The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How are you feeling about the Mamiya 45D these days?

RayM

Hi, While I'm for my 645DF, 80D, and P40+ to be delivered I'm starting to look at my next lenses for it. I'm confident that I'll be picking up a 120D real soon, it sounds like a real keeper, and I'm also looking at the 45D. In looking at other threads, I see that some of you weren't feeling particularly enthusiastic about the 45D when it was first being delivered. If you have a 45D, how do you feel about it now after using it for awhile? I'm moving from the Contax Zeiss 45, and I really grew to like it. It sounds like maybe I'm going to miss it. Any thoughts? Thanks, Ray

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I got a good copy back in September and have been very happy. I would say the extreme corners now with my P65+ go a bit soft, but we're talking a very tiny portion of the extreme corner -- net-net, I am very happy with my current one.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Jack, how many did you have to go through till you found one you'd like to keep? Ray
I tried 2 older and 2 of the newer D versions when it first came out and they all were way soft about 3/4 out towards the corners, effectively rendering them about 55mm lenses. However this last batch seems to be far better as evidenced by several folks who have more recently acquired them.

RayM

Thanks guys. Seems like it will be very important to put any of these lenses through the paces to make sure all is well.

I just can't wait to get my new DF/40+. I'm chomping at the bit, and Guy, now that you've had your week of shooting stuff in LA, can't wait to hear in detail about your impressions.

Thanks again, Ray

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I sold my original 45 mm in anticipation of the 45-90 zoom, which of course never transpired. So I bit the bullet and bought the 45 mm D version which arrived late today.

Haven't been able to test it much, but so far I see slight softness at f2.8 improving nicely at f4. F5.6/8 seems to be the sweet spot, though the corners are best at f11. (Capture One's corner sharpness tool is very useful with this lens.)

I think I'm going to be very happy with it - it has a crispness to the contrast I really like.

This shot was taken a couple of hours ago!

Bill

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hi, While I'm for my 645DF, 80D, and P40+ to be delivered I'm starting to look at my next lenses for it. I'm confident that I'll be picking up a 120D real soon, it sounds like a real keeper, and I'm also looking at the 45D. In looking at other threads, I see that some of you weren't feeling particularly enthusiastic about the 45D when it was first being delivered. If you have a 45D, how do you feel about it now after using it for awhile? I'm moving from the Contax Zeiss 45, and I really grew to like it. It sounds like maybe I'm going to miss it. Any thoughts? Thanks, Ray
The first batch we tested were hardly better than the 45mm non D lens.

Since then the samples we've tested and delivered to customers have been across the board good. Maybe we were unlucky, maybe there was a problem that was corrected - probably we'll never know for 100%. But I'm very happy to recommend the 45mm D now.

You'll be happy.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

mAlKhamis

hey guys sorry for intervening,, but what about the 28mm D on the P40+ with regard to edge to edge sharpness ,, is it really the best MF ultra wide angle available in the market ?
I'm actually considering it,,, if i finally decided to go with the P40+ ! cheers!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Should be noted these are pretty extreme wide angle shots as foreground is a few feet away with quite a distance to background. With corner sharpness with a P40 crop factor is extremely good. Maybe the last lens i would sell

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Tested the 45D at some length today - very pleased with it. Here's the same subject as last night's sunset only at dawn this time.

Two other observations - I really like the Virtual Horizon on the P65+, and I really really like the battery life of the Phase DF camera. This is exposure number 750 on the same set of Sony alkalines that came with the camera in December. Seems like they're going to last forever.

Bill

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Like the Gilette ad...
I liked this lens so much...
I bought it
-bob

mAlKhamis

P40+ with 28D no corner sharpness applied

Wow Guy!!!!!:bugeyes: i couldn't agree more,, those are really the best ,, no questions ,, the 28 D is really the best in it's class !! thank you so much for posting these excellent shot and cheers! :thumbs:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
One does have to be careful with this lens. Because of the bubble in the lens design this big round lightbulb shape you have to be aware of focusing it . You are better off focusing closer on subjects than stop it down to carry the DOF. Most lenses like the first 1/3 to focus on in regards to DOF and than let the background fall in. This lens you may want to focus closer in. Also don't be afraid to stop this down either some of these are at F22. This lensI never really noticed diffraction which is interesting. I 'm just not so sure where it's limit really falls. Also on a P65+ you will get soft corners so on that back regard it more like a 30mm instead and of course you can use corner sharpness which does do a nice job.

The 45D and 28D are a perfect match together. Just a FYI my lens now are 28D,45D,80D,150D, 200mm Apo 2.8 manual and a 50mm shift.

Hauxon

Guy theses images are really nice and that setup is a total dream. As a gearslut you must be loosing sleep having not much to dream about anymore. ....right! hehehe

One day I'll have a "perfect" setup and can focus on making pictures, or something. :p

Hrannar