The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

An ongoing, real-world S2 gallery

stephengilbert

Jono,

You may be surprised to find that Tim finds the S2 to be simply fab. It will even work with a cheap monopod.

Steve

jonoslack

Jono,

You may be surprised to find that Tim finds the S2 to be simply fab. It will even work with a cheap monopod.

Steve
Actually, I'm not surprised . . I have talked to him about it. . Around here it may seem that he's pretty critical, but I think it's only when it's deserved. Great Guy, and a good photographer as well.
That picture of Brighton Pier on his Zenfolio site certainly impressed me.

all the best

tashley

Subscriber Member
So Tim, one whole month with no news. How is life with the S2?
Peachy thanks Carsten! After some fairly minor teething issues, very responsively dealt with by Leica, I'm in plain sailing water. I am using the S2 more than I thought I would and more generally too, because I find it to be very hand-holdable. I like travelling with it too but until there's a wide and a TS solution, I'm holding on to the Phase system because there's a whole raft of stuff it does that I need.

Actually the arrival of the S2 has heralded a bit of a general reshuffle. I'm selling my 5DII and my several years accumulation of Canon glass and bits and pieces because I figure I want one amazing small and light walkaround system (M9) and one system with extremely good AF and low light performance (to be a Nikon D3s) and one MF system, for which read two for now until the rest of the S system arrives or, if it doesn't, the S2 gets sold and I bump up the Phase system.

I have this past week been making some large prints from the S2 and they look really nice. Is it 'better' than my Phase system? Objectively, in terms of image quality, there's very little in it even in a large print. But the S2 feels good and it makes me want to use it. So, like I say, peachy!

Thanks for asking.

Tim

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Actually, I'm not surprised . . I have talked to him about it. . Around here it may seem that he's pretty critical, but I think it's only when it's deserved. Great Guy, and a good photographer as well.
That picture of Brighton Pier on his Zenfolio site certainly impressed me.

all the best
From you, my friend, that is the greatest flattery. Cheque's in the post :angel:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Nice to have you back Tim. Can you post some of your S2 images for thread posterity?

tashley

Subscriber Member
Nice to have you back Tim. Can you post some of your S2 images for thread posterity?
Thanks Jack! And of course... I haven't used it for anything serious yet, thought I wouldn't repeat my schoolboy errors of last year in using an entire new system without getting to know it properly first! But I have a gallery of casual shots here:

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/p141510420

None of these have any merit other than as part of my 'getting to know you' process with the S2 but now I've ironed all that stuff out I'll start to use it for more serious work. I certainly take it with me a lot at the moment when I'm just out and about, in case the light is suddenly nice. Here's a couple.

As soon as (when, rather than if, I hope!) Leica introduce a T/S solution and release their wides, I'll most likely be selling various stuff I own at the moment and you have first dibs on the Hartblei!

Best

Tim

Brighton Pier from a coupla days ago (not the one Jono refers to above!)

And here's the one Jono mentioned

This one's an homage to an English watercolourist, Hercules Brabazon (in other words it's murky on purpose!)

I thought it handled this one quite well:

and a 100% crop of the above:

Last edited:

carstenw

I love that second (Jono's...) Brighton Pier shot. From your gallery, I also really liked the half water-half sky image, and a couple of others. In general I find the colours very attractive from these shots. Have you done much PP or is this just Leica's colouring?

tashley

Subscriber Member
I love that second (Jono's...) Brighton Pier shot. From your gallery, I also really liked the half water-half sky image, and a couple of others. In general I find the colours very attractive from these shots. Have you done much PP or is this just Leica's colouring?
Thank you Carsten.

I'm lazy with colours unless its for a real print for fine art sale so I've not done much at all. Most of the shots were developed using my own generic home brewed profile in LR3 made using an Xrite Passport. The half sea/half sky shot was just 'Auto Everything' in LR, which works really well with those types of shots if you want drama The Brighton pier required a re-WB and a bit of fill light on the white bits of the pier, plus a very gentle graduated exposure reduction filter to the sky, but no particular colour work. Do bear in mind though that these are sRGB. A large print of that shot looks quite nice!

ddanois

Tried an S2 today and thought I would share these...

Shot just over 100 frames and this red band began showing up around frame 105. The third image was shot in the same sequence and didn't have the band. Why would this appear in some images and not others?

Since it's a "real world" thread, I hope this isn't something new for the viewers here but this looks to be a major sensor issue.

Thoughts?

Derek

thomas

Thoughts?
Are these camera JPGs or processed RAWs and if yes, through which software?

I once had a thin red line at the edge of a DSLR in Capture One (3.7x) and then it was software related. But it was apparent in every capture and a software update fixed it.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It's also not the very very edge either looks to have a couple pixel rows of real data before the edge. Weird that it is different colors as well. Hmmm

ddanois

Just processed thru Aperture and NO BAND!

Looks like it's not a sensor issue after all, just a RAW software processing problem (from an S2 point of view).

Interesting thing is that the file appears to have been damaged by Lightroom 2.6 as when I try to open in Capture One 5, the band is present in the DNG file.

Go figure...