The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Challenge: Shot of the Decade

aboudd

Now, this one will have you staring at your navel for hours. Have a few cups of expresso at hand. Consider your work for between Jan 1 2000 and Dec 31 2009 and decide which image gave you the most satisfaction, frustration, fun or angst ... and post it.

I offer up my choice personal image, titled "Natal Crease," taken in Martinique, on film, (remember film?) probably Velvia with my Hasselblad, 50MM lens. I've been looking at a large print of this photo since about mid-decade and still do not tire of it.

Last edited:

KeithL

http://www.keithlaban.co.uk/171_4_large.html

To capture this scene meant spending years re-visiting the location until the subject and conditions matched the vision of the image in my mind. The flowers only open when the weather is warm and sunny and move in the slightest breeze. The flowers also bleach out on film with the merest hint of sunlight.

On this particular occasion when I arrived the subject had never looked better. Although the wind was blowing and the sun shinning I set up the camera regardless. This time I was lucky, towards sunset the wind dropped, the sun hazed over, the flowers remained open and I was able to make a number of exposures before they closed.

The image has sold time and again as a print and used under license by clients including Hasselblad. Sometimes perseverance is worth the effort :)

KeithL

Derek, many thanks, much appreciated.

I have to say, when I look back at shots such as this I thank the gods that I now have 12+ stops of dynamic range rather than 5!

bensonga

I'm glad this includes images from medium format film, since I've made so few images with my Hasselblad CFV.

<Retracted: Here's probably the best of mine. Pentax 67, Death Valley National Park at Zabriskie Point. I would have picked my photograph from Zion National Park, but I think that was taken in 1998 or 1999 (I need to keep better records).>

Decided to go with an image that is more typical of the stuff I shoot day to day, week to week, for better or worse.

Hasselblad 501CM, 50mm Distagon, Ilford Delta 100, Epson V750 Pro scan.

Gary

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

Lovely photos everyone! Keith -- I have long remembered that image of yours...I have seen it before through photo.net, and it has always impressed me a great deal. There are such wonderful contrasts in texture and color, but a lovely overall symmetry in the composition. It is no surprise that Hasselblad has used it for their promotional material, because it really shows off the possibilities of the square format.

I am going to choose this one for medium format, perhaps not because it is my favorite or best photograph of the last decade (which is actually longer than I have been taking pictures...I started in 2002), but because I think it demonstrates the kind of images I most like to take:

I took this image on a visit to the Faeroe Islands in 2007. It was taken with a Mamiya 7II and the 43mm lens. The reason I like it so much is that it captures not only the beautiful countryside in the Faeroe Islands, but also shows how people interact with the land. I love landscapes, but I usually prefer to have some human element within them -- I find the ways people inhabit the land just as interesting as the land itself. So for this photo, I see the sea, the sky, the cliffs, and the people trying to make a life on a tiny, windswept chain of islands in the north atlantic. I think the small figure working in the fields and small houses in the much broader vista of the sea, clouds and hills help give expression to that feeling.
Beyond that, it represents what I like to do -- I knew very little about the Faeroe Islands, but it seemed interesting, so I decided to go -- I rented a car and drove around the islands for a week. I used photography as a means of engaging the place...as I saw the land for the first time, my camera saw the land for the first time. While I definitely like to continuously revisit certain places I love, I think it is very difficult to relive that first moment of wonder when you see a new place -- often the purest photographs come from visiting a place for the first time. I love that feeling of discovery, and I think that is another reason why I liked this photo -- it was that sort of picture...I was seeing it for the first time as the viewer is.

P.S. I hate that image for at least one reason, however -- it is a monster to print. It looks best in a real silver print, but that requires flashing, extensive and fussy burning in the sky, dodging in the town, split grade printing....you name it. It requires the whole bag of tricks. I was lucky enough to work on this print with Brian Young of ICP (he prints for Nachtwey, Bruce Davidson, Eugene Richards, ICP, Magnum and any number of other great photographs and institutions), and he really helped me improve on it. The analog print looks much better than the jpeg I have posted here.

Last edited:

KeithL

Many thanks, Stuart, and fascinating insight into your own choice and reasons for choosing it!

Folks, I'd love to see some more...

Y Sol

here's a photo (not exactly from the last decade and not medium format),
I took this photo in 1996.
Art Farmer was a wonderful trumpet player and I had the opportunity
to make this photo after a concert in my hometown.
I still have a lot of polaroid 665 and I continue this series of jazz portraits.
Art Farmer died in 1999.

Y Sol

Last edited:

jecxz

I'm going to post two images from 2007 because I was injured right after making the first one, then managed to be able to make the second one, then had to rush home because my father-in-law was very ill.

The first image (H2, 100VS, 35mm, f29 @ 32 seconds) was at the end of the road in Cartwright, Labrador (located here http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=53.706767,-57.012691&spn=0.080373,0.161705&z=13)

The roads in Labrador are quite terrible on tires and I injured my back while changing a flat tire (180,000 mosquitoes and assorted bugs helped). The injury inflamed a nerve in my back and I was unable to walk. I picked up a walking stick so I could hobble around.

Over the next several days, I managed to drive south to a Canadian hospital in Blanc-Sablon, in northern Quebec, where they took x-rays and said I'd have to wait for the film to be shipped to the mainland for review!?!?!? (They incorrectly assumed my hip replacement was malfunctioning (I had a hip replacement from a backpacking injuring in 2001).)

I didn't want to wait for "several" days so I took the ferry across to Newfoundland. It had been several days since the injury and the inflammation was easing up (since I wasn't moving as much due to the pain) and I made the decision to continue my trip east (and not drive home to Pennsylvania). I drove, shooting all the while, and stopped in Gander for a couple of days. The pain had subsided and I was feeling much better. For a couple of days I explored the northern coast and found this landscape (located here http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=49.324451,-53.679199&spn=0.177001,0.32341&z=12)

I made this photograph with my H2, 35mm, Velvia 50 and a grad ND to slow the exposure to capture the froth. I was lucky the iceberg wandered into the scene.

My wife called the next day and said her father was quite ill, she worried he may not live much longer. I immediately made the decision to drive home instead of continuing my trip east to St. John’s. I made the 1,500 drive home only stopping once at a NJ rest-stop for an hour of sleep. He passed away 20 minutes after I arrived home. It was very sad.

These two photographs have been in several juried gallery exhibitions and have sold quite well. It was my hardest trip, worth it, except for my father-in-law.

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
http://www.jecxz.com

Last edited:

arashm

Jecxz
I read your post and it brings up an interesting point for me.
I've always had this fascination with knowing that there is always a story that goes along with the images we create. Which the viewer is not usually aware of.
I usually shoot a lot of snaps on set on commercial jobs, it's always fascinating going back and looking at them in a few years.
Thank you for posting.
am

jecxz

Jecxz
I read your post and it brings up an interesting point for me.
I've always had this fascination with knowing that there is always a story that goes along with the images we create. Which the viewer is not usually aware of.
I usually shoot a lot of snaps on set on commercial jobs, it's always fascinating going back and looking at them in a few years.
Thank you for posting.
am
Arashm, I think you are right, there is a story behind every photograph. While the viewer may never know the story, I believe sometimes it can be as interesting as the photograph itself.

Kind regards,
Derek

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hasselblad H3D/39, Lens HC100, F4, ISO50

This shot was taken on 2009-12-31 at 5PM at Danube River / Aggsbach / Austria - one of my favorite spots. Also an interesting coincidence that I just came around almost at the end of the last decade with my new MF camera equipment - and actually much more ;)

FUTURE IS NOW !!!

Last edited:

Analog6

Wonderful images, everyone.

This is an easy one for me. It was a long held ambition to get a good shot of this lighthouse, the most easterly point in Australia. I arranged to meet a friend there for dawn (it's a 45 min drive) on this day, and when I woke at 3.15 it was pouring rain and I lay in my nice cosy bed with my Siamese cat wondering if I was totally nuts.

I logged on and found the friend has cried off (wimp) but decided in the event clouds would look more interesting than plain blue sky anyway. I captured some glorious crepuscular rays over the ocean shots too.

The icing on the cake was when I entered this pic (a slightly different crop) in the Digital Photography (Aust) magazines 2009 Photography of the Year and won a bronze award. It was the first time I had even entered a comp, I put in 5 images, got 4 bronze awards (70-79) and the 'misser-out' shot even scored 69.

I needed guy ropes for a few days to stop me floating off!

H2, 80mm f 2.8, Phase One P20, f8, 1/320, ISO 200

bensonga

As I've said on the Hasselbladinfo.com site before....this is a beautiful image Odille and congratulations on such an impressive showing in your first photo competition!

Gary

carstenw

I think I know which shot I will have to choose. This was taken with my Contax 645 AF and 35mm f/3.5 Distagon, on Adox CHS 25 film, scanned on an Epson V750.

The shot is one of my favorites, but probably not my favorite. It is, however, one of the first shots in my cemetary series, and one of the key shots which made me realize that my little cemetary interest had turned into a serious long-term project. As such, it marks a turning point for my photography, and a maturing of my talent, in my own eyes (a longer version of the story of this process can be read here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpost.php?p=178702&postcount=100). This makes the shot very special to me, and my shot of the decade.

Last edited:

bensonga

Nice image Carsten. I read your post on the other thread and really enjoyed it. I've been in a bit of a photographic rut myself lately and so enjoyed hearing how you found a way to focus on a project that re-invigorates your photography. Thanks for sharing that with us. Now if I could just find something to work on that would do the same for me. I've just about exhausted the junk yards and railway yards along Ship Creek. Time to branch out in new directions I guess.

Gary

carstenw

I am glad that you found something in my writing that you could use.

When you say "exhausted", do you mean that they were projects, and that you are emotionally done with those subjects, or do you mean that you don't feel that you are getting anywhere with it, in spite of time spent on it? If the latter, maybe there is still enough scope for a project there, perhaps a smaller project since you have spent time on it already.