The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking to breath some new life into my Mamiya ZD digital back.

neil

Looking to breath some new life into my Mamiya ZD digital back. The ZD digital back was replaced by a second hand Phase One p30+. Mamiya ZD has been sitting on the shelf since the Phase One back appeared.

One idea I had was to buy a sliding back adapter and put it on my 4x5 large format camera. It looks like the only choice I have is to buy the Mamiya HX401 slidding adapter. ( The ZD digital back has no sync socket on the back. Which rules out most other sliding adapters ) Does anyone else on this forum have experience of the HX401 sliding adapter. Can anyone think of any other options to connect ZD digital back to a large format camera?

Would it be possible to connect the Phase p30+ on the Mamiya sliding adapter as well ? Looks to be ZD only. Or is there little point to do this because the p30+ has micro lens and will not shift well ? Anyone any experience of attaching a p30+ to a large format camera ? Is this worthwhile or should I just go with the Mamiya ZD back since it has a larger format sensor ( less mega pixels though … ) Any advice appreciated.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
What about dedicating your ZD back to IR or "Full Spectrum" use? It's one of the few 22MP backs that has a user-removable IR-cut filter.

The P30+ does not like lens shifts or tilts very much... As to whether the ZD sliding back is worth considering, I would say depends on price. On the upside, I see no reason it wouldn't work with another M-mount back, so remains useful regardless. However if it's a lot more expensive than say the Kapture Group or Arca options (they run around $2400) then maybe not worth it. Also, does the Mamiya sliding back have stops to allow for stitching? Finally, what mount is the camera side of the Mamiya sliding back? I'm guessing Toyo since that is also a MAC company, so that may be somewhat limiting.

Don Libby

I second Jack’s thoughts especially the idea of IR or “Full Spectrum”. I had actually given thought to picking up a ZD back to do just that but decided to convert my 1DsII instead.

Don

Oren Grad

Finally, what mount is the camera side of the Mamiya sliding back? I'm guessing Toyo since that is also a MAC company, so that may be somewhat limiting.
The original Japanese press release describes it as compatible with international standard 4x5 backs. And although it's hard to tell for sure from pictures of the thing, it does look like it's built around the same sort of mounting plate used for 4x5 Graflok-type accssories.

Also, does the Mamiya sliding back have stops to allow for stitching?
I'd guess not. There aren't any obvious calibration markings on the adapter, and as best I can tell with my rusty Japanese, the press release doesn't make any mention of stitching applications - hard to imagine they wouldn't mention it as a selling point if it had that feature.

neil

Dedicating the ZD back to IR or "Full Spectrum" use - Thanks, that is a very good idea. Have to admit I had not thought of that. This in its self is reason enough to keep the ZD back. ( those Leica m8's seem to be keeping good second hand value )

ZD sliding adapter new on ebay sells for $1,500. This seems a reasonable price for a sliding adapter.

I think the adapter does not have click stops for stitching and just slides. There is a little knob which I assume friction locks the back on the slider.

One interesting point of this slider is that the screen is like a hinged door. You open the door which swings the viewer out of the way then move the back down into place. The slider comes with an RZ viewing hood /magnifier which fixes over the screen. Not sure but maybe possible to fix an RZ tunnel viewer/prism if one was using the camera for vertical copying.

Yes, the sliding adapter mounts to 4x5 Graflok-type fittings. This looks interesting because the sliding adapter can be used in the horizontal or the vertical orientation. Maybe that is why the viewer screen is on a hinge and opens like a door. That means in the vertical position the slider would not hit the camera focusing rail.

There is an on off switch on the slider which switches on the ZD back. Another red button which I assume is a wake up to the digital back. Sync cable permanently attached to adapter which you attach to the lens.

Some Mamiya designer seems to have thought a lot about this adapter as it has some unusual points. Not sure this means that these points actually translate into better practical functionality..... I wonder why Mamiya is still producing accessories for the ZD back now that the M phase one backs are in the Mamiya product line.

http://www.mamiya.co.jp/img/20090326/hx401.jpg

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the sliding adapter mounts to 4x5 Graflok-type fittings. This looks interesting because the sliding adapter can be used in the horizontal or the vertical orientation. Maybe that is why the viewer screen is on a hinge and opens like a door. That means in the vertical position the slider would not hit the camera focusing rail.
Most sliding adapters allow you to mount the back either horizontally or vertically in the adapter, thus allowing the sliding adapter to always be oriented in the horizontal position, and therefore never hitting the focus rail of the camera or being fouled by gravity. Graflok is pretty much universal, but only for 4x5 cameras and not generally for the smaller 6x9 cameras. In itself this isn't bad, just means you may not be able to use a smaller, more compact MF view cam.

My only final comment is does the Mamiya sliding adapter protect/cover the CCD surface when it's up in the viewing position? If not, I would avoid it, but if so, it certainly looks interesting.

C

CharleySmink

I have the original Mamiya HX401 4x5 adapter, after changing to the DM back it became useless for me, do you want to buy it from me. It works fine with all graflockfittings and also no need to be scary of the ccd being unprotected as it always is while changing the ZD digiback on or off the body

L

Lozit

Hello, i found this post while i was looking for informations about how to use my zdback on a large format camera.

It seems that the hx401 is the only way to mount my zd back on a technical camera.

I heard that some back are not good with tilt and shift, so i was wondering if the ZD back will be good or not ?

I'm really happy with the quality of the ZD back with my Mamiya and my 150mm macro.
I would be happy to work with tilt and shift but i dont want to loose on image quality (of course i will have to find a good lens, i was thinking about Apo Macro Sironar 120mm).

The other solution is to use this kind of adapter : http://goo.gl/Qqbnu to put the mamyia with the ZD on the back of the 4x5 camera.

But here again, difficult to find informations. Anyone already tested this kind of adapter ?