choose the Gitzo over it any day.

Post Thanks / Like

Z1 DP have the top pan... no more need of a levelling head with that sort of ball...

http://www.snap-rent.de/3D/Monoball-...hnellspann.mov

P0 is a cheaper alternative !
    http://www.arca-shop.de/Monoballs/Mo...tung::918.html

martin

I use a cf 5 series with the Manfrotto 519 fluid head... dial in the counterbalance exactly for up to 5kg, sliding plate approx 60mm (good for macro), no need for the levelling base, just pop in the 75mm bowl. ...set the pan/tilt drag to max, then click...the fluid head minimises transfer of both leg-borne vibes to the head as well as camera-induced vibes to the legs, and both have their influence, I've found. Brand new around 800AU, half the cost of a good used hassie lens, with the potential for top performance every shot...reasonable, considering the great lengths and costs we go to for pic perfection...however, stability doesn't come cheap wrt weight if you can handle 5.5kg with the legs. Only drawback, though not with my 6x6, is the need for a vertical bracket, which I will tinker on for my 645 in due course...I'm sure there are other limitations for different users, but so far it suits me fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    mine was delivered today.
    It's a nice leveling base.
    Small, light, and very, very smooth to handle.
    It levels out up to around 10°. Carries 10Kg.
    The Manfrotto is much heavier (three times heavier), much bigger and more limited with regard to the leveling degree (around 5° I guess).
    So this is a very nice addition and I will keep it.

What I don't like - you have to counter the screws otherwise stablity will suffer. So you use the bigger (lower) screws for leveling and the smaller (upper) screws to counter the plate:

The Manfrotto is heavy and bulky but you don't have to counter the screws - it's always rock solid.
    But the screws are very stiff (though you can adjust them a little bit).

I am going to use the EZ-Leveler II under my Gitzo ballhead when I use the MF camera and need precise leveling (occasionally just with a Novoflex pano base instead of the Gitzo head). Seems to work great so far.
    And I am using the Gitzo as all other ballheads and/or camera bases have these ****ty bubble levels that you can't see when the camera is mounted.
    The Gitzo has 2 (actually 3) tube levels. So with the leveling base under the Gitzo head leveling is fast and easy ... and very accurate.
    Last edited by thomas; 30th December 2009 at 15:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've modfied the EZ Leveler...
    I removed the rubber/cork, turned it upside down and mounted it directly on the center column of the tripod. So no pseudo dumping anymore and one component less.
    Looks good. I'll see if it works out ...

Jordan_Miller

For those users of Gitzo Systematic tripods, there is a great leveling system available from Gitzo & Manfrotto, that uses common video-based support accessories.

With Gitzo's Systematic tripods, you have a removable column / flat plate to which you would normally secure your tripod head. As I am sure most of you have found, using the flat plate, instead of the movable column, provides a much more rigid, and secure camera platform.

For some time now, Gitzo has made both 75mm and 100mm 'Ball Adapters' for use with the systematic series of tripods (including Series N˚ 3, 4, & 5). The adapters provide a round, concave socket which acts as the leveling base.

To compliment the above tripod adapter, Manfrotto offers both 75mm and 100mm 'Half Ball Adapters' which are designed to be secured to the bottom of your tripod head. These half ball adapters act as the 'ball' that fits in the 'socket' of the Gitzo ball adapter. These half ball adapters included the necessary handle and locking mechanism to secure the entire adapter, tripod head, and camera to the tripod.

This type of head and tripod configuration has been in use in motion picture industry for close 50 years, and was adapted by the video/ENG very early on. The 75mm and 100mm specs are common to both. These adapter configurations offer tremendous leveling capability, while maintaining and extremely rigid camera platform, capable of supporting cameras weighing well over the tripods maximum load capacity.

Here are some links to the adapters I have described:

Gitzo GS5320V100 Systematic 100mm Ball Adapter
    http://gitzo.com/cms/site/gitzo/acce...ode=GS5320V100

Gitzo GS5320V75 Systematic 75mm Ball Adapter
    http://gitzo.com/cms/site/gitzo/acce...code=GS5320V75

Manfrotto 500BALL 100mm Half Ball Head Adapter
    http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/...sf=107&child=2

Manfrotto 500BALLSH 100mm Half Ball Head Adapter - Short handle

Manfrotto 520BALLSH 75mm Half Ball Head Adapter

Manfrotto 520BALLSH 75mm Half Ball Head Adapter - Short handle

Having used most every leveling base out there, including the Gitzo GS5121LVL, Acratech Base, Manfrotto 3416, and a few others. All of which have either been worn out (as mentioned in earlier posts), or I have found them to be just plain slow and cumbersome. These 'half ball' solution using the above components, have proven to be one of most durable, and straight-forward systems available. Not to mention this is not adding any additional height to the tripod / head combination. If anything, it is lower profile, and brings the tripod head closer the legs.

I have used this system with all three series' of Gitzo tripods, and have found I prefer them with the N˚ 4/5 series tripods. It makes for a great setup when using and ARCA-SWISS Cube along with various technical cameras.

philipmccormick

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan_Miller View Post
    For those users of Gitzo Systematic tripods, there is a great leveling system available from Gitzo & Manfrotto, that uses common video-based support accessories.

With Gitzo's Systematic tripods, you have a removable column / flat plate to which you would normally secure your tripod head. As I am sure most of you have found, using the flat plate, instead of the movable column, provides a much more rigid, and secure camera platform.

For some time now, Gitzo has made both 75mm and 100mm 'Ball Adapters' for use with the systematic series of tripods (including Series N˚ 3, 4, & 5). The adapters provide a round, concave socket which acts as the leveling base.

To compliment the above tripod adapter, Manfrotto offers both 75mm and 100mm 'Half Ball Adapters' which are designed to be secured to the bottom of your tripod head. These half ball adapters act as the 'ball' that fits in the 'socket' of the Gitzo ball adapter. These half ball adapters included the necessary handle and locking mechanism to secure the entire adapter, tripod head, and camera to the tripod.

This type of head and tripod configuration has been in use in motion picture industry for close 50 years, and was adapted by the video/ENG very early on. The 75mm and 100mm specs are common to both. These adapter configurations offer tremendous leveling capability, while maintaining and extremely rigid camera platform, capable of supporting cameras weighing well over the tripods maximum load capacity.

Here are some links to the adapters I have described:

Gitzo GS5320V100 Systematic 100mm Ball Adapter
    http://gitzo.com/cms/site/gitzo/acce...ode=GS5320V100

Gitzo GS5320V75 Systematic 75mm Ball Adapter
    http://gitzo.com/cms/site/gitzo/acce...code=GS5320V75

Manfrotto 500BALL 100mm Half Ball Head Adapter

Manfrotto 500BALLSH 100mm Half Ball Head Adapter - Short handle

Manfrotto 520BALLSH 75mm Half Ball Head Adapter

Manfrotto 520BALLSH 75mm Half Ball Head Adapter - Short handle

Having used most every leveling base out there, including the Gitzo GS5121LVL, Acratech Base, Manfrotto 3416, and a few others. All of which have either been worn out (as mentioned in earlier posts), or I have found them to be just plain slow and cumbersome. These 'half ball' solution using the above components, have proven to be one of most durable, and straight-forward systems available. Not to mention this is not adding any additional height to the tripod / head combination. If anything, it is lower profile, and brings the tripod head closer the legs.

I have used this system with all three series' of Gitzo tripods, and have found I prefer them with the N˚ 4/5 series tripods. It makes for a great setup when using and ARCA-SWISS Cube along with various technical cameras.
    Hi folks, my first post on getDPI.

I know I'm resurrecting a pretty old thread here, but I've been reading this and am looking for a head set-up for my new systematic GT3541XLS.

Jordan, can you tell me if the above-mentioned arrangement with the video half-ball and adapter is definitely better/more stable than the Gitzo flat plate which comes with the tripod? And if so, how? Bearing in mind that you're adding a considerable weight versus the flat plate (especially with the 100mm combination and especially on a hike.)

Has anyone else used this set-up?

thanks,
    Philip

Has anyone

tetsrfun

I recently did a 5.8k road trip including Yosemite, JH, Yellowstone, Santa Fe, etc. My RRS leveling base and PCL-1 clamp stayed on the 'pod 95% of the time. This combination levels quickly, is low profile and light weight. It also is constructed using a "standard" 75mm bowl if video is a consideration. The RRS leveling base is compatible with the RRS TVC-33 and Gitzo series 3 tripods.

Steve

gigdagefg

I use the Arcatech leveling base which is light, cheap and user friendly. With it I use the cube which is totally worth the price because it make composition a joy rather than a wrestling match with a ball head.

Stanley

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use the cube and don't bother with a leveling head any more :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by billbunton View Post
    I use the cube and don't bother with a leveling head any more :-)
    Dead right . No additional leveling gear is required , no extra weight in your backpack and it is a joy to work with the CUBE .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Only true as long as you don't want to shoot panoramics which are not level.

philipmccormick

So if you want to shoot panoramics which are not level you would need an additional leveling base with your Cube/Multiflex (just bought a Multiflex, should be arriving today!)? I'm not sure what you mean by wanting to shoot panoramics which aren't level? And I thought one of the points about the Cube/Multiflex is that it doesn't need an extra leveling base for panoramics, no?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The CUBE has two turn tables , one on the base to the tripod and the other one is leveled below the QC clamp .
    Please explain your above statement in more detail .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you want to shoot a panopramic up or down, you need to use the turn table below the part which points the camera up or down. So you would need the Cubes lower turn table. However if now the cube itself is not level, it doesn't help at all.

I'm talking about panoramics if you are on a mountain and shoot down, or if you stand in a valley and want to shoot up. (or similiar)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't have enough time to explain it myself right now, but just take a look here. it explains the problem quite well.
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...ight=cube+porn

philipmccormick

Thanks for that link, Christopher, it's very useful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you want to shoot a panopramic up or down, you need to use the turn table below the part which points the camera up or down. So you would need the Cubes lower turn table. However if now the cube itself is not level, it doesn't help at all.

I'm talking about panoramics if you are on a mountain and shoot down, or if you stand in a valley and want to shoot up. (or similiar)
    Christopher

Understood and thank you . Great help .
    Although I do currently not shoot panos , it is worth to think about the EZ-LEVELER II and put the cube on top of it .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I had a bet with myself on when the first mention of the Cube would show and by whom.

Thanks to Jack the Cube Enabler I've been using one for over 18 months now and am very pleased. While my main landscape camera is a Cambo WRS1000 I have also started using a Leica M9. The Cambo also sits on the Cube and I have used the M9 as well although it just kinda looks funny sitting on top of the Cube.

There's been some discussion regarding using the Cube to do panorama work and I'll briefly jump in here to say it works as well.

The Cambo is perfect for panoramas as if offers the ability to flat stitch. You still need a level platform. I understand there's some concern regarding using the Cube if you have to focus upwards towards say a mountain or downhill towards a valley. I've done both while I was still shooting with a Phase AFD body. There's two axes of level, one horizontal the other vertical. You need to first ensure the Cube is centered on both axes. You'll be either too high or too low depending on the subject. Keeping the Cube centered horizontal you can move the vertical alignment up or down without affecting the horizontal level. It isn't perfect however it can be very close. The only way to achieve a near perfect panorama using multiple images is by the use of a technical camera.

I'll add one other suggestion. Total level the Cube then shoot a series of images left to right. Raise the head (keeping the horizontal level) then repeat your images. Lower the head below the center and do another series. You'll end up with 3-rows of images that can then be stitched into a huge panorama. The controls are all there with plenty of witness marks so you can repeat the image position for each row; all you need to do is plan ahead and do it slow. I've stopped doing this with the Cambo however I've done it with the Phase body as well as a Canon 1DsIII and played with it using the M9.

One other thought here on the Cube. It's heavy and expensive however it's replaced everything I ever used in the field.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

... geared head ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    ... I have stripped the Manfrotto levelling base from it's clunky QTVR rig and have it underneath the smaller of Manfrotto's geared heads. ...
    Sorry for the digression:

I presume you mean the Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head. I've been looking at one of these for a bit ... Ball heads work best for me in the field, but for more precise work I'd like a geared head. It seem about the right size and weight for what I need.

Only thing I don't like about this one is the RC4 quick release system built into it. All my tripod equipment is organized around Arca-Swiss type QR plates and clamps.

Is there any way to graft a RRS Lever Action QR clamp onto this head that makes sense? Are there any other geared heads in this load rating range (I don't need and couldn't afford an A-S Cube for my gear...) that do not have a built-in QR system?

Regards a leveling base, I had the Acratech and it seemed to work beautifully, loved the fit and finish. But I found I didn't really need it and never actually used it in the field.

tetsrfun

Is there any way to graft a RRS Lever Action QR clamp onto this head that makes sense?
    I just pulled a RC4 plate out of my "junk" box. Securing an RRS QR lever clamp shouldn't be much of a problem. The transverse "slot" in the plate needs to be enlarged a bit for the 1/4" 20 screw. If you have a dual mount clamp then just screw in from the bottom of the RC4; if not then screw from the top with a 1/4" inch nut in the bottom of the RC4 plate. I guess another option would be to drill and tap the RC4 plate for the 1/4" 20 screw but the RC4 plate is cast Magnesium? and seems pretty soft.

If the 410 is a serious consideration for you then I would be happy to get out the tools and see what is the best option.

Steve

tetsrfun

Addendum:

I just found my old Manfrotto JTL head with RC4 quick release. The 3/16" screw that come with the RC4, will screw directly into the bottom of an RRS dual mount QR clamp; no modifications needed.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    I've modfied the EZ Leveler...
    I removed the rubber/cork, turned it upside down and mounted it directly on the center column of the tripod. So no pseudo dumping anymore and one component less.
    Looks good. I'll see if it works out ...
    Thomas

I can understand the removal of the cork plate , but why do you use
    the leveler upside down ?
    Regards . Jürgen .

philipmccormick

Re: ... geared head ...

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Sorry for the digression:

Is there any way to graft a RRS Lever Action QR clamp onto this head that makes sense? Are there any other geared heads in this load rating range (I don't need and couldn't afford an A-S Cube for my gear...) that do not have a built-in QR system?
    Kirk do a an arca type plate specifically for putting on top of the manfrotto RC4 plate, but that kind of defeats the purpose as you're still relying on the unconvincing manfrotto quick release system.

tetsrfun

Re: ... geared head ...

Quote Originally Posted by philipmccormick View Post
    Kirk do a an arca type plate specifically for putting on top of the manfrotto RC4 plate, but that kind of defeats the purpose as you're still relying on the unconvincing manfrotto quick release system.
    FWIW...RRS B2-LLR-II clamp mounted on RC4 system. Very stable with moderately heavy gear. The RC4 plate and clamp interface seems to be very rigid, the problem are the "clunky" plates that mount on the camera. The Manfrotto RC2 quick release system is pure junk, IMHO.

Steve
    Last edited by tetsrfun; 25th January 2011 at 12:19.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses on my question regarding the RC4 plate vs A-S plate. The Kirk adapter seems a viable option.

I'm in the market for a geared head, but it's not a priority as yet.
    No rush ... I'll continue considering options for a bit. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No you don't need a leveling head, if you have a two-way pano setup like the one from RRS, which I do. It mounts on the cube, I can use the cube to do leveling, rotate at the top turntable, and the pano setup lets me tilt the camera up or down. Plus, I get nodal point adjustment as a bonus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by billbunton View Post
    No you don't need a leveling head, if you have a two-way pano setup like the one from RRS, which I do. It mounts on the cube, I can use the cube to do leveling, rotate at the top turntable, and the pano setup lets me tilt the camera up or down. Plus, I get nodal point adjustment as a bonus.

Well yes, if you use a panoramic head, than you don't need a second leveling place, however it wasn't really the question.