Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What makes the Cube so wonderful?

tetsrfun

Re: What makes the Cube so wonderful?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    NO user manual anywhere, Arca is pre-stone-age regarding websites -- they don't have one. The roll and pitch movements are geared, and have friction adjustments that will lock them, but it's not necessary --- the whole benefit to geared heads is they stay put WITHOUT being locked down. The pan movements are not geared, so friction and are lockable. There is also a gross angle track that you can see extended in Don's shot, and it is friction and lockable. End of the day, this design is also very light for what it is at just over 2 pounds.

That what I guessed looking at the pics and reading the comments about Arca's web-site.:>)

The tendrils of the Cube are dragging me toward assimilation.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Looking at the setup of the Alpa with the Cube, two thoughts occurred to me. First, there is a lot of "stuff" between the platform of the tripod itself and the base of the camera. I would expect that the best solution in terms of rigidity would be to attach the camera directly to the platform. That's obviously not practical. However, you would generally not want to use a center column to raise the camera above the tripod platform. The Cube at least appears to violate that principle by putting the camera up there on a perch with lots of "stuff" to vibrate. Second, one of the major advantages cited for the Cube is the ability to precisely compose your photograph. With a tech camera, you have no ability to compose accurately anyway, unless you remove your digital back each time you frame a shot.
    It would be interesting to see some careful comparisons of 60mp shots with longer lenses(200mm or 300mm) using the Cube v. a regular RRS ballhead.
    I posted the pic to show what a Cube looks like in repsonse to the thread starter's question. Apologies if you dont like the pic of a cube with an Alpa on it. Dont know whatyou mean by the term a lot of stuff - the cube is no larger than a RRS large ballhead and a lot more useful to me - becaue it allows me to get a level - a lot of people have used all sorts of words to repeat the gist of what I said with far less words tpeople in this forum oftetn just liek to say stuff dressed up to make themselves sound important or knowledgeable to themselves.

1. it is easy to get a level which for some anal types ( like me) is important when using a tripod
    2. it provides a steady base for heavier gear - if matched to a nice tripod - sorry if you dont like my tripod - it works for me as do all my other tripods.
    3. it looks good.

4 the most other value added in the thread is Jack's pic of the RRS extension bracket to allow for nodal point adjustment.

5. The Cube is a useless device ofr any wildlife shooting incorporating the need for panning quickly - just as is most any other form of sturdy head. - but then agan you dont need a PHD from a reputable place of learning to figure that one out.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've just ordered my Cube but please spare me the assimilation witticisms. I found all that crap completely off-putting. Thanks to the folks who provided valuable information.

I am immediately suspicious of any product that seems to have religious fervour attached to it.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No religion - the Cube just does what it was designed for better than any other head. It is a precision tool for a particular job, i.e. landscape/architecture/still life etc.

One thing to remember when you get the head is to be careful not to undo the QR adjuster too much other wise you'll be picking up washers ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Graham. I'm surprised that Arca still has that problem. I can see now why it is such a good thing. Like all ballhead users I have struggled with precise composition. It look like I should be able to sell my levelling base now along with the B1
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I suspect you might want to keep one head with freer movements for situations where you don't want to gear around.
    Carsten - Website

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffg53 View Post
    Thanks Graham. I'm surprised that Arca still has that problem.
    If Really Right Stuff used the same kind of adjuster they'd do the sensible thing and (a) engrave a legend to tell you which way to turn it & (b) put a locking mechanism on the adjuster so that it doesn't pop apart throwing washers everywhere.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I posted the pic to show what a Cube looks like in repsonse to the thread starter's question. Pete

Peter, Thanks again for posting that image. I just think there’s an “old school” look to the whole setup. I don’t get to see many wood tripods however I did see one being used just last week while at the South Rim.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    If Really Right Stuff used the same kind of adjuster they'd do the sensible thing and (a) engrave a legend to tell you which way to turn it
    Easy --- you turn the knob the same direction you want your bubble to move
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The Cube won’t make you a better photographer nor will it cure the common cold. It will assist in making sure you get your camera as level as can be in a very short time thus allowing you to capture better images. The Cube works best on landscape and static shots however will suck if you attempt to do any wildlife; for that you need the fluid function of a ballhead.

Just my 2 cents worth …

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I've just ordered my Cube but please spare me the assimilation witticisms. I found all that crap completely off-putting. Thanks to the folks who provided valuable information.

I am immediately suspicious of any product that seems to have religious fervour attached to it.
    Jeff, The assimilation cracks come from the old TV show Star-Trek” and the Borg with their Cube spaceship. They went around assimilating people into their group this the term. While the TV show had a near religious fervor among its followers it’s all done tongue-in-cheek here. Besides you have to admit it’s one a heck of a head!

Enjoy!

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Creek View Post
    The Cube won’t make you a better photographer nor will it cure the common cold. It will assist in making sure you get your camera as level as can be in a very short time thus allowing you to capture better images. The Cube works best on landscape and static shots however will suck if you attempt to do any wildlife; for that you need the fluid function of a ballhead.

Just my 2 cents worth …

Don
    Yes, I was in Iceland with my cube and as we were driving along the group decided to do an impromptu birding session. Needless to say the person with the Wimberly (and the 500mm monster lens) got the keepers. At least the Puffins like to stand in one place for a reasonable amount of time

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don note name change
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Don note name change
    Thanks!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Jeff:
    If you have a chance, I would be interested in how damped the Cube is compared to your B1 when using a longer lens and a shutter speed of 1/4 or 1/8 sec. (I am desperately trying to talk myself out of a Cube.)
    Hope everything is good with you.
    Best, Howard

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jeff

Adding to Don's "assimilation" reference, there is also a physical resemblance, which is really where the whole "borg assimilation" thing originated from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_starships

Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like

You don't spend much time around GetDPI, do you?

BTW, I really like your florals! Great work.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Victor I hope you ordered one from Steve. I think you need to get with the program on the cube. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

well right now the shape is wrong
    from a budget point of view...it is square, and my budget is round..

as in "0" :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Same here bud. All Santa has for me is ashes no coal left in this stocking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Arca P1 showed up it is really nice . Most all of it is controlled by the ring the drag control maybe better for a lighter setup . But nothing sticking out and the ring is the master control and very fluid but most of the drag you can apply is through the ring and let go and it sits even without tightening down. Release is a two stage which has safety written all over it and love it for that. LOoks awesome on the Gitzo 3541 XL . The only thing I see as a limitation is it won't shoot straight down, not a really big deal I can work the legs on the Gitzo if I have too. I will take a few shots of it later and I need to run a shutter test with a 300 anyway so will report more on it . But so far pretty dang nice. BTW it's all Arca design and finish

Oh the panning is very smooth but stiff , just as it should be.

Post Thanks / Like

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE
    Jeff T.
    Jeff Turner's Emerging Light Photography
    http://www.EmergingLightPhotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Folks. My frustration comes from living in Australia where gear like this is hard to see so I rely on getDPI as a source of trustworthy knowledge. I have just about abandoned LL as I am sick of anti-Hasselblad comments.

When I start getting comments that are an in-joke, I start to despair but you guys have come through for which I am very grateful. Until I realised what I can do with the Cube, my B1 composition frustration level was contained, but no longer.

I still have a 1228 with a BH40 on it so I will have the ability to move quickly, if needed.

Thanks again
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"I am immediately suspicious of any product that seems to have religious fervour attached to it." I'm not suspicious of the product, but the thread ...

Post Thanks / Like

We love you SG

Post Thanks / Like

You need both, a ball head(Arca or clones) or a Cube(Multiflex)
    Happy XMas and a great NY

Post Thanks / Like

All the best in 2010 to everyone . Guy I am interested to hear your thoughts on the Arca P1 .Much appreciated .

Roger