The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ALPA Question

stephengilbert

Jurgen,

"I believe it is better to get a modified cable release ..." I thought of that as well, but decided a tapered socket was the better option. The reason is that currently manufactured cable releases have tapered threads. They have become the standard. Changing the shutter's cable release socket would mean that you could then use any cable release.

Many of us use the Kapture Group One Shot cable release, which has tapered threads. The availability of a straight thread cable release wouldn't help us. The people who really should fix this problem are at Copal. They make one shutter with a tapered thread socket, but four with straight threads. (http://www.rtsphoto.com/html/copal2.html) They should make all their shutters with tapered threads, or at least make them an option.

Steve

Don Libby

I was thinking on similar lines. No fault or Alpa (or in my case Cambo) rather it should rest on the lenses manufacture.

Don

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Let me check if and/or what the two companies I mentioned are willing to do .
I am able to produce an adapter for a cable release , but I can not produce a tapered thread . So I will come back with hopefully some good news .

Jürgen

stephengilbert

Interim update: I got a Libby adapter as well as a Gepe L-adapter (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/233734-REG/Gepe_603006_L_Hook_Adapter.html) today. I found the L adapter works better on a short lens (a 35mm Digitar) while the longer Libby adapter works better on a longer one.

Derek at OpTech Digital confirmed that the Copal 0 press shutter does have tapered thread on its cable release socket, so I'm going to go back to visit Steve's Camera to see whether we (or he) can use them on my regular Copal shutters.

Happy New Year.

D

DerekJ

Derek at OpTech Digital confirmed that the Copal 0 press shutter does have tapered thread on its cable release socket, so I'm going to go back to visit Steve's Camera to see whether we (or he) can use them on my regular Copal shutters.

Happy New Year.
Hi Steve, there is one big difference between the sockets of the Copal Press 0 and the regular Copal shutters. On the press shutter, the cable release actually threads into the body of the shutter. On a regular Copal shutter, the socket is on the side of the body and the cable release trips the shutter release lever. So the sockets are actually quite different.

I can snap a few pics if you want to see what I'm trying to describe.

Cheers!

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I have now tested 6 different cable releases .
The tapered thread seems to be a bit different for these cables .
There were three cables , where the biggest diameter of the thread is 3,8mm . Two of them had 3,6mm and one , the HORSEMAN PRO cable release has 3,4mm .
The length of the threads was almost the same .

The HORSEMAN PRO cable release screws into the COPAL perfectly well .
The power you need to release the shutter is very low and therefore , I believe , there is no rework required for any of the ALPA lenses , or ALPA adapted lenses or any LF lens .

Jürgen

jotloob

Subscriber Member
CMB

Yes , exactly , that is the HORSEMAN cable release which I prefer most from all others , I used for testing .

One techical and one cosmetical advantage :
The screw in part is extremely flexible and the crome plated parts are golden plated . That fits exactly for an ALPA design .
But just to make shure , that is not the important part .

Jürgen

Don Libby

I shoot a lot in the winter and just returned from the So Rim Grand Canyon where it warmed up to 19 degrees in the morning so gloves were a must. I’ve found that changing lenses are much easier using the shutter extenders as I didn’t have to take my gloves off when doing so. I realize folks are trying to find a solution where you can directly attach however for me the answer is the extenders.

Don

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I shoot a lot in the winter and just returned from the So Rim Grand Canyon where it warmed up to 19 degrees in the morning so gloves were a must. I’ve found that changing lenses are much easier using the shutter extenders as I didn’t have to take my gloves off when doing so. I realize folks are trying to find a solution where you can directly attach however for me the answer is the extenders.

Don
Don

I can fully understand , that under the given circumstances , it will be very difficult to screw in and/or unscrew a cable release .
But . . . . there is a very simple and inexpensive solution .
If you know , that you will be shooting only by using a tripod , why not attaching a cable release to each lens when you get your gear packed .
Wrap the cable arround the barrel and that is it .
I have done so when I was shooting a large series of waterfalls and was fed up with attaching and detaching the cable release for each lens I had with me .
Usually I know which lens I will need and have them "cable release prepared" before I leave my home .

Jürgen

Don Libby

Jürgen - Very good idea however I’m using a Kapture Group One Shot so it was much cheaper to invest in the Gepe 3.25 flexible cable release extensions for each lens. That way (which is similar to your suggestion) I just need to attach my release to the extension that’s hanging from the lens and away I go. Takes me longer to make up my mind on which lens to use that it does to actually make the switch.

This might not work for everyone however it does for me.
Don

cunim

Paul, that is a lovely looking bit of kit and itgives you freedom in how the lens is oriented. However, is appears to be held where it transits the body? That would not isolate the camera from my hand. For my purposes, isolation is the main reason for a cable.

Does this one have a non-tapered thread?

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Paul, the cable part looks very similar to the one they make for the 12 WA/SWA. From the attached photo below it appears to me that the threads are tapered. The one for the MAX may be the same.

View attachment 26814

stephengilbert

I thought I'd resurrect this thread suggesting use of a "Libby adapter" between a cable release and shutter. I never did find a way to modify the Copal shutter cable socket to better fit the end of a cable release, and found that the Libby adapter allowed more cable routing options as well as protecting the shutter's socket.

Don Libby: an under appreciated leader. :)

vjbelle

The Gepe extension, to me, seems to be the best solution....albiet a little expensive. It can remain on the lens and its flexibility eliminates any potential handling damage - versus a rigid adapter. Never knew it existed until reading this thread.....

Victor

Don Libby

I thought I'd resurrect this thread suggesting use of a "Libby adapter" between a cable release and shutter. I never did find a way to modify the Copal shutter cable socket to better fit the end of a cable release, and found that the Libby adapter allowed more cable routing options as well as protecting the shutter's socket.

Don Libby: an under appreciated leader. :)
Thank you for the very very kind words.:eek:

dchew

I know it is expensive, but the Alpa sync release is a dream. the threads that go into the lens match, and the cable release always stays on its little adapter.

Dave