The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The MF kit...ideas and reasons...

fotografz

Marc,
Your last couple of posts get me back to some thinking that I have been wondering about. Let's go with the idea that the Kodak and Dalsa sensors have not yet been fully exploited, and that all of the MF backs may have capabilities that will continue to be realized with improving software. That IS a bit different than the present 35mm DSLR world to some degree, though folks will argue that the software created by the camera manufacturer outperforms other RAW conversions, since there is access to some "secret sauce" information in the RAW file. Not really wanting to debate that part, but one can see great conversions with Canon's DPP that does not quite come out with some other conversions, unless one creates custom camera profiles and tweaks the heck out of things. Same can be said for Nikon. Only issue really becomes that the OEM software generally sucks with respect to workflow and processing performance. Big downside when shooting a lot and having to do all that processing. That is why other conversions have become successful to some degree....ACR comes with PS, and creates workflow opportunities that others generally do not (Aperture and Lightroom excepted). Problem is that ACR, though good, still kinds sucks with some files and conversions. So that takes some of us back to alternative workflows and processing options, in order to get better RAW conversion.

Holding that thread a minute, and shifting back to the MF world, it seems like there is a similar struggle brewing around backs and software, but here it may make a lot more difference. (The DAC stuff for the Hasselblad HCD lenses comes to mind.) So, though MF backs may all be about the same in what they capture, and some may be more adaptable to more body platforms, one should be considering how the RAW files are able to be converted. This gets to your question to David about what happens with the generation of DNG files (maybe more universal format for conversion) from Sinar, and what data is contained and usable. (You may recall that this was a huge discussion when Adobe created DNG, and the OEMs keep fighting it by limiting or handicapping how data gets written to or accessed in files, Nikon in particular, but all raised questions.)

This is getting back to some of my original questions/requests about creating some "dream kits" for folks to consider. I expressly wanted to keep the software discussion to the side, but that may not be so possible, given some of the recent advances in gear and how software is being used to better exploit those. After reading a lot of stuff, and especially the further discussions here, I started to think in my own mind that a Sinar back might be a preferred choice, as it seems to allow the greatest flexibility to connect to lots of other bodies/systems through adapters (expensive adapters, but it beats the dedicated design, unless one only has a single body). My thoughts there were that something like the Hy6 body would offer good options, and if needed, an H3D body could be brought into play and still use that Sinar back, but have access to the HC lenses, like the HCD 28/4 (just an example here.....not married to the concept). That is sounding like it might work, BUT (and this is the question to ponder) will that combo be able to really exploit the lenses with the back, IF there is so much riding on the software part?

We were getting wound up a bit about the image look from the Phase v Sinar backs, and Thierry kept us on track with Sinar's philosophy of delivering a perfectly (as best as possible) neutral file that allows greatest utility. My question now shifts to whether that file will best exploit the other parts of things? If I placed a Sinar back on an H3D body with that HCD 28/4 lens, would I get or be able to use the same kinds of corrections and exploitation as if I used a Hasselblad back instead?

Is this the new direction that we will have to start thinking about, rather than JUST the labyrinth of which lenses/bodies/backs/adapters/cables work together and under what conditions?

LJ

P.S. Really not trying to overanalyze this, but since all of the gear has some hefty price tags associated with it, one's choices may need more careful consideration, unless there is a closet full of older gear and folks are just trying to rearrange things for use. Even for folks like me that will be shopping new and used, trying to figure out a workable set of things is looking a bit more complicated, based upon what I would want to be shooting. This does get back to my original thoughts about the Target Use, what gear and why. The assumption that all things are about the same with respect to backs and bodies and lenses may need some further thought if software and its ability to exploit the gear plays a bigger role. Make sense?
Actually, you can over analyze this, but something this expensive does have to be studied carefully.

NO, you can't you get all the benefits of a H/C 28 using a different back. It's the integration of back, camera, lens, firmware and software that makes the DAC corrections work. And it's apparent to me that we are seeing just the beginning of benefits from this more complete integration.

If you recall my previous post, we all have a basic decision that has to be made. Do you want a Leaf Shutter System or a Focal Plane System? If you want both, then you must support 2 or 3 systems of lenses and accessories ... however, with choices from Sinar and Hasselblad CF you can purchase one back to work on both ... with the penalty of losing the image improvements fast coming on line from the more integrated systems ... some of which we don't even know about yet.

IMO, and experience, the greatest utility is with the leaf shutter integrated systems like Hasselblad H3D or the Hy6. But that's my utility. Very little that I have to do, am asked to do, or can think of doing that isn't accommodated by my current selection. I've already demonstrated in pictures not words, that the lenses work, that there are fast lenses, and that the AF is state of the art for MF. So, I've personally accepted the idea of letting go of the past and all the legacy systems that cost so much to maintain in the ever changing digital world. I've kept some like my Zeiss 500 lenses to use on the H, and the 203FE system so I can shoot film and scan on our 949 ... but the Contax 645 is gone, the Leica M7s are gone, I'm selling off the Mamiya RZ and will eventually sell the 203FE and 503CW bodies and some of the lenses. Some of these systems are discontinued and I figured that eventually it would rear up and bite me ... like the $60. little battery drawer I lost for the 203FE. Adapters here, sync cords there. Big PITA IMO. One clean system that does what I need done. Make money, be happy.

In the end you have to make your own way. I did, and life is getting easier.

David Klepacki

Hope this doesn't sound like a pissing contest, but I'm just trying to keep it real.

David, Hasselblad does indeed make a digital back for the discontinued 200 series focal plane cameras, the CFV, and it is the only fully portable back shooting to a CF card that doesn't require sync cords, complex triggering devices, or being tethering to a computer.

People keep saying that the Sinar backs will work on my 203FE, which is of great interest to me since I own an extensive 200 system ... but the published information on the Sinar web site indicates that only the non-portable tethered backs will work, the portable ones using untethered CF card capture clearly do NOT list the 200 series ... only the Hasselblad 500 series leaf shutter system ... which most every manufacturer supports.

Even tethered digital operation on a 200 series camera is not a Sinar exclusive, in fact it is a limitation compared to the use of a Imacon or Hasselblad CF back with a V mount iAdapter on a 200 series camera. Devices such as the Kapture Group One Shot Cable Release (Cat#-HA-001) allow use of those backs tethered or untethered while shooting to a CF card. The limitation is that the camera would have to be tripod mounted for cable release type shooting ... but the CF back need not be tethered to a computer for field work.

In fact, this is the solution I am currently considering, one CF back for use on a H2F, my 500 series cameras, and 200 series cameras. The only pause I have is to continue supporting aging, non integrated MF platforms.
Marc, no offense taken here. We both have different knowledge and experiences, and so it will be impossible to be completely unbiased. I am not trying to challenge you or anyone else, but only sharing my thinking openly. I really appreciate your insights, in this thread and elsewhere.

As to the 200 series Hasselblad, technically you are correct about the 16MP CFV backs being a Hasselblad "solution" for it. That chip and technology is about as old as the Kodak back though, and I do not think the images are competitive with current MF backs using 33 and higher megapixels, although I agree that is subjective and debatable according to the demands of the output medium. Some people claim that the new Nikon D3 with similar pixel size and number outperforms (or performs equally well) the CFV back, but I cannot support this claim personally.

Regarding the use of the Sinar backs on the Hasselblad 200 cameras. It is true that their website does not explicitly indicate support of the 200 series, but they do. There is only one tiny cable, maybe five or six inches long that needs to be used. I can confirm that it works hand-held, untethered, and without anything extra like the cable release from Kapture Group.

Marc, I know you love the Hasselblad, and your images prove that you can get the best from it. But, I think it could be a mistake to go with a single CF back to drive your 500 and 200 series cameras, since you will be hampered by its cumbersome/restricted usage on the 200 series. The Sinarbacks have no such restrictions. And, you will have the benefit to explore new camera bodies with minimal incremental investment by adding other camera adapters.

David Klepacki

David, does the Sinar software corrections you make migrate with the file to be applied to the DNG file for use in other post processing programs?

My experience has been that the manufacturer's Processing programs are maximized for their backs. Leaf Capture, and Hasselblad Flexcolor/Phocus offer DNG conversions (don't know if Phase C1 does.) ... but all the other RAW processing programs pale in comparison to what can be extracted from the native software.
First, the Sinar software is so poor that I cannot deal with it. Even their new eXposure software is ... not great... to be polite. Basically, I get the file into DNG format and take it immediately to another program. Once in DNG, you can use Lightroom, ACR, or .... even Capture One! (I get a kick out of using Phase One software to improve Sinar images.)

Oh, forgot to answer your question. Yes, Sinar's optimized data gets integrated into the DNG, so it can be used by the other programs.

PeterA

Well my dream kit is any back on my Alpa for wide shooting (I use Leaf Aptus 75) and a Hasselblad back on an H series body using H series lenses or CF/CFE lenses on same via adaptor which Hasselblad supplies....I just bought a nice used one from Marc.

I am amused by people raving on about how good this lens is versus that lens. Really my experience is that all MF lenses are good.

My testing using my work flow sees me prefer H series lenses above any other make for IQ reasons - I like my lenses to be very sharp/high contrast and deliver lovely bokeh - the Fujiblad lenses deliver the same look as my Leica lenses deliver - and thats what i like.

If I want softer look I just use my Hasselblad V to H adaptor and put on a CF or CFE lens and use that. but I hardly ever feel like doing this when the best lenses are my Fujiblads..

there is a reason Hasselblad bodies and lenses dominate the market - they work :)

David Klepacki

... My question now shifts to whether that file will best exploit the other parts of things? If I placed a Sinar back on an H3D body with that HCD 28/4 lens, would I get or be able to use the same kinds of corrections and exploitation as if I used a Hasselblad back instead?

Is this the new direction that we will have to start thinking about, rather than JUST the labyrinth of which lenses/bodies/backs/adapters/cables work together and under what conditions? ...
You bring up a great point. I also would like to know if the Hasselblad DAC corrections can be applied and then carried with the DNG file for other programs to use. If not, this is somewhat counter to what the DNG "standard" is all about. The basic philosophy is that once in DNG format, the image becomes immortal in the sense that it can be decoded/converted at any future point in time, whether or not Hasselblad or anyone still exists....sort of like film. Once in DNG, it should not have a dependency on ANY other software.

This issue is especially important, since none of the Fujiblad lenses are APO or corrected for CA optically. To get maximum benefit from these lenses, the Hasselblad software MUST be used. It would be a shame if these corrections could not be folded into the DNG.

Last edited:

fotografz

Marc, no offense taken here. We both have different knowledge and experiences, and so it will be impossible to be completely unbiased. I am not trying to challenge you or anyone else, but only sharing my thinking openly. I really appreciate your insights, in this thread and elsewhere.

As to the 200 series Hasselblad, technically you are correct about the 16MP CFV backs being a Hasselblad "solution" for it. That chip and technology is about as old as the Kodak back though, and I do not think the images are competitive with current MF backs using 33 and higher megapixels, although I agree that is subjective and debatable according to the demands of the output medium. Some people claim that the new Nikon D3 with similar pixel size and number outperforms (or performs equally well) the CFV back, but I cannot support this claim personally.

Regarding the use of the Sinar backs on the Hasselblad 200 cameras. It is true that their website does not explicitly indicate support of the 200 series, but they do. There is only one tiny cable, maybe five or six inches long that needs to be used. I can confirm that it works hand-held, untethered, and without anything extra like the cable release from Kapture Group.

Marc, I know you love the Hasselblad, and your images prove that you can get the best from it. But, I think it could be a mistake to go with a single CF back to drive your 500 and 200 series cameras, since you will be hampered by its cumbersome/restricted usage on the 200 series. The Sinarbacks have no such restrictions. And, you will have the benefit to explore new camera bodies with minimal incremental investment by adding other camera adapters.
Now that is good intel David. Sinar should update their information. I don't want to continue supporting legacy systems any longer ... but the 203FE is the exception to that. It was, and still is one of my favorite MF cameras and I use the lenses on a Canon 1DsMKIII from time to time.

BTW, the old Kodak back is/was no match for the CFV. The Kodak back was 12 bit and the CFV is 16. Plus, the CFV has benefited greatly from firmware and software upgrades, where the Kodak back is dead to that kind of improvement. As to the Nikon D3 owners claims ... in their dreams. I have the D3, it's great ... IQ is not even close to that of the CFV which I recently sold but used extensively. The D3 has close to 9X9 micron pixels? How'd they do that in a 35mm space with 12.1 megs? ... the CFV sensor is much larger and is less than 4 megs more. The math doesn't work.

LJL

Marc,
Like Canon, Nikon and others have figured out that both microlenses and reducing the space between pixels really helps a lot. Yet as you point out, while the results are really pretty decent on the 35mm digital front, they still are not coming up close to the MF front, which appears to be poised for more gallops forward soon. (Sorry, could not resist the horsey thing.)

LJ

David Klepacki

... My testing using my work flow sees me prefer H series lenses above any other make for IQ reasons - I like my lenses to be very sharp/high contrast and deliver lovely bokeh - the Fujiblad lenses deliver the same look as my Leica lenses deliver - and thats what i like.
Peter, I do not think you tested thoroughly enough. Since you like very sharp/high contrast and lovely bokeh, AND Hasselblad glass....you must have missed testing the Hasselblad 300/2.8 Superachromat. This lens cannot be used on the Hasselblad H cameras. And, I do not think there is anything for the H cameras that can shoot 300mm at F2.8.

gogopix

Subscriber
why cant the 300/ 2.8 (and 1.7) be used?? I assumne you are talking about the $25,000 system. it is just another V lens, so the adapter should work, yes?

Also, I have a Schneider-Kreutznach 300mm/2.0 (yes, really!) weighs 16 lbs. Made for the military, and has a hasselblad mount. I haven't even tried it yet (bought it about a year ago) on my Contax with MAM-1. It turns out it is too wide for the Wemberley, so I had to get the Joba from Canada (I think it is almost 8" diameter, at the waist!

But I am intrigued by the new H2F camera. It will take all the HC and HCD lenses, V and SHOULD take other backs. I may try to change my mount on the P45+

Victor

T

thsinar

Marc,

David is right: it works this way.

However, we do purposely not mention about the eMotion backs on the 200 series and these configurations are officially not supported by Sinar, mainly because of timing issues.

Best regards,
Thierry

Now that is good intel David. Sinar should update their information.

fotografz

Marc,
Like Canon, Nikon and others have figured out that both microlenses and reducing the space between pixels really helps a lot. Yet as you point out, while the results are really pretty decent on the 35mm digital front, they still are not coming up close to the MF front, which appears to be poised for more gallops forward soon. (Sorry, could not resist the horsey thing.)

LJ
Most of the Pros I have contact with are less interested in even more pixel count (maybe top out at 55 or 60 in a true full frame 645 sensor) ... and far more interested in solutions to moire', more speed, tilt-shift lenses and other practical working needs.

fotografz

Getting back to the original intent of the thread here's my "Pie-In-The-Sky" wish list ... mostly based on working needs blended with a pure wish list.

A 6X6, 40 to 50 meg digital back with larger pixels ... that fits on a 6X6 leaf shutter camera ... AND fits a smaller 645 focal plane shutter camera with rotating mount for landscape or portrait orientation. Select fast APO lenses for the 645, and an array of specialty lenses for the Leaf shutter camera ... like some T/S optics, macro, etc.

An AF camera with a viewfinder 4 corner array similar to that of the Contax N; Built-in Pocket Wizard 4 channel sender; Live view LCD with 10X ability like the Canon and Nikon ... (IMO, this belongs on studio cameras more than the DSLRs). Built in wireless transfer for studio work.

The name for this system would be the "Marc-O-Matic.

: -)

LJL

Most of the Pros I have contact with are less interested in even more pixel count (maybe top out at 55 or 60 in a true full frame 645 sensor) ... and far more interested in solutions to moire', more speed, tilt-shift lenses and other practical working needs.
Tend to agree with you on this. More pixels sometimes is just more pixels. I was thinking more about some of the software advances when I made the comment. In the shorter term, I would rather seen clean ISO bumped a bit more, and more lens feature options with less cumbersome adapters. Asking for a lot, but maybe not. Tilt-shift would be nice also, as would faster write times to reduce time between frames. In this last case, more pixels works against that as it means even bigger files to clear faster.

LJ

LJL

Getting back to the original intent of the thread here's my "Pie-In-The-Sky" wish list ... mostly based on working needs blended with a pure wish list.

A 6X6, 40 to 50 meg digital back with larger pixels ... that fits on a 6X6 leaf shutter camera ... AND fits a smaller 645 focal plane shutter camera with rotating mount for landscape or portrait orientation. Select fast APO lenses for the 645, and an array of specialty lenses for the Leaf shutter camera ... like some T/S optics, macro, etc.

An AF camera with a viewfinder 4 corner array similar to that of the Contax N; Built-in Pocket Wizard 4 channel sender; Live view LCD with 10X ability like the Canon and Nikon ... (IMO, this belongs on studio cameras more than the DSLRs). Built in wireless transfer for studio work.

The name for this system would be the "Marc-O-Matic.

: -)
Marc,
Glad that you clarified this and even named this new "fantasy camera";)

My original thoughts were more about assembling kits from what we know exists or may be coming to market soon. Not complaining, as this does start to show some line separation that I had mentioned earlier.....Hasselblad thinking "full frame" means 48x48, while Sinar was thinking 56x56. Neither is your 60x60, but Sinar looks a bit closer. Now, will Dalsa or Kodak be able to build this at some affordable cost? Time may tell.

I do like the idea of the PW inside the camera for triggering strobes, rather than stuff hanging off the outside. Could drive all set-ups from the menu system.

You missed mentioning ability to work things up in any RAW conversion software, and having all camera correction info ported with files to trigger some new plug-ins that will do the job in whatever processing app you want.

Ah, so much to dream about.....back to reality for me for a bit....

LJ

atanabe

My MF kit:
Based on Hasselblad CFV because of the availability of lenses, bodies and finders. PRICE! CF lenses are less than $1000 per for good copies, 150s can be had for $499, 50s for $550. Bodies, 500 C/M to 503CW are good to go with the CFV, you can go exotic with modified FP bodies, 200 series. Weight, my Hassey kit weighs about the same as my Nikon kit, BUT I would probably need to always use a tripod for best results. Simplicity, the 500 series is mechanical, no circuits to go out and no additional batteries.
The setup:
Older SWC (non Multicoat)
50 CF
80 CF
110 F
180 CFi
2000FCW
500C/M
CFV back
The SWC is great for a "walk around" camera, the 2000 FCW can be used on flash sync at less than 1/60th with the 110 F and the entire package costs less than $11K I love my M8 for travel work but I really need to have an SLR for other types of work, the MF solution is by far the best quality to utility solution that I have found.

Al

fotografz

Marc,
Glad that you clarified this and even named this new "fantasy camera";)

My original thoughts were more about assembling kits from what we know exists or may be coming to market soon. Not complaining, as this does start to show some line separation that I had mentioned earlier.....Hasselblad thinking "full frame" means 48x48, while Sinar was thinking 56x56. Neither is your 60x60, but Sinar looks a bit closer. Now, will Dalsa or Kodak be able to build this at some affordable cost? Time may tell.

I do like the idea of the PW inside the camera for triggering strobes, rather than stuff hanging off the outside. Could drive all set-ups from the menu system.

You missed mentioning ability to work things up in any RAW conversion software, and having all camera correction info ported with files to trigger some new plug-ins that will do the job in whatever processing app you want.

Ah, so much to dream about.....back to reality for me for a bit....

LJ
Yeah, you're right LJ, I went off the deep end for a minute. Back to reality.

In essence, based on what's available today, the here and now and much study, I have my ideal MFD set-up for the spectrum of work I do. Hasselblad H3D/39-II, full range of H/C lenses from 28mm to 300mm + 1.7X + extension tubes, CF adapter and full range of the Zeiss 500 series optics from the Fish Eye to 350, all E type extension tubes, and 1.4X & 2X E extenders; Metz flash systems including a powerful digital potato masher type; Hasselblad Image Bank for CF back-up. Rollei Xact-II 6X9 with a H mount Kapture Group sliding adapter for the H3D/39 back, range of Rodenstock digital APOs from 28/2.8 to 210/5.6.

Rationale':

High sync speed is very important to me. For some mobile commercial location work, and most all outdoor event assignments I use flash ... mostly as fill. 1/125th top sync doesn't cut it. It's why in the days of film, the Hasselblad 500 (and all of the knock-offs that followed) was the weapon of choice. Now, a 1/800th top shutter speed can be limiting when shooting using bright ambient light with a fast H/C lens like the 100/2.2 ... however in practice the H3D/39-II allows an ISO 50, and it is a rare time indeed that I'm shooting in light so bright that ISO 50 doesn't get me to 1/800th @ f/2.2 if I want it. ON those rare occasions I either use a B+W-MC ND, or Polarizer... which is a lot easier than carrying a whole second system just for a few shots.

When in studio the 39 back mounted to the Xact provides access to optics that out perform anything made by anyone for MF cameras.

Caveat:

I do appreciate the use of focal plane shutter cameras. My prior experience was many years using a Contax 645AF & Kodak ProBack 645C ... then more recently a Mamiya 645AFD-II with a Leaf Aptus 75s. Using adapters, both of these cameras provided access to the full range of Zeiss FE lenses I already owned. There is something to be said for 1/4000th top shutter speed when using the 110/2FE @ f/2 ... though in practice, depending on the ISO, I rarely needed 1/4000th.

Again, in practice, the Contax had to be supplemented with another ProBack for use on my Leaf Shutter RZ. The Mamiya 645/Aptus simply fell into disuse, however the Aptus did fit the RZ ... so one back filled the dual application for leaf shutter & focal plane shutter cameras.

Conclusion:

Now, over the years, I've simply come to the conclusion that I don't like maintaining all these MF systems, various propriety sync cords, battery chargers, proprietary camera & digital back batteries, proprietary adapter plates ... and I really don't like supposedly mobile cameras with batteries hanging off the digital back, nor care for stop down metering with dumb adapters, nor anything requiring a Rube Goldberg sync cord connection ... my experience has been that the more stuff you add the more it gets in the way of shooting, and the more that can go wrong. As the saying goes: "shit happens", the more shit you add, the more that shit happens.

Addendum:

The one non-rational thing I would still consider is a Sinar back for my beloved Hasselblad 203FE system. Strictly personal. There is absolutely no reasoning in a business sense, none. I would be just for me. But I doubt I'll blow that kind of money on a personal indulgence in the current economic climate unless I could find a nice used or demo unit ... but I don't even know where to look for one. A mobile CF 22 meg Sinar back would do it for me.

Last edited:

LJL

Marc,
I would say you are probably teetering between my "Heavy Lifting" and "No Holds Barred" categories for sure. Your rational and gear selection make sense for the variety and kinds of work you do, and your images display that. Your comments about the leaf shutter capabilities also make a lot of sense. Again, not ruling out focal plane, as it does have its place also.....sort of like my appreciating the 1/8000th top end shutter speed on the M8 when shooting with the Noticlux outdoors at times ;-) This is still one of the things I think about with respect to more casual shooting in brighter light, but there are ways to mitigate things. If the shooting has mostly flash, even as fill, as you mention, then the leaf shutter with higher sync may be preferred. I still need to think through uses myself on this point.

Appreciate your comments about the hassle of maintaining too much disparate stuff. Honestly, THAT was the part that started to sound more daunting than practical. Folks still have their fav glass and a variety of options, so I am sure some of it is needed, as well as those that may not be working under time and budget deadlines for some shoots. But is seems that there some more "practical" routes for those solutions also, and that is good to hear and know.

Adding that Sinarback to your 203FE will probably tip the balance to "No Holds Barred" for your kit, at least until the "fantasy camera" comes along ;-)

LJ

LJL

My MF kit:
Based on Hasselblad CFV because of the availability of lenses, bodies and finders. PRICE! CF lenses are less than $1000 per for good copies, 150s can be had for $499, 50s for $550. Bodies, 500 C/M to 503CW are good to go with the CFV, you can go exotic with modified FP bodies, 200 series. Weight, my Hassey kit weighs about the same as my Nikon kit, BUT I would probably need to always use a tripod for best results. Simplicity, the 500 series is mechanical, no circuits to go out and no additional batteries.
The setup:
Older SWC (non Multicoat)
50 CF
80 CF
110 F
180 CFi
2000FCW
500C/M
CFV back
The SWC is great for a "walk around" camera, the 2000 FCW can be used on flash sync at less than 1/60th with the 110 F and the entire package costs less than $11K I love my M8 for travel work but I really need to have an SLR for other types of work, the MF solution is by far the best quality to utility solution that I have found.

Al
Al,
Thanks for sharing your selections and kit build. Your rationale on price, weight and availability of components is not lost, and your selection of things looks to cover a lot of ground for a fairly compact kit.

May I assume that your target use is more personal, plus having the ability to contract work as needed? Not that this is prying or critical, but sometimes it helps to understand selections by knowing what folks are shooting or are planning to shoot. Your gear sounds light and portable enough for travel and easy use, as you mentioned the SWC as a good walk around tool. I recall wanting that camera when it first came out. At the time, I was heavy into shooting Nikon professionally, and had just unloaded my Hasselblads that I used in the studio. My "love affair" with the SWC never really died, I guess.

Sounds like you are comfortable with your choices also, and that is good to hear.

LJ

David Klepacki

why cant the 300/ 2.8 (and 1.7) be used?? I assumne you are talking about the $25,000 system. it is just another V lens, so the adapter should work, yes? ...
Victor
Victor, the Hasselblad 300/2.8 lens will work for you, but not for Peter. This lens does not use a leaf shutter, so it will only work on the Hasselblad 200 series cameras or any camera with a focal plane shutter that can accept the Hasselblad V mount via an adapter (like Contax 645 or Mamiya 645).

The Hasselblad H series cameras are limited to lenses with leaf shutters only, even with their CF adapter. And, to be fair the Hy6 is also limited to leaf shutter lenses only.

David Klepacki

LJ,

I think we can all agree that no one camera does it all. I think you have to prioritize what are the most important features for you to have on your system, and list them linearly or at least grouped linearly, with the intent of trading off "lower" groups for "higher" groups. For example, your main festures could be (in random order here):

Shutter speed range (and possibly granularity, like 1/3 stop?... 1/10 stop?)
Max Flash Sync (and flash capabilities in general)
Autofocus capability (including focus confirmation of manual lenses)
Lens selection (e.g., 28mm a must? 300/2.8 a must? APO lenses? ...)
Adaptability for alternative lenses (e.g., Hasselblad V on Contax 645...)
Format (6x6 or 645)
Viewfinder selection (Waist Level Finder availability?)
Mirror Lock-up (or Mirror Pre-release?)
Technical movements (e.g., bellows, t/s lenses, t/s adapters)
Size, Weight, Hand-hold ability
Cost

I explicitly left out MFDB considerations. This is because I believe that ultimately a photographer interacts with his environment/subject through the lens. It is how he chooses to render that moment in time, whether it be freezing the action or creating a sense of motion or narrowing the DOF to emphasize a particular subtlty....etc. The selection of a MFDB should follow and support your choice of how you wish to capture your images.

In some sense, it is similar to film choice. I don't know of anyone who first decided on a film choice, and then built their camera system around that.
These are only my opinions of course. In reality, economics may force you one way or another. But at least, you should have a vision of where you would like to be.