Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why do you use MF? or: I am in the MF crisis...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why do you use MF? or: I am in the MF crisis...

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    My Hy6 focuses adequately in good light but in low light it can certainly hunt for focus. At it's best it doesn't compare to my Nikon D3 or the Canon pro bodies I've used in the past. I find the ability to manually focus varies widely from lens to lens. With the Rollei 110 f/2 Planar, for example, the image just pops into focus. I do not have metering problems with my copy of the Hy6, either with the prism or WLF. However, when I open the image in eXposure it appears to be underexposed as it's quite dark. This is easily adjusted in post (I use Lightroom these days) after the RAW files are converted in eXposure. Are you certain you're not assuming the files are underexposed because they show up dark?? By way of comparison, when I switch to the Contax 645 platform I have had significant exposure problems when using the WLF, but none while using the prism. I think it was Son who suggested that this was attributable to light leaking into the WLF. No such metering problems when shooting with WLF on the Hassy 203FE and, as far as the ability to manually focus, this is far and away the brightest and easiest to focus camera I've owned... and there's been a bunch
    David,
    I also experienced some difference between using WLF and Prism specially if you dont have the eye/head over the WLF. I understand that this must be light leaking into the WLF and I understand it plus dont have a problem with that. Makes only a small difference.
    Yes-images do show up dark in Exposure and I have to often push exp comp in Esposure-SOftware between .3 up to over 1 Stop, even when I had dialed in +.3 when taking the image.

I also agree that with the 110/2.0 manual focusing is most easy vs other slower lenses. But its huge and while its my favorite lens I dont allways want to carry it around. The 80 Xenotar AF is much lighter and also a very nice drawing but not aseasy to focus as the 110 IMO.

If you say the Hassy 203 has the brightest viewfinder/easiest to focus-would this also apply for the 205? Are you saying that Hassy viewfinder is brighter than the Rollei?

Post Thanks / Like

I also have the HY6,arTec and M9 cameras so you may be interested in my thoughts -- as confused as they are ! I know what you are saying about the M9 , it is a wonderful camera , if I could only have one camera the Leica would be it. When I first got it ( I was one of the lucky first ) I abandoned the other cameras to the cupboard and did fantasise for awhile about selling them. However after the initial infatuation dimmed a little I rediscovered the joy of using the Sinar - particularly the arTec. It is a very special camera. Sure it takes care in setting up ,is difficult to backpack with and the software takes getting used to HOWEVER when you nail the image it produces absolutely magnificent landscapes -- and of course with its tilt shift capability with all lenses it does things that the Leica can never do.So the artec is a keeper for me unless/until something better comes along. So the one left to consider selling is the Hy6. I should say I mostly use mine with manual focus on a tripod and just havent had the trouble you speak of... perhaps you should try firmware upgrade as others have mentioned. Anyway my reasoning is since I want the arTec and the back to go with it I would only have the Hy6 body and lenses to sell if I chose that path and I suspect they would not fetch a great deal of $ ,so I figure to hang on to them. Also when I have doubts I just go and touch/fondle the Schneider glass .... I know if I sold it I would just have to buy it back again later.My advice for what its worth is to spend some quality time with your arTec, only when you think you have really exhausted the possibilities with it should you consider selling. By the way I find the M9 and artec make a great combination I use the M9 to help with metering and composition.

Cheers JOHN

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    I really agree that I could/should go more often out with the main focus of photography and not with the idea to combine activity and photography..
    Maybe the deal with your family could be that 1 sunday per month or 1 sunday every 6 weeks is just for you... just for photography? I don't know :-)

My decision was based on
    a) my wish for a big/bright/interchangable viewfinder
    b) in the beginning I just focused on maybe 2-3 smaller/lighter lenses like the 40/80/150 (but later I got inclined by the "monster-lenses" 110/2.0 and 180/2.8)
    c) The 75LV is the back which was the best compromise IMO regarding noise-sensor size-flexibility (no micro lenses)-and price
    d) if using WLF the rotating back made a lot of sense to me
    e) I liked the rendering of the dalsa sensor as well as that of the Schneider lenses
    f) I thought I would use fill flash more oftne but actually I dodnt so far

The decision for the Artec was driven by the thought that specially for doing T/S plus for focus accurancy a ground glass would really make sense (and I still believe it does). The Artec is not really heavy - the draw back is that you cant handhold it and it is wider.
    As soon as you do use a griundglass the Artec should be much easier to use than a comparable camera.
    so a very well thought out selection of gear. With regard to the capabilities of the gear. Not really with regard to the way you usually shoot... at least this is how I see it (of course no criticism here!).
    A Hy6 with a 80mm feels like twice a camera like the Contax & 80mm. The arTec is more than twice the size of a Cambo WRS (however the WRS is not really lighter). The Rodenstock HR lenses are much bigger and heavier than the Digitars. Of course they provide one stop more light wide open. But they are bulkier.
    I use a (fresnel) groundglass on the WRS all the time - either with the Cambo focussing hood or, for critical focussing, with a Rodenstock 6x loupe. That's fine! Sole drawback is you have to exchange the groundglass frame with the digiback for shooting (this is the beauty of a sliding back). IMO this is very doable if you don't shoot a high amount of variations of the same motif at one location. Usually I take much more time looking at the motiv (through a small viewfinder or just the camera interface plate) than for shooting. When I am ready - so when I know the composition (at least roughly) - I built up the camera, compose, shoot. So for this style of work an exchangable groundglass is quite okay. However sometimes I'd like to have a sliding back as well (especially when it's windy or when it's raining... you have to take care for the digiback here as you move it around with the sensor uncovered. At least for a short moment. So sometimes it's a bit fiddly).

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    so a very well thought out selection of gear. With regard to the capabilities of the gear. Not really with regard to the way you usually shoot... at least this is how I see it (of course no criticism here!).
    A Hy6 with a 80mm feels like twice a camera like the Contax & 80mm.
    Thomas- the Hy6 with the 80 isnt really that big & Heavy- however the 110 is big and heavy and the bad thing is its my favourite lens.
    I agree that I could have focused more to the way I usually shoot.

My fault was that I thought that I want that MF-feeling with WLF etc and didnt think so much that I would want to start bringing the gear up a mountain or whereever.
    You got my interested to also have a look at a Contax and its lenses and see how big/small it is.

The other thing which also came to my mind earlier was that the Hassy 110/2.0 is much smaller than the Rollei (and less expensive) and if the 203/205 viewfinder are as great as it sounded earlier in this thread a used 205TC with 3 lenses could also be an option in the future if I do not get satisfied with my Hy6.
    I am quite happy that my back is so flexible and could be used on several systems.

I struggled lon to decide between Artec and Alpa but as I explained I thought the sliding back of the Artec made really sense. I took images at the beach with it for example where I was happy to not have to put the back off.

What I wish that Sinar offered also a Alpa TC like camera which accepts lenses with Artec-plate. I even thought about getting one build on my own (since I own a mechanical engineering company and we are able to machine).

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thomas have you tried a finder instead of the WLF. Myself i focus better with a finder when I shot Hassy years ago I found using a WLF a much harder focusing tool without that little magnifier that popped up. I know the Hy6 does not have one , actually just played with Son's a couple weeks ago and it hunts in low light like anyone else's but I had a little bit of a struggle with WLF but I am so used to using a regular finder that it could be me. Just wondering if you tried a regular finder at all and maybe something you may want to look at.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sequence of sentences slightly re-arranged to ease the answering...

The arTec is more than twice the size of a Cambo WRS (however the WRS is not really lighter). The Rodenstock HR lenses are much bigger and heavier than the Digitars. Of course they provide one stop more light wide open. But they are bulkier.
    I use a (fresnel) groundglass on the WRS all the time - either with the Cambo focussing hood or, for critical focussing, with a Rodenstock 6x loupe. That's fine! Sole drawback is you have to exchange the groundglass frame with the digiback for shooting (this is the beauty of a sliding back). IMO this is very doable if you don't shoot a high amount of variations of the same motif at one location. Usually I take much more time looking at the motiv (through a small viewfinder or just the camera interface plate) than for shooting. When I am ready - so when I know the composition (at least roughly) - I built up the camera, compose, shoot. So for this style of work an exchangable groundglass is quite okay. However sometimes I'd like to have a sliding back as well (especially when it's windy or when it's raining... you have to take care for the digiback here as you move it around with the sensor uncovered. At least for a short moment. So sometimes it's a bit fiddly).
    The arTec and the WRS are not really equivalent though. Apart from the mentioned sliding back, which is pretty cool combined with the GG loupe of the arTec, there is the T&S. Even for simple landscape shots the tilt can be very useful.

A Hy6 with a 80mm feels like twice a camera like the Contax & 80mm.
    I keep feeling that the Hy6 + 5 lenses might be less of a camera than the Hy6 + 2 lenses. For any given situation, not all lenses are valid choices, or one might at least decide to restrict the choice. I think that a small backpack or satchel with a light tripod and the Hy6 and 2 lenses is the best way to do mountains, probably 40+150 or so. For portraits and people, the 110 or 180 are much better.

Tom, do you really find that you use all 5 lenses? Especially 150+180 sounds a little redundant, unless you use them for different reasons, like weight for 150 and DoF for 180... I use my Contax 645 almost exclusively with 35 and 120 Makro, and rarely find that I need a different PoV.

Depending on what you want to do, it is even an option to take just one lens. At the moment I carry my Hasselblad 2000FC/M with the 110mm f/2 FE and Tri-X, as well as a Pentax Digital Spotmeter, every day. It is not so heavy or bulky, and the fast film gives me the option of leaving the tripod at home. I lose a little resolution, but that is no problem, and helps hide the slight blur that I might have due to hand-holding, should I decide to shoot in a darker situation. I might also go out with the 2000FC/M and just the 50/2.8 on a different day.

Going for a hike, you could simply say "today is a 110/2 day" and leave everything else at home. Do you have a nice, rigid, compact, light tripod?
    Last edited by carstenw; 26th January 2010 at 04:36.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You got my interested to also have a look at a Contax and its lenses and see how big/small it is.
    The Body is smaller than the S2!
    Whenever your way crosses Cologne point me an Email and I am happy to let you try my cameras/lenses...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ditto for Berlin. I even have a Sinar-Contax adapter you could try, or just borrow my Sinar as well
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Thomas have you tried a finder instead of the WLF. Myself i focus better with a finder when I shot Hassy years ago I found using a WLF a much harder focusing tool without that little magnifier that popped up.
    Actually I use the prism more often than the WLF. But in the cases I use the WLF I really don't want to miss it. I always use the pop up loupe for magnification. As I focus with split image screens this is really very easy and very accurate (unless you recompose, of course). The split image screen gives me that extra accuracy the AF might miss. You have to adjust the screen carefully to the film plane of the digiback first, of course ...
    Last edited by thomas; 26th January 2010 at 04:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    Apart from the mentioned sliding back, which is pretty cool combined with the GG loupe of the arTec, there is the T&S. Even for simple landscape shots the tilt can be very useful.
    There are TS lens panels for the Cambo available now. So this is not really a difference anymore.
    Too, there is the Arca Swiss Rm3d... the WRS is of course not the only alternative. But the WRS is clearly top 1 when it comes to the compromise of small size & light weight combined with large movements.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

There is less difference in functionality, but of course adding the T/S Panel makes the WRS both more expensive and larger, and there is the question of the accuracy of the T/S functionality compared to the movements on the arTec.

Btw, I also find both arTec and WRS very attractive, and if I ever wanted this type of camera, one of these two is almost certainly what I would get.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If the WRS had a sliding back option, I'd be all over it in a nanosecond...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I also use my prism more often with the Contax, but always carry the WLF as well. I don't like using a WLF on 645 as much as on 6x6, not least because of portrait mode.
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    You mean with or without the T/S panel? Wouldn't you need it to get front-to-back sharpness in the kinds of landscapes you do? At that point, the arTec is also a real choice (does it come with a Phase mount yet?).
    Carsten - Website

tokengirl

In the color pair, the detail was again for all intents and purposes Identical. However, color tonality was a completely different story. The color shot was of a thick forest floor, with lots of various shades of green, from blue-green to yellow greens, along with some subtle tonal gradations in the browns. Bottom line here was that in the M9 print, most of the greens all looked the same color, while in the Hassy shot you could see a wide variety of subtle color gradation.
    This is pretty much it for me. I struggle with thoughts of whether to pursue a journey into MFDB-Land or not, as I am extremely happy with my DSLR kit (Canon 5DMkII). I love the versatility, features and lens choices of my current setup. I am comfortable with my equipment. So sometimes, in more rational moments, I talk myself down from this ridiculous notion of spending more than my car cost for a fairly basic MFDB kit that will not be NEARLY as versatile as my Canon kit.

And then I think about the shades of green, because that's where I really see the biggest difference between DSLR and MFDB. Those delicate, subtle tonal differences in the greens are just lost in DSLR-land, comparatively speaking.

So I continue to dream.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is less difference in functionality, but of course adding the T/S Panel makes the WRS both more expensive and larger, and there is the question of the accuracy of the T/S functionality compared to the movements on the arTec.
    The TS lens panel is not really larger than the regular panel. It's indeed a very slick solution!
    They just should mount the lenses turned 45 - otherwise the Tilt-screw covers the distance indication on the lens
    At least me I am going to order my lenses turned 45 (even without the TS panel).

Btw, I also find both arTec and WRS very attractive, and if I ever wanted this type of camera, one of these two is almost certainly what I would get.
    And I am very, very interessted in the Arca Swiss Rm3D :-)
    Hopefully I'll get one in my hands soon to test it.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Thomas have you tried a finder instead of the WLF. Myself i focus better with a finder when I shot Hassy years ago I found using a WLF a much harder focusing tool without that little magnifier that popped up. I know the Hy6 does not have one , actually just played with Son's a couple weeks ago and it hunts in low light like anyone else's but I had a little bit of a struggle with WLF but I am so used to using a regular finder that it could be me. Just wondering if you tried a regular finder at all and maybe something you may want to look at.
    Hi Guy,
    The Hy6 WLF has the little pop up loupe and it works well.
    I also have a 45 degree finder which is very nice - in the end both work fine.
    AF is where I really have problems. I got in contact with Sinar today and probably I will send the camera in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Arca Swiss Rm3d :-)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The Body is smaller than the S2!
    Whenever your way crosses Cologne point me an Email and I am happy to let you try my cameras/lenses...
    Thank you Thomas-very nice offer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You mean with or without the T/S panel? Wouldn't you need it to get front-to-back sharpness in the kinds of landscapes you do? At that point, the arTec is also a real choice (does it come with a Phase mount yet?).
    WITH the TS panel. And yes, the Artech or the M-2 are the only current solutions that offer rise/fall/shift plus tilt AND swing with a sliding back viewing option that can also accommodate a 35mm lens...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Arca Swiss Rm3d :-)
    Only offers tilt or turned 90 degrees sideways to get swing, not both together. In my review of the Cambo TS panel, I show a very clear example of why/when BOTH together are important.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

as to the accuracy of the TS panel:
    I do not doubt that it is very accurate; Cambo is working within tolerances of 1/100mm (at least that's what they say and I have no reason to doubt it).
    But... and that's maybe a big but ... I am not sure how accurate it is over a long time. I think the mechanism is prone to go a bit baggy. Just speculation...

As to arTec vs. WRS: two different concepts. Both very strong. Actually the arTec would meet my needs better. However my "tuned" WRS meanwhile is nice to use. I've exchanged the regular GG with a fresnel GG and bought a bright and clear and perfectly to adjust 6x loupe for focussing.
    And I LOVE that integrated leveling base. I can go shooting with a small backpack with the Cambo outfit and actually don't miss anything. It's really very, very lean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Where can one actually purchase the Artech, and do they offer Mamiya plates yet?
    Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

What loupe do you use, Thomas? I need a focusing loupe for my upcoming 4x5 Chamonix, and both the Schneider and the Rodenstock loupes are 200 Euro
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Only offers tilt or turned 90 degrees sideways to get swing, not both together. In my review of the Cambo TS panel, I show a very clear example of why/when BOTH together are important.
    I see!
    It's really funny (or maybe not so funny): all these cameras provide certain features but lack of one or two features other cameras offer (due to their particular concept/design).
    So a WRS with sliding back (impossible!) or a Arca withTilt&Swing (more likely) would be nice for you... and both do not exist right now.
    The closest match seems to be the arTec. But no Mamiya Mount for you yet (AFAIK) and Rodenstock lenses only (which is - maybe - no drawback).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What loupe do you use, Thomas? I need a focusing loupe for my upcoming 4x5 Chamonix, and both the Schneider and the Rodenstock loupes are 200 Euro
    It's a Rodenstock with aspherical glass. Yes, it's quite expensive (260,- or so). I spent hours comparing... I don't know... 10? ... loupes and finally it was the Rodenstock due to the brightness, clearness, the magnification factor and the handling. Actually it was clearly the Rodenstock from the very beginning... I just thought it must be possible to get a good loupe for half the price or so. But I didn't want to make a compromise here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I see!
    It's really funny (or maybe not so funny): all these cameras provide certain features but lack of one or two features other cameras offer (due to their particular concept/design).
    So a WRS with sliding back (impossible!) or a Arca withTilt&Swing (more likely) would be nice for you... and both do not exist right now.
    The closest match seems to be the arTec. But no Mamiya Mount for you yet (AFAIK) and Rodenstock lenses only (which is - maybe - no drawback).
    Exactly, though there is the Arca M-2 option. Sinar only offering Rodenstock is fine as I really like the HR Digirons.
    Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

.... For portraits and people, the 110 or 180 are much better.

Tom, do you really find that you use all 5 lenses? Especially 150+180 sounds a little redundant..
    Carsten,
    I started with 80 of the kit, than bought the 40 and 150, 40 because its wide, 150 because it seemed like the best compromise between weight, focal length and price.
    As soon as I had the 110 this became my most used lens, because it is fast, easier to focus than the slower lenses, very short minimum focus distance, and very flexible focal length. The only dowside besides price is the weight/bulk.
    The 50 and 180 I got used later on.
    Mostly I would carry the Hy6 with 110mm and either 40 or 50mm.
    If I had to walk longer I might carry 40 and 80 because its lighter.
    I really havent used the 150 much at all.

The 180 with its longer reach and speed is very nice too but its a monster lens and you dont wat to carry it long distances. However you can shoot really special portraits with it.

I might sell the 150 and maybe even the 180 - but then as long as I own ther Hy6 system I think it is great to have those lenses together-specially since they might not be manufactured in the future any more. Plus I dont think they will loose (any more) value right now- so no rush.

What I shall do is to use the 80 more often again.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a Rodenstock with aspherical glass. Yes, it's quite expensive (260,- or so). I spent hours comparing... I don't know... 10? ... loupes and finally it was the Rodenstock due to the brightness, clearness, the magnification factor and the handling. Actually it was clearly the Rodenstock from the very beginning... I just thought it must be possible to get a good loupe for half the price or so. But I didn't want to make a compromise here.
    Wow, that really seems excessive. I only paid about 360 Euro for my Schneider APO-Symmar 210mm f/5.6 including shipping and import duties! I'll have to think about a compromise here, or really go for it.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly, though there is the Arca M-2 option.
    It would drive me crazy as hell to focus for infinity all the time without helical focus mount! I've adjusted my Digitar very carefully to my DB and it's dead on at infinity. Infinity is safe ground - that's a very good feeling!
    Of course you could engrave marks on the rail for the infinity setting of each lens. But is that really accurate enough with your P65+? I doubt so...

Sinar only offering Rodenstock is fine as I really like the HR Digirons.
    on an arTec these lenses make perfectly sense. But the Digitars (beside the symetrical design) are light and small... if this is what you are up to.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Where can one actually purchase the Artech, and do they offer Mamiya plates yet?
    I would call/mail Sinar in Switzerland and ask them for the US.
    After some reoranization Sinar has now also sales and service contacts for me directly in Germany - and people in both countries (Switzerland and Germany) are really nice and helpful.

I just asked if it is possible to build a Artec from Hy6 mount to V-Mount and it is possible. I dont know if they offer Mamiya mount allready, or only Hy6 and V-mount of today.

Overall I am very happy with Sinar people and help here in Germany. Also everything I bought so far was very open and nice communication plus delievered and demonstrated to my home place.

The Sinar website says for USA:
    USA Bron Imaging Group
    17 Progress Street
    Edison, N.J. 08820
    Phone: (+1) 908 754 58 00
    Fax: (+1) 908 754 58 07
    E-Mail: [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It would drive me crazy as hell to focus for infinity all the time without helical focus mount!
    Yup. Precisely the issue. What I need simply isn't available and why I don't own a tech camera yet!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Sinar website says for USA:
    USA Bron Imaging Group
    17 Progress Street
    Edison, N.J. 08820
    Phone: (+1) 908 754 58 00
    Fax: (+1) 908 754 58 07
    E-Mail: [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
    Unfortunately I have had only bad experiences with Bron US -- won't return calls, won't respond to questions via email -- seriously, they may as well not even have representation here.
    Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

It would drive me crazy as hell to focus for infinity all the time without helical focus mount! I've adjusted my Digitar very carefully to my DB and it's dead on at infinity. Infinity is safe ground - that's a very good feeling!
    Of course you could engrave marks on the rail for the infinity setting of each lens. But is that really accurate enough with your P65+? I doubt so...

on an arTec these lenses make perfectly sense. But the Digitars (beside the symetrical design) are light and small... if this is what you are up to.
    The Artec Rodenstock lenses infinity is calibrated for the Artec- so when you turn the focus to the end you are exactly at infinity.

Size of the lenses also depends on focal length.
    The 35mm Rodenstock is not that bad.
    I prefer the faster lenses plus not to need to use a center filter.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately I have had only bad experiences with Bron US -- won't return calls, won't respond to questions via email -- seriously, they may as well not even have representation here.
    Sorry to hear that. If you are really interested I would just call in Switzerland directly and ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Artec Rodenstock lenses infinity is calibrated for the Artec- so when you turn the focus to the end you are exactly at infinity.
    Yes, I know. That's a good thing!
    The question remains how accurate will be the calibration for a Hassy-, Leaf- or Phase-Back in different mounts. The Cambo lenses ship calibrated as well - however my Contax-Mount Phase Back didn't match the calibration exactly. So I fine-tuend it by myself...

I prefer the faster lenses plus not to need to use a center filter.
    I don't use a center filter with my Digitar either.
    Faster lenses means better viewing conditions on the GG as well - that's a clear upside of the Rodentock HRs.
    Downside is mustache distortion. The Digitars distort as well (slightly) - but the distortion correction software has less to interpolate when the capture shows only slight linear distortion - IMO. But that's just a guess based on my experience with other lenses - I've never compared a 40mm Rodentsock with a 47XL Digitar (unfortunately).
    Besides the image circle of the 47XL (and the upcoming 43XL) is really huge and sometimes I use all of it when stitching.
    So... different tools... :-)

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you say the Hassy 203 has the brightest viewfinder/easiest to focus-would this also apply for the 205? Are you saying that Hassy viewfinder is brighter than the Rollei?
    It's not so much a question of being brighter as much as it is that the viewfinder on the Hassy 203 just snaps into focus. I had the 205 for a while, and sold it because I just didn't use it. The finder on that camera was remarkable as well. It's not a question of the camera, 203 vs 205, it's a question of which finder you get. Mine is a vertical split image with microprism collar which Son (who sources these for me) tells me is quite expensive... well worth whatever it costs IMHO.

As far as the 110mm lenses go I can't really say I have much of a preference between the Rollei and Hassy versions. I like the size of the Hassy but that silky smooth focusing on the Rollei is very special. If size is a major consideration consider shooting the Hassy 110 version on the Contax 645 with a MAM-1 (or better yet one of Son's adapters) works great if you don't mind stopping down the lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually, the HR Digirons have been designed with longer flange focals than their marked focal -- retrofocus designs actually. While this makes them physically larger than a symmetrical counterpart, it also allows for enough additional room between the lens and back for the movements...
    Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    It's not so much a question of being brighter as much as it is that the viewfinder on the Hassy 203 just snaps into focus. I had the 205 for a while, and sold it because I just didn't use it. The finder on that camera was remarkable as well. It's not a question of the camera, 203 vs 205, it's a question of which finder you get. Mine is a vertical split image with microprism collar which Son (who sources these for me) tells me is quite expensive... well worth whatever it costs IMHO.
    Here is on other area where I could get improvement-my screen right now is NOT split screen and no micro prisms just plain bright screen (standard Hy6). Maybe I should see to get a second screen with split screen for manual focus and maybe with micro prisms.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta love this! You come in here wondering about selling something, get consolation and advice, your wallet is out again Gear slut doesn't cover it, we're gear whores!
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta love this! You come in here wondering about selling something, get consolation and advice, your wallet is out again Gear slut doesn't cover it, we're gear whores!
    Carsten, as I wrote it I thought the same.

However to be frankly, if I did not have allready spent that much money in the MF I would take a different approach today.
    I would not spend that much in money in such short time and first work with max 3 lenses.
    My first start into MF was with a used ZD (integrated body) and 3 older lenses and in the end this might have been the point where I should have stopped.

Today I feel that once I have sorted out some issues (where I got a lot of help here) I still need to find out how it works for me.

Overall I am still in the process of reducing the amount of gear I own..... I allready started to pack some boxes to get them ready for sale.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Just for the record - I spoke to Sinar Service yesterday and there seems to be hope that in case of my Hy6 body-ser.# and FW-Version Sinar can improve the AF-performance. So my Hy6 will travel to Sinar soon.

Even if I dont expect wonders I hope the AF will become usable from not being usable as it is right now.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

That is positive about the Hy6. Maybe if the AF issue is sorted, you then find how you want to use it.

What are you packing and selling, the D3x?
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

the same thing here.. I think it's just not worth going in Sinar direction
    plus I have hard time selling some of my Sinar stuff anyways..

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSK Rangefinder View Post
    the same thing here.. I think it's just not worth going in Sinar direction
    plus I have hard time selling some of my Sinar stuff anyways..
    Too bad that Sinar in the US seems to give such bad response - very good here in Germany, even during re-structuring process.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom, could you email me the contact information to Sinar after the restructure? I should really send my back/adapter/camera in for a checkup.
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

That is positive about the Hy6. Maybe if the AF issue is sorted, you then find how you want to use it.

What are you packing and selling, the D3x?
    If I get a reasonable price the d3x will be part of it. I might replace it with a smaller and less expensive body, either a D700 or the D700II/X or however they will call it. I also might reduce the number of lenses I have for the Nikon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I really don't know what to say, i just read the OP post and few posts after and i couldn't go and read the entire thread, English is not my first language and to read long thread and posts and try to translate most of it or read very slowly will take me ages to complete, that with many another threads i want to read.

Anyway, i really don't now why i joined this forum here as i don't feel i do anything here rather than reading, and even the shots i posted are not that appealing to most here as they all are pro level and have high end gear, so i just keep watching and reading.

I am so lost in Photography, and many people calling me crazy because i go with gear a lot and i still see myself i am beyond of many here in gear, and about the skill or talent, i am really don't care much about that because my situations are very bad and can't help for creativity and talented work, and many don't know about my bad situations and they keep telling me that i can do amazing regardless of my bad situations but really they don't know. I do my best always but really i need years and years but mostly i think i need to change my place of living as well.

I started late in photography, late 2005, first bought Nikon Coolpix 8800 then first DSLR Canon 350D, after that within about 2 years i bought 6 more Canon DSLRs, then last year i added H3DII-39mp to my collection, all my shots by this MF is just snapshots or test shots, maybe some of my daughters or family i like but nothing at all as pro level and many will tell me that i can do home studio with my family with any of my Canon DSLRs and enough [no need for MF], but it is a lust, this forum and LL making us to go with higher end gear even we don't need it, i added also 501CM [body only] and Mamiya RZ67II [Body only too] to have film camera, and i did that trade-in of my H3D for H4D, at the end i found myself i did nothing much in photography, didn't sell one photo, maybe get paid very few times but not enough at all for what i have, and i am a landscapes and outdoor addiction guy but not in my area, so i always or almost use my Canon 1DsII/1DsIII for my landscapes and i use MF only for indoors [studio, still life,...etc], so i really don't know what i can reply on your OP, i feel i am happy with gear only and i have some work that i am really happy with and proud, but looking at others who are selling work or have less gear and more work and even those who have too many gear regardless of their work i feel myself i am just in another planet alone, don't know what to do, i can't really work hard in photography to get better, i mean what i need to do if i read about all photography rules, conditions, art, story, feelings, ...etc and still nothing that can i compete with, all what i do is just to enjoy myself as some said and can't do what some others telling me to compete and start pro world.

I am very happy with my MF even i don't use it that much [and i am sure i used it less than yours even with my DSLRs].

Post Thanks / Like

Dynamic range

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Professional, I find it interesting that you feel that your results are not as good as those of many of the pros here (I feel the same), but at the same time, you took the userid "Professional"? Why not just use your name?

Anyway, I am not quite sure what your main message was. Although you do seem to be satisfied in the end, given your equipment, your results and your situation in total, there is also some uncertainty and insecurity about how good your photos are. If I recall correctly, you have posted some nice portraits of your daughter here? Clearly you have some skill.

I read a quote by Ansel Adams that he reckoned that he got 12 good shots per year. 12! Ansel Adams! I agree with him, I get about 12 good shots per year, but not Ansel Adams-good

---

I had feelings of insecurity about my photography not being so great for a long time. I took many photos, but drifted style-wise, trying this and that, some street, some landscape, some architecture, some travel, some animals, but never really found anything to keep my interest permanently, and I didn't grow much, I just got technically better with time. There were some really good shots in between which kept me going, but never with any regularity, and there was a lot of mediocre shots in between the good ones, not to speak of plain bad ones.

Recently, I lived close to a little cemetary and made it a habit of walking through it with a camera on my way to work each morning. Slowly I started exploring the cemetary's corners, and the various motifs in it. My results slowly improved, but somehow my interest was steady the whole time. Something about the quiet place, the lack of people and noise, the slightly old feel and the materials in a cemetary, and the fallen stones, the rusted fences and so on fed my creativity.

I moved a bit further away, the side entrance I used was closed off, and I stopped going there. After a while, I started make special trips there to make more photos again, this time not with my Canon 5D (which I sold because I never warmed up to the results), nor with my M8 (which isn't really the right camera for tight framing and close-ups), but with my new-old Contax 645 AF and 35mm and 120mm Makro lenses, high-res B&W film, and a tripod. I reshot my old favorites, and started exploring more, and this time the results started feeling good. I started visiting other cemetaries, and each time, it takes me about an hour to get into my flow, but then I continue on my project and my collection of good shots is slowly growing.

At some point, I decided to make a formal, long-term project out of it: Old Cemetaries of Berlin. At some point, I will have done enough, and will end it properly, but for now, it is still going strong.

Oddly, for the first time in a long time (forever?), my gear-lust abated. The Contax 645 AF, 35mm and 120mm were simply enough. I got all that I wanted with them, and the 55mm, 210mm and 350mm lenses which I had considered never got bought. I did get into situations where I wished I had some movements, to avoid a tree but still get a squared-up result, to straighten some perspective lines, to tilt the focus plane, and so now I have decided to get a 4x5 field camera, with 90mm and 210mm lenses, and continue my project with them, perhaps re-shooting the best of the shots which I could have done better with movements.

Another odd thing that happened is that I stopped caring that much what other people thought of my shots. I feel that they are good, that they are right, and it pleases me if others like them, but if not, oh well, not important. They are good to me. I never felt like that before.

I have now started thinking about other favorite shots as projects as well, and I think I know what my next project will be when this one is done, but it can wait. 1 year, 2 years, however long, until I am done with this one, and ready for the next. I think I might even know what the project after the next is going to be Somehow my thinking about photography is completely changed. I separated casual and serious photography completely, and enjoy it much more as a result.

---

I, of course, make other photos in between, with other cameras, but I have no other serious projects, and the quality of the other shots is less crucial, just my project shots must, for me, be really good.

Long boring story, but here is my point: just keep shooting, and explore different things. At some point, you will find something which holds your interest for more than one visit. go back, and keep going back. Find the best kit for that situation and keep shooting it. Build up the understanding of the kit, the subject and the quality of the shots.

Sooner or later in the growth of every photographer, I think a point comes when it is no longer about experimenting with this or that genre, but about projects with specific themes. One can of course have multiple projects going at the same time, but one at a time has a special power, I think.

Here is one shot from my project which I really like. I do need to clean the negative and rescan it. There are loads of little dust spots on my current scan.

Attachment 27160
    Last edited by carstenw; 27th January 2010 at 13:56.
    Carsten - Website