Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ALPA Question

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: ALPA Question

Here David this is the size I'm using but they have a 42x32 also which may fit the STC better.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...era_Plate.html
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    egad, what a contraption!
    It does look big because it mounts right on the shutter release. If I remember right it is not any bigger than the black box on the KaptureGroup trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Btw you can also use Arca Slide fix camera plates. I put a 32x32mm plate on my Cambo very small and looks and works great
    I have a smaller plate on the grip for rise/fall orientation, but I actually prefer the bigger plate on the bottom because it gives me something else to grab when rotating the camera. I do think the two plates need to be from the same company since different brands have slightly different dovetail sizes. The std Cube base is pretty finicky when it comes to plate sizes, and adjusting the base for a vertical plate vs. a different horizontal plate is a royal pain. The grip plate is from Kirk and I really like its size with the grip. So a Kirk-brand plate is on the bottom too.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Here David this is the size I'm using but they have a 42x32 also which may fit the STC better.

That does look like a very nice size. If I didn't already have these that might be a better solution.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes I switched to Arca brand plates for all cams so I don't have to adjust the lever clamp any more. I use the slide fix on the Cambo and than a standard size Arca on the DF . Both plates work without any adjustments to the tripod lever clamp from Arca. This is really a nice setup for me now and my 35 kit has a universal Arca brand plate.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

One other comment about disassembling the sync switch. When the whole thing is assembled you can grip and unscrew the knurled fitting between the stair-shaped cable release mount and the sync switch; that removes the whole thing from the lens as one piece. It requires a little more dexterity, but can certainly be done.

I do that if I'm already set up and need to switch lenses.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know this may have just cost you money but seriously this is a great way to go and recommend it highly. Now the slide fix plates come in different sizes but still the same mounting setup , so you could get a bigger one for bottom and smaller for sides. Than the DF I use a standard size but it is for the mamiya bodies. Which have the pins in it so it don't twist.

I know such a enabler

Post Thanks / Like

I know such a enabler
    Guy,
    Just so you know, I blame all my purchases on you. Thanks for being my scapegoat.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To bad it won't work in reverse for me. LOL

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know this may have just cost you money but seriously this is a great way to go and recommend it highly. Now the slide fix plates come in different sizes but still the same mounting setup , so you could get a bigger one for bottom and smaller for sides. Than the DF I use a standard size but it is for the mamiya bodies. Which have the pins in it so it don't twist.
    I recommend the RRS MPR-73 or Kirk PZ-130 which have an anti-twist bar or rear lip across them that really addresses the single biggest problem with the generic Arca (and other) plates. It is flush to the rear of the STC and locks it so that the plate / camera cannot rotate. Normally with a generic plate you can only address this by tightening the plate very tightly and even then they loosen. They always do. That's also why Mamiya put those index pin holes on the AF/DF bodies for that Arca AF/DF specific plate to lock in to.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My problem Graham is Kirk and RRS plates are wider in the mount and I have to adjust the lever clamp which is not something I want to . The lever clamp you should pick the plates for all cams so you don't have to make adjustments. Now the screw clamps you can mix and match since you just tighten down. It comes down to the lever clamp as it is fixed unless you mess with the silver knob adjustment. I don't like the screw down clamps so for me and the lever reason I choose one brand. Now you could do all RRS as well on all cams. So everything is the same. This is really aimed at Arca lever clamp users.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy - yes having consistent plates IS a big deal with the lever clamps. I had to make that choice a while ago when I settled on all RRS plates for exactly the reason you cite. I had to swap out all of my Kirk & Acratech plates because they all had slightly different dimensions - a total pain in the a$$. The good news at least with the Arca lever clamp is that you can adjust it to suit the plates you decide on vs the RRS lever clamp with no adjustability which pretty much forces you to use RRS plates only.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes exactly and I saw Davids lever clamp and he mentioned two different types Kirk and RRS and the bell went off. Lol

But I think those two are the same not sure. The real problem here is there is no standard and folks need to be aware of that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    Sure. Here are some images:
    1. The system assembled around the lens (shown on a 70HR-W). You can route the cable over the top of the camera or continue around counterclockwise then under to the digital back. I used to route it over but now prefer around and under.

Dave
    Thanks for showing these pictures Dave, it is interesting to me that this cable is different from the one shown on the Alpa site. It seems you are still using the short PhaseOne multi-pin connector to miniphone socket. The cable shown on the Alpa site just has a multi-pin connector and plugs directly into the back. Did you order something special? I would prefer not to have the added hassle of the short PhaseOne cable, and I liked the Alpa cable since it seemed it avoided this unnecessary link. But now it appears it is still needed . Also, is this the short or long version?

Cheers, -Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Peter,
    I got the one they had in stock. I bought this soon after it was announced and parts were kinda rare. I do think if you buy the Phase cable you do not need the short adapter.

It is the short 20cm version.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to clarify an important point, concerning the sync release showed here in some pictures:

This is NOT a Alpa released version, ONLY a prototype/pre-series version. For some obscure reasons it came in the hands of Dave, and it is not Alpa-like regarding the design and the "cable-mess" as shown in the pics.

The final version of this Alpa sync release will be available in a few weeks. It will be the only solution (so far) for a real hand-held wake-up solution which can be used with the cable release.

Just for information.

Best regards
    Thierry

I know it is expensive, but the Alpa sync release is a dream. the threads that go into the lens match, and the cable release always stays on its little adapter.

Dave
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thierry, thats funny, because I bought the same cable-set from my German Alpa dealer (Alpa sync cord ASC-POS-5, Nr. 170.800.400 + Adapter 170.800.010) last March for about 770 € incl. Tax. It´s not fine to read that such a lot of money was taken for a prototype!!

Best regards
    Wolfgang

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TH_Alpa View Post
    The final version of this Alpa sync release will be available in a few weeks. It will be the only solution (so far) for a real hand-held wake-up solution which can be used with the cable release.
    Thanks for the clarification Thierry, could you post a picture of the "final" cable. The one on the Alpa site does not really show how the cable(s) could or will run.

Thanks, -Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"It will be the only solution (so far) for a real hand-held wake-up solution which can be used with the cable release."

Other than the Kapture Group Oneshot cable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    "It will be the only solution (so far) for a real hand-held wake-up solution which can be used with the cable release."

Other than the Kapture Group Oneshot cable.
    I guess Thierry meant to say it's the only solution that can be used EITHER with OR without a cable release.

As Yoda says in Star Wars, "Luke, there is another ... "

Tada! I present to you the one and only Gilbert/Libby KG One Shot adapter!
    (Please excuse the iPhone upload pic quality)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I guess Thierry meant to say it's the only solution that can be used EITHER with OR without a cable release.

I'm speechless. All I can say is "Wow!" (or maybe "Yikes!")

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    I'm speechless. All I can say is "Wow!" (or maybe "Yikes!")

Joe
    Yes, zero latency mode, a pile of batteries and a standard sync cable look really attractive for hand held use at this point ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Medusa comes to mind

Cheers, -Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey; I resemble those comments. It looks better with a lens and the cables plugged in: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpo...41&postcount=1

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Wolfgang,

I was not speaking about the "Alpa Sync Release 170.800.010" and the "ALPA Sync Cord POS 170.800.400", which are available products, listed on Alpa's webpage.

I was speaking about the showed cable in the images from Dave. There is a new one planed, which will look a "bit" differently.

I shall post some images as soon as available.

Best regards
    Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Thierry, thats funny, because I bought the same cable-set from my German Alpa dealer (Alpa sync cord ASC-POS-5, Nr. 170.800.400 + Adapter 170.800.010) last March for about 770 € incl. Tax. It´s not fine to read that such a lot of money was taken for a prototype!!

Best regards
    Wolfgang
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, zero latency mode, a pile of batteries and a standard sync cable look really attractive for hand held use at this point ...
    Yup because that looks like a snake pit. Lol

Okay my house 7 pm two hour cabling class. ROTFLMAO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's that dirty little secret about tech cameras. You'll notice that you'll never see one in a brochure or manufacturers web site with all of the cables attached. It's almost amusing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes , Graham , that is true enough .

But to be honest , these tech cameras , look much more beautiful and sexy when they are "naked" . Isn't that real life ? ? ?
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Graham,

You are right in that. We have decided at Alpa to consider this point in the future, in our brochures, documents and on the website.

Thanks
    Thierry

It's that dirty little secret about tech cameras. You'll notice that you'll never see one in a brochure or manufacturers web site with all of the cables attached. It's almost amusing.
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The cable release fitting on ALPA lenses appears to be threaded specially for the ALPA shutter release. Unlike most cameras or shutters, it has straight threads. Cable releases I've seen have tapered threads, as do all cameras I'm familiar with.
    Steve's original issue really hasn't been addressed, even with the "Libby/Gepe adapter". It puzzles me why ALPA wouldn't simply provide an adapter that couples the straight-threaded Copal fitting to a tapered-threaded shutter release cable. I'm an electronics guy, and there's an adapter for every conceivable connection type imaginable, even for some that are kinda bizarre. I'm just sayin'.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Colson; 16th September 2011 at 08:47. Reason: Corrected grammar

Post Thanks / Like

I promised a couple of weeks ago that the Alpa Sync Release will be finished and available in a few weeks.

Here it is:

Alpa Sync Release

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by TH_Alpa View Post
    Thierry
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Alpa cable set up certainly looks a lot neater than the KG One Shot. I like the way that the cable is managed around the bottom of the lens leaving the top controls easily visible and accessible.

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    egad, what a contraption!
    I was thinking the same thing!

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

(Please excuse the iPhone upload pic quality)
    I think I spotted a bird nesting in there.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that why portrait photographers here in Europe used to say "Your attention, the little bird will come out", when children went to get their portrait done?

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thierry

The sync cable you show here looks different to the original design .
    That does not matter . It looks rather good .
    But the main thing for me , as I have been waiting so long for that solution ,
    is it available and on stock ? ? ?

I would need 170.800.010 + 170.800.350 .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    Now to be fair you really need to see it in situ with a lens on it:

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Jürgen,

The 2 cables will be available at the very begin of October, as stated on Alpa's website.

Availability Alpa Sync Cables

Use:

- Handheld/freehand for release with hand
    - Cable release link is part of the delivery scope
    - The length is made in a way that it works with all cameras and lenses

2 remarks to it:

- For use with all ALPA lenses with Copal 0 shutter except Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/24 mm XL

- Restricted use with ALPA lenses in Copal 1: Schneider Apo-Symmar 5.6/180 L, Schneider Tele-Xenar 5.6/250 mm (lenses not recommended for digital use)

Best regards
    Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Thierry

The sync cable you show here looks different to the original design .
    That does not matter . It looks rather good .
    But the main thing for me , as I have been waiting so long for that solution ,
    is it available and on stock ? ? ?

I would need 170.800.010 + 170.800.350 .
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thierry
    That sounds great . I am planing a visit to ZURICH to pick up the items .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thierry,

The new cable looks like a clear improvement. Too bad that ALPA refuse to make a simple sync cable to connect the lens to a Phase back, i.e., one to be used with zero latency.

Steve

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Now to be fair you really need to see it in situ with a lens on it:

Lovely image Graham, still trying to figure out what it reminds me of.

It does appear to be much more complicated than what I'm used to. Do you have the ability to move the shutter release off body? My normal use of the shutter release is off body to lesson vibrations and only use it connected if handheld so just asking.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

That looks very nice Thierry. i am hoping Dennis can bring one back for me when he visits in October.

I will replace my ugly-cable version earlier in this thread!

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    Lovely image Graham, still trying to figure out what it reminds me of.

It does appear to be much more complicated than what I'm used to. Do you have the ability to move the shutter release off body? My normal use of the shutter release is off body to lesson vibrations and only use it connected if handheld so just asking.
    The shot is actually Steve Gilbert's camera and his pic. I'd show my TC but I just sold it! I still have the One shot mount shown here that I got from Steve for the KG One Shot.

As regards the cable release, it's shown here with the red rubber O-ring holding it close to the finger grip and so looks and acts like a release on the body which is best for handheld use. I personally let the cable release hang free for the same vibration reason that you mention. It works very well actually and I probably should sell on the bracket assembly now that I no longer have the TC to mount it on. It would also work on an Alpa Max too but not on an STC due to the rear slide assembly. It's a very nicely machined mounting block.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Steve,

Alpa did never refuse to make such a cable, and we have actually never been requested to produce such.

Phase One has such a "0-Latency" cable:

Interface Cables Phase One

Best regards
    Thierry

Thierry,

The new cable looks like a clear improvement. Too bad that ALPA refuse to make a simple sync cable to connect the lens to a Phase back, i.e., one to be used with zero latency.

Steve
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Dave,

Please get in touch with your dealer who gave/sold it to you, pre-series cables are exchanged if requested.

Best regards
    Thierry

That looks very nice Thierry. i am hoping Dennis can bring one back for me when he visits in October.

I will replace my ugly-cable version earlier in this thread!

Dave
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don and others using this Gepe 3.25" flexible cable release extension,
    Hvis release cable are you using? The shorter flexible ones I got from Cambo doesn't work together with the Gepe extension. The "pin" doesn't extend far enough to get the gepe to fire the shutter..

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    Steve, not sure if this will help you or not however I found I had trouble threading my cable release in my Schneider lenses for the Cambo then after talking to Chris I came up with the idea of adding an extension. I now have a Gepe 3.25” flexible cable release extension on each of my lenses; I just screw my cable release into the extension and away I go; just disconnect the cable release from the extension and move to the next lens keeping the extension on the lens. I got them from B&H $30 each.

I also use the one-shot.

Don
    Peter
    My website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gepe make them. I use a red one in the hope that it'll be easier to find when I misplace it: Gepe Plastic Covered Cable Release with Disc-Lock 12"