Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Why do you use MF? or: I am in the MF crisis...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why do you use MF? or: I am in the MF crisis...

I agree well said. You need a good image to begin with before you begin the processing process. A good image will result in an image that turns out well in pp just as a mediocre image will remain just that no matter how its processed; believe me been there done that.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    for me the keyword in the quote is "my" ("my prints" ...)

Not sure I get your point. Of course they are his prints. In the case of the OP, I believe he is sole judge of what he wants from his prints ... it doesn't sound like he is shooting for hire and has a client need.

The fact that he said "almost" all of his prints indicates he believes that at least some of the time the use of MF will offer something more that he actually would like to have in his prints.

Hence my question to him ... are you will to give that up for those times where almost isn't good enough. In no way does that statement apply to everybody .. each person sets their own standards and expectations.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    Not sure I get your point. Of course they are his prints. In the case of the OP, I believe he is sole judge of what he wants from his prints ... it doesn't sound like he is shooting for hire and has a client need.

The fact that he said "almost" all of his prints indicates he believes that at least some of the time the use of MF will offer something more that he actually would like to have in his prints.

Hence my question to him ... are you will to give that up for those times where almost isn't good enough. In no way does that statement apply to everybody .. each person sets their own standards and expectations.
    Wayne, good question and frankly if I think about it ...I have not printed enough big prints from the M9 to judge how much of a compromise it is.

Reading all those great comments here I now feel that I do not want to give up MF. MP and room for big prints being one of the reasons.

I am really motivated now to make my MF gear work.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread points out the difference between picking gear, and getting what you can, and picking the right tool for what you want to shoot.
    I do mostly travel shooting;that means I need to select a system and live with it.

At various times I have used:
    R9/DMR and 15mm to 280/4 lenses (corsica Mt trek!)
    Contax and Kodak Back
    M8 Central Europe countries
    M8 Austrian Alps
    Contax and Alpa w Phase 65+ (35mm to 140mm +1.4x)

In each case I found I was compromising, but also optomizing. If the MF misses some neat city street shots, and if the 35mm is not quite up to landscapes from Mt Blanc, so be it.

That said, I think you are ALWAYS stuck with one camera for opportunistic shots; just luck (e.g. having P65+ and a 140mm for a Mt rescue sequence.) or an M8 for a shot from the drivers seat (don't tell! :-)

I enjoy all in different ways. The question here is; do you like photography as a sport (and play several) or are you into ONE and want to play ONE position (say 2nd base for Yankees ) ?
    In former, you need variety, if latter (say Portrait), 3 med-long lenses for a Phase with anything and great light setup.)

If I think "I'm a photographer on this trek" then I just naturally gravitate to what I think the equipment wilkl be best at, But NEVER ignore a neat shot (like a great sunrise in Bonifacio with a 10MP DMR!)

Regards
    Victor

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Just to let you know...decided to reduce my DSLR-equipment and sold my D3x.
    My plan is to use the MF gear when I have the time and the passion and for more static subjects (but also for portraits) and the M9 when I want a smaller kit, low light photography, more dynamic, intuitive images.
    That leaves the DSLR for sports/action/sometimes for the kids (they do move quickly)/tele work. Here a good AF, good high ISO are what I want plus I want it in a body which is not too big&scary.
    I will replace the d3x with a smaller body soon.
    If I want the high resolution I will use MF.

I am loading off some other stuff I still own - if anybody is interested I will be open to give a "discount" for forum members. I put it on ebay since this forum here is mostly american and I believe most would prefer to buy in America.
    http://shop.ebay.de/t_streng/m.html?...&_trksid=p4340
    Last edited by Paratom; 1st February 2010 at 23:59.