The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P65+ and ColorChecker Passport

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
You *really* owe it to yourself to try C1 start to finish, then try your local adjustments in LR or CS afterward. I am willing to bet once you do, you'll never go back to LR for your Phase files after that...
Difference with daylight short (meaning less than a few seconds) exposures with base ISO is moderate and meaningful. Definitely worth your time to explore.

Exposures in tungsten, mixed, or other non-daylight light, high ISO, or long exposures is huge and barely debatable.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off

KETCH ROSSI

I have been using LR since its birth, and now with C1 5 Pro, I just don't think I will ever go back using LR again, only problem is that I'm really struggling in learning all the do and don't of C1 as there is really a terrible Training material on it, but other then that I can say that I have a true winner now with C1 5 Pro, and I would be very sorry to go back to LR3 just because I can't find in off training material for it.

But other then that, I will absolutely make no comparisons as they are in deed different animals all together, and I now consider LR and or before Aperture as purely cataloging SW, but since I do have the CS4 I enjoy using Bridge for that.

Christopher

So far I would never use anything expect C1 for the step from RAW to TIFF, however for everything else I find LR still years a head of C1. Especially when LR will ship and get Softproofing.

KETCH ROSSI

Yes Chris, I do agree that LR is by far the best Cataloging, Web proofing, and Printing profiling of them all, but to me cataloging, and everything else comes always after getting the absolute best color match and IQ, and for this I love C1 eben so I absolutely have no idea how to use it :D I can only imagine what I can do with it once I learn its ins and outs, that is if I stay patient in off to wait and get some serious training on it, other wise I will just have to use it, for nothing else but importing the Raw files transfer to TIFF and export to a separate folder to then create and other import file in to LR, will see.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bottom line I would NEVER process a Phase file in anything but C1, maybe raw developer but LR sucks with Phase files. After a DNG or Tif maybe for cataloging and some backend features but never to actually process the front end of the files. Honestly now I just finish with the S2 i just removed LR from my system this morning.

Not to say LR is bad it just does not like Phase files at all to my liking

Christopher

Well here people are different, if LR would give me the same quality on phase files like LR 3.0 gives me with Canon files, C1 would be deleted from my system right away. In my eyes the program is still rubbish, when it comes to user interface and functions. I would throw myself of a building if I only had to use C1 and did not have LR to edit my converted raws. However as long as, C1 gives me the best raw to TIFF conversion I will use it.

I think it just shows how different people are.

jklotz

I agree, the user interface with C1 is not the greatest. It takes some time to learn, and is not very intuitive. But once you learn it, it kind of makes sense. I find that 90% of what I do can be done with the quick menu after I swap some of the panes around.

Professionally, I almost always shoot tethered (I am an architectural photographer) and I have yet to find a better way to tether a P1 back to a computer than C1. IMHO, it's worth spending the time with, as it will become less awkward and the output with a phase back is simply stunning.

Christopher

Well I'm not saying it makes no sense, and yes it takes time to learn it. (However, I'm teaching it from time to time so I think I know nearly everything about it) That does not mean that LR is so much better in many ways. Expect raw conversion quality. Could be interesting if Adobe even consider eliminating the center and quad folds with the newest phase back generation, or if they don't care.

gogopix

Subscriber
Bottom line I would NEVER process a Phase file in anything but C1, maybe raw developer but LR sucks with Phase files. After a DNG or Tif maybe for cataloging and some backend features but never to actually process the front end of the files. Honestly now I just finish with the S2 i just removed LR from my system this morning.

Not to say LR is bad it just does not like Phase files at all to my liking
Guy, what do you use for browsing? Do you keyword?

I too got frustrated with LR and use C1 for all raws. However, I use ACDSEE 3 and really like it. I have quad monitors and not even PS can handle. ACDSEE I can see 5300x3200 detail!

Also great for random searches across about 2TB I keep on line. ACDSEE actially lists images thumbnails in folders on left for calendar.
I find there then open BR and PS for final processing.
for rough processing ACDSEE is great and you can get nice 'collection' set up way easier than LR (uses keyword, catagory, time and randon search (e.g. get all contax)

ACDSEE has really come a LONG way

Victor

PS One shortfall; no phase raw-has everything else including M9, and color management, but somehow cant do Phase raw. so you need the C1 "develops".