The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Date Counter on Hasselblad Site ?

fotografz

A H4D/40 would be a non-event IMO ... not worthy of all the countdown hype. Just another replacement model (replaces the H3D-II/31 as the intro level H digital). Not interested, I'll stick with the H4D/60.

But it makes sense given they are also doing a 60 Dalsa.

What may still be a surprise is if it is fully integrated rather than modular, smaller, and priced to make it attractive for high end DSLR users.

But not ground breaking IMHO.

A CMOS sensor would be another matter altogether ... especially if accompanied by Live View.

Just a couple of days to go.

-Marc

adamduckworth

Well, there's an ad in a UK photo magazine that went to subscribers a couple of days ago, saying it is indeed an H4D-40, at an new entry-level affordable price of £12,995 + Vat + £15,269 in the UK.

The ad has the baby's face and talk of a Feb 10 worldwide launch at 50 locations of the new camera.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well have to say though I really like my P40+ so with Hassy coming with a 40 first does not surprise me and second I think a smart move on Hassy's part. Be interesting to see what they use though Kodak or Dalsa. My guess it is the 60 Dalsa cropped like the P40+ is to the P65+. Have to say these are good deals and I am not feeling left out for a second with a 40 mpx back at all. Hopefully like the P40+ the Hassy owners will see improvements over the 39 legacy sensors. I know I am seeing some really nice stuff coming out of this sensor so for the Hassy folks something to look forward to. Look forward to this announcement

thomas

Now if it is a 40MP crop 1.3 digiback on a Hasselblad camera that's not really worth the hype.
But if it is a DLSR- or S2-like 40MP camera that's certainly something.
A 40 MP DSLR with...
- Recompose-AF
- sharp edges (in distinction from the S2)
- probably quite a high frame/sec rate
- the whole line of Hasselblad accessories available right now
- a mature software
- noticable less expensive than the S2
... and the brand name "Hasselbald".

But from the announcement I actually think it's more an online galery thing...

we will see...

Guy Mancuso

Thomas not so sure and please no engineer here but if it was a DSLR not sure they could use there existing glass with the lens to sensor distance needed. But a DSLR style would certainly be interesting to see.

fotografz

Even though I may not be as interested in a H4D/40 ... I also think it is a natural and smart move ... and frankly, I'm not so sure a 40 wouldn't suit my needs better than a 60 if it works in the manner of the Phase One kit. I never had a big issue with the H3D-II/31, and like the quickness and higher ISO of that camera a lot.

-Marc

thomas

Thomas not so sure and please no engineer here but if it was a DSLR not sure they could use there existing glass with the lens to sensor distance needed. But a DSLR style would certainly be interesting to see.
you're right.
Me personally I don't see any real difference between an S2 and a Hassy (back calibrated to body; lenses calibrated for focus shift). It's more about the marketing. Hasseblad is certainly a very strong name with a very strong history - if they sell this (imagined) camera strictly as a DSLR at a killer price - so targeting users interessted in a DSLR or an S2 - it might be very interessting.

Guy Mancuso

Marc have to say you saw those results I got from the high ISO stuff and also the speed of the system. I'm pretty impressed. If the Hassy is like that very compelling

fotografz

Marc have to say you saw those results I got from the high ISO stuff and also the speed of the system. I'm pretty impressed. If the Hassy is like that very compelling
I go back and forth since my needs vary a lot.

On one hand I'd love to dump all the DSLR stuff like you and Jack have done. I had hoped the S2 would do that for me, and it still is on the shopping list. So a H4D/40 would fit that criteria like a glove since I rarely shoot above ISO 1000 with any camera, and even the H3D-II/31 could do that. The new focusing would fix the one niggle I had with using MFD for weddings (I use the M9 for candid works).

One the other hand there is the studio work ... like stuff I published on the other thread (fabrics and wheels pics). But that type of work has fallen off considerably in the last few years ... and it is iffy at best for the next few years.

Let's see what Hassey has ... we'll know by this time tomorrow.

-Marc

T

tetsrfun

Let's see what Hassey has ... we'll know by this time tomorrow.
Reports of ads in UK mags. Feb 10 launch of HD4-40....If that's it, a lot of hype for not much new.

Steve

Nick-T

Says 19 hours. Needs a firmware update. LOL

keep us posted Nick
Will do Guy... I'm just wondering who wrote the flash script that had the whole ****ing thing (can I say "thing"?) melt down when the clock hit zero...

Nick-T
The cuss script cut in thank goodness..

tjv

I'm sure glad Hasselblad stuck to cameras on the lunar missions and didn't help out with the countdown stop watch. Can you imagine? T-minus 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 ..... Oh, wait. We're eighteen hours early. Can you come back at 16:00?

tjv

Also, you've got to wonder how Leica will fear on sales of the S2 when Robert White has it listed at £14246.81 ex VAT and Hasselblad themselves have priced the H4D-40, according to the photographed article above, at £13K ex VAT, including an 80mm standard lens and its own proprietary raw converter. Most dealers I know of sell items slightly below manufacturers RRP. I've said it a few times, but the S2 would suit me down to the ground if only it were priced more in line with the competition. I would appreciate all it has going for it, in particular the weather seals, integrated body and back plus form factor. The only feature I don't like, price aside, is the "Leica Format" 3x2 ratio! Go figure! I honestly hope the S2 gathers momentum and catches on, only then will prices fall to be within my reach. I look forward to that day, and in the mean time I guess the new baby Hasselblad will be closest to getting my money. Or the next D4x, or the next Phase system.... Or.... Or..... Stuff it, I'm gonna go back to film!

T.Karma

Quote:

"Also, you've got to wonder how Leica will fear on sales of the S2 when Robert White has it listed at £14246.81 ex VAT and Hasselblad themselves have priced the H4D-40, according to the photographed article above, at £13K ex VAT, including an 80mm standard lens and its own proprietary raw converter. Most dealers I know of sell items slightly below manufacturers RRP. I've said it a few times, but the S2 would suit me down to the ground if only it were priced more in line with the competition. I would appreciate all it has going for it, in particular the weather seals, integrated body and back plus form factor. "

Once you pay this amount of money, it really doesn't matter anymore, does it?