The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ALPA Question

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes exactly and I saw Davids lever clamp and he mentioned two different types Kirk and RRS and the bell went off. Lol

But I think those two are the same not sure. The real problem here is there is no standard and folks need to be aware of that.

PeterL

Sure. Here are some images:
1. The system assembled around the lens (shown on a 70HR-W). You can route the cable over the top of the camera or continue around counterclockwise then under to the digital back. I used to route it over but now prefer around and under.

Dave
Thanks for showing these pictures Dave, it is interesting to me that this cable is different from the one shown on the Alpa site. It seems you are still using the short PhaseOne multi-pin connector to miniphone socket. The cable shown on the Alpa site just has a multi-pin connector and plugs directly into the back. Did you order something special? I would prefer not to have the added hassle of the short PhaseOne cable, and I liked the Alpa cable since it seemed it avoided this unnecessary link. But now it appears it is still needed :( . Also, is this the short or long version?

Cheers, -Peter

dchew

Peter,
I got the one they had in stock.:) I bought this soon after it was announced and parts were kinda rare. I do think if you buy the Phase cable you do not need the short adapter.

It is the short 20cm version.

Dave

Thierry

I just wanted to clarify an important point, concerning the sync release showed here in some pictures:

This is NOT a Alpa released version, ONLY a prototype/pre-series version. For some obscure reasons it came in the hands of Dave, and it is not Alpa-like regarding the design and the "cable-mess" as shown in the pics.

The final version of this Alpa sync release will be available in a few weeks. It will be the only solution (so far) for a real hand-held wake-up solution which can be used with the cable release.

Just for information.

Best regards
Thierry

I know it is expensive, but the Alpa sync release is a dream. the threads that go into the lens match, and the cable release always stays on its little adapter.

Dave

Thierry, thats funny, because I bought the same cable-set from my German Alpa dealer (Alpa sync cord ASC-POS-5, Nr. 170.800.400 + Adapter 170.800.010) last March for about 770 € incl. Tax. It´s not fine to read that such a lot of money was taken for a prototype!!

Best regards
Wolfgang

PeterL

The final version of this Alpa sync release will be available in a few weeks. It will be the only solution (so far) for a real hand-held wake-up solution which can be used with the cable release.
Thanks for the clarification Thierry, could you post a picture of the "final" cable. The one on the Alpa site does not really show how the cable(s) could or will run.

Thanks, -Peter

stephengilbert

"It will be the only solution (so far) for a real hand-held wake-up solution which can be used with the cable release."

Other than the Kapture Group Oneshot cable.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
"It will be the only solution (so far) for a real hand-held wake-up solution which can be used with the cable release."

Other than the Kapture Group Oneshot cable.
I guess Thierry meant to say it's the only solution that can be used EITHER with OR without a cable release. :)

As Yoda says in Star Wars, "Luke, there is another ... "

Tada! I present to you the one and only Gilbert/Libby KG One Shot adapter! :D
(Please excuse the iPhone upload pic quality)

Thierry

Hi Wolfgang,

I was not speaking about the "Alpa Sync Release 170.800.010" and the "ALPA Sync Cord POS 170.800.400", which are available products, listed on Alpa's webpage.

I was speaking about the showed cable in the images from Dave. There is a new one planed, which will look a "bit" differently.

I shall post some images as soon as available.

Best regards
Thierry

Thierry, thats funny, because I bought the same cable-set from my German Alpa dealer (Alpa sync cord ASC-POS-5, Nr. 170.800.400 + Adapter 170.800.010) last March for about 770 € incl. Tax. It´s not fine to read that such a lot of money was taken for a prototype!!

Best regards
Wolfgang

GrahamWelland

It's that dirty little secret about tech cameras. You'll notice that you'll never see one in a brochure or manufacturers web site with all of the cables attached. It's almost amusing.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Yes , Graham , that is true enough .

But to be honest , these tech cameras , look much more beautiful and sexy when they are "naked" . Isn't that real life ? ? ?

Thierry

Graham,

You are right in that. We have decided at Alpa to consider this point in the future, in our brochures, documents and on the website.

Thanks
Thierry

It's that dirty little secret about tech cameras. You'll notice that you'll never see one in a brochure or manufacturers web site with all of the cables attached. It's almost amusing.

Thierry

I promised a couple of weeks ago that the Alpa Sync Release will be finished and available in a few weeks.

Here it is:

Alpa Sync Release

Thierry

Thierry

GrahamWelland

The Alpa cable set up certainly looks a lot neater than the KG One Shot. I like the way that the cable is managed around the bottom of the lens leaving the top controls easily visible and accessible.

johnnygoesdigital

I guess Thierry meant to say it's the only solution that can be used EITHER with OR without a cable release. :)

As Yoda says in Star Wars, "Luke, there is another ... "

Tada! I present to you the one and only Gilbert/Libby KG One Shot adapter! :D
(Please excuse the iPhone upload pic quality)
I think I spotted a bird nesting in there.